Author Topic: [GB] Phantom-based "Skeleton" Keyboard Kits - GB COMPLETE  (Read 99802 times)

Offline wodan

Re: [GB] Phantom-based "Skeleton" Keyboard Kits - PACKING FOR SHIPMENT
« Reply #300 on: Sat, 30 July 2016, 14:56:30 »
Very interested in 2 of these kits if you consider doing a second round - located in Germany though. International shipping would be pretty awesome.

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #301 on: Sat, 30 July 2016, 15:59:48 »
I had some cosmetic issues as well.  Thanks for all the info/help roostr but if you're going to be doing re-cuts then I would like one also.  Screw holes aren't a big deal because they'll be covered with hardware, but the indicator lights are gonna bug the **** outta me.  I'm a bit OCD when it comes to that kinda stuff.  I know you didn't personally cause these defects and I hope this doesn't put much strain on you, but I can't help that it bugs me.  I don't know much about laser cutting, and I've tried to research it but haven't been able to come up with much about the staining/scratching/residuals that I have present. 

From what I understand slag or dross is an effect on the edge where heat builds up along the cut (or the HAZ - heat affected zone) and creates a build-up of molten steel right at the edge, which is then chipped, sanded, or buffed away.  The issues I have don't seem to be that... and in my research this is more of an issue with plasma cutting.  All the examples of laser cutting that I saw were flawless on the front side with some residual affect on the back.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

That being said I do want to make the solution as easy as possible... What about a re-grain?  Was that too expensive or were you just set on a coated steel?  I wonder if it's possible to do a DIY regrain using a DA Sander or bench-top grinder/buffing wheel and some sandpaper... Thoughts?  I'm not hung up on the coating, I have a pretty sick garage setup and could hit it with a 2-part clear afterwards.  Damn those indicator lights!!
More

The stuff you're seeing is something you'll also see when torch cutting; the solution is to blast oxygen or an inert gas at high pressure while cutting to prevent it from settling on the thing you're cutting. A diamond stone on a dremel would probably remove most of this.

Being one of the few people with multiple plates in their possession, I'm ALSO seeing a pretty high variance in the switch cut locations from plate to plate; not enough to prevent me from lining switches up with the PCB (I THINK...I only have one finished keyboard. Time will tell...) I was able to make the bad plate work for the mounting holes using a very good floor standing drill press and high speed steel bits...

Plate quality is a bit of a let down for me.

With regards to thickness, I've cut the standoffs/spacers off all of my teensy boards (not easy!) and as a result I'm able to get the teensy boards super close to the Phantom PCB; since I'm putting in USB breakout boards (from Sparkfun) I'm making my own interconnect cables to go from the teensy to the breakout board. In the end, 1/2" standoffs are easily enough clearance. In the front, I can even go shorter.

On an aside...turns out I think MX Clear switches are terrible. Ordered replacement springs from MK along with some Teflon lube.

yeah, guys i am seeing these slag marks are more common than i thought. i feel like i should apologize - i feel like i should have done better QC when i picked these up. I was not expecting to see these manufacturing defects. it seems like a simple process for the fab shop - I gave them the CAD files, they just have to enter them into the router and monitor the process. i dont think they spent enough time with our batch, and should have rejected some of these plates themselves.

I have already contacted the shop and expressed my disappointment in just the few people who have come forward so far. I ordered a couple extra sets for myself, so I will be keeping the worst that I find. I have been packing up a few of the last orders today. hoping to make the post office, but if not they will go out  monday. thanks everyone for being patient with me. once everyone has their kits and has a chance to check them over, I will put in the order for remakes for plates with damage/defects.

I also owe some people some more screws. very sorry about that, please send me a PM with how many you need and I will get them out ASAP. Any other issues, let me know and we will try and straighten it out.

Offline duras

« Reply #302 on: Sat, 30 July 2016, 22:30:47 »
I had some cosmetic issues as well.  Thanks for all the info/help roostr but if you're going to be doing re-cuts then I would like one also.  Screw holes aren't a big deal because they'll be covered with hardware, but the indicator lights are gonna bug the **** outta me.  I'm a bit OCD when it comes to that kinda stuff.  I know you didn't personally cause these defects and I hope this doesn't put much strain on you, but I can't help that it bugs me.  I don't know much about laser cutting, and I've tried to research it but haven't been able to come up with much about the staining/scratching/residuals that I have present. 

From what I understand slag or dross is an effect on the edge where heat builds up along the cut (or the HAZ - heat affected zone) and creates a build-up of molten steel right at the edge, which is then chipped, sanded, or buffed away.  The issues I have don't seem to be that... and in my research this is more of an issue with plasma cutting.  All the examples of laser cutting that I saw were flawless on the front side with some residual affect on the back.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

That being said I do want to make the solution as easy as possible... What about a re-grain?  Was that too expensive or were you just set on a coated steel?  I wonder if it's possible to do a DIY regrain using a DA Sander or bench-top grinder/buffing wheel and some sandpaper... Thoughts?  I'm not hung up on the coating, I have a pretty sick garage setup and could hit it with a 2-part clear afterwards.  Damn those indicator lights!!
More

The stuff you're seeing is something you'll also see when torch cutting; the solution is to blast oxygen or an inert gas at high pressure while cutting to prevent it from settling on the thing you're cutting. A diamond stone on a dremel would probably remove most of this.

Being one of the few people with multiple plates in their possession, I'm ALSO seeing a pretty high variance in the switch cut locations from plate to plate; not enough to prevent me from lining switches up with the PCB (I THINK...I only have one finished keyboard. Time will tell...) I was able to make the bad plate work for the mounting holes using a very good floor standing drill press and high speed steel bits...

Plate quality is a bit of a let down for me.

With regards to thickness, I've cut the standoffs/spacers off all of my teensy boards (not easy!) and as a result I'm able to get the teensy boards super close to the Phantom PCB; since I'm putting in USB breakout boards (from Sparkfun) I'm making my own interconnect cables to go from the teensy to the breakout board. In the end, 1/2" standoffs are easily enough clearance. In the front, I can even go shorter.

On an aside...turns out I think MX Clear switches are terrible. Ordered replacement springs from MK along with some Teflon lube.

yeah, guys i am seeing these slag marks are more common than i thought. i feel like i should apologize - i feel like i should have done better QC when i picked these up. I was not expecting to see these manufacturing defects. it seems like a simple process for the fab shop - I gave them the CAD files, they just have to enter them into the router and monitor the process. i dont think they spent enough time with our batch, and should have rejected some of these plates themselves.

I have already contacted the shop and expressed my disappointment in just the few people who have come forward so far. I ordered a couple extra sets for myself, so I will be keeping the worst that I find. I have been packing up a few of the last orders today. hoping to make the post office, but if not they will go out  monday. thanks everyone for being patient with me. once everyone has their kits and has a chance to check them over, I will put in the order for remakes for plates with damage/defects.

I also owe some people some more screws. very sorry about that, please send me a PM with how many you need and I will get them out ASAP. Any other issues, let me know and we will try and straighten it out.

I had a lot of slag on my plates, but my plan was to paint the plates anyway which I have done. I am missing about half the screws though.

Offline rampantandroid

« Reply #303 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 18:41:11 »
Quick reply on cleaning the slag: I think it was said earlier alcohol and a cloth would do it - that doesn't do it for my three plates. What DOES do is using either an exacto knife or a dental pick to lift the edges of the slag up. Then use either a good pair of needle nose pliers or angle cutters to carefully grab the raised edge of the slag and pull it up more. I've gotten most of the slag off the notification light areas this way. The rest is either under switches or under bolts.

I'd also mentioned some minor variances in the switch cutouts between the three plates - they didn't prevent me from lining anything up thankfully. All three of my boards are done being soldered, I'm just waiting on all the required hardware to finish.

I'll have the rest of my mounting hardware tomorrow:
1/2" standoffs as well as some sizes below 1/2" to play with. I'll post pictures of my two KBs and Niarbeht's as well.

Should this GB get run again, I know I have 1-2 friends who would want me to make them a KB as well after they saw my first one (MX clears, all black SA Selectric keyset).

Also got my 62g springs in and some gpl105 to try to make my MX clears feel better (67g Zealios feel perfect though and need no attention.)
« Last Edit: Tue, 02 August 2016, 18:43:17 by rampantandroid »
Someone apparently went up to the great philosopher Wittgenstein and said "What a lot of morons people back in the Middle Ages must have been to have looked, every morning, at the dawn and to have thought what they were seeing was the Sun going around the Earth, when every school kid knows that the Earth goes around the Sun", to which Wittgenstein replied "Yeah, but I wonder what it would have looked like if the Sun had been going around the Earth?"

Offline rampantandroid

« Reply #304 on: Fri, 05 August 2016, 01:40:37 »
OK - so at the very least, 7/16th inch standoffs work in the front. I could probably make them work in the back too, but not with my breakout board (unless I mounted the breakout board on the bottom of the case and drilled a hole to run a wire to it through the bottom plate which would look....wrong.

The caliper in the is showing how much space I have left between my PCB and the bottom plate.
144437-0

Here's the back, I used the sparkfun USB board:
144439-1

And I made my own USB cable to connect to the board:
144441-2
Someone apparently went up to the great philosopher Wittgenstein and said "What a lot of morons people back in the Middle Ages must have been to have looked, every morning, at the dawn and to have thought what they were seeing was the Sun going around the Earth, when every school kid knows that the Earth goes around the Sun", to which Wittgenstein replied "Yeah, but I wonder what it would have looked like if the Sun had been going around the Earth?"

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #305 on: Fri, 05 August 2016, 23:20:51 »
wow, nice work AR. happy to see that breakout board worked fine at low profile.

small update - the last couple orders will be going out tomorrow. If you need a replacement plate made, please PM me. If you are missing screws, please PM me. I have a couple requests so far, but have not heard from many on this.
I want to have this all wrapped up by the end of this month. Thanks again for everyone's enthusiastic support! can't wait to see what everyone has done with their kits

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
ok, so everyone should have their kits by now. if you need a replacement plate made, I need you to PM me photos of the damage so i can send them along to the manufacturer. I am going to try an get these made at no extra cost except shipping. I am also hoping that shipping from me to you will only be $7 for flat-rate envelope, and maybe a couple extra dollars to get them from the manufacturer to me. I need all replacement orders in by Monday, August 15 so that i can send one bulk order for replacements. I am hoping that turnaround will only be a couple weeks.

there are also a few people who have contacted me needing screws and i am tracking this on the order spreadsheet linked in OP. If you still need screws, please PM me. I will mail those out this week for those who have requested them. Thanks again everyone who supported the group buy. I will try and make it right for those of you whose parts are not satisfactory

Offline a-jilted-scholar

• Vimspirational
 :eek: Dang. I really missed out here. $110 is not bad. Can't wait to see more of the final builds. I recently tried my hand at hand-wiring a board recently and didn't like the result so I ordered a phantom PCB. I've already got a Teensy, Switches, keycaps, and now PCB coming

I was wondering if you may have any left over 7Bit plates, or maybe the CAD files?

Thanks

Offline duras

Finished my build. I ended up painting the plates white as I had already started to accidentally leave visible scratches on the metal and I liked the contrast of white with the keycaps. My first time really soldering anything. Definitely not the cleanest job but everything works and I'm pretty happy with it.

Album: http://imgur.com/a/ets8s

Offline Ephemeral

Finished my build. I ended up painting the plates white as I had already started to accidentally leave visible scratches on the metal and I liked the contrast of white with the keycaps. My first time really soldering anything. Definitely not the cleanest job but everything works and I'm pretty happy with it.

Album: http://imgur.com/a/ets8s

Dude, nice. This makes me wish I did something with my plates.
Collection:
More
E6.5 (Lubed 50g MX Blacks) | Preonic (55g MX Clears) | CA66 (Zealios V2 65g) | budget96 (MX Red) | Infinity 60% (Zealios 78g) | Phantom TKL (Gateron Black) | MiniVan (Zealios 78g) | Helix (?)
[Incoming: Polaris (?) |  KBDFans 8X Mk II (v2 Tealios)]

Offline salasource

Anyone have spare PCB to sell? :P

Offline a-jilted-scholar

• Vimspirational
If you're looking for a new one mechanicalkeyboards.com offers them:
https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=536

Offline duras

Re: [GB] Phantom-based "Skeleton" Keyboard Kits - REMAKES ON ORDER
« Reply #312 on: Sun, 28 August 2016, 09:52:08 »
Did you get a chance to send out the missing screws yet?

Offline Phenix

« Reply #313 on: Mon, 29 August 2016, 16:23:41 »
I am also interested in an 7BIT kit (or even better: assembled ;) )
if someone wants to part…
Winter is coming.

Offline rampantandroid

« Reply #314 on: Tue, 30 August 2016, 23:57:34 »
Don't know if anyone else has encountered this but: slag in the channels that allow you to take a switch apart.

Sadly, given where this was, it didn't prevent me from assembling and soldering my boards, and so now I either need to desolder...or cut the switch top apart (which is what I did in the photo). I own a few good needle file sets and was able to carefully file the excess metal down to allow clearance to re-assemble and disassemble the switch fine.

I really file like I got the **** end of the stick with 3 out of 6 total plates requiring re-working...

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #315 on: Thu, 01 September 2016, 02:44:19 »
Did you get a chance to send out the missing screws yet?

i'm very sorry, i have a couple ready to go. i have been really preoccupied with work and family. i will try and get them all out tomorrow.

Don't know if anyone else has encountered this but: slag in the channels that allow you to take a switch apart.

Sadly, given where this was, it didn't prevent me from assembling and soldering my boards, and so now I either need to desolder...or cut the switch top apart (which is what I did in the photo). I own a few good needle file sets and was able to carefully file the excess metal down to allow clearance to re-assemble and disassemble the switch fine.

I really file like I got the **** end of the stick with 3 out of 6 total plates requiring re-working...

RA, if you need replacement plates, you should contact me immediately. i have already ordered all of the replacements that were requested. the shop got back to me yesterday and told me that the laser is down for a few days, so maybe we could get a couple more in the order. sorry to hear you are having so much trouble

Offline rampantandroid

« Reply #316 on: Mon, 05 September 2016, 15:30:05 »
If it isn't too late, a top plate is probably in order then.

Thanks for the reply.

Offline duras

« Reply #317 on: Tue, 13 September 2016, 17:47:02 »
I know you've been busy but was just curious if there is any update on mailing out the missing screws?

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #318 on: Fri, 16 September 2016, 12:29:48 »
yes, sorry for the late update. i shipped those out earlier this week. i sent 10 extra screws to everyone who asked for them or mentioned that they had been shorted. hopefully this is all fixed now.

Offline Rarabka233

« Reply #319 on: Fri, 23 September 2016, 23:30:24 »
I guess I'm a bit late to report any issues.  :-[

I just sent you a PM about them.

Offline rampantandroid

« Reply #320 on: Sat, 15 October 2016, 01:43:11 »
yes, sorry for the late update. i shipped those out earlier this week. i sent 10 extra screws to everyone who asked for them or mentioned that they had been shorted. hopefully this is all fixed now.

Any update on the replacement plates?

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #321 on: Sat, 15 October 2016, 12:55:31 »

Any update on the replacement plates?

replacement plates, missing screws, and all other issues have been wrapped up already. sorry, but i gave plenty of notice for everyone to contact me with issues. send me a pm and i can try to work something out with you.

otherwise, i consider this GB complete

Offline rampantandroid

[GB] Phantom-based "Skeleton" Keyboard Kits - REMAKES ON ORDER
« Reply #322 on: Sat, 15 October 2016, 13:11:05 »
Look a few posts up. I did tell you about my bad plate. PM sent.
« Last Edit: Sat, 15 October 2016, 13:47:02 by rampantandroid »

Offline Phenix

« Reply #323 on: Tue, 18 October 2016, 14:02:47 »
Does someone wants to part with an 7BIT?
Winter is coming.