Author Topic: Need help with a keyboard choice.  (Read 1119 times)

Offline SantiagoJordan

Need help with a keyboard choice.
« on: Fri, 07 February 2020, 11:50:14 »
I currently have Zowie Celeritas, and I like this keyboard for the most part. The only problem with it I currently ran into is the lack of RGB which I find annoying since recently my gf moved in and sometimes she goes to sleep earlier than me in the same room with my PC so I turn the light off and can't see the keys. I'm not that great at blind typing either.
https://sarkariresult.onl/ Mobdro https://pnrstatus.vip/
So I'm looking for a replacement that would be a lot similar. I know Zowie Celeritas 2 exists but it's a little bit overpriced at where I live so I'd like to find a similar keyboard with the same options.

I really liked the option to lock Windows key as CTRL and I would wish for something similar to be there as an option

keycaps lightning (mostly don't care for the colour, something mild that would just be enough to see the keys would be great)

Now that I think about it I don't really need a numpad but wouldn't hurt either

Cherry MX black switches

Cyrillic keycaps are something I need too.

I will mostly use it for gaming

If you guys happen to know a similar keyboard I'd be happy to know. Thanks.
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 February 2020, 08:57:29 by SantiagoJordan »

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
Re: Need help with a keyboard choice.
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 07 February 2020, 12:18:06 »
I currently have Zowie Celeritas, and I like this keyboard for the most part. The only problem with it I currently ran into is the lack of RGB which I find annoying since recently my gf moved in and sometimes she goes to sleep earlier than me in the same room with my PC so I turn the light off and can't see the keys. I'm not that great at blind typing either.

So I'm looking for a replacement that would be a lot similar. I know Zowie Celeritas 2 exists but it's a little bit overpriced at where I live so I'd like to find a similar keyboard with the same options.

I really liked the option to lock Windows key as CTRL and I would wish for something similar to be there as an option

keycaps lightning (mostly don't care for the colour, something mild that would just be enough to see the keys would be great)

Cherry MX black switches

Vintage blacks are prefered by typists , however i think your best option for a silent linear would be silent blacks or reds

Offline Maledicted

Re: Need help with a keyboard choice.
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 08 February 2020, 21:52:27 »

Cherry MX black switches

Short of Cyrillic caps, you could find one of the TG3 BL82 variant keyboards for dirt cheap on Ebay. They're possibly built better than tanks, they have no Windows keys at all, they have Cherry MX black switches, and people often complain about how dim the backlighting is. I think that even on lower settings, it is certainly bright enough to see.

One modification you might want to make right away is to remove the protective saran wrap from between the plate and the caps. It feels/sounds weird. On my "cop keyboard" variant, the one with the trackpad, it comes with more of a silicone mat with rubber domes built in. I cut the domes off of mine so that I still get fairly good water/dust resistance coupled with Kailh box switches, without it feeling weird. Some people love those mats though, and I think you could swap one into a BL82 as well.

I assume that your Zowie has Cyrillic legends? Do the switches have mx-compatible stems? You could swap all of the alphanumeric caps to a BL82, one of the downsides of those boards though is that, being a weird 75% form factor (which I actually love otherwise), many of the other caps are of a non-standard size.
« Last Edit: Sat, 08 February 2020, 21:56:54 by Maledicted »