Author Topic: Outemu Blue ALPS MOUNT clicky switch that fits MX keyboards (MX pin footprint)  (Read 4486 times)

Offline AlpsAficionado

(Cross-post from reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/10n49nx/outemu_blue_switch_alps_keycaps_on_an_mx_keyboard/)

In my travels on Taobao, I've come across a most unusual switch. This Outemu/Gaote blue switch features a plain rectangular Alps mount slider similar to a KPT switch, with a click leaf à la Alps (edit: just a click jacket, that's a contact leaf :-( ), but your standard issue MX compatible pin footprint.

They are pleasantly clicky and seem quite reliable. Actuation force feels possibly a little heavier than Alps Blue, but nothing ridiculous. I'm a pretty gentle typist and these suit me pretty well.

And they allow for bizarre frankenkeebs like this DAREU featuring AEK II keycaps.

Standard "Outemu Blue" switches are regular MX mount. I suspect these may have something to do with the development of Matias's switches. Didn't Matias work with Outemu in developing his Alps derived switches?

Available on Taobao: https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=615802407415&ft=t&toSite=main

Keyboard model is the "Dareu A87 KB Keep Fighting Special Edition" https://www.dareu.co.id/gaming/keyboard/dareu-a87-kb/
Keycaps are from several Apple Extended Keyboard IIs, except for the top row (Apple Desktop Keyboard Alps Mount version) and the spacebar (some Matias thing, probably).
« Last Edit: Sun, 29 January 2023, 18:53:54 by AlpsAficionado »

Online Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
I think it's kind of useless since, they could have tried to make the stem MX compatible while leaving in the click leaf. Other than being able to put your alps sets on a MX board is not something a lot of people would do i imagine.
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline AlpsAficionado

You're correct, it's not particularly useful. I found a marginal use for it because I have some spare AEK II keycaps (and really like them). Mostly, it's just super weird.

Offline Maledicted

Looks like they might be compatible with MX sliders? This is actually very encouraging because even if they're not compatible with MX sliders, that means Gaote is at least eyeing bringing Alps to the wider market like Gateron helped Zeal do with Clickiez.

With both companies on the trail already, it should hopefully only be a matter of time before we have quality Pro World clones for a fraction of the price of Clickiez.

Would it be possible for you to take one apart and get some shots of the guts?
« Last Edit: Sun, 29 January 2023, 04:00:54 by Maledicted »

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
My question is how in the sam **** did they fit a click leaf in a normal MX top. There's no way in hell that they did that.
One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven, Eight, Nine, Ten, Eleven, Twelve, Thirteen, Fourteen, Fifteen, Sixteen, Seventeen, Eighteen, Nineteen, Twenty... Yeah that seems about right.
"Ask your mother how good I can use more than two fingers." - Caesar, 2023

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
Click leaf my ass, that's a click jacket
https://imgur.com/a/eL5l8kj
One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven, Eight, Nine, Ten, Eleven, Twelve, Thirteen, Fourteen, Fifteen, Sixteen, Seventeen, Eighteen, Nineteen, Twenty... Yeah that seems about right.

Offline AlpsAficionado

Hm. I was interpreting the metal mechanism on the other side as a click leaf.

Offline AlpsAficionado

Here's a video of the plastic click jacket actuating.

Offline AlpsAficionado

And here's the... metal part?... during actuation.

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
Hm. I was interpreting the metal mechanism on the other side as a click leaf.
It's alright, we all make mistakes in the heat of passion :)
That's the contact leaf, though they do look very similar to click leaves to the inexperienced.

Offline AlpsAficionado

Today I learned something. Thanks!

Here's a shot of the disassembled guts of the switch. That does look like an MX-style contact leaf.

Offline Maledicted

The contacts one would expect to be like Cherry. The side you were thinking was metal was just the white MX click jacket under the slider. The click leaf is the real special sauce in Alps.

I'm still hopeful we'll see Pro World clones in the near future to compete with Clickiez and actually give some variation.

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
The contacts one would expect to be like Cherry. The side you were thinking was metal was just the white MX click jacket under the slider. The click leaf is the real special sauce in Alps.

I'm still hopeful we'll see Pro World clones in the near future to compete with Clickiez and actually give some variation.
My magic 8 ball says "Don't count on it." I doubt clickiez even made the splash zeal was hoping for, and despite the fact I love the switches and would love to be able to actually afford them (He says, with his alu boston full of clickiez on the shelf behind him), I think a company trying to make a clickiez competitor wouldn't be worth the monetary investment nor the absolute hassle of manufacturing.

Offline Maledicted

My magic 8 ball says "Don't count on it." I doubt clickiez even made the splash zeal was hoping for, and despite the fact I love the switches and would love to be able to actually afford them (He says, with his alu boston full of clickiez on the shelf behind him), I think a company trying to make a clickiez competitor wouldn't be worth the monetary investment nor the absolute hassle of manufacturing.

Sure it would. Zeal just made all of the wrong choices at a ridiculous price, as Zeal tends to do. Gateron and Outemu could make Pro World clones at a fraction of the price and actually get the tactility right for most of their target audience instead of going too tactile for most and just forgetting about it. If they did that, the conversion of many MX cultists will cascade as people realize good clicky switches exist because they can try affordable new production ones compatible with their precious hot swap boards and accessories instead of hunting down SKCM, paying hundreds for an F or giving Matias a fair shake.