Author Topic: Yet Another OrthoLinear Keyboard 60% (Yaolk60 ?)  (Read 3505 times)

Offline gcollic

Yet Another OrthoLinear Keyboard 60% (Yaolk60 ?)
« on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 03:13:20 »
I'm creating a keyboard inspired by typematrix and planck : Yet Another OrthoLinear Keyboard 60% (still not sure how to call it. Yaolk60 ?).

(the 2 parts are on a single board)

http://imgur.com/a/guPh1

What I try to do :

After 3 years of Das Keyboard 3 (iso blank with black switches) and then 4 years of typematrix (blank, and, hum, scissor switches...), I'm waiting for ergodox successors like Axios and the K80CS / Katy.

But splitted keyboard don't seem to be easy to use on the go or on the couch, and axios won't be available before a long time. So I decided to create something else to keep using on the go when I will have an axios at home or at work.

• ortholinear (or maybe staggered like ergodox ?)
  • more compact than typematrix
  • symmetrical when possible (as many columns on right side than on left)
  • hands further moved apart than typematrix, but on a single board unlike ergodox. The space between the hands will make room for the teensy, for a thinner case
  • easy to get sculptured keycaps profile, based on 105 keys iso sets (no 1.5 modifiers madness), like WASD one
  • fn layout with arrows
  • lots of key shortcuts easy to do even with fn-layer keys (alt-f3, win-arrow, alt-enter, altgr-space, ...)
  • left "fn" for momentary arrow session, and right "fn lock" for longer numpad session
  • only the more easy to use key are used when I use my customized compact bépo layout (french dvorak)
  • every iso keys should be available when I need to use a standard layout such as french azerty
  • french azerty keycaps for colleagues, or during remote desktop session on computer without bépo
  • maybe a partial hardware "azerty to bépo" conversion layout (complete support is impossible, since a lot of bépo keys don't exists on azerty or qwerty, contrary to "qwerty to dvorak" conversion layout)
  • maybe a mouse layer

There is still some keys I'm not sure what to do with.