Author Topic: The Journey begins: post 1  (Read 11149 times)

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
Re: The Journey begins: post 1
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 27 February 2014, 08:07:59 »
I'm interested in learning more about those Model F's and seeing if we got some new part numbers.  Wow.  What a collection.
« Last Edit: Thu, 27 February 2014, 08:24:18 by prdlm2009 »
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #51 on: Thu, 27 February 2014, 08:23:40 »
Also, that geekhacker with Model F knowledge near you.  Cough***fohat.digs***cough.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #52 on: Thu, 27 February 2014, 14:50:41 »
How should I go about cleaning these boards up?  Is there anything that can be easily messed up?  What should I watch out for besides brittle plastic?

I highly suggest you watch phosphorglow's video. I think it will answer a lot of your questions.

I'd suggest not cleaning them beyond simply wiping them down.  Any IBM keyboard fancier would rather do some cleaning than have something damaged by someone trying to clean eleventy-hundred keyboards all at once.

Just get the dirt and dust off and then let whomever gets an individual keyboard do an otaku cleaning on it himself.

I'd be happy to demonstrate on one of those small, weird terminal keyboards if you'd like ;)

And yes, best first thread ever.  Welcome to GeekHack!

- Ron | samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #53 on: Thu, 27 February 2014, 15:16:27 »
I just saw this thread for the first time.

The title put me off. I will try to contact David and see if we can work on some of this in person.

Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #54 on: Thu, 27 February 2014, 17:00:47 »
I'd like to visit this too, I should be even closer than fohat.digs is.

But yeah, I'm not sure a full thorough cleaning should be done before selling them. Merely wiping them off would be more than alot of sellers seem to do. Then again, if you did all the bolt modding stuff and also made soarer converters for the ones that need them that might get more money, I just don't know if its worth it.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #55 on: Thu, 27 February 2014, 17:21:02 »
Wow, I just came in here and... Wow.

I'd definitely be interested in an F-122 or maybe 2 if there are extras, once you get everything sorted out.

For those who are interested in APL key caps, Unicomp has them listed on their site again. Two tone red and black, side printed and all, for $35 a set. They look really nice. If I end up with one of these F122s, I may just deck it out in APL caps for the ANSI conversion.

Offline intelli78

« Reply #56 on: Thu, 27 February 2014, 18:11:55 »
I'm not interested in an F122, but I will be more than happy to take an F AT off your hands... keep us updated on selling plans.
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #57 on: Thu, 27 February 2014, 18:19:26 »
So, how about some backstory?   How did you come about to have this massive collection?
Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #58 on: Thu, 27 February 2014, 18:42:52 »
I'm up for a AT and a F-122 since I never got those....

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #59 on: Thu, 27 February 2014, 19:35:14 »
Who's to say that he's going to sell any of them?

I'd like an SSK, but shipping would kill that idea.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline intelli78

« Reply #60 on: Thu, 27 February 2014, 19:39:23 »

Welcome to Geekhack!

The question everyone's minds: are you likely to sell any of these?

Probably followed by: Any SSK in there?

;)

I have no intention of holding onto most of these.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #61 on: Thu, 27 February 2014, 19:42:56 »

Welcome to Geekhack!

The question everyone's minds: are you likely to sell any of these?

Probably followed by: Any SSK in there?

;)

I have no intention of holding onto most of these.

:D
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline intelli78

« Reply #62 on: Thu, 27 February 2014, 19:45:28 »
 ;)

Offline Parak

« Reply #63 on: Thu, 27 February 2014, 20:34:42 »
That's an impressive stash. I see a few unsavers (like an F122 but without numpad), too - those are much sought after.

If I didn't already have all the boards pictured (except the model C, grumble), I'd be clawing at my screen right now.

Oh who am I kidding - I'm clawing at the screen anyway!

Offline DavidB

• RENEW Computer
« Reply #64 on: Thu, 27 February 2014, 20:41:17 »
1387033 - this is rare right? 

Offline Parak

« Reply #65 on: Thu, 27 February 2014, 20:43:31 »
Yeah, there's a few versions of the unsaver - that's one (in fact the only 'known' one) of the easily adaptable ones at the moment, so it's rather desirable.

Offline DavidB

• RENEW Computer
« Reply #66 on: Thu, 27 February 2014, 20:53:11 »
So, how about some backstory?   How did you come about to have this massive collection?

~30 years reselling used/recert computer parts / printer parts / whole machines, and a big warehouse. 

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #67 on: Thu, 27 February 2014, 20:54:20 »

You have one? Or many?  :eek:
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #68 on: Thu, 27 February 2014, 21:08:44 »

Can we get a pic??

I know its not rare but I picked up a M today Part No. 52G9700 FRU no 92F0332 build date 21SEP93.  Bad board chow but decent shape for $5.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #69 on: Thu, 27 February 2014, 21:15:14 »
Yeah, there's a few versions of the unsaver - that's one (in fact the only 'known' one) of the easily adaptable ones at the moment, so it's rather desirable.
I havent seen one, but the 1387032 should exist and be compatible. I suspect 138703* is the naming convention, though I've only ever seen the *3 and *2 offered online.

Looks like you have at least three. I know a lot of GH'ers who would want one. The reason they aren't more sought after is because they are so uncommon, many people don't even know about them.
« Last Edit: Sat, 01 March 2014, 17:16:24 by dorkvader »

Offline JWK

« Reply #70 on: Fri, 28 February 2014, 07:15:12 »
as far as SSK - I don't know.  I'll try to go through some stuff tomorrow and update.

Perhaps I can help you locate the SSKs -- there are probably a few on that shelf you have labelled 1391472.  :-)

The Deskthority site has an excellent wiki on the development of various models of the IBM keyboards.  You'll find that interesting.  But as you find new, uncatalogued  or un-pictured models, it would be nice if you would add to the knowledge base -- or lend the item to someone who has the time to document it.   Every once in a while, someone catches a coelacanth, and it's nice to take some pictures before eating it.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #71 on: Fri, 28 February 2014, 07:23:06 »

Every once in a while, someone catches a coelacanth, and it's nice to take some pictures before eating it.

The coelacanth tastes awful, doesn't it?
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #72 on: Fri, 28 February 2014, 07:47:52 »

That one might gather a little more interest than the rest.

Also, unless it's a trick of the light, thought I saw a few industrials in there too.
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #73 on: Fri, 28 February 2014, 10:40:14 »
Is this 1389732 another version of the Unsaver, similar to the 1387033?  I am a bit confused on the part numbers we are throwing around.

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #74 on: Fri, 28 February 2014, 11:47:59 »
As a rough guide, all 101-key Model Ms with the three status LEDs up in the top right are basically the same.  Older ones with the square silver badge at the upper right are the most desirable, ones with the rounded badge with black text at the upper left are next, and ones with the rounded badge with blue text are the least desirable.  That said, the condition of the keyboard often has a larger effect on price than the badge.

Important addendum here.  I see a shelf of 71G4646, which are rubber dome M's (as are all 71Gxxxx models afaik).

Worth less than standard buckling spring M's, but they're decent RD keyboards I suppose.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #75 on: Fri, 28 February 2014, 11:53:46 »
As a rough guide, all 101-key Model Ms with the three status LEDs up in the top right are basically the same.  Older ones with the square silver badge at the upper right are the most desirable, ones with the rounded badge with black text at the upper left are next, and ones with the rounded badge with blue text are the least desirable.  That said, the condition of the keyboard often has a larger effect on price than the badge.

Important addendum here.  I see a shelf of 71G4646, which are rubber dome M's (as are all 71Gxxxx models afaik).

Worth less than standard buckling spring M's, but they're decent RD keyboards I suppose.

I recently discovered that you can convert that to a buckling spring keyboard, just need to find a full set of buckling spring keycaps and get yoself some springs.  Everything else is the same.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #76 on: Fri, 28 February 2014, 12:00:01 »

I recently discovered that you can convert that to a buckling spring keyboard, just need to find a full set of buckling spring keycaps and get yoself some springs.  Everything else is the same.

I would love to see a write up on this mod.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #77 on: Fri, 28 February 2014, 12:34:16 »

I would love to see a write up on this mod.

We're diverting the thread a bit, it's just like any other bolt mod for a Model M.  I have not completed it yet, but I'm assuming it will work.

Actually, now that I'm writing about it, I might just bolt mod the rubber dome Model M and see how that feels.  Could be the most solid rubber dome on the face of the planet.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #78 on: Fri, 28 February 2014, 13:05:22 »

We're diverting the thread a bit, it's just like any other bolt mod for a Model M.  I have not completed it yet, but I'm assuming it will work.

As I recall, the keys are different because there is plastic in the way where springs are supposed to be. The first one of those I bought, I figured that it was worth the $10 for the keys alone, but I don't think anything really matches except the case and maybe the barrel plate.

Please take photos, I never did, and now I have trouble remembering what all the parts looked like inside.
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #79 on: Fri, 28 February 2014, 13:45:52 »

As I recall, the keys are different because there is plastic in the way where springs are supposed to be. The first one of those I bought, I figured that it was worth the $10 for the keys alone, but I don't think anything really matches except the case and maybe the barrel plate.

Please take photos, I never did, and now I have trouble remembering what all the parts looked like inside.

This is my last post on this rubber dome Model M in this thread (don't want to divert the thread anymore), but my initial assessment leads to believe that the everything is the same on the rubber dome Model M and buckling spring Model M except the following:

1.  keycaps.  Rubber dome keycaps do not have have open space in the key stem to house the buckling springs.
2.  A rubber dome sheet rather than rubber between the barrel frame and metal backplate.
3.  Lack of springs and pivot plates.

The rubber dome sheet has holes in the location of the plastic rivets, so it should be compatible for a bolt mod.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #80 on: Fri, 28 February 2014, 21:47:39 »

I have one and plan to keep it domes and bolt mod it. If you want to convert it to buckling spring you will also need a mat (or "blanket" in unicomp parlance).

Is this 1389732 another version of the Unsaver, similar to the 1387033?  I am a bit confused on the part numbers we are throwing around.

Yes, it's the APL-keycap version.

Offline ZeDestructor

« Reply #81 on: Wed, 12 March 2014, 10:29:34 »
Nice collection...

I'm looking for an unsaver (the famous 1387033 or 1389732.. I don't particularly care about the caps) and an industrial gray SSK (any generation).

PM me so we can arrange something.

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #82 on: Wed, 12 March 2014, 10:37:45 »
I think we're all waiting to hear what's going to happen. I was actually going to post here and ask for an update, since I went ahead and ordered APL key caps from Unicomp to go on a future F-122 or unsaver.

Offline qnaal

« Reply #83 on: Wed, 12 March 2014, 12:49:57 »
DavidB needs an avatar for easier thread skimming.

More

something like this perhaps

Offline histevenhere

• Student
« Reply #84 on: Wed, 12 March 2014, 22:28:12 »
Any updates? :D
HHKB PRO 2, DAS ULTIMATE, SIIG MINITOUCH, KBT PURE, IBM MODEL M, MICROSOFT COMFORT CURVE 2000, CHERRY G84-4100, TG3-TP, QUICKFIRE RAPID, REALFORCE 87u

Offline mougrim

« Reply #85 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 00:03:14 »
Any updates? :D
Nah, topicstarter haven't been online for three days. Either he's busy, or he'd been mugged for his stash :)
IBM AT Model F, Vortexgear Race 3, AEKII (Alps Cream Damped), Metoo Zero (modded to Kailh Box Navy)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #86 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 00:11:51 »

Offline xwhatsit

« Reply #87 on: Tue, 03 June 2014, 03:57:41 »
So what's the go with the beamsprings here? Did they eventually get sold off?
Beam spring IBM 5251 (7361073/7362149) & IBM 3727 (5641316) | Model F IBM 122-key terminal & IBM PC-AT 84-key | Model M Unicomp 122-key terminal | Cherry MX Blue Leopold Tenkeyless