Author Topic: Adding an LED to my Das  (Read 15642 times)

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
Adding an LED to my Das
« on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 08:40:05 »
The purpose of this thread is to document and photograph the process I am going to go through to add an LED to to my Das Keyboard which as most of you may know does not support key switch LEDs.

First off the basics.

Measured the thickness of the leads on a brand new LED.

Positive leg measured out to .0205 and negative leg measured out to .0211.  All measurements are decimal inches as I do not own a metric micrometer.  Micrometer used is a L.S. Starrett No. 230 with .001 direct read and .0001 as a veneer scale on the thimble. 

Borrowed a pencil type hand drill from a co-worker with a small assortment of small drill bits.  Bit sizes range from 0.213 down to 0.02244.  The largest bit that fit through the holes in the switch measured to 0.1019 and the smallest that did not fit measured up to 0.1059.  Now the for the LED holes in my Phantom (not done building) the largest that fit measured to 0.1107 and the smallest that does not fit measures to 0.1127.

Now time to disconnect my Das and get the PCB out of the case and start drilling.  Pics will follow.

Melvang

Edit:  This is going to be rough typing the rest of this on rubber domes.
Edit 2:  Corrected the smallest bit that does not fit in LED hole on Phantom
« Last Edit: Mon, 06 May 2013, 14:44:16 by Melvang »
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
Re: Adding an LED to my Das
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 11:46:21 »
Just got back from The Shack and realized that I forgot to get the female plug that is going to get mounted to the keyboard itself.  Going to use RCA plugs for the cable from the pc to the keyboard.

Melvang
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 14:01:34 »
Well got the all the soldering done that can be done without taking my Das apart.  Here is some images for you guys.

Image 1 is the connections i chose to use.
Image 2 is the stuff that I bought today.  The drill bit is a 15/64.  It seemed to be a 1/4" thread so I went the next size up.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 14:04:11 »
Images of the pencil drill and all the other tools!

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 14:12:34 »
Will do as soon as i get my keyboard popped apart and what not.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 14:42:26 »
Das Breach successful.  Only broke one tab

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 14:56:16 »
Only broke one tab
You're a better man than me.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 15:22:23 »
So far so good just did a small test run and the mobo HDD activity LED puts out about 3.5 volts or so and the LED is listed at 3.2 so i should be ok there.  Now just need to break the traces the rest of the way that I drilled through and solder a jumper across and solder my LED in.  And drill the hole for the connector

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 15:23:10 »
I hope you're taking pictures of all of this, bro.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 15:33:39 »
I hope you're taking pictures of all of this, bro.

Of course I am

I get the feeling that this type of mod doesn't happen to often around here.

Melvang

Offline Mugen

• O-Rings are the murderers of keyboard souls
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 15:48:37 »
Looks good, any specific location you are trying to add the LEDs?
Let me know if you need any help or have any question, i finished my mod yesterday, added LEDs to the F5-F8 and Esc switches, i think it turned out pretty good:

21241-0
21243-1
21245-2

Didnt use any of those cables youre showing though, just some simple coated electric wire, a few resistors LEDs and good old soldering.
Cheers.
« Last Edit: Mon, 06 May 2013, 15:50:35 by Mugen »

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 16:36:00 »
Looks good, any specific location you are trying to add the LEDs?

I am re-routing my HDD activity LED to my ESC key with the skull keycap posted earlier.  Hence for all the cabling.  Not really any more questions as I am in the final test/assembly stage.

I don't know who is more nervous with anticipation, you guys or me.

Melvang

PS don't worry I will have a wall of photos.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 17:03:11 »
I am re-routing my HDD activity LED to my ESC key
Awesome idea!
Too bad I have systems to contend with.
I made a small box on my desk to house the power and hdd LED's, power switches, USB and Sata ports.

When I first saw you were trying to add lights, I thought maybe you were just adding backlights, in which case EL wire would probably have been easier. Considered doing that to my Filco.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 17:06:49 »
Oooo sexy. I like the build log man!! I really like how you're really following through on the stuff you're asking about in the Questions thread. Keep it up :D

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 17:10:24 »
Well I got good news and bad news. 

Good news

All the keys still work and the LED flashes with the HD activity.  Man I don't think I can go that long without MX switches again.  Posted all the previous posts with a spare rubber dome board.

Bad news

I don't have time to post pics.  Have to go pick up my son and daughter from school/daycare.

Melvang

Offline gnubag

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 17:33:59 »
Well I got good news and bad news. 

Good news

All the keys still work and the LED flashes with the HD activity.  Man I don't think I can go that long without MX switches again.  Posted all the previous posts with a spare rubber dome board.

Bad news

I don't have time to post pics.  Have to go pick up my son and daughter from school/daycare.

Melvang
well that is why I have more than one board working at anytime :)

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 18:03:00 »
Yeah just have the one mechanical keyboard because I haven't finished my Phantom yet

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 23:15:25 »
@Melvang and Mugen - I love seeing creative mods like this. There needs to be more hacking like this, and less buying here on geekhack.

Mugen, what are the LEDs at the F5 - F8 correspond to?

Offline Mugen

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 00:02:37 »
@Melvang and Mugen - I love seeing creative mods like this. There needs to be more hacking like this, and less buying here on geekhack.

Mugen, what are the LEDs at the F5 - F8 correspond to?

Well i played around with it quite a lot, routed them to different options like the Fn+key combination, at some point I had them lit up when all 3 original board LEDs were activated buy it looked a bit like a Christmas tree >_<
At the end i decided that i want both the cluster and Esc key to be permanently lit (that and the lack of a better, more useful option) and there's a switch drilled (indented) in the back of the board to turn them off, similar to this one https://www.sparkfun.com/products/97
If you have any recommendations im always looking to try some new stuff.

Melvang - looking forward to those pics! this sounds really cool!

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 15:23:22 »
taking PC down right now to do final install on the PC side wiring will take a vid of the flashing HDD LED under my esc keycap and post to ewwtube if i can figure that one out.  Would be my first post to that site.

Melvang

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 00:32:03 »
Hey guys large post incoming I am going to apologize in advance for the out of focus pics as they were taken with my phone.  I didn't see the need to haul my wifes Canon 7d downstairs for this.  Sorry for the delay in getting this updated but had some RL stuffs to take care of.

Melvang

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 01:04:07 »
Alright guys here is the big post all of you have been waiting for.

21449-0
My Starrett micrometer

21451-1
the precision drill I borrowed from a co-worker.  He uses it at work to clean oxy-acetlene torch tips

Some of the tools used.  Not going to post a pic of the soldering equipment just a standard Weller unit from Sears.  Pretty standard stuff there
« Last Edit: Wed, 08 May 2013, 01:08:25 by Melvang »

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 01:12:25 »
21455-0
Holes drilled with said drill bit.  I believe the bit used was 0.1107 inches

21457-1
LED leads from the back side.  And as you can see it the one lead went right through the one trace and very close to the other trace.  Time to break them and re-route.
« Last Edit: Wed, 08 May 2013, 01:16:45 by Melvang »

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 01:20:54 »
21459-0
Here you can kind of see that i broke the traces and re-routed the trace by simply installing a jumper from one connection to the next.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 01:37:03 »
21461-0
Here is the hole I drilled in the case.  I missed the mark a touch and had to slot the hole a touch.  Had the hole to close to the bottom of the case and couldn't get the nut to thread on.  Turned out fine though with the slight flange on the bottom of the jack it covered the entire slot.

21463-1
Shot of the RCA jack that I used here.  had to be soldered in place cause I didn't think the whole process through and already had the wire soldered to the board.  That was a MAJOR PITA.

21465-2
Here you can see both ends of the wire i soldered in. 

If anyone was wondering for wire i used 24ga single strand speaker wire

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 01:38:49 »
21467-0
Here it is back together and plugged in.  Actually managed to catch a flash of the LED. 

Video to follow in the next post after i get it on ewwtube.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 02:22:52 »
And here is the ewwtube video

« Last Edit: Wed, 08 May 2013, 02:25:28 by Melvang »

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 10:10:40 »
Looks good! It's a shame the light is hard to see with the cap right side up. I'm sure it's easier to see in a lower light scenario. Good job, Melvang.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 13:30:38 »
Thanks moose.  The next project for this will be to rotate the switch 180.  Going to take WFD's advice that he posted on the ewwtube page of just rotating and then bending the prongs out.  Then run the wires from the pins to the trace through the old holes

Offline Mugen

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 13:30:59 »
What LED do you have there? are you getting your power from the USB 5v or from the cable? if from the cable whats the voltage and current?

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 14:26:38 »
What LED do you have there? are you getting your power from the USB 5v or from the cable? if from the cable whats the voltage and current?

The power for the LED is coming from the mobo headers for the HDD activity LED pins.  The LED's are the same as the ones I used in my Orbweaver.  3mm blue round top 3.2volt 2000mcd

Offline turtle

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 15:04:00 »
what kind of wire did you use to give the led power? I bought some "hook up wire" the flexible kind from radio shack.. wondering if it was the same as the one you guys used. thanks

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 15:16:22 »
what kind of wire did you use to give the led power? I bought some "hook up wire" the flexible kind from radio shack.. wondering if it was the same as the one you guys used. thanks

I have some of that but for this project I used 24ga single strand speaker wire

Offline turtle

« Reply #33 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 17:28:07 »
Hook up wire should work? I haven't tried it yet. Probaly will do the mod on the poker when the acrylic case comes in

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 17:44:38 »
I would think that it would work I just used speaker wire so I had both strands attached.  Plus I wanted the smaller wire gauge.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #35 on: Fri, 10 May 2013, 02:09:49 »
More pictures to follow after I rotate the switch 180 degrees.  Going to take the advice from whitefiredragon that he posted on the actual YouTube clip.

Offline Mugen

« Reply #36 on: Fri, 10 May 2013, 08:20:32 »

The power for the LED is coming from the mobo headers for the HDD activity LED pins.  The LED's are the same as the ones I used in my Orbweaver.  3mm blue round top 3.2volt 2000mcd

What type of LEDs? diffused or clear?

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #37 on: Fri, 10 May 2013, 08:35:08 »
754-1596-ND   Part number from Digi Key

Offline kinruan

• SWAG=Specially Weaponized Asian Grandma
« Reply #38 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 19:42:43 »
this is what i am doing to my keycool just for testing. it works well, LEDs have power from USB and i add on some diodes to lower the voltage. U can also try using a drill to make these holes on the PCB for bottom of switches bigger, so that u can have stitches going though the PCB with switches and make up wires under PCB.
If the world ends tomorrow, what should we have for dinner tonight?

Offline TheFlyingRaccoon

• HHKB Pro
  • * Maker
  • Cable maker and future engineer
« Reply #39 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 22:06:36 »
this is what i am doing to my keycool just for testing. it works well, LEDs have power from USB and i add on some diodes to lower the voltage. U can also try using a drill to make these holes on the PCB for bottom of switches bigger, so that u can have stitches going though the PCB with switches and make up wires under PCB.

Wow this is awesome. Can you post a picture of the complete wiring and list the leds and resistors you used? I am interested in trying to recreate this for my keyboard.
HHKB Pro 2   SmallFry Keyboard

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #40 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 22:24:33 »

Is that between the PCB and plate?  I was thinking of trying something like that with my GH60, but don't know how viable it is.

Offline The_Ed

• Asperger's... SQUIRREL! I'm Anal Retentive *****!
« Reply #41 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 22:42:28 »
That is most definitely between the PCB and plate. It hides the wires because of that too. The only downside I can think of is that the LEDs aren't held snugly in place.
Reaper "frelled" me... Twice... Did he "frell" you too?... *brohug*
I'm camping for a week, and moving twice in a month. I'll get back to you when I can (If I don't then just send me another PM).
R.I.P.ster

Offline kinruan

« Reply #42 on: Thu, 23 May 2013, 11:24:08 »

yes it is, which is super tough, I recommend u drilling holes on PCB and every led is in parallel connection. Power is from USB which is 5v higher than led needs
Is that between the PCB and plate?  I was thinking of trying something like that with my GH60, but don't know how viable it is.
« Last Edit: Thu, 23 May 2013, 11:33:11 by kinruan »

Offline kinruan

« Reply #43 on: Thu, 23 May 2013, 11:31:42 »
Wow this is awesome. Can you post a picture of the complete wiring and list the leds and resistors you used? I am interested in trying to recreate this for my keyboard.
Sry those are all I have, see the third one, it is like that way parallelly connecting every led.  But I don't recommend this way since it destoried the feeling of typing. U would better drill holes on PCB and make some jump between broken wires,

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #44 on: Tue, 04 June 2013, 09:26:56 »
Updated video is currently uploading to youtube right now.  Will post a link as soon as it finishes loading.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #45 on: Tue, 04 June 2013, 10:24:02 »

And here is the ewwtube video