Author Topic: TG3 BL82 12v to 5v ( volt mod )  (Read 24411 times)

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
Re: TG3 BL82 12v to 5v ( volt mod )
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 04 September 2013, 12:40:22 »
Yeah, if I was going to spend a hundred bucks on a used keyboard with clears, I'd just say screw it and go for a Code. I know then I'd be getting a layout I like, and warranty

Probably the wisest course of action, frankly.  The Code looks pretty sweet....

Offline Hellmark

« Reply #51 on: Wed, 04 September 2013, 15:46:53 »
If I had the money, I would. Unfortunately, not the case. Earlier this year, I lost my job, plus made jack diddly before then, so accumulated debt before I got my current job. Plus good amount of medical bills. I was in a car accident, and insurance is dragging their feet on paying the bills (just got a notice today that one of the bills from April is going to collection, and the insurance company says they're still processing payment for it.), plus my wife had a pulmonary embolism in July, so I have had a good amount of medical bills (even with her medical insurance, we're still having to pay a couple grand out of pocket).

I've been trying to look at different budget boards for this reason. Been looking on ebay and the like as well.

Right now, my job is on a contract basis, so fingers crossed that I get made a direct report (as in, no contract) when my contract comes up next month. That would make things much better.

Offline Thechemist

« Reply #52 on: Wed, 13 November 2013, 13:49:23 »
Great job Phoenix, were you able to finish the project; keep us updated.  :thumb:

Offline phoenix1234

« Reply #53 on: Wed, 13 November 2013, 22:12:59 »
Great job Phoenix, were you able to finish the project; keep us updated.  :thumb:

Sorry, I forgot to update this project.  :D
The converter works out of the box and there is no issue with led dimming function.
Thechemist, thank you for your advise. It is actually the best solution for modding this keyboard  :thumb:.

We need to solder all leds in order to make all leds be turned on (because of the circuit design)
I am going to take some pictures of the final work.
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 November 2013, 22:16:52 by phoenix1234 »
I like linear switches

Offline Thechemist

« Reply #54 on: Wed, 13 November 2013, 22:55:01 »

Sorry, I forgot to update this project.  :D
The converter works out of the box and there is no issue with led dimming function.
Thechemist, thank you for your advise. It is actually the best solution for modding this keyboard  :thumb:.

We need to solder all leds in order to make all leds be turned on (because of the circuit design)
I am going to take some pictures of the final work.

Looks great, update us with your awesome pictures.  ;D

Offline phoenix1234

« Reply #55 on: Wed, 13 November 2013, 23:20:15 »
Here they are.

Back of the keyboard. As you can see, the converter solution is the simplest solution, we don't need to cut the cable, modify the voltage or any other heavy changes.

Lowest visible led mode :

Highest visible led mode :
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 November 2013, 23:24:20 by phoenix1234 »
I like linear switches

Offline Thechemist

« Reply #56 on: Thu, 14 November 2013, 07:47:29 »
Here they are.

Back of the keyboard. As you can see, the converter solution is the simplest solution, we don't need to cut the cable, modify the voltage or any other heavy changes.
Show Image

Lowest visible led mode :
Show Image

Highest visible led mode :
Show Image

Thanks for the update, keyboard looks great.
« Last Edit: Thu, 14 November 2013, 11:17:19 by Thechemist »

Offline Gid

• ... morning already?
« Reply #57 on: Sat, 01 October 2016, 18:32:48 »
Hello.  I have been following this guide in getting my own TG3 BL82 with MX Clears to shine.  So far, it hasn't.

I have been using this converter, as the one mentioned is no longer available.  I wire it into place with jumper wires, upon which the converter's on-board LED indicator goes off.  The keyboard sends input to the computer fine.  But the LEDs don't budge.  I tried changing their brightness levels with Fn + 1-7, but no dice.

Am I using the right converter module?

Edit:  Well, I just noticed the MX Clear BL82 does not respond to Fn + 1-7.  I should have tried Fn + ↑.  Ah well.  Tomorrow.

2018-08-03:  The original part is back on eBay at $4.49 for two pieces.  My keyboard is finally lit.  Notes:

· Don't solder ground (bottom wire, colored white in Thechemist's diagrams) to the back of the connector.  Crimp a ring connector and take it straight to the corner, just like the grounded wire already there.
· The MX Clear version of the BL82 has many more steps of brightness than does the MX Black version (which only has 7 + off, IIRC).  Brightness controls feel analog.
· The MX Clear version starts out at 100% brightness by default (as opposed to a brightness level of 5 with the MX Black version).
· Finally, LEDs of the MX Clear version automatically turn off after an idling period of, I dunno, maybe 10 minutes.  It's a welcome feature.
« Last Edit: Fri, 03 August 2018, 17:43:41 by Gid »