Author Topic: [GB] F104+SSK+122+62+77+50+Ergo orders now open! Kishsaver+Industrial Model F  (Read 2350510 times)

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
Re: [GB] F62+F77 orders now open! New Kishsaver+Industrial Model F Keyboards
« Reply #2150 on: Sat, 09 November 2019, 17:30:48 »
The container ship has arrived in the port!  I am told it will take another 1-2 weeks for remaining steps for delivery to me.

I hope to post photos throughout the coming weeks/months and plan on taking a photo of each unique configuration to upload to the web site in the future.

great news.  What about the dye subbing?  I was/am under the impression you are going to have to open every board to dye sub the keycaps and that you still didn't have a working solution.  Isn't that going to take a long time?

Offline Ellipse

• Brand New Model F Keyboards
« Reply #2151 on: Sat, 09 November 2019, 17:46:18 »
Yes the keys will still need to be dye subbed - will be done as I do QC inspections and get orders ready to save time.  Keys for dye sub are pre-installed to plastic sheets (photos and videos posted a while back) that are drop in ready for the dye sub jig - do not need to uninstall then reinstall.  Dye subbed keys should be able to just press in to the keyboards as IBM did back in the day - no need to install each key one at a time.

My dye sub setup works but I am trying to maximize the quality and consistency.  I recently chatted again with the original IBM Model F keyboard production engineer who provided additional details on the dye sublimation specifics, to help improve my setup.  I am now working on all the digital control systems for the setup - all completely different from my current setup - after doing further research and after a conference call this week with some engineers who have designed similar modern-day systems. 

Yes it will take a long time to get all the orders out but not due to dye sublimation - more time will be spent doing QC and testing every keyboard one at a time. 

There are about 1,900 keyboards ordered and I expect to dye sub 4 key sets at one time.  Not sure yet how long each round will take.  If each round takes 15 minutes (a guess), sublimating 2000 sets would take about 125 hours.  Blank key orders are all factory installed to save time.

Offline Vizir

« Reply #2152 on: Sat, 09 November 2019, 18:24:56 »
Is there a deadline to order the dyesub keys?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #2153 on: Sat, 09 November 2019, 19:23:31 »
Still time to order dye sub keys, keyboards, and all other accessories as we are in the early bird round.  I don't have the final round deadline but it will be some time next year.

Offline Full

« Reply #2154 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 04:42:03 »
When do you expect the earlybird boards to start getting shipped?
Hi!

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #2155 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 07:18:56 »
My hope is for next month.

Offline darkcruix

« Reply #2156 on: Tue, 12 November 2019, 09:13:05 »
If I have my boards in December, I will show them in the 36th CCC convention this year with flyers where to buy the ultimate keyboard:
https://www.ccc.de/en/.
Last year I had exhibit the F107 and already talked about the Model F and New Model F.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #2157 on: Sat, 16 November 2019, 16:45:41 »
Delivery from the port to me is being scheduled this week!

I have ordered all the final shipping supplies.  Poly mailers will be wrapped around the boxes for weather protection during shipping as well as to keep the original product boxes free of shipping labels.

darkcruix I would say unfortunately not likely.  My goal is to get as many keyboards out as quickly as possible, as long as each one has been thoroughly tested and passes my QC. 

All the replacement technology and other parts for the dye sublimation setup will be arriving this week as well.  Once I set it up and get it outputting consistent sublimation results, it should take a couple weeks to print the sublimation transfer papers and then I can start mass sublimation. 

Again my apologies to all who have been waiting all this time - we are near the finish line but are still a few months away from everyone's order being delivered.

Offline skwrn

« Reply #2158 on: Sun, 17 November 2019, 08:00:22 »
@Ellipse

That's great! Thanks for the update

Offline darkcruix

« Reply #2159 on: Sun, 17 November 2019, 11:02:31 »
darkcruix I would say unfortunately not likely.  My goal is to get as many keyboards out as quickly as possible, as long as each one has been thoroughly tested and passes my QC. 
Again my apologies to all who have been waiting all this time - we are near the finish line but are still a few months away from everyone's order being delivered.

No worries - looking forward holding the results in my hand knowing it will be awesome.

Offline cicada

• Formerly iamacicada
« Reply #2160 on: Tue, 19 November 2019, 11:44:40 »
Sorry I haven't been keeping up but will all the blank keys also be made from the new tooling? All the Unicomp keys have been scrapped, am I correct Ellipse?

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #2161 on: Tue, 19 November 2019, 21:39:48 »
Below is the proposed factory default function layer for all keyboard variants.  Please let me know your feedback:

Now's the time to recommend default function layers and other xwhatsit configurations!  I will be loading the firmware and default configuration file to each keyboard during the QC process. 

230451-0

Differences for Split backspace layouts - note the Delete function suggested for two of the three keys

Correct iamacicada on the blank keys being from new molds as well.  Nonstandard color keys (no longer offered through me) and ISO Enter keys are from Unicomp (I ordered and received all of them already for the current orders, plus some extras).

Everyone can order extra parts or whole extra keyboards and their spot for everything would remain with their first order.

I am hoping we get them all out in the next 3-4 months - will be a lot of busy nights and weekends for me!
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 November 2019, 21:46:27 by Ellipse »

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #2162 on: Wed, 20 November 2019, 15:29:20 »
The keyboards have arrived!  Will post photos later.

Offline Lagomorph

« Reply #2163 on: Wed, 20 November 2019, 22:15:15 »

Trying to remain calm.  :-X

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #2164 on: Wed, 20 November 2019, 22:47:39 »
1,349 keyboards were delivered to me today!  Gross shipment weight over 12,000 pounds.

Finally after several years Brand New Model F Keyboards are in stock!

While I wait for the remaining dye sub parts to arrive I have time to start testing and mailing out all orders where stock is available (e.g. orders of keyboards with no keys or unprinted keys).  The early bird tooling volunteers and low serial numbers with available stock will be going out first. 

Also below is the first page of the small 5.5 x 8.5 in. booklet that will be included with each order (in addition to the dot matrix packing slip).  Please let me know if there are any errors or suggestions.
230477-0
230479-1
230481-2
230483-3
230485-4

Can anyone guess the significance of the booklet product number in the bottom right corner of the front page?
230475-5

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #2165 on: Wed, 20 November 2019, 23:43:23 »
Think I see mine :cool:

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline architones

« Reply #2166 on: Thu, 21 November 2019, 00:24:45 »
Wow, I'm amazed at how many boards that have been ordered. Can't wait to get mine after over 3 years of waiting!

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #2167 on: Thu, 21 November 2019, 07:24:09 »
This is nothing short of amazing.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline d00deitsnik

• Grails: SA Olivia, 1800 w/ only Latriualum keycaps
« Reply #2168 on: Thu, 21 November 2019, 07:56:33 »
Can anyone guess the significance of the booklet product number in the bottom right corner of the front page?
(Attachment Link)
I'm guessing something like the original release date of the model F? August 1981? If I'm right, do I get a prize?

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #2169 on: Sat, 23 November 2019, 10:47:32 »
There seems to be some back and forth over on the Deskthority thread regarding sending out the non-dye sublimated orders while waiting for the dye sub setup - please let me know your thoughts if you have a low serial order.

Yes that's right d00de!  The launch month and year of the original IBM PC which had a Model F keyboard.

Yes architones over 1900 keyboards have been ordered so far!

Offline zacheadams

• Friendly Neighborhood Keyboard Enthusiast
« Reply #2170 on: Sat, 23 November 2019, 12:40:10 »
I can't express how thrilled I'd be to receive my non-dyesub board as soon as it's ready, rather than having to wait for all the dyesubs to finish to get my non-dyesub board.

There seems to be some back and forth over on the Deskthority thread regarding sending out the non-dye sublimated orders while waiting for the dye sub setup - please let me know your thoughts if you have a low serial order.

Yes that's right d00de!  The launch month and year of the original IBM PC which had a Model F keyboard.

Yes architones over 1900 keyboards have been ordered so far!

Offline Mr_BeastQuake

• Reddit
« Reply #2171 on: Sat, 23 November 2019, 14:47:29 »
If shipping the orders that are ready to go doesn’t delay the “priority” orders then it would make sense to start.

The idea that someone would want Ellipse to sit on his hands while waiting for the dyesub setup so they can get their boards first is nonsensical. I do think it’s important they get priority once theirs can be shipped.

Side question, I got two emails asking to confirm shipping address. The first asked to reply if the provided address (1) wasn’t correct. The second gave me two options and said to ignore the shipping section on the first email. If I replied to the first email with the correct address already am I good?

Offline InvidiousIgnoramus

« Reply #2172 on: Sat, 23 November 2019, 15:29:25 »
This email we received: am I understanding correctly that if our shipping info is correct we don't need to reply?
I long for the day when I find a beamspring. (At a not insane price)

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #2173 on: Sat, 23 November 2019, 15:36:11 »
Mr_BeastQuake sorry for the confusion - I have replied over email that I updated both your orders' shipping addresses to the one you just provided over email.

Correct InvidiousIgnoramus

Offline atectatifern

« Reply #2174 on: Sat, 23 November 2019, 17:43:50 »
Are we supposed to have received emails? I haven't yet and got in before the first deadline back in 2015. Thanks.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #2175 on: Sat, 23 November 2019, 17:51:10 »
Yes atectatifern, though some may have ended up in the junk folder - I see you replied 1/12/17 to the email I sent you for your Feb 2016 order - I re-sent the email to you just now

Offline atectatifern

« Reply #2176 on: Sat, 23 November 2019, 17:53:22 »
Yes atectatifern, though some may have ended up in the junk folder - I see you replied 1/12/17 to the email I sent you for your Feb 2016 order - I re-sent the email to you just now
Hey, thanks so much, just got it; I thought there was a mailing that had gone out recently and wanted to make sure I was still known to the system. Appreciate your help and hard work bringing these to fruition!

Offline zacheadams

« Reply #2177 on: Sun, 24 November 2019, 09:07:06 »
I should add that I am a low-number "priority" order, so I feel even more strongly about this in my circumstance.

Shipping some boards now reduces the total number of boards to complete/ship.

If shipping the orders that are ready to go doesn’t delay the “priority” orders then it would make sense to start.

The idea that someone would want Ellipse to sit on his hands while waiting for the dyesub setup so they can get their boards first is nonsensical. I do think it’s important they get priority once theirs can be shipped.

Side question, I got two emails asking to confirm shipping address. The first asked to reply if the provided address (1) wasn’t correct. The second gave me two options and said to ignore the shipping section on the first email. If I replied to the first email with the correct address already am I good?

Offline pchatterjee

« Reply #2178 on: Sun, 24 November 2019, 12:52:03 »
great news ellipse -- really hope you keep this going.

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #2179 on: Sun, 24 November 2019, 20:31:22 »
My wife wanted to know why I'm running through the house over an email... Bless her heart

{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline helborne

« Reply #2180 on: Sun, 24 November 2019, 21:46:45 »

They'll still be getting their keyboards before the majority of us.  The overgrown children on deskthority should just be ignored. I don't care if it doesn't "sit well" with them.  Even if it did mean that my order was delayed, I think your sending out non dye sub orders first is an excellent optimization of your time.

Offline Pemdas

• (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ ᶠᶫᵒᵃᵗᶦᶰᵍ ᶫᶦᵏᵉ ᵃ ᵇᵘᵗᵗᵉʳᶠᶫʸ
« Reply #2181 on: Sun, 24 November 2019, 22:19:17 »
First off, thanks Ellipse for your hard work! Can't wait to try out the board. Glad I saved my bs artisans  :p

I'm one of the lower serial orders and I personally wouldn't mind other orders going out first due to dye sub issues.

That said, my order has only blank claps so I'm not affected by this delay so I might be biased.

My main incentive for purchasing "early bird" was to get a specific serial number not so much to be among the first to receive their board.
HHKB2 | Orion v2 | TGR-03 Proto | Octagon v2 | JD45 | BlackBird | Mira SE | Viper v2 | SX60 | E8-v1 | Alice | LZ GH v2 | No 1/65 | 910SE | Kyuu | LZ CLS ms | UNIKORN | PhysiX

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #2182 on: Thu, 28 November 2019, 15:32:56 »
Thanks all for the feedback - I will try to get many of the no printed keys orders out then.

If anyone wants to switch to no printed keys please message me.

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #2183 on: Wed, 04 December 2019, 09:25:47 »
I ordered mine with solid black keys anyway, SEND AWAY MY LORD!!!

Offline ccc24

• HHKB , Ergodox
« Reply #2184 on: Wed, 04 December 2019, 22:04:48 »
Hey Ellipse, I responded to you second email just making sure if you got it.

I was wondering if you could PM me on where I am in line for my order? I remember I was apart of the early bird round, but not sure if i'm apart of the first or second batch of boards.

Offline vewy_nice

« Reply #2185 on: Thu, 05 December 2019, 11:55:17 »
I have blank keys on my board... but have ordered printed keys separately...

I have a 7-pound package arriving via UPS tomorrow... I don't remember buying anything recently, so it's got me unreasonably excited. Could be some other board, though, I've got like 9 unfulfilled GB's right now.

I'm going to a LAN party over xmas break, it'd be an absolute dream to be able to annoy some people with this beast!

Offline zacheadams

« Reply #2186 on: Fri, 06 December 2019, 14:02:08 »
Hey Ellipse, I responded to you second email just making sure if you got it.

I was wondering if you could PM me on where I am in line for my order? I remember I was apart of the early bird round, but not sure if i'm apart of the first or second batch of boards.

p sure all of this is "first batch"

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #2188 on: Sat, 07 December 2019, 23:54:35 »
Over on DT there has been some discussion on Model F sounds:

Each new Model F keyboard will sound different, and they will also likely sound different when they are as old as the original Model F's.   

I do hope people experiment with their new Model F's and share their mods to tune the sound of their new Model F keyboards to their preferences, even if the factory sound is not 100% to your liking.  I have found that using a vice and taking a rubber mallet to adjust the bend/radius of the top inner assembly has a noticeable effect on the clickiness and reverberation of keypresses.  I successfully improved some of my original F107s with this method a few years ago.

I have done some brief experimenting with foam (putting foam inside the metal space bar tabs as a cushion and to increase tightness of the space bar, doing the same with different types of tape like electrical and plain clear tape, etc.). 

Also I think some people will even remove the inner foam entirely in order to maximize the clickiness and reverberant sounds of the Model F.  (This may have drawbacks in terms of more wobbly keys and the possibility of dust interfering with the capacitive sensing).  Currently the foam is brand new and undegraded, so it may muffle the sound more than the deteriorating inner foam of an original Model F.

Allow me to quote the project home page for a more general note on Model F sounds:  "I have many original Model F keyboards in my collection and each one sounds different.  No two sound the same or feel the same when typing!  This means that your Brand New Model F Keyboard will likely not sound or feel like your 30 year old Model F or Model M keyboard due to their loosened springs, deteriorating foam, different alloys of metal, etc.  New or little-used Model M and Model F springs and keys tend to require a little break in to loosen up the springs and keys.  Not all keys will sound perfect or all the same with buckling spring keyboards – some may sound funny but they usually keep on working."

In summary:  if you want to, the keyboard will be yours to experiment with and adjust both on the software and on the hardware side to get the best configuration and sound.

And yes ccc24 I received and replied to your email - thanks
« Last Edit: Sun, 08 December 2019, 09:58:24 by Ellipse »

Offline Jhambone9160

« Reply #2189 on: Sun, 08 December 2019, 13:56:37 »
So if I order one of these now the board I ordered will be in stock (and eventually shipped based on order #) or will need to be manufactured?

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #2190 on: Sun, 08 December 2019, 14:05:14 »
Correct.  As a note, more than half the keyboards were delivered, while the remaining keyboards will be delivered early next year.  I have ordered extras so you can still order this month and be a part of the early bird round.

Offline Jhambone9160

« Reply #2191 on: Sun, 08 December 2019, 16:14:19 »
Correct.  As a note, more than half the keyboards were delivered, while the remaining keyboards will be delivered early next year.  I have ordered extras so you can still order this month and be a part of the early bird round.

Perfect. Thanks you. Cheers!

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #2192 on: Sun, 08 December 2019, 21:47:56 »
I have never wanted to see an email pop up so bad in my LIFE!!!

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #2193 on: Mon, 09 December 2019, 23:28:00 »
Serial numbers have been assigned!  Check the attached file.  Of course all personal info has been removed - for privacy reasons only the order numbers are included (custom production dates have been noted - no need to reconfirm with me - but I am not including them in the file for privacy reasons).  Of course all numbers are subject to change / not guaranteed to match this file.

Important - no serial number changes allowed, even for low serial buyers!  The only serial change still allowed is by ordering the low serial add on item (then you can pick any available serial number).  I have purposely left many of the lower numbers reserved for the final round low serial project supporters.

As a reminder the order of keyboard shipping will remain single digit serials, early bird tooling/custom and low serials, and all remaining orders.  The order within each of these 3 groups is based on order date (earliest first) and parts availability (e.g. orders without printed keys and those ordering unprinted keys and paying for separate shipping of printed keys).

Dye sub update:  I finally completed the dye sub control panel last week but had two sensors from the dye sub control panel fail to work (DOA) so I need to double check with some manufacturers of components in the control panel.  I have some alternative parts under consideration and hope to resolve it this week.
« Last Edit: Tue, 10 December 2019, 15:35:15 by Ellipse »

Offline vewy_nice

« Reply #2194 on: Wed, 11 December 2019, 09:05:54 »
What? Nobody requested S/N 69420?

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #2195 on: Thu, 12 December 2019, 21:07:58 »
NOW SHIPPING!

The very first Brand New Model F Keyboard is shipping!

A Classic Case F62 in Black with HHKB Style Split Right Shift and Split Backspace, serial number 5, going to a forum member who picked the single digit serial option and was also an early bird tooling volunteer.

Lots of photos are below.  Here are some descriptions of the photos.
Production boxes - shown without tape, with fiber reinforced gummed paper tape applied to both box flaps, and with the final IBM-style box sticker denoting the serial number, production date, plant number, and containing a working Code 39 barcode (same tech IBM used) encoded with the text displayed below the barcode. 

The actual first keyboard - described above.  Extra keys to make up the full 103 key set are included in the two plastic bags.

The alignment of the keyboard label, using a carpenter's square.  The label is positioned the same way IBM positioned it for the 4704 keyboards - if you lift the spacebar-side edge up while the keyboard is on your desk, the label will be right side up.

The foam keyboard packaging, sealed with fiber reinforced tape as IBM did back in the day.  Note that the Brand New Model F Keyboards tape has not yet yellowed as IBM's keyboards have done (after a few decades!)

The keyboard booklet ("Keyboard Operator's Guide" per IBM nomenclature), printed on color paper like many 1980s pamphlets and containing safety information and other important information.

The order packing slip printed on vintage continuous form, tractor feed, green bar computer paper with a dot matrix printer.  Names and addresses have been blocked out for privacy reasons, and the second page was removed for ease of viewing the photo.

231782-0
231784-1
231786-2
231788-3
231790-4
231792-5
231794-6
231796-7
231798-8
231800-9
231802-10
231804-11
231806-12

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #2196 on: Thu, 12 December 2019, 21:13:14 »
that's my board... BOUT TO WAKE UP MY WHOLE NEIGHBORHOOD!!!

edit: well I believe that's mine xD... I could be wrong  :p

nvm, it's mine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:
« Last Edit: Thu, 12 December 2019, 22:30:36 by ApocalypseMaow »

Offline darkcruix

« Reply #2197 on: Fri, 13 December 2019, 01:28:26 »
YES YES YES !!!! Wonderful NEWS ... What a beautiful one

Offline jkp1187

« Reply #2198 on: Fri, 13 December 2019, 07:39:55 »
Best group buy in history....  ;)

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #2199 on: Fri, 13 December 2019, 09:39:50 »
Godspeed that board to the grateful owner.