Author Topic: IBM Trackpoint question for modding  (Read 2230 times)

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
IBM Trackpoint question for modding
« on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 21:26:39 »

The separate full size keyboard track point with it's own little pcb has been available to mod via the IBM KPD8923 for quite a while. I heard a rumor that the IBM RT3200 V:5NTW may be constructed like the IBM KPD8923. If this is true, it would be another source of the coveted trackpoints for mods we've used. Is there anyone who has one or can find a pic of the interior of one of these? I've taken a look and have come up dry.

The only other option is to finally take the more readily accessible laptop track points and Gorilla Glue an extention. Which I will do soon if this rumor proves to be false.

The second question is has anyone determined an easily accessible, inexpensive, laptop track point to use?

I posted this on DT as well.
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 October 2012, 21:32:17 by input nirvana »
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline forcefollow

Re: IBM Trackpoint question for modding
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 13 October 2012, 00:03:27 »
got one from neko's keyboard room

look almost the same height with the one in my M13, if not shorter.

-posted this on DT as well, in case anybody have one and would like to compare with M13's

Edit: that NMB domes look so similar with those in dell quiet touch

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 13 October 2012, 00:39:36 »
At some point, I need to open up the Kinesis wiki and have others jump in and fix it and add to it. Several track point sources are needed.   www.keyboardmods.com stated that he got track points from Synaptics.

A pic of his 'mystery gear'.
5943-0
« Last Edit: Sat, 13 October 2012, 00:50:49 by input nirvana »
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 13 October 2012, 12:33:26 »
LOOK!!!

IBM keybord...looks like it has a separate pcb like the KPD8923. To bad I can't read anything.

Any help finding out what part this is....
Scroll down to the pics of the IBM Thinkpad.

http://alpha.mixi.co.jp/2011/10803/
« Last Edit: Wed, 17 October 2012, 12:44:04 by input nirvana »

Offline neoezekiel

• My GW2 Guild - The Fallen Souls [SouL]
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 10:54:52 »
Sorry to necro an old thread but I have two of these that I got from a friend, they are still being sold (by Lenovo) and do in fact have separate boards for the track point.

I was really surprised because I have been looking for trackpoints for a mod for a while now and never thought to check the newer boards.

The model number of the two I have is 55Y9003 and has 3 buttons.

Now I am super excited to get modding :D

Too bad I have other work that takes priority :(
WTB: Cherry G80-2550, GnCC/CCnG sets, led mx greens, mx dark greys, Plate Design Service, Case Design Service