Author Topic: [IC] DSA Borealis - The Northern Lights Themed Keyset NOW AVAILABLE  (Read 60412 times)

Offline Jmeferlater

I've got some cool news coming in, just waiting to see when/if I can announce it. This design is far from dead, but it might fall down on the IC list. For those interested in the design, I recommend keeping your eyes open for a bump from me

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
What a great 100th reply :D can't wait.

Offline oxygenplug

Re: [IC] DSA Borealis - The Northern Lights Themed Keyset (UPDATED W/ CHILD KITS)
« Reply #102 on: Tue, 13 September 2016, 08:02:36 »
Any uodate? :( or is the dream dead

Offline jal

• I can't believe it's not gravy!
Re: [IC] DSA Borealis - The Northern Lights Themed Keyset (UPDATED W/ CHILD KITS)
« Reply #103 on: Tue, 13 September 2016, 09:11:25 »

I read that way too fast, and my brain somehow heard "Or is this dream food". Which I kinda like.

But same question here.

Offline Jmeferlater

« Reply #104 on: Tue, 13 September 2016, 11:43:27 »

I read that way too fast, and my brain somehow heard "Or is this dream food". Which I kinda like.

But same question here.

Dream is neither dead nor food (at least I wouldn't recommend eating it)
But no updates yet, hang tight friends

Offline mes09

« Reply #105 on: Thu, 15 September 2016, 13:14:24 »
Love the novelties, but I'd like than better if the stars were bigger personally.  This might actually get me to break down and buy another dsa set which I swore I wouldn't do.

Offline Jmeferlater

« Reply #106 on: Thu, 15 September 2016, 16:56:05 »
Love the novelties, but I'd like than better if the stars were bigger personally.  This might actually get me to break down and buy another dsa set which I swore I wouldn't do.

The picture of the novelties in the OP isn't great due to its size, I think they look a lot better in the inkscape files and should look better in real life as well

Offline Jmeferlater

« Reply #107 on: Mon, 03 October 2016, 15:22:18 »
Hey guys, it's been a while since my last update to this thread, but I finally have some awesome news to share..

DSA Borealis will be available for purchase on Pimpmykeyboard in November, as part of their Keyset of the Month!
This basically means that you'll be able to get your keyset in the same month that you buy it, something that is becoming more and more rare these days.
The current plan is to have pre-orders on pmk early November and then have the sets be ready to ship by the end of November.

I don't know about prices, but I can't imagine them being more expensive than most other DSA sets, especially since there is no third-party vendor adding on costs, as PMK is just the storefront for SP.

Offline Hypocaffeinic

« Reply #108 on: Mon, 03 October 2016, 16:47:15 »
Hey guys, it's been a while since my last update to this thread, but I finally have some awesome news to share..

DSA Borealis will be available for purchase on Pimpmykeyboard in November, as part of their Keyset of the Month!
This basically means that you'll be able to get your keyset in the same month that you buy it, something that is becoming more and more rare these days.
The current plan is to have pre-orders on pmk early November and then have the sets be ready to ship by the end of November.

I don't know about prices, but I can't imagine them being more expensive than most other DSA sets, especially since there is no third-party vendor adding on costs, as PMK is just the storefront for SP.

This is phenomenal news, congratulations!!! Especially good that it's KotM with the fast fulfilment that entails. Well done!  :thumb:

Offline Vigrith

Re: [IC] DSA Borealis - The Northern Lights Themed Keyset (COMING IN NOVEMBER)
« Reply #109 on: Mon, 03 October 2016, 16:52:33 »
Oh damn, that's awesome, I'm already having to wait forever for a bunch of stuff so getting it in a month's time is refreshing. Plenty of time to replenish my wallet too then, just taken a big hit during September/October so having an extra month is relevant.

Can't wait to see what this looks like irl, congratulations on the project's success.

Offline Jmeferlater

« Reply #110 on: Mon, 03 October 2016, 17:14:11 »

This is phenomenal news, congratulations!!! Especially good that it's KotM with the fast fulfilment that entails. Well done!  :thumb:

Oh damn, that's awesome, I'm already having to wait forever for a bunch of stuff so getting it in a month's time is refreshing. Plenty of time to replenish my wallet too then, just taken a big hit during September/October so having an extra month is relevant.

Can't wait to see what this looks like irl, congratulations on the project's success.

Thanks guys, I'm really excited this is finally happening.
I don't think the timing nor the store could be any more perfect.
Quick fulfillment, cheaper price, and a buffer month from the craziness of September, I'm glad it worked out this way

Offline MikeTheTiger

« Reply #111 on: Mon, 03 October 2016, 19:11:42 »

Oh man!!

Offline kenshinjeff

« Reply #112 on: Tue, 04 October 2016, 01:15:14 »
Would there be 1800 kits or blanks for a 1800 layout?

Offline tanker666

• Izaayaaa!
« Reply #113 on: Tue, 04 October 2016, 01:20:38 »
Great news :D

PurePro

Offline iFreilicht

« Reply #114 on: Tue, 04 October 2016, 10:11:36 »
Do you have a permalink to one of those sets on KLE? I'd like to play around with them and see which ones I'd need to fill my Atomic.

EDIT: Nevermind, found this.
Other question: Why does the planck set contain the left, down and right arrow? Those are already in the base set, so you could either remove them to make that set cheaper or replace them with more specific labels like "Meta" or a few blanks. I also think that the Planck set should have more blank keys like the ErgoDox one does.
« Last Edit: Tue, 04 October 2016, 10:48:53 by iFreilicht »
Sentraq S60-X, dyed blank PBT keycaps, Gateron Browns

Offline Jmeferlater

« Reply #115 on: Tue, 04 October 2016, 11:23:21 »
I'm getting a lot of feedback on the child kits and changes I should make.
I had this IC open for a long while and nobody seemed to have any problems with the kits until now.
However, I did email SP to see if it's not too late to change some kits around, I'll try to incorporate as many changes as make sense

Offline Data

« Reply #116 on: Tue, 04 October 2016, 11:40:15 »
I had this IC open for a long while and nobody seemed to have any problems with the kits until now.
However, I did email SP to see if it's not too late to change some kits around, I'll try to incorporate as many changes as make sense

Pretty sure this happens in every GB.  You'll get "suggestions" even after your actual GB opens and you're taking orders -- long after any such feedback is useful.   :P

You should be OK to request changes right up until your GB start.  SP is pretty flexible, just remember it can be sometimes 48 hours or more to get a response from them.  Longer if you're going through a 3rd party vendor like Massdrop.

Offline Jmeferlater

« Reply #117 on: Tue, 04 October 2016, 12:01:09 »
I updated the post with the finalized Alternate Layout kit. Should cover things like 40%'s and nonstandard keyboards, including the Tada68.
Any changes I want to make should be sent to SP by today, so let me know if anything absolutely necessary is missing, but I am pretty happy with how it is right now.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #118 on: Tue, 04 October 2016, 13:08:12 »
Looks all good to me, I appreciate the inclusion of the 3 non-standard keys in the base set too as I did when the IC was just starting, saves a lot of people buying a full child kit for one key!

Also, I missed the fact the legends will be GID until yesterday once I read the reddit thread - VERY excited.

Offline toadkiller

« Reply #119 on: Tue, 04 October 2016, 15:39:43 »
So my wife saw these keys and wanted them. I explained to her they were just keys and she would need a keyboard to go with them so now she wants a keyboard. I havent even got my first mechanical keyboard but now thanks to these keys my wife wants one first. So my question as a noob is what keyboard to buy to match with these keys? The Leopold FC660C? Will the Leopold FC750R work also? Then I just wait a month for this to show up on pimp my keyboard site and it will be self explanatory what to buy?

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #120 on: Tue, 04 October 2016, 16:02:32 »
So my wife saw these keys and wanted them. I explained to her they were just keys and she would need a keyboard to go with them so now she wants a keyboard. I havent even got my first mechanical keyboard but now thanks to these keys my wife wants one first. So my question as a noob is what keyboard to buy to match with these keys? The Leopold FC660C? Will the Leopold FC750R work also? Then I just wait a month for this to show up on pimp my keyboard site and it will be self explanatory what to buy?

If you want the cheapest option you should look at standardized boards, the MagicForce 68 whilst not the best one out there is definitely great value for the money (in my opinion), doesn't have a Function row however. It just depends on what sort of a layout she needs, if you're looking into Leopold boards then she probably likes TKLs, I think (you should confirm this) the 750R is fully standardized so that should work, if not then the Coolermaster Rapid-I is and is widely available. I'd prefer the 750R, Leopold's build quality is great, no backlighting though if that's at all relevant.

Do not buy the FC660C though, nor anything that says "Topre" or "capacitative" (what the C at the end stands for) - those are different switches with different stems, this key set (and 99% of others) will not fit them.

PS: If you get a standardized TKL board then it should be super easy, buy the base kit and you're g2g.

Offline captsis

• Formerly matt2dlg
« Reply #121 on: Tue, 04 October 2016, 16:11:44 »
I updated the post with the finalized Alternate Layout kit. Should cover things like 40%'s and nonstandard keyboards, including the Tada68.
Any changes I want to make should be sent to SP by today, so let me know if anything absolutely necessary is missing, but I am pretty happy with how it is right now.

What about a 7u spacebar? 1u pipe/backslash? and stepped CTRL. show some love to the HHKB layout.

Offline iFreilicht

« Reply #122 on: Wed, 05 October 2016, 19:23:08 »

Sorry, I know how annoying that kind of stuff can get. I did only find out about it now, and I think as it comes closer to the buying stage, many other people will see it for the first time as well.
There's not much you can do against that, unfortunately.

I would still like to know why the Planck set has four arrows. The uparrow would be sufficient to modify the base set for planck use. Oh well, guess it's too late now.

Offline mes09

« Reply #123 on: Wed, 05 October 2016, 20:57:26 »
Yeah that unfortunately happens with many group buys, especially as the buying time approaches.  You can't support every layout, and I think you've done a great job supporting as many as you have.

Really love how the whole thing came out, and I can't wait to get my hands on it.

Offline iFreilicht

« Reply #124 on: Thu, 06 October 2016, 03:25:29 »
This is what I'll be going for. OLKB Atomic, "Borealis Sunset".
I'll need the Base, Planck, Numpad and Novelties kits to make it work, but hopefully it will look awesome then :)

Offline MrBreakfst

« Reply #125 on: Mon, 10 October 2016, 15:27:47 »
Hmmm
This looks...amazing :eek:
I would instaBuy this if there was a Dvorak/Colemak option
sigh... :(

Offline iFreilicht

« Reply #126 on: Mon, 10 October 2016, 16:25:46 »
Hmmm
This looks...amazing :eek:
I would instaBuy this if there was a Dvorak/Colemak option
sigh... :(

Suddenly all the advantages of DSA are down the drain. Maybe a future re-run of this set could feature alternative layouts, but right now it makes sense to limit the amount of sets to hit the shipping date in November.

Offline Overchecken8

« Reply #127 on: Tue, 11 October 2016, 15:30:17 »
Happy to see this on PMK. Hoping this becomes a trend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Jmeferlater

« Reply #128 on: Fri, 14 October 2016, 16:13:53 »
Something I forgot to mention/make clear: The set will come with scooped homing keys, I updated the base kit in the OP to reflect that.

Also, about the lack of some kits, PMK does have plans to keep adding stock of the set to their store past the month of November, so it could be possible that different kits could be added later on.
As for the initial sell, the kits I've made are what will be available, but I may ask in the future to add more.

Offline iFreilicht

« Reply #129 on: Sat, 15 October 2016, 20:41:05 »
I updated the base kit in the OP to reflect that.

Did you? It looks exactly the same to me.

Offline Jmeferlater

« Reply #130 on: Sat, 15 October 2016, 20:50:17 »
I updated the base kit in the OP to reflect that.

Did you? It looks exactly the same to me.

Yes. Added the two keys in the base kit. There weren't the extra F and J keys there before

Offline iFreilicht

« Reply #131 on: Sun, 16 October 2016, 14:48:43 »
Oh I see, I thought you changed them to look like deep dishes, didn't even notice the two additional ones. Sorry!

Offline iFreilicht

« Reply #132 on: Fri, 28 October 2016, 03:46:15 »
Is there any specific date we can expect the offer to start on PMK? I really don't want to miss out on this like I did on the last grabbag sale.

Offline Jmeferlater

« Reply #133 on: Fri, 28 October 2016, 08:12:53 »
Is there any specific date we can expect the offer to start on PMK? I really don't want to miss out on this like I did on the last grabbag sale.
I don't know any specific dates yet, and I'm not sure if I will before the set goes up. I don't expect it to sell out very quickly though, much slower than the grab bags do.

If you do miss out initially though, it will be restocked in the future so you should be able to get a set without the aftermarket

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

« Reply #134 on: Thu, 03 November 2016, 14:22:23 »

Offline jgodinez302

« Reply #135 on: Thu, 03 November 2016, 15:20:11 »
This is available on PMK now: http://pimpmykeyboard.com/dsa-borealis-keyset/

Nice! Thanks for the heads up! In for Base + Novelties. This will be going on my wife's first custom.

Offline Jmeferlater

« Reply #136 on: Thu, 03 November 2016, 16:01:25 »
This is available on PMK now: http://pimpmykeyboard.com/dsa-borealis-keyset/

Beat me to it, but yes Borealis is finally available!

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
Re: [IC] DSA Borealis - The Northern Lights Themed Keyset NOW AVAILABLE
« Reply #137 on: Thu, 03 November 2016, 16:56:45 »
Glad to see it go live!  I am torn on this set for a few reasons.

• I currently only have 60% keyboards and I really dig that function row color more than the bottom row light blue
  • I don't understand the glow in the dark text (when would you ever see it glowing?  Maybe if you turned off your computer and sit in a completely dark room?  I would think clear POM would have been a better choice.  Do you know if leds would shine through the legend material?
  • I'm not sure about the font.  I would have assumed that was placeholder font, but now I see it on PMK with the same legends.  Are the doing a custom font here or did they just not notice it was not Gorton Modified?

Offline iFreilicht

« Reply #138 on: Thu, 03 November 2016, 18:09:58 »
Ah damnit. I really want to pre-order this, but it would require so many sets that I'd pay 175€ incl. tax to fill my board, and then I'd still have a few mislabled keys. Maybe I'll just go for blanks instead. Can't wait to see all the pictures and then regret not getting it  :))

Offline forevermadrigal

« Reply #139 on: Thu, 03 November 2016, 18:13:09 »
Gonna pick this up for my future 96 key board (whenever that will be). How long will the preorder be up?

Offline Jmeferlater

« Reply #140 on: Thu, 03 November 2016, 18:33:46 »
Glad to see it go live!  I am torn on this set for a few reasons.

• I currently only have 60% keyboards and I really dig that function row color more than the bottom row light blue
  • I don't understand the glow in the dark text (when would you ever see it glowing?  Maybe if you turned off your computer and sit in a completely dark room?  I would think clear POM would have been a better choice.  Do you know if leds would shine through the legend material?
  • I'm not sure about the font.  I would have assumed that was placeholder font, but now I see it on PMK with the same legends.  Are the doing a custom font here or did they just not notice it was not Gorton Modified?

The glow in the dark text is more of a novelty than anything. Think of it as just a cool bonus on top of the gradient colorway.

As for the font, it is just the default font used in Keyboard Layout Editor. I made sure with SP that the font used will be the normal centered Gorton Modified font used in their other DSA/SA sets. I think the KLE font is fairly close to what the actual Gorton Modified looks like.

Offline Jmeferlater

« Reply #141 on: Thu, 03 November 2016, 18:35:32 »
Ah damnit. I really want to pre-order this, but it would require so many sets that I'd pay 175€ incl. tax to fill my board, and then I'd still have a few mislabled keys. Maybe I'll just go for blanks instead. Can't wait to see all the pictures and then regret not getting it  :))

Yeah, sorry about that. Child kits are definitely something I need to improve on in the future, its real tough trying to satisfy everyone and I think a did neglect a few things I shouldn't have during the process of making this

Offline Jmeferlater

« Reply #142 on: Thu, 03 November 2016, 18:36:37 »
Gonna pick this up for my future 96 key board (whenever that will be). How long will the preorder be up?

I believe the preorder is up for as long as their are sets available, as it is limited. Not sure how long it'll take to sell out

Offline iFreilicht

« Reply #143 on: Thu, 03 November 2016, 18:38:33 »

Less than a month. This set is supposed to to ship this month and they still have to produce it, so my guess would be three weeks maximum.

Yeah, sorry about that. Child kits are definitely something I need to improve on in the future, its real tough trying to satisfy everyone and I think a did neglect a few things I shouldn't have during the process of making this

No problem mate. You said it would be re-run at some point, maybe that would be a good opportunity for more diverse sets. I'm still interested, just so you know :)

Offline Cotay

« Reply #144 on: Thu, 03 November 2016, 22:45:33 »
Oh how I wish this had a 2x Shift. But I'm still in!

Offline mll8394

• I regret joining this hobby :/
« Reply #145 on: Thu, 03 November 2016, 23:37:18 »
Any Ergodox mock-up/renders for this? just saw this on PMK and I like it :D
"Converting Oxygen into CO2 24/7"

Offline TheGameGuru

« Reply #146 on: Fri, 04 November 2016, 06:28:15 »
The price was a little higher than I hoped, but I pulled the trigger. Can't wait to get these on my board!  ;D

Offline Hypocaffeinic

« Reply #147 on: Sun, 06 November 2016, 23:53:48 »
I'm in!! Base, Novelties, Adapter, and Numpad. I don't even own a numpad, and have only the vaguest plans to get one 'one day' to match the B.mini that is coming 'some day' in the next 2-3 months, but dammit I'm Borealis ready. :thumb:

Offline Omnipotent

« Reply #148 on: Mon, 07 November 2016, 19:38:29 »
I have been eyeing this keycap set for a while and finally decided to jump on it. Good job Jmeferlater. Looking great and I can't wait for it! :D
AKA: /u/io2red on /r/mk
, Ducky YotM, Anne Pro, & Plum84 RGB (35g) | Waiting on: KBD75, & Keycaps.
Wanted:
More
Unknown :).

Offline Jmeferlater

« Reply #149 on: Mon, 07 November 2016, 21:12:30 »
The price was a little higher than I hoped, but I pulled the trigger. Can't wait to get these on my board!  ;D

I'm in!! Base, Novelties, Adapter, and Numpad. I don't even own a numpad, and have only the vaguest plans to get one 'one day' to match the B.mini that is coming 'some day' in the next 2-3 months, but dammit I'm Borealis ready. :thumb:

I have been eyeing this keycap set for a while and finally decided to jump on it. Good job Jmeferlater. Looking great and I can't wait for it! :D

Thanks for the support guys, can't wait to see pics of this set on peoples' boards  ;D .

I just got my new board that Borealis will go on today, it's gonna look awesome