Author Topic: Fullsize keyboard in ISO layout with macro keys and per key backlight  (Read 2174 times)

Offline shadow3264

Intro:
Hello, after searching for a fullsize keyboard PCB and not finding what I was looking for I decided to try my hand at making my own PCB. I wanted to have a keyboard that wasn't missing any keys and I really since I really like the macro keys on my Razer Blackwidow keyboard I included five macro keys on the left side of the keyboard and added some keys for media control over the numpad. I took the idea for the backlight matrix from the Kira keyboard and want to hear your opinion if this is actually going to work.

Specs:
  • STM32F411VET microcontroller
  • ISO layout
  • per key backlight
  • five macro keys and three media keys
  • additional underglow LEDs
  • USB-C via a daughter board

Layout:

PCB:

The routing is not great, my first PCB design, definitely learned a lot in the process and now know what to better if I do it again.

Github Repo: https://github.com/shadow3264/FullsizeKBD

Feedback is greatly appreciated, it would be nice to know if this is even a feasible project. Thanks for reading
« Last Edit: Tue, 20 April 2021, 10:08:40 by shadow3264 »

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: Fullsize keyboard in ISO layout with macro keys and per key backlight
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 20 April 2021, 03:25:42 »
I'm not qualified to say whether this PCB will work but the main reason per key RGB was never an option for big boards in DIY was power so if this is true USB-C and the chip is QMK compatible (or you can make your own firmware) there's no problem with faesibility.

You might want to fix your KLE pic above - I was scratching my head at the absence of 3 and 9 when this was going for 'all the keys!' but they're there on the PCB so all good.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline yui

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 20 April 2021, 03:55:45 »
i think i read somewhere that QMK is STM32 compatible now, and if this MCU is compatible i'd love to see this become a thing, although i do not care for back-lighting but a 100% iso board is a rarity.
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline shadow3264

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 20 April 2021, 04:30:21 »
You might want to fix your KLE pic above - I was scratching my head at the absence of 3 and 9 when this was going for 'all the keys!' but they're there on the PCB so all good.
Yeah probably forgot to move over the right most keys, gonna fix it once I'm home

i think i read somewhere that QMK is STM32 compatible now, and if this MCU is compatible i'd love to see this become a thing, although i do not care for back-lighting but a 100% iso board is a rarity.
I chose the micro specifically for QMK compatibility, well that and LCSC part availability.

Thanks for the feedback :)