Author Topic: .  (Read 23323 times)

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
Re: Single Piece 60% Case (XT60 Aluminium & Frosted/Clear Acrylic)
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 17:37:30 »
Day 8:

Small update - imported successfully into FreeCAD and getting the file fixed into something prettier.

Acrylic quoters are painfully slow. Let's hope that they'll finish whatever they're doing so that I can get their quotes and get a prototype on my desk by the end of the year!

If anyone knows how to make the faces into 1 piece and not split how it is now, then please reply here or PM me. :thumb:

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #51 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 18:40:54 »
Nothing much to say apart from I'm still tracing the import - here is what I'm up to.

USB port, standoffs, and feet are what's left to do. Then digital prototyping is officially over.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #52 on: Sat, 19 December 2015, 10:45:36 »
I need someone to help me finish the model as I don't know how to make the standoffs effectively without making it look like a mesh model. If you can help, reply here or PM me :-*

For now though, I decided to get a 3D printed plate and case prototype made  -  3/4 day shipping period, so should be here before Christmas. If I'm happy with it, then I'll start an IC thread and go from there.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
Re: XT60 - Xondat's 60% Acrylic/Aluminium Cases
« Reply #53 on: Sat, 19 December 2015, 10:50:17 »
Count me in for an acrylic one. It is a very nice design. Where do you plan to move it to the IC phase?

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #54 on: Sat, 19 December 2015, 10:59:29 »
Count me in for an acrylic one. It is a very nice design. Where do you plan to move it to the IC phase?
Where or when? When would be before the new year as long as the 3D prints get here. Making 1 acrylic case is way too costly so I'm taking a most cost effective measure.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #55 on: Sat, 19 December 2015, 11:20:43 »
Where or when? When would be before the new year as long as the 3D prints get here. Making 1 acrylic case is way too costly so I'm taking a most cost effective measure.

That is what I meant thank you.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #56 on: Sat, 19 December 2015, 11:44:01 »
Looks good. You need to add fillets to internal edges to allow them to be machined. I would recommend you add fillets to some of the outer edges too, and chamfers along the top rim.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
« Reply #57 on: Sat, 19 December 2015, 11:55:04 »

You need to add fillets to internal edges to allow them to be machined.

I'm not entirely sure this is necessary, do you have a source?

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #58 on: Sat, 19 December 2015, 12:09:33 »
Keeping my eye on this, looks good so far, keep it up   ;D
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #59 on: Sat, 19 December 2015, 13:38:48 »
Looks good. You need to add fillets to internal edges to allow them to be machined. I would recommend you add fillets to some of the outer edges too, and chamfers along the top rim.
Can you expand on what you mean? I've self taught everything and I don't even know what's right and wrong so far.
Why would I need to do this?

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #60 on: Sat, 19 December 2015, 19:32:23 »
Looking good! Definitely interested in this when it hits IC phase.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #61 on: Sun, 20 December 2015, 13:45:15 »
It's necessary. If this is to be CNC milled from a solid block of material then the internal edges must have radii. This is a limitation of milling.

Can you expand on what you mean? I've self taught everything and I don't even know what's right and wrong so far.
I will do my best. I will try and give an explanation assuming no prior knowledge in order to make it as simple as possible.

First, I used the word 'fillet'. Here is the definition of that word : In mechanical engineering, a fillet /ˈfɪlɨt/ is a rounding of an interior or exterior corner of a part design.

That is, to give an edge a fillet is to give it a radius.

An internal edge with a fillet/An internal edge with a radius :

An internal edge without a fillet/An internal edge without a radius :

First, understand the basic concept of milling : You have a cutter that spins in order to move material. This cutter (in the case of a 3-axis mill, for example) can move along three axes : x,y,z. In other words : left and right, forward and backward, up and down. CNC mills are exactly the same, but the movements along the axes are precisely controlled with motors and a numerical input, rather than manually controlled.

These cutters come in many shapes and sizes. You have ones for cutting regular holes that look like drillbits, you have these for cutting chamfers.

However, regardless of the shape and size of the cutter, one thing remains constant : They spin in a circle. Therefore, they CANNOT form internal square edges! All internal edges MUST have a radius.

For example, the below would not be possible :

However, the below would be possible, since cutters can form those circular edges. Note that EXTERNAL square edges are absolutely possible, just not INTERNAL ones :

It may be helpful to imagine a cutter as a cylinder, which removes any material that any part of that cylinder touches. Realise that this cannot possibly form square internal edges.

I do hope this helps to explain things.

---

I recommend giving external edges fillets too for aesthetics, and so that people don't cut themselves on those sharp edges! I recommend giving the top rim chamfers (like this for the same reasons.
github

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #62 on: Sun, 20 December 2015, 15:10:45 »
This link provides some general rules about milling parts, there are also tolerance thresholds that are associated with the material of the part.

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
« Reply #63 on: Sun, 20 December 2015, 16:38:01 »
More
It's necessary. If this is to be CNC milled from a solid block of material then the internal edges must have radii. This is a limitation of milling.

I will do my best. I will try and give an explanation assuming no prior knowledge in order to make it as simple as possible.

First, I used the word 'fillet'. Here is the definition of that word : In mechanical engineering, a fillet /ˈfɪlɨt/ is a rounding of an interior or exterior corner of a part design.

Show Image

Show Image

First, understand the basic concept of milling : You have a cutter that spins in order to move material. This cutter (in the case of a 3-axis mill, for example) can move along three axes : x,y,z. In other words : left and right, forward and backward, up and down. CNC mills are exactly the same, but the movements along the axes are precisely controlled with motors and a numerical input, rather than manually controlled.

These cutters come in many shapes and sizes. You have ones for cutting regular holes that look like drillbits, you have these for cutting chamfers.

However, regardless of the shape and size of the cutter, one thing remains constant : They spin in a circle. Therefore, they CANNOT form internal square edges! All internal edges MUST have a radius.

Show Image

However, the below would be possible, since cutters can form those circular edges. Note that EXTERNAL square edges are absolutely possible, just not INTERNAL ones :

Show Image

It may be helpful to imagine a cutter as a cylinder, which removes any material that any part of that cylinder touches. Realise that this cannot possibly form square internal edges.

---

I recommend giving external edges fillets too for aesthetics, and so that people don't cut themselves on those sharp edges! I recommend giving the top rim chamfers (like this for the same reasons.

This is absolutely correct, and I already knew this. Nevertheless, I apreciate the detailed post and explanation!

The whole confusion was that me, as a non-native english speaker, thought that the "internal fillets" you mentioned were these stripes I highlited in green. 

I'm pretty sure these stripes (fins) aren't required for milled aluminum design.

Original image, for reference.

But again, thank you very much for the detailed post and detailed explanation, you provided fantastic images, sources and information that definitely add to our discussion!

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #64 on: Sun, 20 December 2015, 16:56:06 »
Oh yeah, those aren't necessary (although do give more support for the PCB). They definitely aren't fillets either :))
github

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
« Reply #65 on: Sun, 20 December 2015, 17:16:10 »
Oh yeah, those aren't necessary (although do give more support for the PCB). They definitely aren't fillets either :))

Absolutely, I apologize for my ignorance.

Mining engineer undergrad here, don't know much about materials/manufacturing engineering besides from what I learned with personal experience in constructing/building things.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #66 on: Sun, 20 December 2015, 18:33:29 »
More

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

---

Thanks for the in-depth overview - I'm learning the ins and outs (no pun intended) of this every day.

Day whatever:

No design change today. I now have my Norwegian friend modelling the case for me as he works in industrial design. So to me, a noob to CAD, this is fantastic news.

I also should have a few 3D printed quotes back soon, strictly for prototypes; doubt they'll be here before Christmas day as it's so late now.

As mentioned previously, I will be running an Interest Check providing that I have a prototype here by the end of the year. I'll be producing clear acrylic, frosted acrylic and many different colored (at request) anodized aluminium cases. Not sure about cost too much but I am trying to run the prices under $100 for acrylic and $250 for aluminium. Again with amounts, from what I can tell there will have to be a lot of aluminium ones for a lower price, not sure about acrylic right this moment. I also have the option to have plastic injection molded cases; let me know if anyone is interested at this stage.

TL;DR: getting quotes for 3D printed prototypes, will have an IC for clear acrylic, frosted acrylic & anodized aluminium.

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #67 on: Sun, 20 December 2015, 18:54:09 »
I'm most likely interested in a frosted acrylic or if you can get colored acrylic I'd be interested in green.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #68 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 13:59:14 »
Final update post here before I post an interest check as everything is done in the design department and I don't want to be double posting in the future.

3D print samples are on the way, 3D printing the prototype will cost me $130 which is steep but it's also a usable case. As long as the measurements work out correctly then, with enough interest, the group buy should start.

Options I'll be offering are:
  • Clear Acrylic
  • Frosted Acrylic
  • Anodized Aluminium
    • 4 community chosen colors

If there is interest behind colored acrylic, then I can research this. I want to keep the different variations to a minimum though.

Interest check will start by the end of the week.

For now, here is a 3D model preview of the case:

« Last Edit: Tue, 22 December 2015, 19:04:17 by xondat »

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #69 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 14:10:48 »
Final update post here before I post an interest check as everything is done in the design department and I don't want to be double posting in the future.

3D print samples are on the way, 3D printing the prototype will cost me $130 which is steep but it's also a usable case. As long as the measurements work out correctly then, with enough interest, the group buy should start.

Options I'll be offering are:
  • Clear Acrylic
  • Frosted Acrylic
  • Anodized Aluminium
    • 4 community chosen colors

If there is interest behind colored acrylic, then I can research this. I want to keep the different variations to a minimum though.

Interest check will start by the end of the week.

For now, here is a 3D model preview of the case:

Show Image

Very nice!

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #70 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 15:36:42 »
A frosted acrylic would be great.

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #71 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 18:24:45 »
Model looks good. I'm going to have to pick up another 60% board so I can use it!  :D

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #72 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 18:59:48 »
Regarding KBP V60 boards with Matias switches, I heard from a KBP rep that they will be releasing a revised board that will have 3 holes in the PCB and plate suitable for mounting in standard 60% cases. The ETA was late December 2015. We shall see....

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
« Reply #73 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 19:05:14 »
Regarding KBP V60 boards with Matias switches, I heard from a KBP rep that they will be releasing a revised board that will have 3 holes in the PCB and plate suitable for mounting in standard 60% cases. The ETA was late December 2015. We shall see....

Really?!

That's super cool, I'm really looking forward this information.

Is there any specific place I could look?

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #74 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 19:43:34 »

Really?!

That's super cool, I'm really looking forward this information.

Is there any specific place I could look?

Ooh. That's great news! Might be a great time to get an alps board and a sweet case at roughly the same time =]

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #75 on: Wed, 23 December 2015, 18:15:33 »
No more updates here? Think again.

3D print samples didn't arrive, so it looks like next week now. I'm either getting it 3D printed or CNC'd out of wood, as a GH user has offered. I get my Pok3r basically tomorrow so at that point I won't need a prototype made, as I will first hand know the measurements for a perfect case. This means that I can have the CAD file finished before the end of the week and start the IC as planned. I'll be ringing for acrylic quotes as soon as the companies that I have been recommended get back to their offices. This is the 4th at the earliest. Bummer.

I don't want to rush this though, but a longer interest check period will benefit both parties in this case and will get that done soon. I have already wrote it, it just needs publishing at this point. Let me know whether I should go ahead with the 3D print or have the prototype in wood.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #76 on: Thu, 24 December 2015, 15:26:04 »
Interest Check can be found here: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78103.0