Author Topic: Bought a Filco  (Read 11829 times)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Bought a Filco
« on: Mon, 04 February 2008, 20:16:09 »

Offline victheslik

Bought a Filco
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 05 February 2008, 02:32:11 »
-
« Last Edit: Sun, 26 November 2023, 22:04:14 by victheslik »
"The only antidote to mental suffering is physical pain. " Karl Marx
A wiseman once said, "If Bible proves the existence of God, then comic books prove the existence of Superheros."

Offline karlito

• http://altitudegame.com
Bought a Filco
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 05 February 2008, 16:09:11 »
i look forward to you telling us what kind of switches it has.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Bought a Filco
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 05 February 2008, 22:42:28 »
Quote from: karlito;2790
i look forward to you telling us what kind of switches it has.

It should have browns, but with my luck it's a membrane with cushioned and rubberized backplate and the color was changed to hot pink with a 122 key layout. It's been a chitty week.

Offline fkeidjn

Bought a Filco
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 05 February 2008, 23:19:16 »
Quote from: xsphat;2792
It should have browns, but with my luck it's a membrane with cushioned and rubberized backplate and the color was changed to hot pink with a 122 key layout. It's been a chitty week.

Lol

But I think it's more likely to have either blues or whites, considering the price.
Kinesis Keypad - Filco FKBN104M/EB - Unitek space-saver - Acer 6511-TW - Apple Extended II (M3501) - Scorpius M10 - Cherry G80-1800, AT - SGI Granite - vintage Fujitsu - IBM Model M, 101 and mini - Model F, 84-key AT - Dell AT101W - Northgate 101

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Bought a Filco
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 05 February 2008, 23:26:20 »
Are the white the blues without the click?

Offline fkeidjn

Bought a Filco
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 05 February 2008, 23:27:42 »
I think so.
Kinesis Keypad - Filco FKBN104M/EB - Unitek space-saver - Acer 6511-TW - Apple Extended II (M3501) - Scorpius M10 - Cherry G80-1800, AT - SGI Granite - vintage Fujitsu - IBM Model M, 101 and mini - Model F, 84-key AT - Dell AT101W - Northgate 101

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Bought a Filco
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 05 February 2008, 23:35:19 »
My buddy mr_sf_applet said the ones with red LEDs have black switches, blue LEDs mean brown switches and the red LEDs have the the blue switches. And anyway I'm hoping, and if the switches suck I'll sell it either here or on eBay for slightly less than I got it for and buy a different one.

EDIT: Check this out (looks like it has brown Cherrys, pic at the bottom):

http://www.servpia.net/index.php?pl=26

Offline karlito

Bought a Filco
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 06 February 2008, 22:36:08 »
i think it will have a random selection of switch types, that way each key has it's own unique feel... lol

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Bought a Filco
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 06 February 2008, 23:03:13 »
Actually, it's made of chocolate and has no damn switches!

Offline fkeidjn

Bought a Filco
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 07 February 2008, 00:02:31 »
made by the oompa loompas in willy wonka's chocolate factory, lol, I can just imagine taking that first bite...

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Bought a Filco
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 11 February 2008, 02:04:29 »
My order with BeNippon is still "processing." I really want this thing, I hope I get it this week.

Offline sashomasho

Bought a Filco
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 11 February 2008, 05:29:26 »
Quote from: xsphat;2921
My order with BeNippon is still "processing." I really want this thing, I hope I get it this week.

Mine in http://www.crescent-shop.com/ for the HHKB Pro is still processing too. Does anyone has an idea how long it takes for these shops to receive and ship a product to the client?

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
Bought a Filco
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 11 February 2008, 07:14:30 »
Quote from: sashomasho;2924
Mine in http://www.crescent-shop.com/ for the HHKB Pro is still processing too. Does anyone has an idea how long it takes for these shops to receive and ship a product to the client?

GeekStuff4U
 - Item Ordered = Hard Case for Happy Hacking Keyboard
 - Order Date = 21 Dec 2007
 - Date Received = 2 Jan 2008

beNippon
 - Item Ordered = Happy Hacking Keyboard Professional 2 - No Symbols, Black
 - Order Date = 14 Dec 2007
 - Date Received = 14 Jan 2008

Offline sashomasho

Bought a Filco
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 11 February 2008, 08:07:15 »
One month from Japan? Hmm, this makes yet another 24+ days for my HHKB Pro, this will be painful and long month :)

Offline fkeidjn

Bought a Filco
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 11 February 2008, 17:10:10 »
It does depends on the method of shipping too.

Offline zillidot

Bought a Filco
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 11 February 2008, 19:26:45 »
Quote from: sashomasho;2924
Does anyone has an idea how long it takes for these shops to receive and ship a product to the client?

I bought a Filco through Crescent Shop in December last year. Ordered on 10th December, got shipping payment request on the 14th, which I paid immediately, and package shipped out via EMS on the 15th. It was in my hands on 20th December. :)

If you log in to their website, on the Order Shipment Status page (click on the Detail button) you can see whether they have received the item. From the time they received my Filco, it took them a couple of days to pack and ship it.
My keyboards:
Realforce 87U (all 55g)
HHKB Pro 2 (black on black)
Filco Majestouch (n-key rollover, brown cherries)
Unicomp Customizer 101 (black with black keys)

Offline sashomasho

Bought a Filco
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 12 February 2008, 02:26:24 »
Quote from: zillidot;2938
I bought a Filco through Crescent Shop in December last year. Ordered on 10th December, got shipping payment request on the 14th, which I paid immediately, and package shipped out via EMS on the 15th. It was in my hands on 20th December. :)

If you log in to their website, on the Order Shipment Status page (click on the Detail button) you can see whether they have received the item. From the time they received my Filco, it took them a couple of days to pack and ship it.

I don't hope to get in my sweating hands for the next 10 days, but I still I feel much better today when I saw on their status page one big label 'ARRIVED'. So everything goes as you described it, nothing to bother :) Thank you.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Bought a Filco
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 12 February 2008, 10:24:13 »
BeNippon just sent me an email taht said my keyboard weighs more than they thought, so they hit me up for an extra $15 for shipping! I paid it, but this thing better ship soon. I hate waiting.

Offline zerogravitas

Bought a Filco
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 12 February 2008, 13:35:32 »
I've been looking into getting one of these myself.  My source says that the 104 key N-Key-Rollover english version does not appear available at the moment, so I was toying with getting the one you ordered.  I am keen to hear your impressions of it, especially how it does on the rollover test. Alternatively, I'm also toying with getting the HHKBpro2 instead, so I am eager to see how they compare. :)

*waits with bated breath* :D

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Bought a Filco
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 12 February 2008, 14:39:27 »
I am a Mac user (no PS/2 connection, ever), so the test most likely won't get results larger than 6 keys. I think this one does have the brown Cherry switches, but time will tell. I am guessing they have the keyboard and are just waiting on my extra payment for them to ship it, so I payed the $15 immediately in hopes of getting this keyboard this week yet.

Offline zerogravitas

Bought a Filco
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 12 February 2008, 15:31:51 »
Well, I could live with 6 keys. :)

Quote from: xsphat;2955
I think this one does have the brown Cherry switches, but time will tell.

If my decoding of the model number (FKB104M/EB) is correct, it is.  I think the M portion refers to brown switches; ML would be the linear black switches.  Plus there is the LED thing you mentioned earlier.  At least this is what I have gathered from perusing http://www.diatec.co.jp/en/list.php?cate_c=1&subcate_sq=1 .

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Bought a Filco
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 13 February 2008, 07:27:18 »
My Filco shipped today!

The email from BeNippon said I should have it in 4-6 days. I can't wait.

Offline sashomasho

Bought a Filco
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 14 February 2008, 08:27:52 »
Today my HHKB Pro 2 was shipped too, it took them one week to buy it, receive it and ship it to me. Not too bad IMHO. Now I'll have to pray that for $37 my keyboard will make it to the darkest part of Europe for another week. Who will be happily hacking the next weekend? I really hope that this will be me :)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Bought a Filco
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 16 February 2008, 11:09:54 »
Guess what I got today ...

I'll give you a hint:

Genuine Cherry brown switches.

The keys have some sort of nonslip rubberized coating on them.

And finally, the label on the back. This pic is blurry, but I really don't think it matters.

If you want to see bigger pics, here is my Flickr page:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/xsphat/

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Bought a Filco
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 16 February 2008, 11:13:04 »
This makes my day, which was going really ****ty up to this point. The brown switches are really light, not too loud or anything, and they do remind me of the HHKB's capacitive switches. The keyboard is pretty heavy and also really pretty by itself. Give me a couple days with it and I'll post some thoughts, but the first impression I got off this 'board is very good ...

Offline Nonmouse

Bought a Filco
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 16 February 2008, 20:39:10 »
Quote from: xsphat;2995
This makes my day, which was going really ****ty up to this point. The brown switches are really light, not too loud or anything, and they do remind me of the HHKB's capacitive switches. The keyboard is pretty heavy and also really pretty by itself. Give me a couple days with it and I'll post some thoughts, but the first impression I got off this 'board is very good ...

Yeah, I really like my MX-8100(s) (I actually have 2 of 'em- one slightly more worn than the other, with sloppier keys) with Cherry brown switches.  The keys are really nice and light, with just enough feedback to keep from smacking the caps down each time.  My (craptacular) typing is improving and getting much faster than on cheap keyboards, or even my Wang with white Alps switches.

Offline karlito

Bought a Filco
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 17 February 2008, 01:41:31 »
damn im jealous

what did it set you back in total? $150?

Offline karlito

Bought a Filco
« Reply #28 on: Sun, 17 February 2008, 01:53:37 »
dude?

i expected to see a keyboard not big trouble in little china

I think you should put the hat on the cute lil baby

Offline iMav

Bought a Filco
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 17 February 2008, 09:15:05 »
That keyboard looks pretty slick.  I think it is the font used on the lettering...looks good on the black.  

Are the browns significantly lighter than the blues?  I love the blues and feel they are pretty light in their own right.  Not sure if I'd want an even lighter touch.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Bought a Filco
« Reply #30 on: Sun, 17 February 2008, 11:09:38 »
Karlito, nice catch on the Big Trouble in Little China thing, I put that pic on Flickr so I could use it as my desktop at work. And the baby, little Evan, is the cutest thing I've ever seen, so you're just going to have to deal with seeing him on my page. There are over 100 keyboard pics on there as well, so feel free to enjoy those.

All said and done, the keyboard cost me around $165 American. They hit me up for an extra $15 because they said the keyboard weighs more than they thought. To be fair, I am impressed by how much it weighs, good solid construction is the rule with the Filco.

And the keyboard is worth every penny.

iMav, I can't comment on the blues (yet) but the browns are light touch, lighter than the HHKB Pro 2, but it's not too light. I do like the font on the keys as well, and I don't mind the number pad because the keyboard is no where near the size of the M. In fact, I started using the number pad.

All I know is this keyboard is the cat's ass of keyboards. I'm in love with it. I'll hook you guys up with some more pics soon, anything you guys want to see in particular? Mind you, I am NOT going to take it apart.

Bought a Filco
« Reply #31 on: Sun, 17 February 2008, 16:34:58 »
How much sound does it make?

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Bought a Filco
« Reply #32 on: Sun, 17 February 2008, 17:07:31 »
Not much. I don't bottom out as much, surprisingly. It's the quietest one I have, more so than the HHKB Pro 2. I don't mind though, I like it.

Offline Nonmouse

Bought a Filco
« Reply #33 on: Sun, 17 February 2008, 17:23:35 »
Quote from: iMav;3017
That keyboard looks pretty slick.  I think it is the font used on the lettering...looks good on the black.  

Are the browns significantly lighter than the blues?  I love the blues and feel they are pretty light in their own right.  Not sure if I'd want an even lighter touch.

From what I can tell, the blues are actually the lightest MX switches- 1.8 oz, 2.1oz at actuation, compared to 2.1oz through the whole travel for blacks and browns, and 2.1oz, 2.3oz at actuation for whites.  

I really need to scrape up a k/b with blue sliders to compare side-by-side with the browns...

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Bought a Filco
« Reply #34 on: Sun, 17 February 2008, 17:34:42 »
I read that too, but the browns feel lighter throughout than the blacks.

Offline Nonmouse

Bought a Filco
« Reply #35 on: Sun, 17 February 2008, 17:40:26 »
Quote from: xsphat;3045
I read that too, but the browns feel lighter throughout than the blacks.

Well, they're all ±0.5oz, so a particular batch can be heavier or lighter on any of them...

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Bought a Filco
« Reply #36 on: Sun, 17 February 2008, 17:45:26 »
True. Plus, I am biased by my hate of the blacks.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Bought a Filco
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 20 February 2008, 01:48:24 »
I've been on nothing but the Filco for 4 days and tonight I took the HHKB Pro 2 to work. Surprisingly, the capacitive switches and the brown stemmed Cherry's are so close there was no real feeling of disorientation (with the exception of the sudden impact of the Sun type 5 layout). The HHKB slides feel a little bit rougher than the browns, but that's about it. I'm really impressed with these Cherry browns.

Offline iMav

Bought a Filco
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 20 February 2008, 06:33:05 »
Quote from: xsphat;3136
I've been on nothing but the Filco for 4 days and tonight I took the HHKB Pro 2 to work. Surprisingly, the capacitive switches and the brown stemmed Cherry's are so close there was no real feeling of disorientation (with the exception of the sudden impact of the Sun type 5 layout). The HHKB slides feel a little bit rougher than the browns, but that's about it. I'm really impressed with these Cherry browns.

So, there is no positive "click" with the browns??  If the fairly linear spring resistance of the HHKB Pro is "rougher" than the Cherry browns, I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around what the brown switches must be like.

Offline Nonmouse

Bought a Filco
« Reply #39 on: Wed, 20 February 2008, 13:02:27 »
Quote from: iMav;3137
So, there is no positive "click" with the browns??  If the fairly linear spring resistance of the HHKB Pro is "rougher" than the Cherry browns, I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around what the brown switches must be like.

Yeah, it's very subtle- not particularly audible (the clickiness is mostly from the caps bottoming out or rebounding).  There's just a slight 'blip' in the feel of the travel when they actuate.  It's enough feedback that you know when the switch kicks, but not obtrusive.  I'm not sure how to describe it better than that.  Like Xsphat, though, I really like typing on them- very smooth, almost relaxing.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Bought a Filco
« Reply #40 on: Wed, 20 February 2008, 23:46:15 »
I agree, it's just hard to really describe key feel. I like the browns better than the capacitive switches, but they are in the same league. On the HHKB, when I press a key, it feels a little rough. On the browns, there is no feeling of anything resisting me. They feel cleaner.

Did that clear anything up?

Offline nrp

Bought a Filco
« Reply #41 on: Sat, 22 March 2008, 19:45:06 »
Where did you go to buy it?

Offline zerogravitas

Bought a Filco
« Reply #42 on: Mon, 31 March 2008, 18:46:49 »
I finally got mine today. It's quite nice. :)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Bought a Filco
« Reply #43 on: Mon, 31 March 2008, 20:49:42 »
Congrats! Did you get the one I have?

Offline zerogravitas

Bought a Filco
« Reply #44 on: Mon, 31 March 2008, 22:05:26 »
Very nearly.  I held out for the FKBN104M/EB N-key rollover version of the keyboard you have.   They finally got it in back into stock a week or two ago. The brown Cherries are very pleasing. :)

Are your blue LED's  blinding as well?  That's my only beef with it so far.  Thankfully they are recessed, so It's not a problem unless I hold my head directly over the light.  They do light up my ceiling though when the room is dark though.  lol

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Bought a Filco
« Reply #45 on: Mon, 31 March 2008, 23:50:59 »
Yeah, but in Mac I only see them during start up.

Offline zillidot

Bought a Filco
« Reply #46 on: Tue, 01 April 2008, 03:20:16 »
Quote from: zerogravitas;3835
Are your blue LED's  blinding as well?  That's my only beef with it so far.  Thankfully they are recessed, so It's not a problem unless I hold my head directly over the light.  They do light up my ceiling though when the room is dark though.  lol

Mine is like that as well! Plus I have my keyboard plugged into a KVM, which keeps the keyboard powered even when the computers are switched off...

I have to remember to turn off num lock before I power down the computer. Or switch the KVM to the Mac.
My keyboards:
Realforce 87U (all 55g)
HHKB Pro 2 (black on black)
Filco Majestouch (n-key rollover, brown cherries)
Unicomp Customizer 101 (black with black keys)

Offline sashomasho

Bought a Filco
« Reply #47 on: Tue, 01 April 2008, 05:50:38 »
Very nearly.  I held out for the FKBN104M/EB N-key rollover version of the keyboard you have.   They finally got it in back into stock a week or two ago. The brown Cherries are very pleasing. :)

Where did you buy yours from? I searched through a lot of sites, asked benippon and crescent-shop, but they both said that it's impossible to find.
The guy from crescent-shop contacted http://www.rakuten.co.jp (they had it their list) which told him that they don't have it in stock, so I finally decided that as a no-gamer I will not miss the nkey-rollover and ordered the FKB one. And if I liked it a lot, I can always buy a second one, this time with the nkey.

Offline zerogravitas

Bought a Filco
« Reply #48 on: Tue, 01 April 2008, 09:21:10 »
I had tried a few services like beNippon, and as you found most were unable to get that model.  One site said the could, but their price was rather high.

However, the English versions of Diatec's  product pages says "if you call us, we guide you to buy our products with pleasure," so after I gave up on those services I called them up. Eventually I got a hold of someone who was able to help me. It turns out Diatec will ship whatever you want directly if you wire them the money! Unfortunately, they don't won't take Paypal or anything, and there was a wire fee, so the final cost was comparable to what xsphat paid for his.  It might be possible to get a better deal on the wire fee than what I got.

Anyway, Diatec shipped it via EMS as soon as they got the money, and I had it within 4 business days.  If you want to go that route, just send an email to shop AT diatec DOT co DOT jp, and Shikano can help you out.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Bought a Filco
« Reply #49 on: Tue, 01 April 2008, 10:01:58 »
Nice, thank you for telling us about this. I have been wanting to pick up a few Filco branded niceties and there is no way in the world to get them (until now) without going to Japan.

Do you use the molded hard plastic they put over the keyboard in original box as a keyboard protector? Just wondering.

Offline IBI

Bought a Filco
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 01 April 2008, 16:27:08 »

My Raptor-Gaming K1 has exactly the same thing. I thought about putting some tape on the underside of the led windows but they're recessed inside cylinders.
Owned: Raptor-Gaming K1 (linear MX)(Broken), IBM Model M UK, Dell AT102W, Left-handed keyboard with Type 1 Simplified Alps.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Bought a Filco
« Reply #51 on: Tue, 01 April 2008, 21:39:31 »
What kind of switches does your Raptor have?

Offline IBI

Bought a Filco
« Reply #52 on: Wed, 02 April 2008, 07:30:49 »
Black cherries, I'll post some pictures when I get time in a few days.
Owned: Raptor-Gaming K1 (linear MX)(Broken), IBM Model M UK, Dell AT102W, Left-handed keyboard with Type 1 Simplified Alps.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Bought a Filco
« Reply #53 on: Wed, 02 April 2008, 09:18:19 »
Do you like them? I like them a lot more now after I've had some time on the browns.

Offline IBI

Bought a Filco
« Reply #54 on: Wed, 02 April 2008, 14:29:34 »
They feel like top-quality rubber dome switches. Not as nice as a proper tactile but they wouldn't annoy you to type on them for several hours.

It has made me realise how important keycaps are to the keyboard though. When I originally got it on friday I didn't like it and after the weekend using it I was considering whether to return it on monday. I have a gateway with what look like the same keycaps so while I had it I thought I'd see if they fit onto cherry switches. They did, and trying the replaced key it felt slightly better so I swapped over all the alpha keys and it has made the keyboard noticably nicer to type on.

The keycaps from the two keyboards are actually very similar, one is white and the other is black so it's hard to know which perceived differences are real but there's not much between them to look at. The gateway has a slightly less hollow sound, slightly rougher surface, slightly more curve and may be slightly wider.

It'll be interesting to hear if anyone's got a non-filco with brown cherries and how they rate it. Although these black cherries are great for everyday I may have to give into weakness and get a complete AT102W or a brown cherry board for heavy typing. (Filco and HHKB are not in it for me unfortunatly, neither has a UK layout availible).