Author Topic: Is it strange to like ABS more than PBT?  (Read 4977 times)

Offline dman777

Is it strange to like ABS more than PBT?
« on: Mon, 25 February 2019, 08:03:55 »
I have a Ducky Shine 3 blue switches(home) and a Ducky One RGB brown switches(at work). The Shine 3 has the ABS key caps while the Ducky One has PBT.

After using both for awhile, I think I might like the feel of ABS better because of the smoothness. Also I like the lighter feel(I think). Is that strange? Maybe because the ABS  is on blue switches and those are my favorites? It would be so expensive to buy another keyboard just to see.

Offline Tactile

Re: Is it strange to like ABS more than PBT?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 25 February 2019, 08:44:06 »
Just for info, Ice Cap from Signature Plastics is a very smooth PBT set.
REΛLFORCE

Offline duckboi

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 25 February 2019, 09:06:25 »
Not strange at all.
Good ABS is good.
Good PBT is good.

From there on, its just preference
The m0ar empty you feel,  the m0ar space for Keycaps..

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 25 February 2019, 10:41:32 »
--

Never mind. I did not realise the ABS keycaps in question were painted.
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 February 2019, 19:59:41 by Findecanor »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 25 February 2019, 19:49:08 »
Just wait until the thin black coating has worn off the ABS keycaps and the backlight is shining in your face.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 27 February 2019, 00:16:46 »
Not strange at all.
Good ABS is good.
Good PBT is good.

From there on, its just preference

qft
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Hyperdimension

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 27 February 2019, 10:41:30 »
Just wait until the thin black coating has worn off the ABS keycaps and the backlight is shining in your face.

This isn't a thing with Ducky ABS keycaps. I had one for 2 years and it's a little shiny but definitely no black coating coming off.

Offline mta

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 01 March 2019, 19:15:03 »
I think ABS looks pretty slick but the shine does bother people... until someone finds an easy way to reduce it back to matte without sanding away material :P

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 05 March 2019, 19:49:01 »
Clear caps with rgb lighting = nightlight for room

Offline Peripheral Prophet

• Lets change the game
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 11 March 2019, 15:25:15 »
I have a Ducky Shine 3 blue switches(home) and a Ducky One RGB brown switches(at work). The Shine 3 has the ABS key caps while the Ducky One has PBT.

After using both for awhile, I think I might like the feel of ABS better because of the smoothness. Also I like the lighter feel(I think). Is that strange? Maybe because the ABS  is on blue switches and those are my favorites? It would be so expensive to buy another keyboard just to see.

ABS seems to have better acoustics in my opinion..  I had a ducky one with abs keycaps and I have a ducky one rgb with pbt, needless to say I dont care much for the rgb, it also has transparent switch housings instead of the nylon housings on regular cherry switches so the sound is kinda tinny and sharp, rather than deeper sounding like on my regular ducky one.

This is the order i would rate the sound of keycaps..

ABS SA profile (best sound of any keycap in my opinion)
Pom ( I have a set of these and they are slightly better than ABS in cherry profile)
ABS (its what SA is made of, its what alot of keyboards come with, either in cherry or oem)
PBT (I love the material itself for durability, but I do not like the way it sounds at all in contrast to the other types)
Check out my live build streams on twitch and join my discord! https://discord.gg/QzeSQj2  https://www.twitch.tv/peripheral_installer

Offline mounds

• Builder of things and stuff
    • The Mounds Abides
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 12 March 2019, 11:08:04 »
It really depends imo.

Not only is the keycap material of importance, but also manufacturing process, since this effects overall keycaps density and sound. For example, I really enjoy anything PBT dye-sub with a decent thickness, whether it be mt3 or xda, since the keycaps just feel really solid. On the ABS side of the haus, most of the GMK keycaps I've used have been a pleasure as well, being doubleshot and having a bit of weight behind them.

Conversely, I've grown to semi-hate DSA even from the big mfgs since everyone wants to do them in the double-shot ABS styling. They end up thin-walled and cheap sounding imo. As far as I'm aware, the only notable set of DSA done in PBT is a specialty run of the Mito Godspeed (Minutemen) that oddly ran alongside the [ur=https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-mito-mt3-godspeed-custom-keycap-setl]mt3 drop[/url]. I almost pulled the trigger out of want of a good DSA set with solid shine durability and sound but opted not to because of other competing interests. My DSA sets, Legacy, LightCycle, and Miami Dolch, I've kind of unmounted and never remounted because of this. I eventually passed on the Miami Dolch set to a friend in a trade, but haven't let the others go due to sunk cost fallacy.

You really just like what you like and that's ok.
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 March 2019, 09:37:05 by mounds »
Tada68 (Jailhouse Aristotles) / MiniVan (Jailhouse Aristotles) / Planck (Aristotles) / Teensy m0116 (Matias QC) / ALPS64 ('Pine' SKCM White) / Teensy NeXT Non-ADB (SKCM Cream) / ALPS HHKB (SKCM Orange)

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 12 March 2019, 11:35:49 »
Absolutely. You should consider seeing a therapist.

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 12 March 2019, 12:03:51 »

This isn't a thing with Ducky ABS keycaps. I had one for 2 years and it's a little shiny but definitely no black coating coming off.

I'll second this, I got a set of red Ducky ABS doubleshot for their shine boards & was actually pretty impressed with their quality. They are very thick for shine through caps & being doubleshot you do not have to worry about the color wearing off leaving a quasi blank key that blasts the LED light right in your face. They do get shine like any other ABS caps, but that is about the worst i can say about them. Honestly they are great to use for boards you game with as they only run around $35 to $40 per set & you don't have worry about beating on your high quality sets. The only drawback there is that they just come in 104/108 key sets, so you can only use them with TKL & full sized boards that are WK & use a 6.25u space bar.

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 12 March 2019, 12:08:12 »
As for the original question from the OP I don't find it strange at all to prefer high quality ABS caps over high quality PBT caps. They both have their pros & cons, but when you're dealing with high quality caps (GMK, SA, DSA for ABS & ePBT or Hammer for PBT) you really can't go wrong either way. :thumb:

Offline mta

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 14 March 2019, 01:20:33 »
I also feel like if people are so concerned about shine, just don't eat oily foods right before you use the computer... or wipe the keys after use or something. Or wash your hands more often? idk                         

(idk I'm talking out of my rear, here...)

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 14 March 2019, 09:56:23 »
I also feel like if people are so concerned about shine, just don't eat oily foods right before you use the computer... or wipe the keys after use or something. Or wash your hands more often? idk                         

(idk I'm talking out of my rear, here...)

Or shine > new?

Offline mta

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 15 March 2019, 10:38:58 »
Or shine > new?

I mean I can only speak for myself but my issue with shine isn't the shine itself, but the lack of uniformity. Some keys get used more than others and so some keys will be shiny and others less so, and the shine itself isn't evenly distributed since we tend to only touch part of the cap.

Usually for me, that small spot on the spacebar is the first to go. After things start shining up it just doesn't look as nice/even/uniform.

Offline GreyHexagon

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 15 March 2019, 13:21:46 »
My Pennines on my Planck are ABS, I used some alcohol to actually polish some of them, I like the shine on the retro looking style. looks like I took them off an original POS machine

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 15 March 2019, 13:31:30 »
every1 needs to do their journey through ****ty abs to PBT to GMK perfection :)