Author Topic: Long usernames overlapping post title  (Read 6685 times)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Long usernames overlapping post title
« on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 17:14:43 »
I have noticed that long usernames seem to overlap the post titles.

Like here: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=36137.msg780019#msg780019

Given that there are no spaces or other breaking punctuation in the username, it would seem difficult to wrap it.

Is there anything else that can be done?  Like making the font a point or two smaller?

Or limiting the length of new usernames?

I know it is not a fixed-width font, so Wwwwwwww is much wider than Iiiiiiii, so that work-around might not work very far around.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
Re: Long usernames overlapping post title
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 17:17:27 »
Or just don't make accounts to see pictures? :)) In all seriousness though, good thought. I thought about this before also.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 20:52:10 »
i don't get this behavior in chrome with the default theme? personally, i'm hesitant to artificially constrain usernames unless people are really going overboard.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 21:38:44 »
Ok.  I see this in Chrome with the Nostalgia theme.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
Re: Re: Long usernames overlapping post title
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 22:33:14 »
Ok.  I see this in Chrome with the Nostalgia theme.
+2

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 22:56:18 »
i don't have the problem in Firefox

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 03:56:24 »
i don't have the problem in Firefox

With Nostalgia?

Nostalgia theme has a few other problems.

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 10:32:22 »
I don't see this with any theme on Firefox or Chrome.  This is on Linux.  It's probably a difference in font rendering.
Russ

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 13:13:35 »
I'll try with Firefox/Windos 7 at work later on.

At home where I see the problem is using Chrome on Mac.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 13:20:16 »
I get it with Chrome on Windows.

Oh and this one.
« Last Edit: Mon, 28 January 2013, 13:32:19 by SmallFry »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 15:20:35 »
Firefox 18.0.1 on Windows 7 - the problem exists.

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=39688.msg780759#msg780759

And the same post with the default theme:

« Last Edit: Mon, 28 January 2013, 15:24:22 by rowdy »

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 01:36:56 »
i think the best part about this is that you don't need an account to see pictures :D

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 10:04:38 »
Lol...
Russ

Offline fruktstund

• !
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 10:13:06 »

The problem is there even with the default theme. His name isn't long enough though, so I had to add some asdasdasds.

Edit: you could add "width: 100%;" and "word-wrap: break-word;" to the CSS (line 1981 of index.css when using the Nostalgia theme for example) to force a word break. Will look better, but it's quite the manhandling of the user's name. :>
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 January 2013, 10:17:38 by fruktstund »

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 10:14:38 »
I love the new theme so much more than nostalgia!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 13:13:04 »
fruktstund's suggestion is probably the best so dar (didn't know CSS could do that, but I should have guessed).

99% of usernames are short and to the point - if someone insists on making such long names, then having them split for display purposes is not an unreasonable compromise.

Offline The_Ed

• Asperger's... SQUIRREL! I'm Anal Retentive *****!
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 16:41:03 »
There is a problem in PMs where the long usernames are cut in half.

This was fixed for posts a while ago by shrinking the font.

Also - Why is "Asperger's... SQUIRREL!" broken onto 2 lines now? Why would the left column be shrunk to the point that 2 words can't fit? (Especially when both the words still clearly fit visibly.)
Reaper "frelled" me... Twice... Did he "frell" you too?... *brohug*
I'm camping for a week, and moving twice in a month. I'll get back to you when I can (If I don't then just send me another PM).
R.I.P.ster

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 16:47:06 »
There is a problem in PMs where the long usernames are cut in half.

Show Image

This was fixed for posts a while ago by shrinking the font.

Thanks, I'll fix this there as well.

Also - Why is "Asperger's... SQUIRREL!" broken onto 2 lines now? Why would the left column be shrunk to the point that 2 words can't fit? (Especially when both the words still clearly fit visibly.)

It's being wrapped because it doesn't fit now.  Lose the space and it will:

« Last Edit: Mon, 06 May 2013, 16:48:37 by rknize »
Russ

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 16:56:53 »
It fit before the signature changes. For 2 words to not fit is ridiculously small.

When are we gonna be able to use fullsize 184 pixel avatars? That way the left column won't be so incredibly small on a standard 1080p monitor.
I'm camping for a week, and moving twice in a month. I'll get back to you when I can (If I don't then just send me another PM).
R.I.P.ster

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 17:55:35 »
Two words can fit just fine.  Two rather long words (one in all caps) and an ellipse do not ATM.

As a far as avatar size...I guess you could start a thread about it and we'll see what the community says.
Russ

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 18:29:41 »
IMHO wrapping names is better than overlapping.

Not many people have that long names, anyway.

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 19:36:54 »
It's even worse now...

EDIT: OH! But "Asperger's... SQUIRREL!" is fixed! Thanks! (You have no idea how much that bothered me...)
R.I.P.ster

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 19:38:12 »
The overlap problem should be gone.  That was an SMF template bug.  Right now, the site code scales long names down in an attempt to avoid the wrap.
Russ

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 19:49:27 »
It's even worse now...

Show Image

EDIT: OH! But "Asperger's... SQUIRREL!" is fixed! Thanks! (You have no idea how much that bothered me...)

I haven't changed anything today.  ;)
Russ

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 19:56:29 »
I am on a computer at school right now, which means that the spacing is being rendered differently...
R.I.P.ster

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 20:00:21 »
I am on a computer at school right now, which means that the spacing is being rendered differently...

Don't such inconsistencies drive you crazy as well?
Russ

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 20:12:17 »
YES!! My custom text used to be Anal Retentive. In school I hated opening pages I made in another browser only to find it messed up...
R.I.P.ster

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 23:32:51 »
Added font scaling for long user names in PM template now as well.
Russ

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 01:47:04 »
Ah so this was why my name shrunk...

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 04:02:32 »
SmallWhiteFireDragon ;)

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 13 May 2013, 15:47:34 »
I tuned the algorithm so that it has finer-grained control over the font size.  We also gained a bit of space in the margin.  LMK is you see any goofy artifacts.
Russ

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 13 May 2013, 19:08:36 »
testing : P

Mine is always long. In the past, for a few weeks, it was chopped off and some letters were on the next line. Seems ok now.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 13 May 2013, 20:52:19 »
Some people might think the font is a bit small (from the original post I linked) ...

21938-0

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 13 May 2013, 22:56:25 »
Righteous punishment, I say.
Russ

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #34 on: Mon, 13 May 2013, 23:00:07 »
That's cold man... cold. :))

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #35 on: Mon, 13 May 2013, 23:09:02 »
:)  I'll tweak the lower threshold on the next push.
Russ

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #36 on: Mon, 13 May 2013, 23:28:17 »
I say let his username be tiny. Tiny is better than broken onto 2 lines IMHO.
R.I.P.ster

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #37 on: Mon, 13 May 2013, 23:31:21 »

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #38 on: Fri, 24 May 2013, 20:48:56 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 27 October 2015, 10:37:45 by esoomenona »

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #39 on: Fri, 24 May 2013, 20:58:12 »
It has, by shrinking the font.

And as Rknize puts it:

Righteous punishment, I say.

R.I.P.ster

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #40 on: Fri, 24 May 2013, 21:02:54 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 27 October 2015, 10:37:57 by esoomenona »

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #41 on: Fri, 24 May 2013, 21:19:37 »
I could've swore I saw it look better than this...

With respect to the margin, it might interest you to know that we had an even larger left margin until I shrank it down on April 29th to recover some dead space.  I had to put some of it back to fit the larger avatars, but it is still slightly narrower than it was originally (by 1em).

The margin is 1em smaller than it used to be, that's why.
R.I.P.ster

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #42 on: Fri, 24 May 2013, 21:43:39 »
It's tricky to get right, since it renders differently on different browsers and platforms.
Russ

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #43 on: Fri, 24 May 2013, 21:45:21 »
IE renders fonts smaller than Chrome, at least for me.
R.I.P.ster