Author Topic: Acrylic plate  (Read 1885 times)

Offline SectorOMEGA

Acrylic plate
« on: Tue, 03 April 2018, 13:09:52 »
Hello :) First excuse me for this one, I know this was covered in other teams but I got lost :D I have one 60% which Im using as a daily driver.
Its in cheap Chinese casing and aluminum plate(Its with PCB). So now Im after some new fully acrylic casing. I will desolder all and solder all back, but What thickness I can go for the top plate? I know the cherries accommodate 1.5mm at best. Any advice will be highly appreciated.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
Re: Acrylic plate
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 03 April 2018, 13:13:04 »
Cherry switches will clip in at 1.5mm +- 0.1mm. If you want thicker, you'd have to make notches so they can clip in (or don't add notches but might mis-align some).

Offline SectorOMEGA

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 03 April 2018, 13:23:53 »
I want to go with 1.5mm but was wondering if its going to be enough. There will be some sandwich plates on the surroundings but it will be a little bit larger than the Chinese casing. Will it be enough for typing and not 'sinking' when typing :)

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 03 April 2018, 13:25:35 »
Enough structurally yes, but I can't comment on the feeling.

Offline SectorOMEGA

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 03 April 2018, 13:40:46 »
Thank you very much for this. Well, I might give it a try :D Will wait for a few  more comments and if not, laser guys will be called out :)

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 04 April 2018, 01:28:59 »
If you're using a PCB the switches don't need to clip in and if you're getting a custom plate for your exact layout the switch holes will keep the switches straight (assuming you get a nice tight fit)  This means you can use a 5mm plate which covers the bottom half of the switch resulting in a different sound.

I have an all-acrylic board with a 5mm plate with 120g linear switches and it feels solid, but I've never tried a 1.5mm plate in acrylic to compare.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline SectorOMEGA

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 04 April 2018, 03:07:13 »
Excellent. But if switches dont clip in and cover the bottom part what will be the sizing of the square? Yep it will be with PCB :)