Author Topic: Kalih Speed Silvers Vs Cherry MX Black: Has anyone tried both w/ equal spring?  (Read 3467 times)

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
Unique question I know.

I currently have a custom built with Kalih Speed Silvers, 62g SPRiT springs & lubed to perfection. Sadly, I am finding that they are too light & as much as I like how responsive they are for gaming, I think I'd prefer the longer throw of a Cherry MX housing.

Does anyone have a 62-65g lubed MX Black board & 62-65g Kalih Speed lubed board that they can compare for me?

I am very accustomed to 62g Ergoclears and the 62g Kalihs feel much lighter. I assume this is because the springs are less compressed and because there is no tactility to provide added resistance. I have a hunch that 65g lubed blacks may be my endgame but it's so much work and I'd like to hear some input before I invest all that money and time into a mod or new build.

TGR.JANE.V2 #40/40 <3 // TOKYO60 #1 // KBD75  #1 #2 #3 #4 // ES87  #1 #2 #3 #4 #5
INCOMPLETE  Duck Orion v3, 2 pcb black on black (might sell, pm me)  | SOUTHPAW.65

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
I have 65g lubed vintage blacks and 65g lubed silent blacks in multiple boards... and stock spring lubed kailh silvers in a planck. They are very different. I can try swapping in some heavier springs in the slivers and compare a row of them side by side if you really want but I suspect they will simply feel shorter? I find that the lubed silvers are pretty slippery.
-Dana

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
I just did this. I found the re-tooled MX Blacks to be a bit smoother. Nothing huge but it was noticeable.

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
Retooled blacks are smoother than speed silvers regardless of lube.
keyboards.

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
^ i would go one step further and make the outlandish claim that the new Cherry re-tooled blacks are the smoothest stock MX based switch i've ever felt.
-Dana

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
I'm not concerned about perceived smoothness. I lube all my boards anyhow.

What I'm curious is, with equal springs, will actuation force and whatnot be increased with the MX housing? I can definitely notice the shorter throw between 62g ergos and 62 lubed kalihs.

TGR.JANE.V2 #40/40 <3 // TOKYO60 #1 // KBD75  #1 #2 #3 #4 // ES87  #1 #2 #3 #4 #5
INCOMPLETE  Duck Orion v3, 2 pcb black on black (might sell, pm me)  | SOUTHPAW.65

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
M0ar speed... m0ar G4m3r.. what's else do you need to know..

also, spring ratings are sometimes all over the place..  check the springs for yourself.

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild

What I'm curious is, with equal springs, will actuation force and whatnot be increased with the MX housing? I can definitely notice the shorter throw between 62g ergos and 62 lubed kalihs.

I was under the impression that the shorter throw was a result of a longer stem not a housing difference. I just put a clear stem in a kailh speed silver and its no longer "short". I think the center post is longer on the speed silver kailh which is different than the cherry speed silver which has an extra tab on either side of the slider to bottom out early.

-Dana

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world

I was under the impression that the shorter throw was a result of a longer stem not a housing difference. I just put a clear stem in a kailh speed silver and its no longer "short". I think the center post is longer on the speed silver kailh which is different than the cherry speed silver which has an extra tab on either side of the slider to bottom out early.

Ohhhhhh... this is really fortunate news! This would mean a conversion to standard MX Black would only require a spring & stem swap, and wouldn't require another lube job! (minus touch ups on the new stems)

Are you absolutely sure?

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
M0ar speed... m0ar G4m3r.. what's else do you need to know..

also, spring ratings are sometimes all over the place..  check the springs for yourself.

I know. I use the same source & branding and whatnot. They're the same as much as any could be from the same batch.

Also, the higher actuation is pretty nice for gaming. However, I didn't take into consideration swapping on a daily basis back and forth would result in excessive bottoming out :X. It gets quite harsh at times.

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
Check out my post in this thread https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=87973.50  maybe that will help. Let me know if you want me to rip any more apart to compare.

The Kailh switches dont have the extra length on the tabs there... instead it has an extra bit on the bottom of the post that i think bottoms out inside the tube... but i would have to cut one in half to confirm for sure where it it hitting first. It might very well be up on the inside of the stem onto the top of the tube in the base as well.
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 November 2017, 21:52:22 by OfTheWild »
-Dana