Author Topic: [GB] F104+SSK+122+62+77+50+Ergo orders now open! Kishsaver+Industrial Model F  (Read 2338203 times)

Offline Ellipse

• Brand New Model F Keyboards
3K the compact cases are a standard hard anodized finish which has some reflectivity but they will not be bright dipped.

Offline ibakey

I am beyond tempteddd. helppppppp

Offline Guupti

Thinking of joining the final production round. Thoughts on compact vs original case? Love the idea of an all metal case and like the modern look but I think I read the original was a bit heavier and obviously more unique. Any personal options after using both Ellipse?

Offline Kavik

Thinking of joining the final production round. Thoughts on compact vs original case? Love the idea of an all metal case and like the modern look but I think I read the original was a bit heavier and obviously more unique. Any personal options after using both Ellipse?

My thought: if you have to get just one, get the original case. The design is more unique, it's heavier, it's powder coated (more textured), and it's made of friggin' zinc! The compact case look nice, but it's very similar to a lot of other projects, and it's anodized aluminum. For the record, I ordered both, so I'm eager to see which one I like more after experiencing them. Ellipse may have some more insight on how the cases affect the key feel and sound of the board.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
My thought: if you have to get just one, get the original case. The design is more unique, it's heavier, it's powder coated (more textured), and it's made of friggin' zinc!

Kavik's right.

This is the PRIME directive, concerning all Model-F fanboys.  Once you use this keyboard you suddenly become a crazed Zealot joining thousands of others worldwide, in worshiping this type of technology.

The Model-F is truly unique, 100% designed by engineers who once cared about QUALITY, ENDURANCE and above all else the strength of the 'IBM' name.  These are criteria that hold a special resonance upon all of us here in this Group Buy, because we believe in this truly unique keyboard.

This whole process is exactly like the Legend of King Arthur, the sword upon which he gripped with his own hands to pull out of the stone.  Here is the mighty Excalibur, the sword that proclaimed great strength and leadership upon all mortals, on Earth.  Ellipse is the almighty "Merlin" who is the one that guides and advises 'Arthur' all F77 buyers, throughout his reign as Monarch.

This Model-F keyboard is exactly like "Excalibur" a mighty symbol of supreme power and immense strength.  Anyone who receives the F77 shall indeed become as powerful as Arthur because you shall inherit all that responsibility and potential, bestowed upon you by our very own Ellipse  8) .
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 May 2017, 20:41:21 by Elrick »

Offline Ellipse

Yes I agree with Kavik and Elrick - go for the original case if you can!  Though both look great in person.

All the first run parts (except keys) are being sent tomorrow by DHL Express!  They should arrive by mid-week and then I can start the final QC testing for all parts.  I have extra batteries for my micrometer!  Keys are expected to be mailed by the end of next week.  They are working on the final adjustments of the key molds.

Here are the photos of the cases and outside foam being mailed.  The other inner parts are also being mailed so in effect I will be doing the assembly and testing from all newly received parts.

Again please disregard any and all colors and lighting in these photos as they are not accurate or representative of what you will get.
168281-0
168283-1
168285-2
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 May 2017, 21:56:09 by Ellipse »

Offline Kavik

Yes I agree with Kavik and Elrick - go for the original case if you can!  Though both look great in person.

All the first run parts (except keys) are being sent tomorrow by DHL Express!  They should arrive by mid-week and then I can start the final QC testing for all parts.  I have extra batteries for my micrometer!  Keys are expected to be mailed by the end of next week.  They are working on the final adjustments of the key molds.

Here are the photos of the cases and outside foam being mailed.  The other inner parts are also being mailed so in effect I will be doing the assembly and testing from all newly received parts.

Again please disregard any and all colors and lighting in these photos as they are not accurate or representative of what you will get.
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

Wow, those look incredible! I'm glad the final run parts are finally making their way to you for QC. That is exciting!

Offline Ellipse

Yep Kavik these shipped today and are making their way over here as we speak.

I was thinking of attending the Philadelphia keycon at Villanova on 6/24 and bringing these final first run keyboards. Anyone planning on attending?

https://geekhack.org/index.php?board=195.0

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
Yep Kavik these shipped today and are making their way over here as we speak.

I was thinking of attending the Philadelphia keycon at Villanova on 6/24 and bringing these final first run keyboards. Anyone planning on attending?

https://geekhack.org/index.php?board=195.0

I will be.

Offline smt

• I like keyboards
    • smt.io

I plan to be there. It would be an honor to meet you and see these boards in person.
HHKB Pro 2 | FC660C | Clueboards | MOD-M Custom | MiniVan | Preonic | Planck | Let's Split | Anne Pro | WASD CODE TKL

Offline Pete

Here are the photos of the cases ...

Again please disregard any and all colors and lighting in these photos as they are not accurate or representative of what you will get...

Disregarding your disclaimer on the colors, the red really does look amazing. I'm tempted to order another keyboard so I can have a red case as well.
168397-0

Offline kawasaki161

I bought a Model M to see if BS is something for me... well, I'm now excited about these. I'll jump in as soon as the first third party reviews from the early bird round come in. :thumb:

Now, F62 or F77? Compact or classic? Decisions, decisions, decisions....
« Last Edit: Wed, 17 May 2017, 07:15:52 by kawasaki161 »

Offline Ellipse

My personal preference is for the original off-white/beige color, F77 version with num pad style right side block.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
Hey ellipse, i pmd you about a color change  :thumb:

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
My personal preference is for the original off-white/beige color, F77 version with num pad style right side block.

Same here, except for the colour in which I chose the traditional Industrial Grey  :thumb: .

The Model-F77 is the standard to which all past and future Model-Fs shall try to live up to.  Just glad you have decided to make it a reality for the majority of us that love the Model-F feel, something truly spiritual when used in front of any PC.

Just glad that when the world is falling apart and the yanks go insane about the Russians, we have Ellipse delivering to us a cherished reminder of what an over-engineered keyboard should be.

Offline Ellipse

updated reececonrad - sorry for the delay!

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
updated reececonrad - sorry for the delay!

Just got the email.  Thanks, sir. I was on the fence still with the color choice, but when you mentioned you preferred off white it sealed the deal!   :thumb:

Offline NathanA

Please tell me that the space bar is going to have a nice "thock" quality to its sound like the F XT's does.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_qA5OZFJ1I&t=443s

-- Nathan

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
The XT space bar had a weird Rube Goldberg contraption underneath. The 4704 and F-122 space bars were much more straightforward: a single switch with a wire stabilizer. So it won't sound like an XT, but more like the rest of the keys.

Offline Ellipse

I am typing on a fully assembled new prototype F62!

Everything is working very well so far. The powdercoated die cast zinc cases are excellent quality. It was well worth the couple extra months to get the paint job right. The off-white/beige color is almost an exact match to the 1988 F107 case I mailed them as the reference. The texture is the same bumpy, mostly matte but slightly reflective powdercoating as the original. The True Red and Black cases look good. In the next week or two they will mail the Industrial cases.

The capacitive PCBs, controller PCBs, inner foam, and outside foam are all good. Every PCB is being grounded in two spots to the bottom inner assembly with 6-32 screws to eliminate the risk of stray capacitive signals.

There were a number of issues that I have told the factory to work on and prioritize for completion as soon as possible. Some notes:

The top inner assembly parts are very good but slightly off spec. The TIA curve is about 1mm off from the ideal. My XT sample has a perfect curve that matches my CAD files exactly so I have asked the factory to remake the samples to this standard. The perfect curve helps ensure a more even pressure on the barrels between the top and bottom inner assembly. The wrong curve can result in wiggly barrels and clicks that are not as sharp so it is important that they get it right. To correct this issue they are going to adjust their tooling and mail corrected parts ASAP.

The compact cases had some issues with the color of the hard anodizing being slightly off. They are adding another couple screws on the bottom to further secure the case.

The product boxes were 2.5mm thickness instead of the 5.0mm I had specified so those were rejected, though the box artwork is well-printed.

Finally the springs are very close to the originals but I want to see a few more spring samples with different materials before the springs go into production.

168937-0
168939-1
168941-2
168943-3
168945-4
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 May 2017, 22:58:43 by Ellipse »

Offline SixtyLife

I am typing on a fully assembled new prototype F62!

Everything is working very well so far. The powdercoated die cast zinc cases are excellent quality. It was well worth the couple extra months to get the paint job right. The off-white/beige color is almost an exact match to the 1988 F107 case I mailed them as the reference. The texture is the same bumpy, mostly matte but slightly reflective powdercoating as the original. The True Red and Black cases look good. In the next week or two they will mail the Industrial cases.

The capacitive PCBs, controller PCBs, inner foam, and outside foam are all good. Every PCB is being grounded in two spots to the case with 6-32 screws to eliminate the risk of stray capacitive signals.

There were a number of issues that I have told the factory to work on and prioritize for completion as soon as possible. Some notes:

The top inner assembly parts are very good but slightly off spec. The TIA curve is about 1mm off from the ideal. My XT sample has a perfect curve that matches my CAD files exactly so I have asked the factory to remake the samples to this standard. The perfect curve helps ensure a more even pressure on the barrels between the top and bottom inner assembly. The wrong curve can result in wiggly barrels and clicks that are not as sharp so it is important that they get it right. To correct this issue they are going to adjust their tooling and mail corrected parts ASAP.

The compact cases had some issues with the color of the hard anodizing being slightly off. They are adding another couple screws on the bottom to further secure the case.

The product boxes were 2.5mm thickness instead of the 5.0mm I had specified so those were rejected, though the box artwork is well-printed.

Finally the springs are very close to the originals but I want to see a few more spring samples with different materials before the springs go into production.

(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
wow.. phenomenal job so far ellipse!
Kishsaver, JP SSK, Displaywriter SSK, 360C, HHKB Type S, X60, Jane v2, Jane v2 CE

Offline Kavik

Thanks for the update! It's good to see things progressing along. I can't wait to see the industrial gray and compact cases when those are ready.

Offline Ellipse

Yep it's progressing - definitely slower than their original expected timeline.  The months extra for the key molds was frustrating earlier this year but they are expecting to finish up the mold corrections in the next week or so.

The springs have improved sound but the top inner assembly needs to be re-made and accurately curved before the Model F sound is at its sharpest. Currently it's well within the range of the original Model F's that have gone through my refurbishings over the years.

We are getting there - thanks to everyone for their patience with the factory delays.

The feel is very comfortable to type on. Another buckling spring fan in my family hit 112 WPM on 10fastfingers with this first-run F62! You can really notice the difference with new springs that have not been worn out and oxidized after 30 years.

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Preacher at the church of Thorpe
Yep it's progressing - definitely slower than their original expected timeline.  The months extra for the key molds was frustrating earlier this year but they are expecting to finish up the mold corrections in the next week or so.

The springs have improved sound but the top inner assembly needs to be re-made and accurately curved before the Model F sound is at its sharpest. Currently it's well within the range of the original Model F's that have gone through my refurbishings over the years.

We are getting there - thanks to everyone for their patience with the factory delays.

The feel is very comfortable to type on. Another buckling spring fan in my family hit 112 WPM on 10fastfingers with this first-run F62! You can really notice the difference with new springs that have not been worn out and oxidized after 30 years.

So exciting, thanks for the detailed updates. The cases look so good I am tempted to get an extra one in another colour!

Offline NathanA

The XT space bar had a weird Rube Goldberg contraption underneath. The 4704 and F-122 space bars were much more straightforward: a single switch with a wire stabilizer. So it won't sound like an XT, but more like the rest of the keys.

I know that I'm still going to love this keyboard, but that still has to be the saddest news I've heard so far...

Somebody please tell me there is a straightforward way to mod a 4704 spacebar so that it sounds and responds like an F XT. :)

-- Nathan

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist

If it all means that everyone of us who handed over our money months ago, get a PERFECT Model-F series in our hands, then it's all worth it  :thumb: .

We all know making a Model-F from scratch isn't easy hence why NO one over the years have done it, you are the very first person to accomplish this major achievement.  That alone places you into the stratosphere of people who have created something unique during 2016 and 2017.

Offline Ellipse

We passed $235,000 in orders this week!

Update on the top inner assembly cases - the factory has agreed to change over to a different tooling setup to make top inner assembly parts that are accurate in their bend and size.  They need a few weeks for setup and to send the corrected samples. 

This is an important step to make sure the Brand New Model F keyboards sound as good as the best Model F keyboards in my collection, not just the 50th percentile Model F.  The best ones have accurate top inner assembly curves like the XT example in one of my recent posts.  The middle row should be as clicky as the other rows after the corrected cases arrive.

In the mean time I expect the final remaining parts to start going into production - we will not be waiting for these top inner assembly parts to be ready before wrapping up production on the other items.

Offline dotcom

Thanks so much for putting on this GB as well as providing continuous and detailed updates on the project. I recently placed an order for an F77, and I'm super stoked!

I did have a fairly minor change request to my order--I sent you an email with the details. I also have some questions regarding one of vintage keyboard listing on your website I hope to discuss in detail with you soon.

Thanks again for making this happen. I'm very happy and proud to be a part of this incredible project.

Offline Ellipse

Thanks dotcom - just responded - sorry for the delay.

Offline Ellipse

Typing on the ultra compact F62 prototype!  Here are the first photos from the assembled compact F62:
169491-0
169493-1

Offline dotcom

Currently considering ordering an F62, but I'm trying to figure out how I would handle the lack of dedicated cursor keys if I did get one. Would anyone be willing to share their ideas on mapping cursor key functionality for the F62?

Offline Kavik

Typing on the ultra compact F62 prototype!  Here are the first photos from the assembled compact F62:
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Wow, good thing I ordered an extra black ultra compact case and black keyset for my F77!  :cool:

Offline Ellipse

dotcom I suggest the standard HHKB style mapping for the F62, which will be the expected default configuration (you can change this yourself using the xwhatsit GUI).  http://elitekeyboards.com/proddata/doc/hhkbp2_basic_layout.png

Offline mrduul

Very excited!!!!  :thumb:

Offline dante

Ellipse you may want to get a plane ticket and visit the line as this is being built.

XMIT got blind sided with terrible QC on his boards.

Offline Ellipse

dante I do expect to stop by the factory at some point.  I will not accept any parts that do not pass my quality standards.

Offline Ellipse

Typing on the ultra compact F77 prototype!  Here are the first photos from the assembled compact F77:
169562-0
169564-1

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
Typing on the ultra compact F77 prototype!  Here are the first photos from the assembled compact F77:
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

Ohhh FVCK ME, that is the MOST beautiful picture yet of a Model-F inside an aluminium case  :o :o :o .

Dare I say it here, that it looks like some high end Korean Custom Keyboard........

Offline supamesican

Holy crap... That f77 is so beautiful... My hype is growing.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
Holy crap... That f77 is so beautiful... My hype is growing.

Oh YES, it is  8) .

Ellipse knows how much flange to apply and there is heaps around this one and considering my insane love for extra flange, this keyboard design is the one to own.

Think even the Koreans would be proud of this one.

Offline tron

(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

Is it possible to buy a second ultra compact case in black and request the default case color and caps be changed? I purchased a grey ultra compact with printed caps installed by default and black caps as a side order, however, I was hoping I could buy a second black case and change the default to black case and black caps with the grey case and printed caps as the side order.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
Was there an option for keycap layout?  I would prefer to NOT have a stepped caps, but I like the stepped right shift.

Offline Ellipse

Yes tron, feel free to place another order for the case and include a note on your order updates.

reececonrad yes you can configure layouts when placing your order by using the drop down menus.  No one will be getting stepped caps (though you can order them from Unicomp or others).

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
I have made the right choice on all black!!!

Godspeed.
{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline MaNiFeX

• Wu Tang Killa Keebs
    • MaNiFeX.net
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

Holy ****.  That's beautiful.

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Preacher at the church of Thorpe
Re: [GB] F62+F77 orders now open! New Kishsaver+Industrial Model F Keyboards
« Reply #895 on: Thu, 01 June 2017, 03:16:58 »
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

Godspeed.

Yeah me too :) Definitely prefer the original F62 case but the F77 in the compact case is looking good!

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #896 on: Thu, 01 June 2017, 20:00:03 »
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

Godspeed.

Yeah me too :) Definitely prefer the original F62 case but the F77 in the compact case is looking good!
Oh for sure, Classic case is the only case in my mind!!!
{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline mrduul

« Reply #897 on: Fri, 02 June 2017, 14:34:30 »
Amazing, great work dude.  :thumb:

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #898 on: Sat, 03 June 2017, 15:12:21 »
Here is the latest project update blog post - photos and descriptions of each Model F part:  "What makes up a Model F Keyboard? + Detailed production status of each part"

https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/blog/

Thanks mrduul!

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #899 on: Sun, 04 June 2017, 18:39:50 »
The factory will be preparing for assembly in the coming months.  Here is the current breakdown of the different options everyone has chosen so far.  We passed $245,000 last week - 533 Brand New Model F keyboards have been ordered.

Thanks to the wide variety of customizations, the factory will be assembling over 150 variations of layouts, keys, and case colors.  I will ask them to put a post it or other paper on the box to number each variation so I can examine and ship each one in sequence of serial number. 

The F77 has unexpectedly taken over to become the more popular keyboard compared to the F62. 

We are running low on F77 early bird cases - if anyone wants to switch to F62 or F77 Black it would be appreciated!

New Production Keyboards:
F77   260
F62   191
Compact F77   44
Compact F62   38
Grand Total   533

Layouts:
ANSI Enter 239
HHKB-Style Split Right Shift and Split Backspace   137
HHKB-Style Split Right Shift and regular 2-unit wide backspace   101
ISO (please note which layout you want)   38
HHKB split right shift only, everything else ANSI Enter   7

Selected items:
Extra Flipper and Spring   1842
Extra Barrel   1404
4 Extra bumpers 149
Extra Plastic Stabilizer Insert for keys   147
Unprinted 1U key   89
Industrial SSK Blue Keys   84
Front-printed keys F1, etc.   77
FirstAidKit   66
Extra steel spacebar tabs (pair)   49
Extra inner foam (F62, F77, F62 split shift, F77 split shift, F107, F122)   47
Extra Set of Brand New Production XT-quality one-piece keys   45
HHKB 6 Key Set  27
Extra F77 Case   25
Apple/Mac Command-Option Keys   25
Extra F62 Case - 'Kishsaver"   23
Clear relegendable cap+squared edge stem (original IBM)   11
Extra PCB   5
Original IBM Model M keycap set (limited QTY avail.)   5
Extra top inner assembly   3

Case Orders, Excl. Extra Cases
F77   
Color: Industrial Gray   142
Color: Off-White/Beige   75
Color: Black   37
Color: Silver Gray   3
Color: True Red   3

F62   
Color: Off-White/Beige   96
Color: Industrial Gray   51
Color: Black   36
Color: True Red   7
Color: Silver Gray   1

Compact F77   
Color: Black   31
Color: Gray   13

Compact F62   
Color: Gray   19
Color: Black   19

Key Sets, Excl. Extra Sets
Keys: Regular printed key set (US/ANSI layout)   346
Keys: Black unprinted keys   54
Keys: Regular color blank keys 54
Keys: International layout 37
Keys: Use your own keys   29

Extra Key Sets
Full Base Key Set?: 103 Key Set with 6 Stabilizer Inserts:
Blank or Printed Base Set?: Printed (Pearl/Pebble Color)   19
Blank or Printed Base Set?: Blank Unprinted (Black Color)   12
Blank or Printed Base Set?: Blank (Pearl/Pebble Color)   5
Blank or Printed Base Set?: Printed (Blue Color)   1
Blank or Printed Base Set?: Printed   1
Full Base Key Set?: 103 Key Set with 6 Stabilizer Inserts Total   38

F77 Right Side Block   
Print/ScrLock/Pause/Ins/Del etc. keys, cursor keys   181
0-9 and cursor keys   87
Unconfigured default   36

Extra Bumper Type
Bumper type: 2 Large rubber bumpers (left of photo) with screw and nut plus 2 dome (middle of photo)   48
Bumper type: 2 medium bumpers with threaded stud (second photo) + 2 other pictured bumpers (please specify in the notes)   29
Bumper type: 4 square   24
Bumper type: 4 dome (middle of photo)   13
Bumper type: 2 dome (middle of photo) + 2 small cylindrical (bottom right)   13
Bumper type: 2 dome + 2 square   9
Bumper type: 2 square (top right)+2 small cylindrical (bottom right)   9
Bumper type: 4 Cork   3
Bumper type: 2 medium bumpers with threaded stud (second photo) + 2 cylindrical bumpers   1
Grand Total   149
« Last Edit: Sun, 04 June 2017, 18:52:43 by Ellipse »