Author Topic: Erase Eaze Keyboard, space invaders, double spacebar  (Read 3360 times)

Offline Pixel_Outlaw

Erase Eaze Keyboard, space invaders, double spacebar
« on: Sat, 21 February 2015, 17:13:07 »
I've had this keyboard for some time and used it at work.
I found it interesting and might be willing to sell but I don't know much about it.
It is interesting that it is both mechanical and has a double spacebar with option to remap to a delete or backspace.

Thought others might find it interesting.

Here is the full album of shots. It works well enough with an adesso PS/2 to USB adaptor.
Keys are linear I think but do click and are mechanical.

http://imgur.com/a/Zxauz

Brown and black are the colors of cowardice. May my springs shake the heavens!

Offline derezzed

• * Destiny Supporter
Re: Erase Eaze Keyboard, space invaders, double spacebar
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 21 February 2015, 22:46:50 »
I have this same model.   The spec sheet is here:

http://web.archive.org/web/20080807142406/http://www.nmbtc.com/products/kbrds/rt8200w.html

The switches on my keyboard are tactile.  My keyboard also has a badge above the arrow keys that warns about the life-threatening nature of using a keyboard. 

91585-0

Mine is also branded above the caps lock, scroll lock, num lock LEDs with "NMB The Right Touch!"  (not endorsed by, or affiliated with, The Bloodhound Gang, to the best of my knowledge).

I love this board.  The keycaps are nice, the feel is solid, and the split space bar has spoiled me for keyboards that don't put a delete key under my left thumb.  But it's too damn big for daily use.  I'm going to replace it with a TKL (probably KUL ES-87, maybe a Matias Ergo Pro).

Of particular interest, I think, is the fact that the keyboard can buffer up to 16 bytes (the same length as a credit card number), which, if the Kishsaver had the same feature, could explain why the bank manager in the Deskthority thread felt the need to destroy those boards. 

Link here for those unfamiliar with the story. 
http://deskthority.net/vendors-f52/i-am-going-to-scream-t9171.html

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 22 February 2015, 03:25:38 »
Great keyboard! I used one of these as my main keyboard for a couple months. The enormous enter key is a bit silly, but putting delete on a thumb (I use left thumb for space, right thumb for delete) is great.

Offline Chromako

• Worshipper of the Topre and IBM Gods
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 22 February 2015, 07:35:15 »
I was like, OOOh, SHINY! Brilliant!

Then I was like, WTF's with NMB and their obsession with the Big Ass Enter? Gah. They made great stuff, and then... to put that monstrosity on it? So much sadness and woe.

« Last Edit: Sun, 22 February 2015, 07:37:31 by Chromako »
Thou Shalt Not Violate Causality, Nor Shalt Thou Invert Thy Spacebar.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 22 February 2015, 07:59:09 »
Like every other stupid keyboard layout feature, blame IBM.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 22 February 2015, 13:34:03 »
Usability studies have claimed the "Big-Ass" Enter key to be the easiest to hit without errors.

Also, when you have the Eraze Ease bar, the small backspace above Enter should not matter as much.
🍉

Offline Pixel_Outlaw

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 22 February 2015, 14:40:04 »
Thanks for all the information.

My keyboard does have the back badge warning people of the dangers of using a keyboard.
It looks like the front warning was removed and cleaned a long time ago however.

What would be a reasonable value for this?
I imagine it is somewhat of a novelty given the split spacebar and odd character buffer.

It is not bad to type on and I did use it in a office of rubber dome boards with no noise complaints.  :cool:
« Last Edit: Sun, 22 February 2015, 14:43:49 by Pixel_Outlaw »
Brown and black are the colors of cowardice. May my springs shake the heavens!

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 22 February 2015, 18:59:17 »
What would be a reasonable value for this?
I’m guessing you could get $30–80 for it, depending on condition and whether you find the right buyers. I bought one for $40 + $10 shipping a few months ago but it probably could have fetched more as an auction or with a higher price if the seller was willing to wait a bit, and there was one in rough condition that ended up going for $25 + $15 shipping at auction in December. Ebay isn’t still showing historical auctions from 6 months ago, but if I’m remembering correctly some of these have gone for $60 or $80 in the past.