Author Topic: [IC] Polaris - GB has begun  (Read 228012 times)

Offline juaninamilli

Re: [IC] Polaris - Gasket 60% for $265
« Reply #250 on: Fri, 10 May 2019, 11:06:45 »
I’m a little curious as to why people are so interested in the GSKT00 mounting system in the Polaris thread. There are a few different styles of gasket mounting out there. Why specifically that one?

Offline jrs

« Reply #251 on: Fri, 10 May 2019, 11:32:29 »
Can’t say if he owns one, but I do believe he owns eyes. That’s how I was able to notice they are different styles of gaskets.
$265 for true gasket mount? I'm in.
The mount is different from that used in keyboards such as the GSKT-00.

do you own one to say its different?
I don't own one.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #252 on: Fri, 10 May 2019, 11:50:56 »
I’m a little curious as to why people are so interested in the GSKT00 mounting system in the Polaris thread. There are a few different styles of gasket mounting out there. Why specifically that one?

Offline juaninamilli

« Reply #253 on: Fri, 10 May 2019, 11:52:35 »
Haha

Offline garbo

« Reply #254 on: Fri, 10 May 2019, 14:39:17 »

To be fair, I can see how the 365 mini's plate mounting arrangement could be considered "true" gasket mounting in the sense that it was the first to be referred to as such. As far as I know the GSKT's notable for being the only modern board that's so far taken a similar approach.

Not that semantic arguments over the term are worth anything... People need something to discuss while they wait for details on this board, I guess.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #255 on: Fri, 10 May 2019, 14:53:08 »

To be fair, I can see how the 365 mini's plate mounting arrangement could be considered "true" gasket mounting in the sense that it was the first to be referred to as such. As far as I know the GSKT's notable for being the only modern board that's so far taken a similar approach.

Not that semantic arguments over the term are worth anything... People need something to discuss while they wait for details on this board, I guess.

the 356N was the first gasket mounted board, so it's not like people really have proper information on this stuff in the first place

and the g00skt also uses a lower duro than the 356mini, and carterh and weaston are quick to point out that it's not meant to be exact in terms of feel

but im willing to bet that i'm one of very few people who have typed on all 3 of those boards in the first place, so really who the **** cares

the polaris is gonna be lit, it's gonna be cheap, and i'm willing to bet it's gonna be a lot of people's first custom

i like this board and there are decent odds i buy one
« Last Edit: Fri, 10 May 2019, 14:54:41 by Puddsy »
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline iaman

« Reply #256 on: Fri, 10 May 2019, 15:25:20 »
I have no idea, and had never heard of it prior to this thread! Was curious, since there was a pretty bold claim being made. Sounds like a drama mine.

Honestly same. This might be the thing that gets me to finally give 60% a shot if it ends up being a nice, affordable way for me to try a gasket-mount build for the first time!

Offline Gati

« Reply #257 on: Fri, 10 May 2019, 15:30:05 »
Any chance of a matte weight option? I move my keyboard around quite often and polished weights seem to get micro-scratches easily

Offline Kavik

« Reply #258 on: Fri, 10 May 2019, 15:31:25 »
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline garbo

« Reply #259 on: Fri, 10 May 2019, 15:33:05 »
the 356N was the first gasket mounted board, so it's not like people really have proper information on this stuff in the first place

and the g00skt also uses a lower duro than the 356mini, and carterh and weaston are quick to point out that it's not meant to be exact in terms of feel

but im willing to bet that i'm one of very few people who have typed on all 3 of those boards in the first place, so really who the **** cares

the polaris is gonna be lit, it's gonna be cheap, and i'm willing to bet it's gonna be a lot of people's first custom

That makes sense and is good to know. I wasn't trying to seem authoritative on the matter myself so much as playing devil's advocate on how the GSKT talk might be relevant.

It seems like a shame that information on the design of customs isn't being better collected somehow. In five or ten years will details on boards like this seem like the same kind of arcane knowledge that only future Puddsys will recollect? (I know OTD stuff is actually relatively well documented and doesn't make for the best example, but still)

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #260 on: Fri, 10 May 2019, 15:41:05 »

That makes sense and is good to know. I wasn't trying to seem authoritative on the matter myself so much as playing devil's advocate on how the GSKT talk might be relevant.

It seems like a shame that information on the design of customs isn't being better collected somehow. In five or ten years will details on boards like this seem like the same kind of arcane knowledge that only future Puddsys will recollect? (I know OTD stuff is actually relatively well documented and doesn't make for the best example, but still)

i had a spreadsheet but i realized nobody gave a **** about the info that was on it so i deleted it

i'm not the only "authority" on any of this (actually i don't think i'm too far above the average) i've just been around a while

Show Image

no such thing don't worry
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline juaninamilli

« Reply #261 on: Fri, 10 May 2019, 17:21:35 »
Pretty sure it’s sandblasted then matte clear.
Any chance of a matte weight option? I move my keyboard around quite often and polished weights seem to get micro-scratches easily

Offline jrs

« Reply #262 on: Fri, 10 May 2019, 17:56:15 »
I am also planning on buying one.

Offline weaston

« Reply #263 on: Fri, 10 May 2019, 20:42:46 »
[quote author=Puddsy link=topic=100383.msg2761533#msg2761533 date=15575179
[/quote]

Honestly ligma puddsy, don't claim to know how my boards feel or what durometer I ****in used for my gasket and I hope you never get to feel a single one of my boards.  My duro was not lower than the mini and I hope that one day you stop blowing smoke up everyone's ass on this site because you think you're a know it all.  The name is also GSKT-00 not g00sket but have fun with your ****ty inside jokes that you aren't even part of.
DK Saver | Kingsaver | OTD 360 Corsa | OTD 456GT | OTD Cheat | KMAC 1.3 | KMAC 1.2 | KMAC Happy | KMAC Pad | KMAC Mini (Revo) | Singa | HHKB Pro 1 | GSKT-00 | IBM 5251 | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model M | Dolch PAC | Kinesis Advantage

Offline Remsky

• Lubed switch count > Puddsy post count
« Reply #264 on: Fri, 10 May 2019, 20:59:34 »
Can’t say if he owns one, but I do believe he owns eyes. That’s how I was able to notice they are different styles of gaskets.
$265 for true gasket mount? I'm in.
The mount is different from that used in keyboards such as the GSKT-00.

do you own one to say its different?
I don't own one.
I do, it is different. If you like polaris, get it.
TGR Jane v2 - GSKT00(coming) - TGR Jane CE V2 - TGR Poly alice - LZ Physix - Matrix 8XV 2.0 - RS - LZ FE - Dalco 959 Mini GT edition (coming) - Mc65 - Hiney TKL one - HHKB Pro 1 - 25th anniversary edition HHKB pro Hybrid - 30th anniversary Filco 2S keyboard

Offline donkey

« Reply #265 on: Fri, 10 May 2019, 21:26:58 »
I'm hoping the padding material can be replaced easily, like with strips of Sorbothane. The result won't be pretty because Sorbothane doesn't cut pretty but I care more about the feel than looks.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #266 on: Fri, 10 May 2019, 23:34:41 »

Honestly ligma puddsy, don't claim to know how my boards feel or what durometer I ****in used for my gasket and I hope you never get to feel a single one of my boards.  My duro was not lower than the mini and I hope that one day you stop blowing smoke up everyone's ass on this site because you think you're a know it all.  The name is also GSKT-00 not g00sket but have fun with your ****ty inside jokes that you aren't even part of.

well, carter seemed open to saying literally what i just said when i asked him about it a while back but ok

and i have a few friends in my discord who have g00skts so i've been around a fair few of em already

nearly bought one off someone a month ago
« Last Edit: Fri, 10 May 2019, 23:46:40 by Puddsy »

Offline ai03

• I do not reply to PMs; contact me via website
    • Website
« Reply #267 on: Sat, 11 May 2019, 02:37:25 »

Weight is matte blast brass, clear coated.

Show Image

"Gasket" is so vague of a term at this point that any keyboard with some non-plastic/metal material could claim to be gasket mount.

Offline sK0pe

« Reply #268 on: Sat, 11 May 2019, 07:34:24 »
Will there be a render for the olive green or a prototype?
I've been interested in getting a green board for a while now and am also interested in the poly-carbonate half plate.

I really shouldn't be getting this but it seems different than other boards.

Offline weaston

« Reply #269 on: Sat, 11 May 2019, 07:55:03 »

well, carter seemed open to saying literally what i just said when i asked him about it a while back but ok

and i have a few friends in my discord who have g00skts so i've been around a fair few of em already

Carter never confirmed a damn thing about the durometer of the 00 gasket.  You claimed to have some sort of sixth sense bull**** and could tell the durometer off the surface finish of it, which is laughable at best.
DK Saver | Kingsaver | OTD 360 Corsa | OTD 456GT | OTD Cheat | KMAC 1.3 | KMAC 1.2 | KMAC Happy | KMAC Pad | KMAC Mini (Revo) | Singa | HHKB Pro 1 | GSKT-00 | IBM 5251 | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model M | Dolch PAC | Kinesis Advantage

Offline Afteryou

« Reply #270 on: Sat, 11 May 2019, 08:16:45 »
This is some really crunchy popcorn
The roof is not my son but I will raise it.

Offline MyCow

« Reply #271 on: Sat, 11 May 2019, 08:34:53 »
Jeez lol they’re just keyboards - how can one get so salty. They’re just “things”, just enjoy em - what a pointless argument...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #272 on: Sat, 11 May 2019, 10:39:05 »

Carter never confirmed a damn thing about the durometer of the 00 gasket.  You claimed to have some sort of sixth sense bull**** and could tell the durometer off the surface finish of it, which is laughable at best.

I know this solution to this... sell me a GSKT-00 hhkb.

Offline cldskt

• Wallet and hobby aren't friends
« Reply #273 on: Sat, 11 May 2019, 11:14:00 »

Oh no you broke puddsy he didn't even reply anymore :(

"Addiction is buying the things that I don't need with the money I don't have." - me
"Spending $500 on your first custom is justified." - also me

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #274 on: Sat, 11 May 2019, 11:49:03 »

Nah I was asleep and I don't care enough to use gh on my phone

I just wanted to see how salty I could make him, I totally have no idea of it's a different duro.

When I had a mini it didn't flex like the g00skt does (and feels totally different, I add) so I figured it was different but it might not be.
« Last Edit: Sat, 11 May 2019, 11:53:10 by Puddsy »

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #275 on: Sat, 11 May 2019, 11:50:58 »
This is some really crunchy popcorn

:Melon:

Offline KingOfMemes

« Reply #276 on: Sat, 11 May 2019, 12:24:10 »
Jeez lol they’re just keyboards - how can one get so salty. They’re just “things”, just enjoy em - what a pointless argument...
Just keyboards!? How else am I supposed to project my perfect 100IQ and pretentious facts and logic if not through custom keyboards?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #277 on: Sat, 11 May 2019, 12:40:09 »
Just keyboards!? How else am I supposed to project my perfect 100IQ and pretentious facts and logic if not through custom keyboards?

i know this is a meme but every hobby has people like that

if i have to read one more forum thread about how a nitro finish actually changes the sound of a guitar in a way that's not microtonally different i'm gonna quit hobbies entirely

but yeah i'll stop mining salt when it stops being fun

Offline MyCow

« Reply #278 on: Sat, 11 May 2019, 12:41:40 »

if i have to read one more forum thread about how a nitro finish actually changes the sound of a guitar in a way that's not microtonally different i'm gonna quit hobbies entirely

I respect that lol.
People are too opinionated when it comes to hobbies.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #279 on: Sat, 11 May 2019, 12:43:47 »

I respect that lol.
People are too opinionated when it comes to hobbies.

to be fair i used to be that way so i kinda get it

then i realized getting physically upset over anything anyone says on the internet is a huge waste of time and energy

big part of why i've been so much more active here is that i quit all social media so i have a lot more free time online

Offline otanishock

• One of the cool kids :>
  • ファーストラブ
« Reply #280 on: Sat, 11 May 2019, 13:17:40 »
Good luck with the future GB, ai. I will for sure be picking one up. This is easily a $500 quality custom being sold at $265. Very nice

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #281 on: Sat, 11 May 2019, 13:59:21 »

Nah I was asleep and I don't care enough to use gh on my phone

I just wanted to see how salty I could make him, I totally have no idea of it's a different duro.

When I had a mini it didn't flex like the g00skt does (and feels totally different, I add) so I figured it was different but it might not be.

FWIW the alu plate g00 I tried at a meetup didn't flex at all.
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline ai03

• Website
« Reply #282 on: Sat, 11 May 2019, 19:32:03 »
btw this is polaris thread

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #283 on: Sat, 11 May 2019, 21:26:37 »

Any word on prospect ETA?

Offline ai03

• Website
« Reply #284 on: Sat, 11 May 2019, 22:40:04 »
Any word on prospect ETA?

Just waiting for the prototype to finish anodizing at this point.
Once it's confirmed that it assembles properly, it'll be ready for GB.

Offline coffeeshopcoder

« Reply #285 on: Sun, 12 May 2019, 01:34:04 »
Any color samples of the olive green would be greatly appreciated !
or even a render with GMK wavez or nautilus nightmares ?

Been wanting a green board for a long time, but green is such a hard color to get right in anodizing !!!

Offline jrs

« Reply #286 on: Sun, 12 May 2019, 02:07:02 »
Any color samples of the olive green would be greatly appreciated !
or even a render with GMK wavez or nautilus nightmares ?

Been wanting a green board for a long time, but green is such a hard color to get right in anodizing !!!
I think the olive green color will be the same as what's available on the Tofu from kbdfans.

Offline vegs

« Reply #287 on: Sun, 12 May 2019, 04:31:40 »

puddsy talking out of his ass, what else is new
hhkb | hhkb bt | cherry g80-5000 | haus | unikorn se

buy less

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #288 on: Sun, 12 May 2019, 04:55:47 »
puddsy talking out of his ass, what else is new
Show Image

Gasket gatekeeping, apparently.

Offline juaninamilli

« Reply #289 on: Sun, 12 May 2019, 11:47:19 »
Keep talking about someone who wants to be talked about, and they’ll keep talking.... So.... Staaahp

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
« Reply #290 on: Mon, 13 May 2019, 10:55:05 »

Will the gasket be "squishy" at all, or will it be mostly firm to the touch?
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline Uryftw

« Reply #291 on: Mon, 13 May 2019, 11:21:42 »
This is quite an interesting board!

Offline lolafineday

« Reply #292 on: Mon, 13 May 2019, 11:45:52 »

No gasket mounts are squishy really, they are noticeable, but you won’t be surprised and it won’t change your life.

Offline Dakk1d

« Reply #293 on: Mon, 13 May 2019, 13:34:32 »
First post!
This will be my first build and I cant wait. If someone who's more expecienced then myself could PM me that would be very appreciated. I have some ideas and questions regarding my build :)
This might be my greatest and most expensive mistake starting off with keebs but yolo...
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline KingOfMemes

« Reply #294 on: Mon, 13 May 2019, 13:39:40 »
First post!
This will be my first build and I cant wait. If someone who's more expecienced then myself could PM me that would be very appreciated. I have some ideas and questions regarding my build :)
This might be my greatest and most expensive mistake starting off with keebs but yolo...
Welcome to the community! I think you are making a great choice with this keeb as your first custom. While I personally consider myself to be the #1 guru of all things involving keyboards, I would suggest you peep the GH irc channel. That way you can get live advice/direction from a lot of people.  Feel free to PM me anyway though

IRC: http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=geekhack

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #295 on: Mon, 13 May 2019, 14:21:43 »
First post!
Welcome to the community! I think you are making a great choice with this keeb as your first custom. While I personally consider myself to be the #1 guru of all things involving keyboards, I would suggest you peep the GH irc channel. That way you can get live advice/direction from a lot of people.  Feel free to PM me anyway though

IRC: http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=geekhack

also the r/mk discord

it's good for new folks

Offline Acereconkeys

• Happiness = life - expectations
« Reply #296 on: Mon, 13 May 2019, 14:58:36 »
 Can't wait for this!
TMO50 | Jane V2 CE Incoming | Realforce 87u 55g | Aergo

Aergo design and build log: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=103681.msg2840918#msg2840918

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
« Reply #297 on: Mon, 13 May 2019, 18:36:47 »

No gasket mounts are squishy really, they are noticeable, but you won’t be surprised and it won’t change your life.

I own more than one gasket mount board, and I've typed on several more. There's no reason it couldn't be squishy -- that's up to the designer.

Offline Remsky

• Lubed switch count > Puddsy post count
« Reply #298 on: Mon, 13 May 2019, 23:47:58 »

I own more than one gasket mount board, and I've typed on several more. There's no reason it couldn't be squishy -- that's up to the designer.
Cutting little tiny bits of rubber over screw holes on a top mount or sandwich mount board doesn't make it a gasket mount.
TGR Jane v2 - GSKT00(coming) - TGR Jane CE V2 - TGR Poly alice - LZ Physix - Matrix 8XV 2.0 - RS - LZ FE - Dalco 959 Mini GT edition (coming) - Mc65 - Hiney TKL one - HHKB Pro 1 - 25th anniversary edition HHKB pro Hybrid - 30th anniversary Filco 2S keyboard

Offline vexl

« Reply #299 on: Mon, 13 May 2019, 23:52:00 »
this looks awesome, totally interested :D