Author Topic: Sun-type key layout  (Read 2830 times)

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
Sun-type key layout
« on: Thu, 07 February 2008, 16:02:48 »
Just curious if anyone is aware of any keyboards other than the HHKB's that have the Sun-type key layout (or a close approximation).  ESC directly to the left of the "1" key, BS/Delete directly above the Enter key, etc.  

Options with decent keyswitches are certainly preferable.

(I'm actually hoping that Unicomp will consider this key layout as an offering for their Mighty Mouse replacement...but I am not holding my breath)

Offline secularzarathustra

Sun-type key layout
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 15 February 2008, 17:06:51 »
Correct me if I am wrong; however, the Sun Type 7, which is available in Unix and PC layout, may be what you are looking for. They are usb connecting keyboards that work on PCs, just make sure that you get the Unix layout :)

Also, you will have to either map the additional keys, not the ones you mentioned, but the ones on the left, in either your x-server, console, or however windows does it.
Dark and the Desert and Destriers me ken,
And the Glaive and the Joust, and Paper and Pen.

Offline iMav

Sun-type key layout
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 15 February 2008, 19:13:22 »
Quote from: secularzarathustra;2988
Correct me if I am wrong; however, the Sun Type 7, which is available in Unix and PC layout, may be what you are looking for. They are usb connecting keyboards that work on PCs, just make sure that you get the Unix layout :)

I actually have a couple of those.  They don't meet the "quality keyswitch" criteria.  ;)

(plus, I'd rather have a spacesaving, non-keypad keyboard)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Sun-type key layout
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 15 February 2008, 22:36:27 »
What kind of keyswitches do the Sun type 5 keyboards have? What kind of connectors?

Offline iMav

Sun-type key layout
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 16 February 2008, 00:47:40 »
Quote from: xsphat;2990
What kind of keyswitches do the Sun type 5 keyboards have? What kind of connectors?

Both are membrane I believe.  The Type 5's feel a bit better than the 7's though...(I think the 5's have some sort of pseudo-mechanical thing going on).  The Type 5 keyboards use a proprietary interface.  The Type 7's are USB.