Author Topic: Steezus's Orion v2 Build Log  (Read 4624 times)

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
Steezus's Orion v2 Build Log
« on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 12:25:28 »
Steezus's Orion v2 Build Log

The Orion v2 was one of the first customs that I laid my eyes on when I first came to Geekhack. It then sparked my interest in keyboards, wanting to build and collect as many boards as possible. This is my first ever Korean board and I am more than pleased by the quality. The board arrived Saturday, November 21st, 2015. I was so excited to finally get the board that I spent the entire day working on it. This is my second board I have ever built and I am very pleased with my work. I do end a making a few dumb mistakes like clipping half the switches before I realized I forgot stabs, oops. My other mistake was  messing up the polarity of the LEDs, I like to sip socket all my switches so I saved myself a lot of pain.

I was planning on doing a much more detailed build log but I was quite excited to get my board done and had company over so my time was limited.

My overall plan for the board is:
  • Orion v2 Winkeyless Black Aluminum Top with Silver Aluminum Bottom
  • Plastic Plate
  • 65g Tactile Zealio Switches, Sip-Sockets and Pink LEDs
  • Gold Stabilizers
  • GMK Hyperfuse
  • GMK CMYW Modifier Set

Orion v2 Kit

The PCB came with the RGB LEDs, Diodes, Resistors, and Controller pre-soldered saving me a bunch of time.

Switches and LEDs Soldered

Soldering this board was pretty straight forward, probably the easiest board I've built yet. Got a little ahead of myself and put the board together and forgot to take some progress shots. I'll open it back up and show some shots eventually.

Finished Product

Orion v2 w/OTD Red Alert

Orion v2 w/JTK Stormtrooper

What's Next?

I am still waiting on my Hyperfuse set, I bought it off a fellow member who purchased it on the very last day of the group buy. Luckily though it seems like the last of the sets are being shipped out and then my board will be complete. My OTD Red Alert is going to be on my Jane CE when I receive and build that.

Log Edit:
11/22/2015 - Added some nights shots, board is keymapped to my liking with red accents and dimmed pink LEDs
11/23/2015 - Added new Bro Caps, Bloodlust and Feast of Blood Lycans
12/14/2015 - Removed and uploaded new pictures of the final product, new camera!
12/30/2015 - Added more pictures, ended up trading the Booper artisans since the hyperfuse set is taking really long to get here.
01/16/2016 - Added some pictures with JTK Stormtrooper on the board.
« Last Edit: Sat, 16 January 2016, 15:05:18 by Steezus »
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline filphil

• One day I hope to find a love like JD and Turk
Re: Steezus's Orion v2 Build Log
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 16:54:59 »
BRUH.  Those LEDS

I need to get in-switch LEDS on mine but idk if seth will every get around to sending those out soon(if at all). 

How did you feel about your spacebar?  idk if it's because the sound is muted but the spacebar was the most dramatic difference to me compared to a metal plate.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 17:46:06 »
BRUH.  Those LEDS

I need to get in-switch LEDS on mine but idk if seth will every get around to sending those out soon(if at all). 

How did you feel about your spacebar?  idk if it's because the sound is muted but the spacebar was the most dramatic difference to me compared to a metal plate.

Haha thanks I love the pink LEDs, my first time ever using them. I've been reading about Seth's groupbuy. It's a shame he got he's over his head with something around 40k LEDs to sort count.

I actually really like the feel of the spacebar. It was odd at first but after typing on the board it's fantastic. The sound is pretty muted, it doesn't give the distinct thock sound. I'm actually pretty happy about it, with the plastic plate I can still use tactile switches without annoying anyone around me. Thanks again filphil, I wouldn't have this board if it wasn't for you. :thumb:

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 14:54:40 »
Added some night pics and bro caps. I'm really the look of this board, I may almost use hyperfuse for something else now.

Offline filphil

• One day I hope to find a love like JD and Turk
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 16:32:22 »
Added some night pics and bro caps. I'm really the look of this board, I may almost use hyperfuse for something else now.

I actually wanted to use hyperfuse on that board.  It would great to see that if you can spare the time.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 16:39:17 »

I actually wanted to use hyperfuse on that board.  It would great to see that if you can spare the time.

I'll definitely put the set on once I get it and snag some pics. I also got CMYW modifiers that I'm planning on putting as well. The Pink goes so well with RA that I may put it on my Jane CE.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 14 December 2015, 17:31:24 »
Bump, removed those the terrible phone pics and uploaded some taken from the new camera. :D

Finally my board looks as good as it does in person. :p

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 14 December 2015, 17:33:58 »
That's a really good looking board!

Think you need one of this? http://world.taobao.com/item/43476634409.htm?fromSite=main&spm=a1z3o.7695460.14.135.NaBYJV (RA)
:D
Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 14 December 2015, 17:34:51 »
Thanks for sharing your build. I really enjoy reading these. Well done on the photos too.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 14 December 2015, 17:38:03 »
That's a really good looking board!

Think you need one of this? http://world.taobao.com/item/43476634409.htm?fromSite=main&spm=a1z3o.7695460.14.135.NaBYJV (RA)
:D

Thank you! Yes I've been dying for a GMK RA and Olivetti sets, they're really pricey and hard to find though for the most part. I ended up paying a fair bit OTD RA as well, light bleed sucks though. :(

Edit: Although ~$170 isn't too bad for each set, thought it would be over $200 each. Once I get the funds and a proxy I will make sure to jump on that.

Thanks for sharing your build. I really enjoy reading these. Well done on the photos too.

Thank you very much, I usually plan on a much more detailed, helpful build log but I get too anxious when the board arrives and just put it together haha. I still have another build log to post as well for my Jane, and more boards after that. :thumb:
« Last Edit: Mon, 14 December 2015, 17:40:10 by Steezus »

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 14 December 2015, 22:12:14 »

Thank you very much, I usually plan on a much more detailed, helpful build log but I get too anxious when the board arrives and just put it together haha. I still have another build log to post as well for my Jane, and more boards after that. :thumb:

I'll be looking forward to it. Us noobs need all the step by step pictures we can get, and it's good motivation.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 14 December 2015, 22:14:08 »

I'll be looking forward to it. Us noobs need all the step by step pictures we can get, and it's good motivation.

Just posted my Jane Build Log(in my signature), I tried to be a little more detailed on the the diodes and resistors. Hopefully once Jane CE comes around I can do a step by step guide to help people out.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 30 December 2015, 21:10:22 »
Still haven't received my Hyperfuse set yet, grew impatient and traded off the matching Booper artisans. I took a few more shots the other night and added the ones that I'm pleased with, deleted a few pics as well so the page doesn't take too long to load.

Offline whmeltonjr

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 30 December 2015, 21:26:11 »
I don't think you really need an Orion V2 and TWO TGR Janes do you? You should just send one of those my way.  :p

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 30 December 2015, 21:34:55 »
I don't think you really need an Orion V2 and TWO TGR Janes do you? You should just send one of those my way.  :p

Haha the more the better. :p

But I may have gotten a little ahead of myself with spending and may need to shorten my collection a bit, I just like building boards so much so I'll take any excuse to build more.

Offline whmeltonjr

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 30 December 2015, 21:37:04 »

But I may have gotten a little ahead of myself with spending and may need to shorten my collection a bit, I just like building boards so much so I'll take any excuse to build more.

Feel free to PM me for my address any time to lighten the load.  :thumb: All kidding aside, that's a great looking V2 (not that I've seen a bad looking one). What do you think of it compared to your Jane?

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 30 December 2015, 21:46:05 »

Feel free to PM me for my address any time to lighten the load.  :thumb: All kidding aside, that's a great looking V2 (not that I've seen a bad looking one). What do you think of it compared to your Jane?

Thank you very much, I agree that I can't think of a bad looking Orion out there.

I have to admit, I do like it much better than the Jane due to a few reasons. The build quality is superb, the Orion definitely takes the cake in that aspect especially considering the anodization. I'd say the main reason overall why I like the Orion v2 better is because of the firmware but that's some that is out of yuktsi's control. Leeku's TX87 PCB for the Jane is nice but the firmware lacks some key features. For instance, there is no feature to adjust the in-switch LED brightness control and no MX Lock feature either. The Orion was also much easier to understand the firmware and change it to my liking. I'm looking forward to the Jane CE because I was told that the build quality and anodization is much better than the r1 Jane. Don't get me wrong though, the r1 Jane is still a fantastic board, it's just that the Orion v2 may possibly the best.

My opinion may change though once I receive the matching numpad for my Jane, then it will probably be my go to board.

Offline whmeltonjr

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 30 December 2015, 22:32:02 »
Thanks for the comparison. I ultimately passed on the Jane because I wanted an Orion. I found out about geekhack too late to get one unfortunately. Maybe V3  :))

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 30 December 2015, 23:24:37 »
Thanks for the comparison. I ultimately passed on the Jane because I wanted an Orion. I found out about geekhack too late to get one unfortunately. Maybe V3  :))

No problem, who knows maybe you'll be lucky and find somebody willing to sell their Orion, but for now everybody hasn't had theirs for long so people are still pretty excited about it. I also missed the initial GB for the Orion but found someone willing to sell one of their extras, I had to pay a pretty penny for it but it sure as hell was worth it.