Author Topic: The Great Geekhack Coffee Exchange  (Read 221863 times)

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
The Great Geekhack Coffee Exchange
« on: Thu, 14 February 2013, 19:36:02 »
Googledocs Ledger Sign-in: http://tinyurl.com/ahlukaf
Ledger to View: http://tinyurl.com/9wskxfj

The Story,

A few nights ago fellow GHer CPTBadAss and I were talking about coffee and brewing methods.

Each of us had a story to tell about a local shop that gets very fresh roasted beans.  Likewise for the both of us our local shops did their roasting on site.
Now nothing really prompted what came next other than love of the bean.

CPTBadAss and I exchanged info and are in the process of exchanging precious black coffee gold.

Tonight I came home to this,

13499-0
Honestly this is more than I expected and I haven't even had time to send out my offering. 

While being overwhelmed it came to me that I might be able to make a ledger anyone can sign to be part of a coffee exchange.
The idea is that there really aren't rules because nobody is obligated to action.  If you ever look at the list and notice a friendly
name I'd encourage asking them if they've got great coffee to share.  What I want to do with my new coffee is write about it
here in the exchange thread.  Hopefully more people who I know from the forums are into this sort of thing and maybe some more
beans could get circulated.  In case anyone is wondering I am going to be sending CPT a bunch of beans,

13501-1

This thread will be progressing, I'm sure, but the origin and ledger will remain in post 1 :)

Googledocs Ledger Sign-in: http://tinyurl.com/ahlukaf
Ledger to View: http://tinyurl.com/9wskxfj

***SPECIAL NOTE TO EVERYONE EXCHANGING COFFEE***

Please be considerate that one of the most prevalent allergies is a reaction to nuts.

To prevent any serious issues arising from this exchange please sent regular (unflavored/unadulterated roast) coffees ONLY unless otherwise specified by your exchange pal.
« Last Edit: Fri, 01 March 2013, 15:29:59 by Binge »
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
Re: The Great Geekhack Coffee Exchange
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 00:45:24 »
I'm in. This sounds like tons of fun.

My local coffee shop Crema roasts some amazing beans and I've become addicted to brewing with a Chemex.

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 00:46:56 »
Waiting for the post where someone catches some horrible disease.... :))

Offline Lanx

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 01:53:26 »
is vacuum sealing coffee good? don't get me wrong i have both the el cheapo ziploc pump and the food sealer as well (i just use the canisters for that, bags are messy) but i thought that coffee keeps on producing carbon dioxide, that's why the coffee beans that are vacuumed sealed in supermarkets have that little plastic at the top, it's a one way valve for carbon dioxide to escape.

anyway everyone have fun!

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 04:35:17 »
is vacuum sealing coffee good? don't get me wrong i have both the el cheapo ziploc pump and the food sealer as well (i just use the canisters for that, bags are messy) but i thought that coffee keeps on producing carbon dioxide, that's why the coffee beans that are vacuumed sealed in supermarkets have that little plastic at the top, it's a one way valve for carbon dioxide to escape.

Hmmm... cool, new knowledge... Now  is the coffee better with "more carbon"?

Offline Excaliborg

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 07:40:28 »
I have been thinking about making a coffee thread for awhile now. It will be awhile before join in though, since I just bought a few pounds over the weekend.

I'm also curious what kind of setup people have for making coffee. On a forum like this I would think that a fair amount of people have more than a standard drip setup when it comes to coffee but who knows.

Offline calavera

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 08:07:46 »
Any recommendations on some good ground coffee? I've been trying different kinds at the grocery store...haven't found a nice local shop like that yet.

Offline Excaliborg

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 08:22:07 »
I can't make a suggestion on a specific brand but I always check 2 things when I buy coffee:
1. Look for the location of the roaster. Try to find one in your city or a city nearby so that you know that it will be easy to obtain and fresh.
2. Look for the roast date on the bag. I try to buy bags that are 1-2 weeks old max.

Most stores have grinders in the coffee aisle so you can get whole bean coffee and grind it there which gives you more options. After that it is up to personal taste: light/dark roast chocolate/fruit notes etc. I also try to buy small amounts of coffee when trying something new so that I can get through it quickly if it is not what I expected it to be.

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 08:47:16 »

You are correct and the bags I use work with similar concept.  The one way valve will open up in the presence of excess gas.  The mechanism is really quite simple but allows you to do @home hand pump vaccum seals.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 10:17:58 »
Any recommendations on some good ground coffee? I've been trying different kinds at the grocery store...haven't found a nice local shop like that yet.

One of the biggest changes into making my coffee better was to grind the beans just prior to roasting. It was an order of magnitude better.

Of course the fresher the beans, the better as well, but even if you're buying Starbucks in a grocery store, grinding from whole beans at home will make a world of difference.

Just my two cents.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 10:21:28 »
I'll be watching this one... I don't know enough about coffee to actually do anything with this thread, but watching nonetheless. :D

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 10:35:03 »
I'll be watching this one... I don't know enough about coffee to actually do anything with this thread, but watching nonetheless. :D

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 10:38:34 »
In my Mr. Coffee? Not a chance that it'll taste good, will it? I have a grinder and what not, but just a regular drip pot.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 11:02:36 »
As a hopeless coffee addict, I LOVE THIS.

I've been looking for a good burr grinder, I have my eye on this one. Any comments or suggestiongs?

In my Mr. Coffee? Not a chance that it'll taste good, will it? I have a grinder and what not, but just a regular drip pot.

Buy an AeroPress. Inexpensive, makes exactly how much coffee you need, and it's the best tasting coffee I've ever had. Only takes like 5 minutes if you have an electric kettle, too.

Offline Excaliborg

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 11:28:39 »
I use a Hario mini mill for Turkish coffee and it works very well. It can grind whole beans almost to the consistency of flour.  If you are prepared to stand in the kitchen turning that thing for a few minutes to get a cup of coffee it should be fine. I would hate to use a hand grinder for anything over a few tablespoons of coffee though :(.

I upgraded from a Capresso Infinity to a Baratza Encore at the beginning of the year and it works extremely well for anything from espresso to french press.

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 11:43:32 »
Speaking of the Aeropress... This is how I treated CPTBadAss's beans xD

13483-013485-113487-213489-313491-413493-513495-613497-7

Step1- Grind da beans!  I use a hand-crank ceramic conical burr grinder on an espresso grind.  The finer your grind the more it reacts to temperature.  Higher temp releases more from teh beans!
Step2- Ready the aeropress for an 'inverted' brew method.  Start i3oiling (lulz) your water to your desired temp.
Step3- One scoop of lovely lovely freshly ground coffee
Step4- Pour water (@ desired temp) enough to wet the beans. Watch the grounds gas off.
Step5- Once the grounds stop creating large bubbles from gassing pour almost fill the rest of the aeropress tube.
Step6- Stir genly w/included aeropress paddle.
Step7- use a bit more water to wash the coffee on paddle back into the coffee. (I USE IT ALL DERNIT)
Step8- Put on filter and top being VERY careful not to get burnt.
Step9- Flip the Aeropress over onto a mug holding the body and plunger of the press firmly so that the plunger/body do not come off and prevent burns.
Step10- Apply constant pressure to the aeropress.
Step11- Worship through consumption.

HAIL BEAN

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 12:04:39 »
I'm definitely investing in an arrow press and ceramic burr grinder soon (anyone have any experience with Hario?).

As for trading I have access to a myriad of local stuff, Blue Bottle, Ritual, Four Barrel and Sight Glass as well as Sweet Maria's for unroasted beans. I'm will to trade with anyone interested in trying any of these companies coffees.

ISO Stumptown FT various Bay Area coffees

Man I miss Stumptown so much...  :(

Offline Lanx

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 13:04:08 »
lol aeropress, i just bought a refill pack of 350 filters yesterday!

yea as far as i can tell, the hario (or variants kyocera) get rave reviews as far as handcrank goes. (i keep forgetting to buy one, bleh)

gonna put links in here so i can come back to it when i have time to shop!
tiny hario(what i call the cute version lol, there's a bigger bulb sized hario)
kyocera bulb bigger version
33 and 50bucks respectively
it's cheap when you see that this is the zenith of handcrank grinders, the next one up that ppl cannot complain about are those 1,000 dollar electric burr grinders.

Binge tutorial is basicaly the step by step best tutorial, imo.
notes
step 2, for ppl that are new to aeropress this means you place the plunger on the table, attach the tube to it. this basically creates a brew pot, depending on how long you want it (most say 30seconds?) don't worry, even if it's upside down, the coffee and boiling water will not leak, it's practically impossible unless it's cracked, even then i've dropped the aero press many times!, i'm sure ppl who have used one and responds here will say the same, dropped it tons, hasn't broken.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 13:11:40 »
You guys will hate me but...

Cheap store brand coffee made one pot at a time in a cheap coffee maker. At night, I turn off the pot heater and microwave the next day to re-heat. A bit of sugar and chocolate/vanilla flavored creamer

However, still better than instant coffee. That stuff tastes like hobo taint
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 13:13:01 »
???????????????????

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 13:26:58 »
Just added myself to the Ledger. I will have to find some local brews...

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 15:38:27 »
Just added myself to the Ledger. I will have to find some local brews...

http://tinyurl.com/d5k7otp

Dey're called roasters :)

Offline webs0r

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 16:04:51 »
I went from using the Aeropress for a few years...
13526-0

To getting a bit more serious about my addiction:
13528-1

Freshness of the roast trumps almost everything, if you want to taste the complexities of the underlying bean. I agree with a prior poster, get beans with the roast date explicitly written/stamped on the pack. The one-way valve packs are best. If unfamiliar with a seller, and they don't specify the roast date, ask them. Different coffees can vary as to when they "peak" after roasting but generally its like 3-7 days. Then finish it all as soon as possible !!!  :)) Enjoy with friends.

I keep an excel list of my coffee ratings because I try so many, I don't remember which ones I liked  ;D It's useful to have.

I also filter my tap water via a Brita filter. Mostly to stop limescale buildup in the machine, as the water in Melbourne is generally excellent.

For the Aeropressers I notice there are kettles now that you can dial in a temperature? Could be useful to hit the lower temps you need - what is it, 75-80 deg C or so! I wish I had one when I was Aeropressing!
Filco Ninja TKL Browns | Leopold FC700R Graphite Reds | Matias Quiet Pro | Topre Realforce 10th Anniversary Constant-55g | Vortex RACE Reds | CM Storm Quickfire Pro Blues | CODE keyboard Clears

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 18:25:05 »
I'm happy you got around to setting this up Binge. I thought it was a good idea. And I'm glad you liked your package.

See what happens when you make off-hand comments in IRC? Everyone wants to join in on the fun and soon WalletHack has it's talons sinking deeper and deeper into your wallets  :p

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 18:26:42 »
???????????????????

:(

How good is the Aeropress? I've heard nothing but good things about it and would be willing to give it a try
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline webs0r

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 18:56:07 »
The Aeropress is awesome! And so inexpensive it is always worth giving it a shot and compare it to your other favourite brewing methods.

Just google for tips to get the best coffee out of it.

IIRC, it generally means a coarser grind and lower temperature water than you would use for an Espresso shot. (I think because the grind is steeping in the water for longer, it will start releasing the bitterness after it extracts the goodness, so you counter this with the coarseness/temp to just get the best parts)
If you go somewhere and get your grind done for you, ask them if they have a setting for Aeropress.

And don't get too much at a time! As it will degrade much more quickly when its ground vs whole beans. Keeping it in the fridge should help.
Filco Ninja TKL Browns | Leopold FC700R Graphite Reds | Matias Quiet Pro | Topre Realforce 10th Anniversary Constant-55g | Vortex RACE Reds | CM Storm Quickfire Pro Blues | CODE keyboard Clears

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 20:10:06 »
The Aeropress is awesome! And so inexpensive it is always worth giving it a shot and compare it to your other favourite brewing methods.

Just google for tips to get the best coffee out of it.

IIRC, it generally means a coarser grind and lower temperature water than you would use for an Espresso shot. (I think because the grind is steeping in the water for longer, it will start releasing the bitterness after it extracts the goodness, so you counter this with the coarseness/temp to just get the best parts)
If you go somewhere and get your grind done for you, ask them if they have a setting for Aeropress.

And don't get too much at a time! As it will degrade much more quickly when its ground vs whole beans. Keeping it in the fridge should help.

After you get really good with one I'd say start messing with grounds which are more fine than medium grind and with your temperature.  The results can be surprising.

Next weekend I'm going to a 200+ user lan and I'm going to bring my brew kit along.  Charging $1.20 a mug. heeeeeheeee

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 19 February 2013, 18:07:59 »
I got this in the mail today...

Oh yeah, and these!

I cannot WAIT to try them. Plus, they came in this amazing vacuum seal bag. Way better than my packaging =(

I'll post an update about the brewed coffee later.

Offline Excaliborg

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 19 February 2013, 18:56:15 »
@webs0r: What kind of grinder is that? It looks like a Mazzer with some customization.

Can you save different profiles in there for grind settings using the display after you dial in proper consistency for a new batch of beans, such as x amount of grams to be ground within x seconds?

Offline webs0r

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 19 February 2013, 20:57:16 »
@webs0r: What kind of grinder is that? It looks like a Mazzer with some customization.

Can you save different profiles in there for grind settings using the display after you dial in proper consistency for a new batch of beans, such as x amount of grams to be ground within x seconds?

It's a Macap M4D actually.
Yes to setting grind time, no to setting a dosage.

You can set the grind time digitally for a 2 profiles: "single" and "double". It also has a continuous mode where it grinds while you press your group handle up against the red button. (Interestingly it also counts the number of single/double shots ground over its lifetime!)

It can't measure the actual dosage in grams though. So that would vary with the time and the fineness you set via the collar, also the beans seem to affect it as well (ie the roast/how oily they are, and maybe how much weight is in the hopper)

I've found that I've found the ideal 'close' setting that most of my fresh coffee is close to and then tweak to adjust. Unfortunately I can't get perfect consistency in the dosage unless I add some funky steps into the 'workflow'.

Also inevitably some grind ends up on the bench with this doserless design. I just suck it up with a portable vacuum  :))

Offline deepthawt

• ︻̷̿┻̿═━一
    • my programming hobby site, interactive jigsaws, photos &c
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 19 February 2013, 22:04:06 »
We've been using one of these espresso makers every morning, for years,

We put this on one gas burner, and a small pot of milk on low.

7 minutes later, the coffee is ready,
the milk frother wand is used and...caffellatte.
More
[| Ducky Shine II 9087 Yellow LED/BlueMX  |  Saitek Eclipse II  |  IBM Model M 1391401  | Cherry G80-5000  |  Logitech diNovo Mini  |  Microsoft Natural Ergonomic 4000  |  Matias Quiet Pro PC  |  Dell TH836  |  NEC KB-6923  |  Fujitsu FKB4700  |  GearHead Mini USB  KB1700U (89 key) | Filco Majestouch-2 ninja/blues  |   Matias Mini Quiet Pro PC | Ducky Shine 4/Clear MX | E Element RGB Silver/Black Outemu |]

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 10:21:54 »
We've been using one of these espresso makers every morning, for years,
(Attachment Link)
We put this on one gas burner, and a small pot of milk on low.

7 minutes later, the coffee is ready,
the milk frother wand is used and...caffellatte.

Such a device without a name?  What is the brand/model?

Offline webs0r

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 14:30:41 »
Looks like a percolator but with a fancy spout at the top so that the coffee pours out into a cup when it boils!

Offline Dianoda

« Reply #33 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 15:53:34 »
I'm definitely investing in an arrow press and ceramic burr grinder soon (anyone have any experience with Hario?).

As for trading I have access to a myriad of local stuff, Blue Bottle, Ritual, Four Barrel and Sight Glass as well as Sweet Maria's for unroasted beans. I'm will to trade with anyone interested in trying any of these companies coffees.

ISO Stumptown FT various Bay Area coffees

Man I miss Stumptown so much...  :(

Just flipped through the thread and figured I could comment on the Hario grinder...

I have one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/Hario-Coffee-Hand-Grinder-Skerton/dp/B001802PIQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1361396413&sr=8-2&keywords=hario+grinder

It's nice, quality of grind, ability to select your desired grind, and durability of the unit are all strong points, you will tire of grinding by hand eventually (it might take a few years to get to that point), but my only real complaint about the unit is there not being any kind of cover to prevent the occasional bit of bean from flying out of the grinder when the hopper is nearly empty.

As for the GH coffee exchange - joined.  At the end of the month I'm moving near a nice coffee shop in Chicago that roasts it's own beans - Ipsento, easily the best coffee I've had in the city (they have a crazy coffee menu, too - check 'em out if you are ever in the city, highly recommended, completely worth it - http://www.yelp.com/biz/ipsento-chicago)

Offline tauburn

« Reply #34 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 21:24:54 »
I use a french press that i've had pretty much all my life. I think my dad got it in his 30s. Recently got this grinder

http://www.amazon.com/KitchenAid-Line-Series-Coffee-Black/dp/B003AM7KIK/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1361416978&sr=1-1&keywords=kitchen+aid+proline+coffee+grinder

I like it alot. The difference from my old blade grinder is mind blowing. I've been drinking a lot of Stumptown and Counter Culture coffee. Been meaning to find a roaster in philadelphia but im not sure where to go.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 21:33:35 »
I like it alot. The difference from my old blade grinder is mind blowing. I've been drinking a lot of Stumptown and Counter Culture coffee. Been meaning to find a roaster in philadelphia but im not sure where to go.

You can always go to yelp.com and to find a place. That's how I learned about Coffee Emporium. Binge can attest to their coffee and how good it is ^_^

Offline tauburn

« Reply #36 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 21:41:47 »

You can always go to yelp.com and to find a place. That's how I learned about Coffee Emporium. Binge can attest to their coffee and how good it is ^_^

Oh i've found places. the problem is i found too many. As stupid as that sounds i just dont know which one to go to.

Offline deepthawt

• ︻̷̿┻̿═━一
    • my programming hobby site, interactive jigsaws, photos &c
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 21:45:49 »

Such a device without a name?  What is the brand/model?

The coffee maker is from GSI outdoors.

http://www.gsioutdoors.com/products/pdp/4_cup_aluminum_mini_expresso

http://www.gsioutdoors.com/products/pdp/4_cup_stainless_mini_expresso

My then g/f (now married) sent it to me when I got back from Germany and was stranded in a small town up north in Alberta Canada.  I had been using a french press until then and this little gem was a wonderful transformation.

13821-0

It works similar to what some may know as a Bialetti espresso maker.
The water goes in the bottom, a funnel like attachment holds the coffee in its basket and the stem is immersed in the water.
The heated water is pressurised and is forced up the funnel, through the coffee and up the pipe, into the cup sitting on the shelf under the spiggot.  The sound of the hot water and steam at the end alerts you the unit needs to be taken off the burner.

Pardon my crude drawing, but the coffee is wonderful and cleanup is easy, no paper filters just wash and dry.
More
[| Ducky Shine II 9087 Yellow LED/BlueMX  |  Saitek Eclipse II  |  IBM Model M 1391401  | Cherry G80-5000  |  Logitech diNovo Mini  |  Microsoft Natural Ergonomic 4000  |  Matias Quiet Pro PC  |  Dell TH836  |  NEC KB-6923  |  Fujitsu FKB4700  |  GearHead Mini USB  KB1700U (89 key) | Filco Majestouch-2 ninja/blues  |   Matias Mini Quiet Pro PC | Ducky Shine 4/Clear MX | E Element RGB Silver/Black Outemu |]

Offline Lanx

« Reply #38 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 22:33:06 »
serious question, is it supposed to look like a kitchen sink?, seriously it looks like barbie's cooking set, but what kind of grind size for this thing? corse or fine?

Offline silat

« Reply #39 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 00:12:45 »
As a hopeless coffee addict, I LOVE THIS.

I've been looking for a good burr grinder, I have my eye on this one. Any comments or suggestiongs?

Buy an AeroPress. Inexpensive, makes exactly how much coffee you need, and it's the best tasting coffee I've ever had. Only takes like 5 minutes if you have an electric kettle, too.

Coffeegeek is a pretty good forum for info......
Fighting the Christian American Taliban daily with my Deck Legend loaded with Cherry MX Clears //
Deck Legend Ice Clears // Deck Legend Frost Clears // Ducky Shining Purple Browns//QPAD MK85 Browns //

Offline webs0r

« Reply #40 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 01:09:29 »
serious question, is it supposed to look like a kitchen sink?, seriously it looks like barbie's cooking set, but what kind of grind size for this thing? corse or fine?

It's a percolator so coarser (relative to espresso) as the water boils through it. But finer than say, a french press (where it just sits there in the water the whole time).

IMO I prefer the Aeropress over percolator. You get better control of water temperature + "brew time", so you can get more of the good bits and less of the bitterness.

Plus the paper filters are great, I find typical percolators let a bit of grind pass up with the boiling water, so you get some grind in the cup, which will release more bitterness as it sits in there. The paper filter in the Aeropress doesn't let anything through.

For crema and heavy body though, machine is best!

Offline Lanx

« Reply #41 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 01:38:25 »
actually if you grind too fine on an aeropress you will have a bit of silt, where the aeropress twists to connect is actually an area where water can escape from and silt will follow (the notches). i try to combat this by wetting the filter first so that it "sticks" to the blackbottom better and makes a tighter seal all around, but stuff still escapes.

either that or my aeropress is getting old.

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #42 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 12:37:19 »
actually if you grind too fine on an aeropress you will have a bit of silt, where the aeropress twists to connect is actually an area where water can escape from and silt will follow (the notches). i try to combat this by wetting the filter first so that it "sticks" to the blackbottom better and makes a tighter seal all around, but stuff still escapes.

You can also bloom your grounds.  I highly recommend that in addition to wetting your filter.  I use an espresso grind with my press.

Totally into trying that interesting looking GSI outdoors coffee maker deepthawt mentioned!  Thanks for the tip.  I love moka pot.  Great for making coffee with a medium grind.

I know this has been called a percolator but in fact it is a moka pot http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moka_pot
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 February 2013, 12:47:52 by Binge »

Offline tauburn

« Reply #43 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 14:02:53 »

You can also bloom your grounds.  I highly recommend that in addition to wetting your filter.  I use an espresso grind with my press.

Totally into trying that interesting looking GSI outdoors coffee maker deepthawt mentioned!  Thanks for the tip.  I love moka pot.  Great for making coffee with a medium grind.

I know this has been called a percolator but in fact it is a moka pot http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moka_pot

I've been using a moka pot recently it's pretty good but i never get as tasty results as french press.

Offline webs0r

« Reply #44 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 14:44:35 »

Ohhh so that is what is properly called. Thanks for that.

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #45 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 17:02:59 »
I seriously mean no disrespect and love you.

I too learn so much here!  Thanks everyone.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #46 on: Fri, 22 February 2013, 19:15:25 »
So I drink coffee as a treat on the weekends. If I drink it durnig the week, it messes with my sleep schedule. I didn't get to try Binge's Costa Rican until tonight. First off, it's amazingly smooth. Very little bitterness. It's almost chocolately. And it's darker than the medium roast (forget exactly where they're from) beans I sent to Binge. Excuse me as I go and make 3 more cups of this deliciousness ^_^

Offline Lanx

« Reply #47 on: Sun, 24 February 2013, 21:35:44 »
for some reason amazon held up my aeropress filters, and i ran out i mean i gave them a week to ship, so i took out my melita
http://www.amazon.com/Melitta-Ready-Single-Coffee-Brewer/dp/B0014CVEH6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361756813&sr=8-1&keywords=melita

still makes really nice, i don't have the collapsable yellow thing, just thought it'd be cool for travellers. for the filters i still have lots of #2 laying around. costs are more than aero press since the filters are way larger. like 3 to 4x more.

Offline tauburn

« Reply #48 on: Sun, 24 February 2013, 21:47:20 »
for some reason amazon held up my aeropress filters, and i ran out i mean i gave them a week to ship, so i took out my melita
http://www.amazon.com/Melitta-Ready-Single-Coffee-Brewer/dp/B0014CVEH6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361756813&sr=8-1&keywords=melita

still makes really nice, i don't have the collapsable yellow thing, just thought it'd be cool for travellers. for the filters i still have lots of #2 laying around. costs are more than aero press since the filters are way larger. like 3 to 4x more.

those are good as long as the water is the right temperature. just under boiling. if you get a japanese hot water despenser it makes it even easier

Offline Lanx

« Reply #49 on: Mon, 25 February 2013, 04:23:37 »
yea i "know" when my kettle is about to hit 200, from taking measurements when it hits boiling and then resting, so usually it's around 200, a tempurature one would take the guesstimate out heh. funny thing about electric kettles i saw this documentary and it said that in the uk at specific times of day, particularly before soccer halftime starts or something the electricity usage jumps to crazy levels, thats cuz every turns on the kettle to make tea b4 they come back, probably like all the water at halftime goes to toilets, etc...