Author Topic: a glass displaying cabinet to show off my collection  (Read 5729 times)

Offline phx

a glass displaying cabinet to show off my collection
« on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 12:21:38 »
I've been collecting keyboards and caps for a while now, one day I realized that it's kinda of a waste to leave them in boxes so I decided to get a glass cabinet to show them off.

Parts:
- Detolf glass-door cabinet from IKEA ($65)
- 4 pieces of 15 1/8" x 11 1/4" glass, 1/8" thick, seamed edge finish, custom cut from local glass shop. ($35)
- 6 packs of 1/4" wire rope clamp, 3 in each pack, 18 clamps total, from Home Depot ($20)
- 1 battery powered LED light from Home Depot ($6)
TOTAL: $126

Step 1:
Assembling the glass cabinet was pretty easy, the cabinet itself is pretty heavy so you might want someone to help you. Wear gloves if you are paranoid about getting fingerprints on the glasses.
Finished product: (taken from IKEA website)

The problem with this is that there are only 4 shelves, I have more than 4 keyboards. The cabinet is only wide enough for TKL and smaller, full keyboards will not fit. Time to get modding!

Step 2:
Using the rope clamps, fasten them to the 4 metal poles, this is to hold the additional glass panels you will add later.
Measure out the appropriate height and get a piece of cardboard or something cut to that length so you don't have to measure it every time. Make sure you tighten everything in the end with a wrench.
Apologies for the potato photos.

NOTE: You want to buy clamps that have a bit of concave on the sides so the glass door will not hit it when you try to open/close it.

Step 3:
Add the glass panels, adjust the clamps if needed.
Finished product:

Afterthought:
- All cabinets are slightly different, I suggest you measure your own and not follow my measurements.
- My glass panels are a bit short lengthwise, they still sit on the clamps but it could have been better if they were maybe half a inch longer. Again, measure your own cabinet.

Final product with my keyboard collection, the size is 16 3/4" wide, 64 1/8" tall

top to bottom: 6 QFRs, greens with CCnG, blues with Rain Drop, whites with Lilly, reds with RA2, 62g clears and blacks. Model M at the bottom (yeah I had to take the last shelf out)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: a glass displaying cabinet to show off my collection
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 12:23:56 »
Very nice!!

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 12:26:15 »
Nice collection, nice mods, nice cap choices, and nice cabinet!
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline Dgsbllx

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 12:28:26 »
Real nice idea, actually looks like a museum display piece!

Lol'd at Model M though the damn beast

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 12:31:07 »
nice, need something like that for my ssks. :)

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 12:31:41 »
Yeah... time to cut that Model M down to size.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 12:33:21 »
Maybe you could add uv protection to the glass to prevent the boards from yellowing

Offline phx

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 12:39:05 »
Maybe you could add uv protection to the glass to prevent the boards from yellowing

hmm, good point but it's too much work for me :|
plus, the cabinet sits pretty far away from the window and afaik ordinary incandescent light bulbs dont give off much UV anyway.

I also thought about making the cabinet air tight by using some foamed edges around the door, but then that would make it ugly looking and ruin the overall transparency.
and maybe there an alternative way to mount the glass panels, the clamps don't look all that pleasing.
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 October 2013, 12:40:36 by phx »