Author Topic: The Written Word  (Read 9956 times)

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
The Written Word
« on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 17:57:40 »
Technology is great, isn't it?  Well, that is, until it reduces our communication to a distant and impersonal level.  E-mail is convenient as hell but half the time I can't even decipher what the other person is saying.  They're littered with acronyms, memes, and LOL's.  PM on a forum is something I use on a daily basis but it just doesn't feel right.  Whatever happened to looking forward to getting your mail?  I'm talking about physical mail that you hold in your hands.  For many of us, it's just bills (if you haven't switched to e-billing), junk mail, and advertisements now.  It's not exactly riveting stuff, right?

Well, on the heels of Bunny's, 'Pay It Forward', campaign I'm going to fight progress and wind back the clock.  Starting this week, I will be sending out letters to random GH members.  There won't be any CTRL ALT swag or anything cool like that.  What you will get, though, is a nice, handwritten, and personal message from me.  It might talk about something we've discussed over PM.  It might be giving you encouragement if you're down and feeling like life's kicked you in the gut.  It might be humorous, silly, or just downright stupid.  The point is, let's talk. 

You're not obligated to read the letter (though, I hope you do) and I'm not requesting that everyone starts using letters again.  No, I'm just hoping that some heartfelt words can turn someone's day around.  Or put a smile on their face.  Or get them through a tough time.  You'd be surprised how powerful it can be knowing that someone out there has you on their mind and is hoping the best for you and your loved ones.

So, if you see one of these...

Please do open it up and take a read before throwing it in the trash.  It's not spam mail, I promise!

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
Re: The Written Word
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 18:00:11 »
a nice gift of anthrax eh?

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 18:00:27 »
TLDR Please ?

Joke I like the idea a lot.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 18:01:31 »
Very cool, Sent. There is nothing like getting a good, old fashioned, hadwritten letter.  You might end up with a dozen or more pen pals, so you best be prepared!
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 18:03:23 »
a nice gift of anthrax eh?

Stop leaking my plans, seth.  Damn it.

TLDR Please ?

Joke I like the idea a lot.

:-*

Very cool, Sent. There is nothing like getting a good, old fashioned, hadwritten letter.  You might end up with a dozen or more pen pals, so you best be prepared!

Bring it on!

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 18:06:24 »
This is awesome and makes me happy just reading it.  :)  :-*

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 18:08:25 »
I look forward to the mail because the postman brings the cool stuff I bought, but not sure I've ever received a proper handwritten letter.  Definitely not in the past 15 years...

Great idea :)
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline billnye

• ability man
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 18:13:06 »
Neat idea, Sent. Maddie and I have been sending each other letters since she has been away and it has fun looking forward to opening the mailbox every day.

Offline R1N3

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 18:14:30 »
hell yes!

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 18:24:30 »
You are going to live up to your name, eh?  ;)

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 18:34:51 »
Neat idea, Sent. Maddie and I have been sending each other letters since she has been away and it has fun looking forward to opening the mailbox every day.

this is adorable  ;D

<- My Collection (so far)

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 18:38:25 »
. oops

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 18:39:29 »

Nice!

From time to time I send typewriter letters from my Selectric, but I agree, nothing beats a hand-written letter.

this is adorable  ;D

totes adorbs.

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 18:54:28 »
Great idea sent, this gives a lot of people with fountain pen's a better purpose for having fountain pens.
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline clacktalk

• CLACKS RULE EVERYTHING AROUND ME
  • circa 2015
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 18:56:42 »
really diggin' the return to a physical medium and the symbol you're associating with this

i'm gonna guess you're using it as the shaka sign, but 6, the letter y, devil horns, or whatever else it could be is cool too
diary of a clacktalk

franktalk: how much urine have u spilled
radio_killah: too much frank
radio_killah: too much

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 19:04:32 »

Why do you two have to be so cute? :p

You are going to live up to your name, eh?  ;)

Damn straight.

really diggin' the return to a physical medium and the symbol you're associating with this

i'm gonna guess you're using it as the shaka sign, but 6, the letter y, devil horns, or whatever else it could be is cool too

I grew up surfing off Malibu and Santa Monica so yup...hang loose, brah.  ;D

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
    • My Youtube channel with some keyboard videos
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 19:58:45 »

More
Lol!!! J.K.!!!

I still send out hand written letters to this day!

This is a great idea, Sent :3

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 20:13:09 »
I wonder if Sent's handwriting is god tier Spencerian or if he got an IBM selectric working ;). Regardless, I'm firing up my shredder just like Vesper.

I KID. SEND ME A LETTER BRUH. I've got all these papers and fountain pens that need to be used :P

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 20:32:10 »
Show Image

More
Lol!!! J.K.!!!

I still send out hand written letters to this day!

This is a great idea, Sent :3

I wonder if Sent's handwriting is god tier Spencerian or if he got an IBM selectric working ;). Regardless, I'm firing up my shredder just like Vesper.

I KID. SEND ME A LETTER BRUH. I've got all these papers and fountain pens that need to be used :P

Just so no one gets their hopes up, my handwriting (when I'm actually paying attention) is engineer handwriting.  Blocky, uniform, and simple.  No fancy scripts or anything. :))  Blame my undergrad classes when I was drawing up plans and designs.

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 21:10:20 »
I was just having a conversation the other day with someone how its almost shocking(in a good way) when you recieve a hand written letter this day and age. I don't have a nice fountain pen or elegant hand writing but I feel there's something almost visceral inscribing your thoughts on a nice peice of vellum  :thumb:

So naturally I'm super stoked about this idea/project and can't wait to see what's next
Looking for Black KMAC 2 or KMAC LE Preferably unbuilt kit but will consider an assembled board with clears Please PM me if you can help 8) Always on the lookout for KBK/KWK Bro Reapers,V2s and Clack factory skulls have lots of caps for trade

Offline Coreda

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 21:29:05 »
Edit, missed Bunny's thread :) Nice idea.

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 21:36:03 »
I was just having a conversation the other day with someone how its almost shocking(in a good way) when you recieve a hand written letter this day and age. I don't have a nice fountain pen or elegant hand writing but I feel there's something almost visceral inscribing your thoughts on a nice peice of vellum  :thumb:

So naturally I'm super stoked about this idea/project and can't wait to see what's next

I feel the same way.  Actually putting pen to paper and getting your thoughts down can be strangely therapeutic. 

Edit, missed Bunny's thread :) Nice idea.

:thumb:

Online Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 21:41:02 »
Would it be wrong for me to post my mailing address here publicly?

I would love to get something other than bills or junk mail.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 21:47:52 »

Just as a general precaution I'll always advise against posting your mailing address online publicly.  Shoot me a PM.  I'll order some more envelopes/cards and add some more people in this first round.  ;)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 22:20:11 »
This is a nice idea, and very community-oriented.

Are you inviting replies, by the way?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Online Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 22:20:50 »

Just as a general precaution I'll always advise against posting your mailing address online publicly.  Shoot me a PM.  I'll order some more envelopes/cards and add some more people in this first round.  ;)

I will shoot you a pm, but it doesn't bother me to have it online.  It isn't like it isn't public info anyway.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 22:49:58 »
This is a nice idea, and very community-oriented.

Are you inviting replies, by the way?

If someone feels inclined to write me back, that's great.  If not, that's fine, too. :)

Just finished with the first note.

I'm waiting on some CTRL ALT return labels to come in before sending these out.  Hopefully, those will be here sometime mid-week.
« Last Edit: Tue, 06 October 2015, 00:29:10 by Sent »

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 13 October 2015, 04:11:13 »
Just a little update.  I've written about 20 of these.  Unfortunately, it's been so long since I've sent a letter I forgot that there were these things called stamps.  I have none. :blank:  I gotta go grab some when I get a chance.  More importantly, my grandfather is in the hospital in Taiwan and I might need to fly back at a moment's notice.  The doctors aren't giving him much time so I'm checking tickets now.

I know I have to ship out quite a few things to a few people (pay it forward, space bars, stickers, random crap discussed through PM, etc.) so this is sort of a general announcement that it may take longer than I said.  I apologize.  This goes for the blog, too.  Not that I've been very regular with it but a few people are waiting on me to send them the google doc to fill out for the interview.  I'll get to that as soon as possible.

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 13 October 2015, 19:36:00 »
Just a little update.  I've written about 20 of these.  Unfortunately, it's been so long since I've sent a letter I forgot that there were these things called stamps.  I have none. :blank:  I gotta go grab some when I get a chance.  More importantly, my grandfather is in the hospital in Taiwan and I might need to fly back at a moment's notice.  The doctors aren't giving him much time so I'm checking tickets now.

I know I have to ship out quite a few things to a few people (pay it forward, space bars, stickers, random crap discussed through PM, etc.) so this is sort of a general announcement that it may take longer than I said.  I apologize.  This goes for the blog, too.  Not that I've been very regular with it but a few people are waiting on me to send them the google doc to fill out for the interview.  I'll get to that as soon as possible.
I got extra stamps, if need be I can send them to you, or you can send the letters to me and I can literally throw stamps on them and put them in the mail.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 15:34:56 »
 :eek:

I think this is truly the first out of the blue thing I've ever gotten from anyone here. Thanks Sent :thumb:

Due to the suckery of my handwriting (I know that is the point of this thread), I will employ one of my typewriters to help me with my response(s), as I will try to help keep the train going.

I will, however, sign my name with the new fountain pen Binge/Booper have helped me out with, so that will kinda count towards the purpose of this thread, right?

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 16:21:50 »

Show Image

I think this is truly the first out of the blue thing I've ever gotten from anyone here. Thanks Sent :thumb:

Due to the suckery of my handwriting (I know that is the point of this thread), I will employ one of my typewriters to help me with my response(s), as I will try to help keep the train going.

I will, however, sign my name with the new fountain pen Binge/Booper have helped me out with, so that will kinda count towards the purpose of this thread, right?

Oohhh, typewriter would be badass, yo. :thumb:  You're under no obligation to respond, by the way.  This is just for fun. :)

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 18:08:29 »

Show Image

Oohhh, typewriter would be badass, yo. :thumb:  You're under no obligation to respond, by the way.  This is just for fun. :)
Pen pals and letter are more fun when mail goes both ways :) plus, love putting the typewriter to use!

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 22:45:32 »

And we all know how terribly un-fun it is to be forced to write a letter to Sent.  Right?  Right?!  :rolleyes:

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 23:17:06 »

And we all know how terribly un-fun it is to be forced to write a letter to Sent.  Right?  Right?!  :rolleyes:

You were actually mentioned in the letter......  :eek: :eek:

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #34 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 23:27:49 »

You were actually mentioned in the letter......  :eek: :eek:

uh oh  :eek:

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #35 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 23:56:38 »

It's pure torture from what I've been told. :))

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #36 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 08:45:29 »
Got mine a couple days ago. It was such a nice surprise to get this. Thanks Sent, this totally made my day. :)

Now I have to improve my hand writing so I can write back. :)

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #37 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 15:27:09 »
With a little eye candy...  :)

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #38 on: Sun, 08 November 2015, 17:57:12 »
Got mine a couple days ago. It was such a nice surprise to get this. Thanks Sent, this totally made my day. :)

We need to jump into League again.  Been so swamped during the day. @__@

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #39 on: Sun, 08 November 2015, 23:59:08 »

We need to jump into League again.  Been so swamped during the day. @__@

Ya for sure.  Things have been pretty crazy around here too.  Too many projects on the go.  Haha...  :)

Offline 1swt2gs

• DOGE
« Reply #40 on: Mon, 09 November 2015, 00:03:22 »
Seeing posts like this makes me so glad I finally am a part of Geekhack!

Such artisan, many caps, very keyboard.

Always searching for Bro caps! 

1swt2gs classifieds!

Offline unipsykal

• ghostly lurker
« Reply #41 on: Mon, 09 November 2015, 03:14:27 »
Sent, you are one cool dude! Makes me wish I still lived in SoCal.

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #42 on: Mon, 09 November 2015, 05:43:27 »
Seeing posts like this makes me so glad I finally am a part of Geekhack!

;)

Sent, you are one cool dude! Makes me wish I still lived in SoCal.

Thanks, sir.  SoCal is indeed the place to be.

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #43 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 04:46:19 »
I've been having a rough week at work, really tough month
Lack of sleep in the last week or so, 5 hours a night mostly
Brain can't function well

But this....

This has made my day, really cheered me up
Keep me on my feet

Thank you so much for sending me this , really means a lot :'(

The power of the written word ladies and gentlemen

Note: The Kinfolk magazine is just some random background, not in the mail
« Last Edit: Wed, 11 November 2015, 05:43:55 by jokrik »
Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #44 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 10:53:28 »
Damn I saw this on flickr and thought that Sent mailed you a kinfolk magazine and a letter! Still awesome :D

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #45 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 16:46:41 »
I've been having a rough week at work, really tough month
Lack of sleep in the last week or so, 5 hours a night mostly
Brain can't function well

But this....

Show Image

This has made my day, really cheered me up