Author Topic: What Can I Do With a Terminal Model M?  (Read 62648 times)

Offline sealcouch

What Can I Do With a Terminal Model M?
« on: Mon, 12 July 2010, 01:39:58 »
So, I kind of accidentally purchased a Model M, 1392595. Is there some sort of simple mod I can perform to make this work on my PC? Or if not, any tips on selling it?

First post, btw. fantastic forum.

Offline dfj

• Visit our irc: #geekhack on libera.chat!
just a cable-swap
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 12 July 2010, 05:27:02 »
Quote from: sealcouch;201851
So, I kind of accidentally purchased a Model M, 1392595. Is there some sort of simple mod I can perform to make this work on my PC? Or if not, any tips on selling it?

First post, btw. fantastic forum.

OK - that is a 102 key M, so in all likelyhood it supports Mode 2 just fine. Hence, all it needs is to be plugged into a computer.
  If it has that strange jack (it looks like an RJ45, but is bigger and has two clips on the sides rather than one on the  top) on the back of the keyboard, any Model M cable will suffice, but the jack is soldered to the controller so it will be a pain to swap if you don't have one.
  If the end of the connector is a normal RJ45, you can make an RJ45->PS2 cable converter assuming you can scrounge a female RJ45 port and a spare PS2 cable from some-place (e.g. old mice).

On most IBM keyboard connectors for RJ45 the colours are, from left to right, looking at the connector with it pointing up, and the clip away from yourself:
empty
empty
black:    5V (yes 5V on black - it's not my fault)
red:       data
yellow:   clock
white:    ground
silver: (ground/shield)
empty

The colours on other PS2 cables are totally different for each one, so you will need to probe the pins and ends of the wire to figure out which goes where before wiring up the cable. Some sort of meter or even a continuity tester will suffice  for this.

fer yer edification: (from http://www.computer-engineering.org/ps2protocol/ )

Male

(Plug)                                                                                                                                                  

Female

(Socket)

6-pin Mini-DIN (PS/2):  
          1 - Data
          2 - Not Implemented
          3 - Ground
          4 - Vcc (+5V)
           5 - Clock
          6 - Not Implemented
Fave Switch manus: IBM, Topre, Matias, ...

Offline unicomp

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 12 July 2010, 09:58:22 »
You could beat someone to death with it and then keep typing on it, just as long as your sort out the issue of typing on it in the first place. A rather inconspicuous murder weapon, as long as you don't leave any key prints on the victim.

Offline dfj

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 12 July 2010, 19:20:24 »
Ah, not to worry, I've converted a few of the terminal 122 ones with a RJ45 - they were mode 3 like yours, except running on a different cable.
 This is a 102, and while poorly documented it is clearly using the IBM serial rather than parallel protocol since it _cannot_ be using the parallel one with only 5 wires.
  The exciting question is not whether it will work electrically, it is whether it will boot to Mode 3 or to mode 2.
  If it boots to mode 3, but supports mode 2, then one should check the board for a jumper in case it can be changed at that point, else it is as much fun to support as your (Kishy's) terminal boards, i.e. the driver patch will be needed.

I expect that it boots to mode 2, however, and not even a jumper change will be needed. After a cable swap it will likely just work. If not, and you (sealcouch) don' want to do the driver stunt, then please don't get rid of it! someone here will surely want it as it is less than common. :)

Yup,
dfj

Offline sealcouch

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 12 July 2010, 23:38:58 »
Wow, thanks for all of the help. I wonder why they don't just sell a converter for this kind of thing. Having little to no experience with electronics, I may just list it for sale on the site. I'd rather someone perform the mod and have an awesome working keyboard, than me screw it up completely. Also, I noticed the guy I bought it from sent it with a broken key stem on the Ctrl button, so I'm going to have to order that before I can even sell it. *sigh*

Offline sealcouch

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 13 July 2010, 01:30:13 »
I live in Kentucky, about an hour away from the Unicomp place. Haha.

Offline sealcouch

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 13 July 2010, 11:11:58 »
I would try the swap if I had an extra board lying around. I really don't have the money to spend on buying one either. I'm going to email Unicomp for the hell of it.

Offline sealcouch

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 13 July 2010, 11:42:11 »
Yeah, there are no LEDs on it. I will post a picture in a bit.

Offline sealcouch

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 13 July 2010, 18:12:48 »

note the missing keycap. =[

It seems as if it would be a perfect fit for a 1391401 board.

Offline sealcouch

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 13 July 2010, 18:55:06 »
No worries though, I just ordered a replacement key cap.

Offline dfj

f8 - no worries.
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 13 July 2010, 20:14:32 »
Quote from: kishy;202386
Bummer that you're missing F8...I have F7 and F9 as spares, but no F8.

I think I have an F8 - all that is needed now is either an old PS2-cable from somewhere, a 7/32" or 5.5 mm long, narrow socket, and a bit of luck.

Just get the thing working and the keycap is yers, I just need to figure out a way to get it under 2 cm in an envelope to save $0.50 in extra postage. :)

yup,
dfj

Offline sealcouch

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 13 July 2010, 22:28:33 »
I'm afraid it's a bit more complicated. I took the keyboard apart and the wiring is entirely different from the PS/2 or AT style keyboards. Also most schematics I've seen with the Ethernet style adapter have 6 wires on the end, this one only has 5.
 I'm really just considering swapping the boards entirely and then switching the keys.

Offline dfj

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 13 July 2010, 22:42:41 »
Yes - it has 5 - I could swear I described the signals on them above, though. -.-

the cable likely connects to a little black 6-pin thingy stuck into the side of the board - with only four wires connected. The other (fifth) is the ground and will be conected to a sturdy wire to the frame in some fashion, typically.

is this the case?
dfj

Offline sealcouch

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 13 July 2010, 22:56:22 »
Yes'sir.

Offline dfj

ok sweet:
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 13 July 2010, 23:09:56 »
Quote from: sealcouch;202463
Yes'sir.

then yer almost done, you did the hard part which is getting the bloody thing open. :)

At this point you will want a PS2 cable from something that you will need to be willing to cut the base off of so you can connect it in place of the little black connector.

looking at the side of the board, the pins look like so:

o o o
o o o

we can number them like this:
1 2 3
4 5 6

then 1 and two are unconnected, 3 will be 5v, 4 clock, 5 ground, and 6 data.

you can look at my earlier post in this thread to see if IBM used the same colours for your RJ45 connector as mine - if so, then you can confirm what the wires do a little that way.

I have lots of scrap connectors so I don't bother cutting the ends off of the IBM cables, but quite frankly, I don' much like the RJ45 boards I have, so I would be totally willing to cut the original cable if I ran out of connectors otherwise.

once you have a PS2 cable and want to test it on a computer, things will get more fun, though.

looking forward,
dfj

Offline sealcouch

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 13 July 2010, 23:42:53 »
I'm going to give it a whirl tomorrow, but chances are it will probably end up for sale. Haha.

Offline sealcouch

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 14 July 2010, 21:09:57 »

Offline bettablue

• Geeks with a Grudge. Gotta Love'em
    • All Things DOS
Terminal model
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 06 February 2011, 21:55:51 »
I have heard that the terminal models are not compatible for PC use, so I found this article interesting.  I got my model M by asking a lot of people at work if they had one they were willing to part with.  I was finally given a new in box model M by a co-worker, but for some reason it didn't look right.  It was manufactured in Oct of 1994, but had a bunch of extra keys.  Yep, it was a terminal model.  I ended up trading it with another co-worker the next day for another model M that was not nearly as clean and obviously had been used hard and put away wet.  But this one was what I was looking for.  After a good cleaning, it looks like new.  There are no sctratches or chips anywhere.  And, I got a better deal too...  The model M I got in exchenge was manufatured on Feb 10, 1989 and has the extra long coiled cord with a PS2 connector.  It was missing 3 of the key caps, but a quick order from clickykeyboards.com and my board is just like new.  Even the coils in the cable are still wound tight and doesn't appear to have been stretched out at all.  You may be able to find someone who wants a terminal board.  All you have to do is ask.  Like me, you just might be surprised.
Vintage Computer user, and collector, specializing in the IBM 5150 Personal Computer, the World\'s first REAL PC!
Keyboards - IBM Model M X 2, IBM AT X 2, IBM KB8923, Apple IIe, and Mac SE boards. 

-----------------IBM Think!---------------------

Offline dfj

cruel kish
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 07 February 2011, 17:24:00 »
Quote from: kishy;291416
The terminal Ms are AT-compatible, just a different plug and a couple software-interpretation bugs.

Otherwise known as compatible.

So, with a cable swap it will work in your bios and likely bootloader and even DOS - on a PC.
 However, the PS/2 drivers are bugged against terminal boards in both windows (all since '95, I believe) and linux, though we've nearly managed to get a patch into the stream which will support it next linux kernel cycle.
  Driver patches are being maintained by for both linux and 'dose, at present, though not for hackintoshes. As fer BSD, no clue.
  There are also two teensy (and++) implementations, for converting directly to USB, as well as (I think) a hoary kbdbabel converter to normal PS/2.
  Both teensy implementations are not-quite released as open-source yet, but can be had from the folks on the IRC channel #geekhack if you can stand it there. :P the kbdbabel implementation (if it exists) is hampered by the current CVS security problem on SourceForge, and the fact that it would use an 8051 which is often a one-shot, burn-wise. You want to buy a few, since if you flash them wrong then they are permanently flashed wrong. They are also tiny and old, and only programmable in assembly, so you won't have use for them for other projects if you get bored of the keyboard conversion.

So, compatible, sort of... different amounts of work to get going, depending on how much fun you want to have. That said, a number of us use the terminal IBM boards (F and M) as our main keyboards after the conversion - they are truly awesome, with extra special sound and feel.

Be sure to ask us more if you decide to reacquire the beast as a conversion project. We are always delighted to help corrupt new folks.

yupyup,
dfj

Offline bombcar

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 09 February 2011, 08:27:29 »
I have that keyboard on a purple cube adapter on my Mac, and it works, but all those extra keys don't seem to do much.

I'd pay good money for a replacement controller that would unlock the power of those keys.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 09 February 2011, 11:43:53 »
USB adapters drop the extra scancodes.

Offline JohnElliott

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 11 February 2011, 14:39:34 »
Quote from: ch_123;292302
USB adapters drop the extra scancodes.

What's needed is a PS/2 to USB converter that lets you use a custom set of scancode mappings. I don't suppose anyone's aware of one?

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 11 February 2011, 14:44:49 »
If you make your own PS/2 to USB adapter, you can get around that problem. Didn't someone around here make one recently?

Offline theferenc

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 11 February 2011, 14:45:12 »
Quote from: JohnElliott;293523
What's needed is a PS/2 to USB converter that lets you use a custom set of scancode mappings. I don't suppose anyone's aware of one?

Actually, I'm currently hacking hasu's teensy project to add those scan codes back in, for the keyboard in ripster's post.

So yes, we are aware of one, but it's a sort of DIY type converter. It's in the mods section, and I'll be posting back any code changes I make, so people should be able to take advantage of it, so long as they have a teensy or a teensy++.
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

CST L-TracX trackball -- Kensington Expert Mouse trackball

Offline dfj

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 12 February 2011, 07:59:42 »
Quote from: theferenc;293535
Actually, I'm currently hacking hasu's teensy project to add those scan codes back in, for the keyboard in ripster's post.

So yes, we are aware of one, but it's a sort of DIY type converter. It's in the mods section, and I'll be posting back any code changes I make, so people should be able to take advantage of it, so long as they have a teensy or a teensy++.

Ah, I should take a look at hasu's mod, then. Soarer and myself have also written teensy(++) based converters (we also both supported nkro  over USB, though this  doesn't matter for an M).
  With the 122 conversion it is a little trickier for the ones like you and ripster have, as they sometimes generate a sequence of scancodes representing ctrl or shifted standard keys instead of a normal press-release.
  On the unicomp, at least, there was a jumper found that reverted the keyboard to one-key : one scancode press and release.
  I don't have that particular one that rip and yourself have, so I am not certain what is mapped to what combinations, nor what it defaults to, nor whether it switches mode.
  On the current unicomps, though, there is even an eeprom to control the layout, so replacing it with a new one is an option as well.
  But, because of these issues, and possibly extra bytes at the initialization of the keyboard, cheap mass-produced USB converters are likely to continue to struggle for a long time at supporting the older and odder AT-like hardware.

g'luck
dfj

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 12 February 2011, 11:59:36 »
On a not entirely related note, one of the most unusual AT-style terminal keyboard screwups I've seen was when I plugged my AT Model F into my SGI Indy workstation. The Indy (and many other early PS/2 SGI boxes) used Scancode set 3 like IBM's terminal keyboards do. So, Ctrl on the AT Model F (located where Caps Lock is on a modern keyboard) became Caps Lock, and the Alt and Caps Lock buttons became Controls. I'm pretty sure the F keys didn't work - probably due to them assuming the scan codes of the special purpose keys on the IBM 104/122 key terminal boards.

Offline bithead9

the extra Function keys...
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 13 August 2011, 13:22:25 »
I've used that keyboard before (Model M 1397000).  IBM used them on PCs that had 3270 terminal emulation installed. Those keys could be used in ISPF when accessing mainframe applications.  As far as I know, they are useless for normal PC application software.  I am sure you could hack something to utilize them but its not standard...

Offline bithead9

« Reply #27 on: Sat, 13 August 2011, 13:28:00 »
I just refurbed a ModelM Part# 42H1292 nice clicky keys.  Mfg. for IBM by Lexmark. 1996.  Converted it to USB with a PS/2 USB dongle.  I unsoldered the original wires and soldered on a nice long USB cable and used the original ps/2 header wire - wrapped it all in heat shrink tubing.  Works great and is recongnized even on Windows 7 now.  My next project is the Model M - 1392595 Mfg. March 1988.  Missing a couple keys caps.(SEND and RESET I think)

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    • tmk keyboard firmware project
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 06 February 2012, 20:55:05 »
I got a 1392595 same as OP's. It is my first buckling spring.
I made RJ45-MiniDIN adapter as dfj described and hooked it up with Soarer's converter. As a result it works fine. Thanks, guys.

As you know this board speaks in Scan Code Set 3 not 2 so that no luck with commercial PS2-USB converter and BIOS I have.

Offline gnopgnip

Re: What Can I Do With a Terminal Model M?
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 07 September 2012, 04:13:28 »
Would an rj45 to PS/2 adapter like that work for a 1395660?

Offline dfj

« Reply #30 on: Fri, 07 September 2012, 04:46:17 »
Yup, totally - a 1395660 is what I worked on originally, way back.
1395660 -> (rj45 - ps/2 cable) -> (mode 3 - usb converter (soarer's works great) ) -> computer.

g'lucks.

Offline gnopgnip

« Reply #31 on: Fri, 07 September 2012, 07:57:01 »
Would it work without a usb converter just plugging into a PS/2 port?

Offline dfj

« Reply #32 on: Fri, 07 September 2012, 10:24:29 »
Not really.
On certain (but not all) old bios it used to be possible to edit text for the first little bit as long as you didn't hit any extended keys, but that era is long gone and even if your mainboard supports PS/2, it won't be happy. Regardless, it will freak out windows later on unless you hack the windows i8042 and keyboard driver.
  Dealing with the old windows code was a pita, I gave up and wrote a fresh firmware instead, the rarely seen 'dfj-verter' just for mode 3. Soarer also wrote a converter - but his was originally targeted at providing nkro for the IBM F - type XT, AT and other PS/2 keyboards that support it. Adding mode-3 support was straightforward for him (well, me also - mode 3 is much simpler than the default for PS/2 which is mode '2'.)
  Hence - replace the cable with a PS/2 cable, and hook to a soarer converter. This is the fun option. It also gets you a handy converter for other keyboards you might collect over the next bit.
  If you really don't want to do extra cabling until needed you can wire the converter straight to the pin-header inside the IBM board, and let the IBM have a USB cable instead.
  If you are fine soldering electronics, this will be very easy as the soarer converter uses a teensy 2.0. If not, order one with pins and it can be setup with jumpers and/or a solderless breadboard.

Sadly, many of the images associated with posts on this forum got trashed this spring - if you ask particular individuals in question about the images in particular important posts, they might know where they saved their backups... worth a try, at least.

more lucks ; }
dfj

Offline mich

« Reply #33 on: Fri, 07 September 2012, 22:15:22 »
Would it work without a usb converter just plugging into a PS/2 port?
Kinda.
Linux can be patched to support it. There are patched drivers available for some versions of Windows. Neither works out of the box.
My ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 mobo's bios works with it (but behaves as if the keyboard had the old PC AT layout), my MSI 760GM-E51 bios doesn't.

I use this keyboard on my main machine (with this ASUS mobo) running Linux and it works fine, with all 122 keys being available.
« Last Edit: Fri, 07 September 2012, 22:16:58 by mich »

Offline gnopgnip

« Reply #34 on: Sat, 08 September 2012, 11:08:05 »
With a teensy usb converter like soarer's is it possible to map the winkey to one of the other keys? Is it possible to make other macros? I heave learned a lot about how these older keyboards work reading through documentation.

Offline dfj

« Reply #35 on: Sat, 08 September 2012, 19:53:03 »
Individual keys can be remapped using soarer's mod, though I'm not as clear how the macros work.
  I gave him a nudge so he can elucidate, and remind us where it is and how to use it. (we are often on irc).

Offline Soarer

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #36 on: Sat, 08 September 2012, 20:02:03 »
Anything can be remapped with my converter, and you can make other macros :)

Grab the v1.0 download from the project page, it has fairly full documentation of the config stuff, although it could do with me adding more examples!

Offline GoodAsh03

Re: just a cable-swap
« Reply #37 on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 16:34:55 »
  If the end of the connector is a normal RJ45, you can make an RJ45->PS2 cable converter assuming you can scrounge a female RJ45 port and a spare PS2 cable from some-place (e.g. old mice).

On most IBM keyboard connectors for RJ45 the colours are, from left to right, looking at the connector with it pointing up, and the clip away from yourself:
empty
empty
black:    5V (yes 5V on black - it's not my fault)
red:       data
yellow:   clock
white:    ground
silver: (ground/shield)
empty

The colours on other PS2 cables are totally different for each one, so you will need to probe the pins and ends of the wire to figure out which goes where before wiring up the cable. Some sort of meter or even a continuity tester will suffice  for this.

Male

Show Image

(Plug)                                                                                                                                                   

Hi all. Total n00b here. I came across this thread via Google. I got an old IBM model M 1395665 keyboard from work. It has an RJ45 connector as dfj described above. I put together an RJ45 > PS/2 adapter using his description. When I hooked it up it kind of worked. The J key works perfectly! But when I press other keys I get some random stuff. For example, when I press 1 I get "1234" on the screen. I can post more output if it would help.

The keyboard's connector:

1. empty
2. empty
3. black
4. red
5. yellow
6. light grey
7. black
8. empty

My adapter:

I used a continuity tester to make sure I was connecting everything as dfj described it in his reply.

What do you think? Thanks a lot for any advice.

Jeremy

Offline Soarer

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #38 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 15:43:29 »
Since it's terminal keyboard you'll need to plug it into something that can understand it (scan code set 3) - like a modified linux, or my converter.

Offline mich

« Reply #39 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 04:59:27 »
Scancode set 3 keyboard interpreted as scancode set 2 behaves like the original "non-extended" AT keyboard:
- alphanumeric block works normally with few exceptions: CapsLock is left CTRL, left CTRL is left ALT and right ALT is CapsLock
- numpad works normally, but: NumLock is ESC, Enter is +, + is -, / is NumLock
- the keys on the left are F1-F10
- keys which didn't exist in AT produce garbage

Also, there is no repetition nor break codes.

IMO it shouldn't turn "1" into "1234", but maybe it's Windows going crazy :) I'd try it on Linux or Soarer's adapter.

Offline dfj

« Reply #40 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 13:53:38 »
I agree : a USB converter is likely desired, and Soarer's works very well.

Just to share some random details, however:
I'm  not certain what you mean by no repetition or break codes - but set 3 has a slightly different config setup,
http://www.seasip.info/VintagePC/ibm_1390876.html goes into some decent detail.
The default at startup is for some keys to have started in make/break - namely the metas, and for most of the rest to have started in repeat mode.
Unlike a 1390141, it doesn't let keys be in both make-break and repeat, though. The good way to handle this is by setting f8 (all keys make/break) in your adapter (e.g. Soarer's will do this for you) and then when seen as a USB keyboard, the host OS will handle the repeat for you as normal.

also don't know what's up with the 1234 - :/

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #41 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 14:36:01 »
I'm going to give it a whirl tomorrow, but chances are it will probably end up for sale. Haha.

Once you get it working you might find it harder to part with -- just something about bringing it back to active life again that causes this!
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
Quote from: Samuel Adams
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline x2o

• x2o.me
« Reply #42 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 08:53:40 »
Going to give Soarer's converter a whirl, I just aquired a Model M 1392595 (1988 iirc) from a friend who was going to throw it away  (:eek:)

My first terminal model M, should be interesting to see if I can get it working

update: Got the teensy2.0 in and all is working well :)
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 February 2013, 21:24:40 by x2o »

Offline SirReallySam

• SirReallySam-LinusTech
« Reply #43 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 15:14:28 »
Thanks for this, can see where the cables come of the RJ45 please can you help by telling me where each cable goes onto the PS/2 cable?
I like the keyboards... I feel we all do.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #44 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 16:15:31 »
Thanks for this, can see where the cables come of the RJ45 please can you help by telling me where each cable goes onto the PS/2 cable?

You need to intercept the signal and run it through the converter. My post #901 in Soarer's thread shows the adapter that I made.

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=17458.0
State Freedom Caucus News 2024
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    • tmk keyboard firmware project
« Reply #45 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 18:44:30 »

Hope this helps.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PS/2_connector

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #46 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 20:32:05 »
Oh, that. Here they all are in one place.

Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline lkong

« Reply #47 on: Sun, 19 April 2015, 21:57:20 »
Sorry for bumping up the old thread. Im working on exact same keyboard and encountered some problem.
I have a 1392595 and teensy running hasu's firmware. all connections are good.
But it wont register any key.

I tried to use hid_listen, the keyboard keeps outputing code "wFF" non stop.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #48 on: Sun, 19 April 2015, 22:25:35 »
2/3 of these problems are the result of mirror-image hookups.

The diagrams show the socket pins, not the cable that you are holding in your fingers.

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #49 on: Mon, 20 April 2015, 03:00:57 »
Try this:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=61878.msg1721863#msg1721863

And yes...  you can also do it to the 1392595, etc etc.... 
Just go to my gallery of pictures in my sig to see more transformations.
« Last Edit: Mon, 20 April 2015, 12:30:51 by Snowdog993 »