Author Topic: Keyboard Repair project: LZ-GH  (Read 43912 times)

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
Re: Keyboard Repair project: LZ-GH
« Reply #150 on: Tue, 05 November 2013, 17:32:22 »
This is amazing.  :thumb:

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #151 on: Thu, 07 November 2013, 16:05:23 »
Still super jealous of this keyboard ^_^

kinda like it more than my own.
I love Elzy

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #152 on: Fri, 15 November 2013, 16:33:10 »
I was talking to someone about anodizing and ended up drawing some quick diagrams.  Thought I'd include them here for people to have an idea how keyboard parts can be anodized.

Firstly, only aluminum and a few other metals (like magnesium and titanium) can be anodized--stainless steel bolts and other parts will be corroded by acid in the anodizing bath and should not be included with your keyboard case.  Aluminum bolts are safe to leave in your part, if you'd like them to be anodized and dyed to match.  Type II and III anodizing are the typical ones seen on aluminum keyboards, and they are done in sulfuric acid baths with an electric current flowing through. Type II gives a typical thickness anodized layer, and type III is a thicker layer--what's known as hard anodizing.  Anodizing does not grow an extra layer on top of a surface--it actually transforms the surface of aluminum to a certain depth.  So subsequent peeling and reanodizing will diminish the size of your part, albeit by a microscopic amount.  But with enough reanodizing, you can notice that your bolt will fit a bit loosely in the reanodized threaded holes.  Good article here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anodizing

One of the tricks to an even finish is to properly suspend your keyboard part in the anodizing bath as well as in a dye bath.  Finish/texture are important too, so your part should be polished or sand/bead-blasted first for an even color.  If you're reanodizing an already finished part, you don't really need to worry about it where chemical stripping is possible, unless there are scratches or dents present--then you might need to re-finish as well.

Because anodizing and dying is done via contact of acid and dye with the surface of your aluminum parts, it's important to suspend those parts strategically, as anywhere you touch those parts, anodizing and dying will not happen properly.  Typically, anodizing racks are used to suspend aluminum parts in acid and then subsequently in a dye bath on the same rack, without having to touch that part by hands at all.  I drew this quick diagram of a typical anodizing "rack", and hopefully it's comprehensive enough

Those rings with spiky spokes can be adjusted up and down, and your part can be inserted onto them and held via tension/friction.  There will remain tiny silver pin-prick dots on the anodized surface where where the rack touches it.  If you are giving your keyboard parts to someone to anodize/reanodize, you should inquire what sorts of racks they use and think about the best way of putting your parts onto them, to make sure the points of contact are well hidden.  Anything like a wire through USB port and what not can damage those openings but also prevent the USB port area from getting an even color/anodizing layer.  It's also possible to suspend your part via attaching something to aluminum bolts inserted into it, but you'd have to find some sort of non-conductive string that won't corrode in sulfuric acid... or some sorts of aluminum hooks you can attach to your aluminum bolts. 

Initially, when your part is anodized, it's the standard color of anodized aluminum (silver or dark gray, or champagne, or whatever color depending on alloy and anodizing thickness).  The newly-anodized layer is porous until sealed.  It can be dipped into specialized dye immediately after anodizing (can be as simple as RIT dye, though specially formulated anodizing dyes are better quality and will have more intense / interesting effects and should be preferred) and sloshed around (or left in an agitated solution of dye) for anywhere from ~2 to 20 minutes, depending on dye concentration and desired color intensity.  Then, when the part has been dyed (or just left as is), it is dipped into a solution that seals the pores and rinsed--and that's the end.  You can handle it and and attach to your keyboard at that point.
« Last Edit: Fri, 15 November 2013, 16:36:06 by Photoelectric »
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #153 on: Sat, 16 November 2013, 23:16:16 »
Annnnnd I'm stealing that post for Simple Questions Photoelectric :P

Those diagrams are great :D

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #154 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 22:38:25 »
It's been some months... but the keyboard is finally finished!  The PCB is back from Sir mkawa who replaced the oscillator and had done some reflowing of the diode joints and such.

I've swapped the switches in it to 45g Jailhouse Blues I already had in storage from my old Filco, added some SIP sockets, and a Hyper Fuse DSA set, and wow!  It's literally my most favorite keyboard ever.  Turquoise LEDs + white + a dash of magenta.  So I'm gonna do a bit of a photo overload here, because I'm so excited that it's finally done!  I'm typing this post on the LZ-GH, and the combination of short throw light and soft tactile switches with DSA keycaps feels like a very good match.

(I should also add that taking photographs of LEDs is a pain, and it looks a lot nicer and more vibrant in person):

Jailhouse Blues

SIP sockets

Soldered in SIP sockets, quite short

All done and cleaned up!

Layer of dampening material (shelf liner)

Shiny!

In case

LEDs (turquoise + white + magenta) - I didn't push the right Fn LED all the way in, hence it didn't light up.  It's fixed now.

DSA Hyper Fuse

« Last Edit: Sun, 20 April 2014, 00:40:53 by Photoelectric »

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #155 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 22:55:13 »

Seriously, I need to go change my pants because that is sexy as hell.  That is an amazing color and DSA Hyperfuse is just perfect with it. 

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #156 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 23:14:14 »
Thanks, I'm super happy with it.  I just wish I could convey the LED color better in photographs.  It's a very intense turquoise color (which looks like pale aqua in photos), which looks pretty cool with a silver plate.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #157 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 23:14:17 »
beautiful work there photo!! you need a mint clack on that hyperfuse :P

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #158 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 23:15:21 »
Haha, and I just noticed Hard Knock Waz and another cap of mine in one of the pics.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #159 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 23:22:10 »
to photograph LEDs, turn off any overhead or task lights and spot meter with a focus point on the LED glow. the trick is to pu the luminosity of the LEDs at middle grey. because LEDs are so tight, and so bright compared to the things that surround them, camera metering systems expose around them rather than for them

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
« Reply #160 on: Sun, 20 April 2014, 00:49:00 »
^ the wizard has spoken

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #161 on: Sun, 20 April 2014, 00:50:55 »
to photograph LEDs, turn off any overhead or task lights and spot meter with a focus point on the LED glow. the trick is to pu the luminosity of the LEDs at middle grey. because LEDs are so tight, and so bright compared to the things that surround them, camera metering systems expose around them rather than for them

It's more of a color accuracy issue for me with LEDs, even taking photographs of them with other lights turned off.

Nubs:  ;)  There's a Hypnocap too.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #162 on: Sun, 20 April 2014, 14:16:35 »
What a fantastic job.  A real labor of love, and now a unique custom.  I just can't get past the jailhouse blues, though :p

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #163 on: Sun, 20 April 2014, 14:17:26 »
Show Image

Wow.  Perfect colors.  Woowwwwwww.

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #164 on: Sun, 20 April 2014, 16:07:03 »
Looks nice!
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #165 on: Sun, 20 April 2014, 20:27:40 »
What a fantastic job.  A real labor of love, and now a unique custom.  I just can't get past the jailhouse blues, though :p

First you try them, then you diss them (if you still feel inclined to  ;))

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #166 on: Tue, 11 April 2017, 23:02:41 »
Bumping this ancient thread for a bit of an update/conclusion.  Just received these from Katushkin (thank you, sir!)

by Photo Electric on Flickr

Daily driver (photo repost):

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #167 on: Wed, 12 April 2017, 00:00:50 »
One day I will get a stable job and have a keyboard this cool.

Alas, the life of a student.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #168 on: Wed, 12 April 2017, 00:12:33 »

I sold both of my fully modded Filcos and a Ducky to fund this board back in the day :)  No regrets!

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #169 on: Wed, 12 April 2017, 01:01:44 »

I sold both of my fully modded Filcos and a Ducky to fund this board back in the day :)  No regrets!

im very attached to one of my filcos but i'm probably about to part with most of my non-alu boards
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline mech0nly

« Reply #170 on: Wed, 12 April 2017, 06:21:23 »
Oh damn. i'm drooling
Nice and inspiring color!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
356CL DGE | 356mini | 360C | G81-3000SAT | G81-3000SAU | G81-3077SAU | ESA-3000-HASRO | G80-3000LPCXY-2 | G80-3485LWNUS-2 | 55g HHKB