Author Topic: Fixing a mouse which is working sub-par.  (Read 4632 times)

Offline jcoffin1981

Fixing a mouse which is working sub-par.
« on: Sat, 27 August 2016, 16:23:37 »
I have a Roccat XTD laser mouse which is not working as well as when I originally bought it.  At some point it got wet with soda or some liquid material and the left forward and back buttons to stick before they engage.  Rather then replacing the mouse, which also had some random double click issues, I 'd like to replace the switches that are problematic.  I'm pretty sure they are Omron switches, but I don't know from where or which ones to purchase.  I'm sure somebody here can give me a little direction.  Thanks a lot!
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Leopold FC660M- my new favorite, right out of the box.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Fixing a mouse which is working sub-par.
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 27 August 2016, 17:40:56 »
if you feel adventurous,  you can get d2f-01f japan made version of the omron,   if you want consistency with what you're used to, get the d2fc-7n (china made),   you don't have to get the 20m 50m versions, they're actually meaningless.   Logitech achieves those numbers by preventing overtravel, it's most likely the exact same switch as the lower rated versions.

Click on my WMO ultimate guide below, it has everything you need to know about soldering Omrons switches.

(you don't have to cut the pins like in my guide, because that's only for modding WMO)

Offline Geroximo

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 27 August 2016, 18:26:31 »
Don't change the switches.
Just clean the contacts with contact cleaner and you'll be fine.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 27 August 2016, 18:43:54 »
Don't change the switches.
Just clean the contacts with contact cleaner and you'll be fine.

this doesn't always work, because it might not be the contact that's the problem. the spring could be compromised, or cracked soldered joint.. or cracked traces..

Only way to know is to re fresh.

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 30 August 2016, 14:55:04 »
I've seen videos that suggest the metal leaf in the spring is the issue causing double click problems.  I also have a Deathadder mouse which has terrible double click problems.  Anyways I just replaced the mouse as I didn't feel like messing with it.  Problem solved.
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Leopold FC660M- my new favorite, right out of the box.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 31 August 2016, 06:31:06 »
Opening up an Omron switch is 10x more difficult than just soldering in a few new switches. Well, if you're all thumbs like I am, opening a switch involves little pieces of metal flying around the room at the speed of light. If you replace the switches you only have to do a bit of soldering and you're good for 2+ years (or 1-2 years with switches from China)

Offline Lanx

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 04 September 2016, 23:01:18 »
opening up an Omron switch is like opening up pandora's box, lol, just don't.