Author Topic: [IC] Custom HHKB (Topre) Case  (Read 15777 times)

Offline snevok

[IC] Custom HHKB (Topre) Case
« on: Sun, 11 September 2016, 14:04:03 »
Hello! 

I've never posted on GH so I hope I'm doing this right, but I'm pretty active over on /r/MK.  I'm a fellow keyboard lover, and my favorite board is the famous HHKB.  It looks great, feels amazing to type on, and it's got my favorite layout.  My only complaint is that it feels kinda cheap.  Even though the plastic case is made really well, I'm a sucker for metal cases.  The weight, the look, and the feel of metal cases scream quality.  It's something that just can't be matched by a plastic case.

There's been a decent amount of interest in a custom HHKB case, but nobody has chose to take on the challenge.  I was going to buy one if there was a group buy, but one never popped up, so I decided to try and make one.  I've been working on a design, and even though this isn't final, the final is most likely going to be similar to this:

You'll notice that there aren't any slider housings built in.  You will need to gut a Realforce/Type Heaven/Novatouch for their slider housings.  This WILL bring the total price you have to pay up, but it is worth it in my opinion for the convenience it brings.  My reasoning for this is: 

• Milling time would increase, therefore bringing the machining cost up.
  • It would be a lot harder to model the slider housings.
  • Ping would be greatly increased with a metal plate and metal slider housings.
  • Metal slider housings run the risk of shaving down the sliders.
  • Allows for a removable plate, which would let you easily swap for different material cases.

The plate will be made of carbon fiber.  This is to give typing a softer and quieter feel, while keeping the plate stiff and sturdy to support the PCB.  I'm not sure if the plate will be aluminum or steel, but will be powder coated to the color of your choice.  I'm estimating the cost of the case to be $200-300, but a more accurate quote will come later down the road. 

I will be prototyping with a 3d printer and CNC machine sometime later this month.  I'll update the thread as soon as something happens.

Any suggestions/feedback would be greatly appreciated, and I'll be here to answer any questions you have.  Hope you all have a good day!

Edit:  Injection molding the housings would be a lot more affordable.  I'm going to work on getting a quote to see how much it would cost to get them made.
« Last Edit: Sun, 11 September 2016, 17:44:24 by snevok »

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
Re: [IC] Custom HHKB (Topre) Case
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 11 September 2016, 14:17:35 »
There's been a decent amount of interest in a custom HHKB case, but nobody has chose to take on the challenge.
Rama has.

You'll notice that there aren't any slider housings built in.  You will need to gut a Realforce/Type Heaven/Novatouch for their slider housings.
This alone will make this too much of a pain and/or too expensive for anyone, in my opinion.

• Allows for a removable plate, which would let you easily swap for different material cases.
  • Cost of your case would go up, but I doubt it would be near the cost of a new Topre board.
  • It isn't too difficult if you do it right.
  • POM/Nylon would help.
  • Perhaps, but I doubt it would be noticeable.
  • It won't be easy when you have to unclip 60 housings, along with taking the case and PCB apart.

Offline snevok

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 11 September 2016, 15:41:09 »
There's been a decent amount of interest in a custom HHKB case, but nobody has chose to take on the challenge.
Rama has.

You'll notice that there aren't any slider housings built in.  You will need to gut a Realforce/Type Heaven/Novatouch for their slider housings.
This alone will make this too much of a pain and/or too expensive for anyone, in my opinion.

• Cost of your case would go up, but I doubt it would be near the cost of a new Topre board.
  • It isn't too difficult if you do it right.
  • POM/Nylon would help.
  • Perhaps, but I doubt it would be noticeable.
  • It won't be easy when you have to unclip 60 housings, along with taking the case and PCB apart.

Rama didn't release that to the public or start a group buy, did he?  I thought it was just a private commission.  I don't remember seeing any updates on it after he posted it. 

Yes, a single milled piece of plastic would be optimal, but I don't see how it's possible.  The housings are complicated and would take a while to cut, especially since you would have to mill it once on each side.  The stabilizers would also be impossible to mill, with their overhangs that allow for the wires to clip in. 

Taking out and putting in all of the housings would be a pain, but if someone really wanted a custom case, they'd do it.  I'm still looking for alternative methods to create the housings, but so far I don't have any ideas that would seem to work.

Offline jchan94

• Keyclack Inc
  • * Vendor
  • Please email jchan@keyclack.com. PMs are disabled
    • KeyClack
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 11 September 2016, 16:07:44 »
Sounds like you need to get this steel casted then :O
Support Email: support@keyclack.com

Did you miss something from us?

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 11 September 2016, 16:15:05 »

Taking out and putting in all of the housings would be a pain, but if someone really wanted a custom case, they'd do it.  I'm still looking for alternative methods to create the housings, but so far I don't have any ideas that would seem to work.

Try talking to a few factories that do injection molding, once the mold is done you can have them produced really easily. While you are at it you can also have them make MX compatible sliders :)

Offline snevok

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 11 September 2016, 16:18:18 »

Try talking to a few factories that do injection molding, once the mold is done you can have them produced really easily. While you are at it you can also have them make MX compatible sliders :)

I had that idea too, I'm about to start searching.  If anybody knows any companies, that would be super helpful!

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 11 September 2016, 16:41:03 »
Yes, a single milled piece of plastic would be optimal, but I don't see how it's possible.  The housings are complicated and would take a while to cut, especially since you would have to mill it once on each side.  The stabilizers would also be impossible to mill, with their overhangs that allow for the wires to clip in.

credit to keykollectiv

credit to keychatter

It looks complicated but you only need the posts with the holes in, and the two posts that the slider runs down. Just have a top piece, a plastic plate, and a bottom. I also think you're overestimating at how much machining costs.

I just don't see this being viable in your current configuration - you're looking at $600+ total, but I doubt you could get it that low as that's minimum and isn't counting shipping and whatever. That's just for a person like me, it's going to cost you easily $1500+ in prototyping etc.

And if you're looking into plastic injection, like PFU do for the HHKB, then I don't see why you can't. You seem like you're dismissing the idea of the housings because it's too difficult, but surely you should be challenging it something that's difficult.

Offline snevok

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 11 September 2016, 16:53:38 »

Show Image

credit to keykollectiv

Show Image

credit to keychatter

It looks complicated but you only need the posts with the holes in, and the two posts that the slider runs down. Just have a top piece, a plastic plate, and a bottom. I also think you're overestimating at how much machining costs.

I just don't see this being viable in your current configuration - you're looking at $600+ total, but I doubt you could get it that low as that's minimum and isn't counting shipping and whatever. That's just for a person like me, it's going to cost you easily $1500+ in prototyping etc.

And if you're looking into plastic injection, like PFU do for the HHKB, then I don't see why you can't. You seem like you're dismissing the idea of the housings because it's too difficult, but surely you should be challenging it something that's difficult.

Yeah, what I'm currently thinking is super expensive, which is why I'm trying to figure out another way.  Building the CAD file for the plate wouldn't be all that hard, and milling the normal housings would be easy, but I'm worried about the two stabilizers.  I don't know how they'd be possible since they have overhanging pieces.  You can see what I'm talking about at the top. 

So far, I'm leaning towards getting them injected molded.  Let's say I sold 50 boards.  58 normal switch housings would add up to 2900 total housings (not including the stabilizer housings), which would hopefully bring the price down since it's a ton of the same piece.  I'm going to try getting in contact with a few injection molding companies to figure out a price.

Offline jchan94

• Keyclack Inc
  • * Vendor
  • Please email jchan@keyclack.com. PMs are disabled
    • KeyClack
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 11 September 2016, 16:57:41 »

I had that idea too, I'm about to start searching.  If anybody knows any companies, that would be super helpful!

Everything in this post, I agree with.

But you also have to add that jtk/ctrl alt are making sliders.
Support Email: support@keyclack.com

Did you miss something from us?

Offline snevok

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 11 September 2016, 17:26:50 »

Everything in this post, I agree with.

But you also have to add that jtk/ctrl alt are making sliders.

Wasn't planning on making the sliders, just the housings. 

Offline rm-rf

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 12 September 2016, 00:37:27 »
i could use one of these plates myself...
i've got all the other components needed.

Offline snevok

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 12 September 2016, 10:14:50 »
Not including the housings would obviously be an option if you already have a board you're willing to sacrifice, which would end up bringing the price down a little bit. 

Offline rm-rf

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 13 September 2016, 15:48:36 »
Not including the housings would obviously be an option if you already have a board you're willing to sacrifice, which would end up bringing the price down a little bit.
well, i have been thinking about just getting a plate cut, the only thing holding me back is the dimensions.. and laziness.
and once i've got that i can build it pretty easily. i do have everything needed. minus the plate...

Offline snevok

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 13 September 2016, 17:33:35 »
well, i have been thinking about just getting a plate cut, the only thing holding me back is the dimensions.. and laziness.
and once i've got that i can build it pretty easily. i do have everything needed. minus the plate...
I might not even end up doing a group buy, but either way I'm probably going to release the cad files.  Once I get a prototype made and make sure everything is the right size, I'll go ahead and send you the files. 

Offline nemo_gh

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 21 December 2016, 01:09:14 »
is there any progress abuout GB ? will it be open source ?

Offline Mavarina

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 21 December 2016, 01:20:49 »
Seems like he won't do the GB anymore at this point?

Offline aurora

• life
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 21 December 2016, 02:50:08 »

No point since rama is doing one now.

Offline krisst

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 21 December 2016, 03:45:35 »

I don't see why TS should not continue with his version of the casing, if he is able to. Not everyone like a tramp stamp logo on their product, right? Most prefer a clear look.

As this point, I am wondering if anyone is able to custom mound the hhkb housing in real carbon fiber. Cost would be insane, but light as hell. Better portability.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 02 January 2017, 19:45:36 »

I don't see why TS should not continue with his version of the casing, if he is able to. Not everyone like a tramp stamp logo on their product, right? Most prefer a clear look.

As this point, I am wondering if anyone is able to custom mound the hhkb housing in real carbon fiber. Cost would be insane, but light as hell. Better portability.

Carbon Fiber, whoa boy that alone would cost a fortune in molds and materials (exactly like fiberglassing only more toxic).

Far cheaper to mill Titanium and present that to the HHKB community.  Even though I personally despise this keyboard with every fabric of my being I still support a metal case to be done for the desperate addicts wanting it so.

Unusual so little progress has been done thus far, considering how old this keyboard design is since it was first released.  Thought by now there will be at least a dozen different HHKB casings available but only MD did it last year and never again.

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 09 February 2017, 00:17:33 »
Anything happening with this or Rama's?

Offline KingRama

• * Maker
  • www.rama.works
    • RAMA WORKS®
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 09 February 2017, 00:26:01 »

Yeah, but it's a huge backburner project, unfortunately have other projects to focus on first  :'(

The hardest part is out of the way and that burn't me out a bit, but all the critical measurements have been done on the board in terms of positioning of switches and mounting holes etc.

So I was able to fully recreate the original HHKB:

Next stage is to create the slider tray assembly which will be milled out of plastic, which, honestly won't take that long, but I really just need the time to sit down and do it :(
Didn't notice my personal messages have been disabled for those thinking you have been blocked - to contact please reach out through Facebook messages or support email!
WEB: https://rama.works/
STORE: https://ramaworks.store/
INSTA: @ramaworks
FB: ramaworks

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 09 February 2017, 00:27:47 »

Yeah, but it's a huge backburner project, unfortunately have other projects to focus on first  :'(

The hardest part is out of the way and that burn't me out a bit, but all the critical measurements have been done on the board in terms of positioning of switches and mounting holes etc.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Next stage is to create the slider tray assembly which will be milled out of plastic, which, honestly won't take that long, but I really just need the time to sit down and do it :(

Awesome, look s great. Thanks for the update. Looking forward to this!

Offline KingRama

• * Maker
  • www.rama.works
    • RAMA WORKS®
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 09 February 2017, 00:30:52 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Cheers! No worries mate :) Me too, just wish I had more time :(
Didn't notice my personal messages have been disabled for those thinking you have been blocked - to contact please reach out through Facebook messages or support email!
WEB: https://rama.works/
STORE: https://ramaworks.store/
INSTA: @ramaworks
FB: ramaworks

Offline Ace_1

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 09 February 2017, 01:58:52 »
I'm itching for a custom metal case, so 1000x yes. I've been saving just to buy a couple but no one has proposed a GB.

Offline arninja21

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 09 February 2017, 02:15:56 »
Will wait for this.

Offline Vadurr

• Valar Morghulis
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 09 February 2017, 04:44:22 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Can't wait for this  :cool:

Offline dubious

• 쏘쿨
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 09 February 2017, 12:51:17 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

This could be the greatest thread hijacking, of all time!  :))

No but seriously, these both look great and it would be awesome to see custom hhkb cases come to market.

Offline arcsay

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 09 February 2017, 21:37:18 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Dang it RAMA I will follow you forever and ask for this case. Like I said don't make me throw a HHKB at you just to get this case.

Offline afrokobe

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 09 February 2017, 22:07:57 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

are you still doing a case for hhkb jp?  I love that layout.

Offline Korseir

« Reply #29 on: Fri, 10 February 2017, 21:43:43 »
Do one for the fc660c Mr. Rama ;)

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Preacher at the church of Thorpe
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 08 August 2017, 08:14:42 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Don't let this fall off your radar, you're the hero this forum needs ;)

Offline hayt

• * Maker
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 08 August 2017, 09:23:25 »
Colorful HHKB's would be dope.

Offline benfrain

• benfrain.com
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 05:02:14 »
Hello from the future! 😁

So, did a metal HHKB case ever get made? Anyone know of one forthcoming?

Offline ttom

• Formerly tvaro
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 05:32:00 »
Hello from the future! 😁

So, did a metal HHKB case ever get made? Anyone know of one forthcoming?

i believe norbauer is working on one
Hoarder Collector and designer

Classifieds

Offline benfrain

• benfrain.com
« Reply #34 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 06:18:32 »
Thanks! Will subscribe to his mailing list!

Offline bukowski

« Reply #35 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 07:48:32 »

TAKE. MY. MONEY!  :eek:

Offline AristideTorchia

« Reply #36 on: Wed, 25 November 2020, 13:21:55 »
Ah, so wish a variation of this could happen for HHKB Hybrid - it's the next episode in the HHKB saga.