Author Topic: [GB] F104+SSK+122+62+77+50+Ergo orders now open! Kishsaver+Industrial Model F  (Read 2338209 times)

Offline d00deitsnik

• Grails: SA Olivia, 1800 w/ only Latriualum keycaps
Re: [GB] F62+F77 orders now open! New Kishsaver+Industrial Model F Keyboards
« Reply #2200 on: Fri, 13 December 2019, 14:02:09 »
That's a pretty magical moment. I'm so excited~

Offline zacheadams

• Friendly Neighborhood Keyboard Enthusiast
« Reply #2201 on: Sat, 14 December 2019, 07:21:05 »
I appear to be up soon, I am very amply prepared for my board photos

231864-0

Offline Ellipse

• Brand New Model F Keyboards
« Reply #2202 on: Sat, 14 December 2019, 22:48:55 »
That's a nice lens!  What's the model?  I have been using the Nikkor 24-70 f/2.8G ED and the Nikkor 80-200 f/2.8 AF-D (gen 2) for Model F photos (D800E body).

3 more Brand New Model F keyboards are shipping!  (As always you were emailed if yours is shipping)

Notes on the photos:
Please note the black electrical tape around the space bar stabilizer wire, in the area where it contacts the metal tabs.  This has significantly improved the space bar sound in my testing and has reduced the metal-on-metal rattling present on some new Model F's.  So far I have been adding this tape to each keyboard that would benefit from it.  Also I push down the tops of the space bar tabs a bit to help reduce space bar movement and improve stability of the key.  Be careful when removing the space bar (be sure to push the metal stabilizer wire out of each tab one tab at a time to push up the tab a little so that you do not force out the space bar).

231901-0
231903-1
231905-2
231907-3
231909-4
231911-5
231913-6
231915-7
231917-8
231919-9
231921-10
231923-11
231925-12
231927-13

Offline euphxenos

« Reply #2203 on: Sat, 14 December 2019, 23:49:44 »
So now that you've done a few, how long does it take you to do the QC for each board and get it ready to ship?

Offline zacheadams

« Reply #2204 on: Sun, 15 December 2019, 07:46:57 »
That's a nice lens!  What's the model?

It's the oddly named Nikon Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4 AF-D Macro lens, a fairly long macro, mounted on a WeMacro automated focusing rail.  I mount my Z7 on the back and can take tens or hundreds of photos as needed and stack them together.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #2205 on: Sun, 15 December 2019, 15:37:49 »
Geekhack Man of the Decade

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #2206 on: Tue, 17 December 2019, 16:40:29 »
it's here and it's everything I've dreamed it would be!!! PRAISE Ellipse!!!
{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #2207 on: Tue, 17 December 2019, 17:08:19 »

****ing awesome

Offline nickheller

• Cherry ML life
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2208 on: Tue, 17 December 2019, 18:43:09 »

pics pls

Offline zacheadams

« Reply #2209 on: Tue, 17 December 2019, 22:13:17 »
Pics pls!  I'm sadly going to be out of town when mine is delivered this week (don't worry, it's going to my workplace, so someone will be there to get it), but will have pics for y'all by next weekend IF YOU CAN WAIT THAT LONG.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #2210 on: Tue, 17 December 2019, 22:27:01 »
Some more photos from the past few days of keyboard shipments:

232051-0
232053-1
232055-2
232057-3
232059-4
232061-5
232063-6
232065-7
232067-8
232069-9
232071-10
232073-11
232075-12

Offline macclack

• Macclack
« Reply #2211 on: Tue, 17 December 2019, 23:15:13 »
Looking great. Is there some curvature to the spacebars? Looks that way from the photos.

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #2212 on: Tue, 17 December 2019, 23:36:59 »
Ignore my piss poor lighting and dirty office  ;D
{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #2213 on: Tue, 17 December 2019, 23:47:04 »
Ignore my piss poor lighting and dirty office  ;D
Show Image

OMG IN THE WILD, THIS IS AMAZING. Congratulations Ellipse and ApocalypseMaow what has it been, 4 years? To see one in the wild what an achievement. You have worked magic Ellipse to get to this point, you have my respect and gratitude.

Now I will sit here and patiently wait on number 334 I believe. I better get into the garage and find those F107 keys I have somewhere.

Ladies and gentlemen, I am speechless.

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #2214 on: Wed, 18 December 2019, 04:39:57 »

"Your order has shipped", the greatest feeling in the world.

Much love

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #2215 on: Fri, 20 December 2019, 00:30:13 »
Can't wait to get mine!  It will be an EPIC DAY when my order shows up at my doorstep. 

Never got my GH60s I ordered...but THIS is coming to fruition!!  GREAT JOB!  I think I need to start the iMav keyboard community Hall of Fame...guess who would be the founding member?  :)

Offline RocketGruntJake

• Brb, gotta grow some flowers
« Reply #2216 on: Fri, 20 December 2019, 08:53:34 »
It has arrived!
Better than I ever thought it could be. Threw on some Model F XT alpha keys and took this quick shot.
The color match to the original Model F keys is so good that when I mixed some of the originals with the blanks I had to look at the faces of each key to see if it was a printed one!

232136-0

Offline euphxenos

« Reply #2217 on: Fri, 20 December 2019, 13:34:55 »
Ellipse,

It's now been a month since you received the shipment.  How many keyboards have been shipped so far?  How long is it taking to get each keyboard ready?  Are you working on fulfilling this group buy full time, or is this something you're doing in your off hours?  Have you been able to resolve the dye sub problems you mentioned on 12/9/19?

Offline Mr_BeastQuake

• Reddit
« Reply #2218 on: Fri, 20 December 2019, 16:12:17 »
WHAT’S YOUR SOCIAL SECURITY #, HOME ADDRESS AND RELATIONSHIP STATUS?

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #2219 on: Fri, 20 December 2019, 16:33:45 »
euphxenos the time consuming parts over the past month involve preparations to ship - determining which keyboards shipped to me, which box has which keyboard in it (factory will be improving how they do this for the second shipment of the early bird round), which orders can ship out (based on available inventory and the ability to fulfill someone's entire order), assigning serial numbers and determining shipping order, confirming 2,000 mailing addresses (had to send it twice because of mail delivery issues on my server - many of first emails ended up in people's junk folders), updating hundreds of order change requests and additions (making sure the additions are combined with the first orders and go to the right person when their name, address, or email are different).  Also perfecting the technical aspects of order fulfillment - getting thermal labels and dot matrix packing slips to print correctly, solving technical issues with UPS, etc.

Despite detailed assembly guidelines and testing guidelines it appears that the factory did not do enough thorough testing of assembled keyboards, so I am making sure that the second batch of the first round has better QC.  This has resulted in extra needed QC time for each one.  Some keys have mis-assembled springs and space bars that do not work well out of the box.

The quality control process involves more than 30 steps per keyboard.  13 have shipped so far.  It takes at least an hour for each one as many of the QC corrections are being encountered for the first time and I am programming each of the standard layouts.  Should take less time when I know exactly how to fix each issue.  This is part time for me.

Still working on the dye sub.  It has taken much longer for both QC and dye sub.  Today I was able to fix the final part of the dye sub control system and it appears to be working now - I will be able to continue the dye sub testing with actual keys now.  One of the DC power supplies had to be swapped from a medical grade switching power supply to a linear/constant/regulated power supply.

Again for everyone I will reiterate that each keyboard will only go out after my QC process and the keyboards will take as long as they need to be done the right way.  My current expectation is about six months more for all prior orders.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #2220 on: Fri, 20 December 2019, 17:35:35 »
euphxenos the time consuming parts over the past month involve preparations to ship - determining which keyboards shipped to me, which box has which keyboard in it (factory will be improving how they do this for the second shipment of the early bird round), which orders can ship out (based on available inventory and the ability to fulfill someone's entire order), assigning serial numbers and determining shipping order, confirming 2,000 mailing addresses (had to send it twice because of mail delivery issues on my server - many of first emails ended up in people's junk folders), updating hundreds of order change requests and additions (making sure the additions are combined with the first orders and go to the right person when their name, address, or email are different).  Also perfecting the technical aspects of order fulfillment - getting thermal labels and dot matrix packing slips to print correctly, solving technical issues with UPS, etc.

Despite detailed assembly guidelines and testing guidelines it appears that the factory did not do enough thorough testing of assembled keyboards, so I am making sure that the second batch of the first round has better QC.  This has resulted in extra needed QC time for each one.  Some keys have mis-assembled springs and space bars that do not work well out of the box.

The quality control process involves more than 30 steps per keyboard.  13 have shipped so far.  It takes at least an hour for each one as many of the QC corrections are being encountered for the first time and I am programming each of the standard layouts.  Should take less time when I know exactly how to fix each issue.  This is part time for me.

Still working on the dye sub.  It has taken much longer for both QC and dye sub.  Today I was able to fix the final part of the dye sub control system and it appears to be working now - I will be able to continue the dye sub testing with actual keys now.  One of the DC power supplies had to be swapped from a medical grade switching power supply to a linear/constant/regulated power supply.

Again for everyone I will reiterate that each keyboard will only go out after my QC process and the keyboards will take as long as they need to be done the right way.  My current expectation is about six months more for all prior orders.

Thanks for taking the time to QC these before sending them out. It would be a real bummer to receive one after so long and have to troubleshoot it.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline bun

« Reply #2221 on: Fri, 20 December 2019, 19:20:18 »

I can't speak for others but I really appreciate this.

Personally, i'm a big fan of buying (and waiting for) quality, so i'm more than happy to wait to make sure it's done right.

My order number is #5520 and knowing that ellipse is doing QA for each and every one of these 5000+ individual orders is something really special in this age of mass produced disposable crap.

I'm happy to wait as long as is necessary.

Keep being awesome Ellipse, I appreciate your dedication to doing this right :thumb:

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #2222 on: Fri, 20 December 2019, 19:49:58 »
Thanks for the kind words. 

Today's update - Notch's keyboard is shipping!  He ordered serial 1 of the Classic Case F77.  Of course Notch's personal information was erased from the photo of his invoice.

232178-0
232180-1
232182-2
232184-3
232186-4

Offline Vizir

« Reply #2223 on: Sat, 21 December 2019, 00:34:53 »

Today's update - Notch's keyboard is shipping!  He ordered serial 1 of the Classic Case F77.  Of course Notch's personal information was erased from the photo of his invoice.

(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
Haha nice! He knows what's up.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Offline d00deitsnik

« Reply #2224 on: Sat, 21 December 2019, 00:50:18 »

(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

Speaking of Notch.. His secret shows during GDC were super cool. But 5000+ orders. That's a lot. Thank you for taking the time to QC everything properly and for all the work you've put into this project. I'm so excited to receive mine! I feel like a kid on his way to Disneyland.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #2225 on: Sat, 21 December 2019, 02:08:14 »

(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

That's the one I wanted to order!

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #2226 on: Sat, 21 December 2019, 13:10:02 »
Ellipse, I have full confidence in you.  Thank you for all your hard work on this project.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline cicada

• Formerly iamacicada
« Reply #2227 on: Sun, 22 December 2019, 07:39:49 »

(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

Speaking of Notch.. His secret shows during GDC were super cool. But 5000+ orders. That's a lot. Thank you for taking the time to QC everything properly and for all the work you've put into this project. I'm so excited to receive mine! I feel like a kid on his way to Disneyland.

Are there actually 5000+ orders? Because I think there are only a total of 1900 keyboards and my order #4500 was from 2017.

Offline d00deitsnik

« Reply #2228 on: Sun, 22 December 2019, 11:24:04 »

I can't speak for others but I really appreciate this.

Personally, i'm a big fan of buying (and waiting for) quality, so i'm more than happy to wait to make sure it's done right.

My order number is #5520 and knowing that ellipse is doing QA for each and every one of these 5000+ individual orders is something really special in this age of mass produced disposable crap.

I'm happy to wait as long as is necessary.

Keep being awesome Ellipse, I appreciate your dedication to doing this right :thumb:

More

(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

Are there actually 5000+ orders? Because I think there are only a total of 1900 keyboards and my order #4500 was from 2017.
I out that cuz I read bun's post lol

Offline Kavik

« Reply #2229 on: Mon, 23 December 2019, 10:04:44 »

(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

According to the website and serial number spreadsheet, there are somewhere between 1700 and 1937 keyboards.

Offline keyboardbelle

« Reply #2230 on: Mon, 23 December 2019, 10:37:44 »
This is one of my favorite retro keyboard aesthetically.

I'm on my third 3D printed 60% case design based on the same aesthetics.

There's something appealing about the scooped front and partial rounded bezel - even if you aren't after buckling spring switches.

Nice to see them back again, even on eBay it's rare to find one for sale.

I ❤️ 3D Printed Cases ⌨️ Keyboardbelle.com ⌨️

Offline parkedr

« Reply #2231 on: Tue, 24 December 2019, 08:45:14 »
I love your designs, very cool stuff.

This is one of my favorite retro keyboard aesthetically.

I'm on my third 3D printed 60% case design based on the same aesthetics.

There's something appealing about the scooped front and partial rounded bezel - even if you aren't after buckling spring switches.

Nice to see them back again, even on eBay it's rare to find one for sale.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #2232 on: Tue, 24 December 2019, 11:19:30 »
The first ISO Model F went out last week - this one had the 1U+1.75U split right shift, which is built in to all ANSI and ISO F62/F77 keyboards.
232353-0
232355-1

Offline macclack

• Macclack
« Reply #2233 on: Tue, 24 December 2019, 15:42:05 »
I'm starting to think I should have gone with blanks. They look great!

Offline Playtrumpet

« Reply #2234 on: Wed, 25 December 2019, 08:10:26 »
The blanks do look great, I'm dying to see some of those blue keycaps. =)
Dvorak

Offline smt

• I like keyboards
    • smt.io
« Reply #2235 on: Fri, 27 December 2019, 12:39:16 »
I agree about the blanks, Notch's (SN #1) board looks fantastic. I sent an email inquiring about switching my order to legendless caps.
HHKB Pro 2 | FC660C | Clueboards | MOD-M Custom | MiniVan | Preonic | Planck | Let's Split | Anne Pro | WASD CODE TKL

Offline Pemdas

• (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ ᶠᶫᵒᵃᵗᶦᶰᵍ ᶫᶦᵏᵉ ᵃ ᵇᵘᵗᵗᵉʳᶠᶫʸ
« Reply #2236 on: Fri, 27 December 2019, 21:23:02 »

Model F62 #13 by thosepeoples, on Flickr

Just shy of 3 years and it has arrived :thumb:

Thanks Ellipse for your work!

Pretty glad I couldn't find a buyer when I was trying to sell my spot. Pretty much all my boards nowadays are linears or tactiles so having a "loud" board back in the rotation is a lot of fun :p

Going two tone right now as the beige case has the serial number on it :cool:
More
HHKB2 | Orion v2 | TGR-03 Proto | Octagon v2 | JD45 | BlackBird | Mira SE | Viper v2 | SX60 | E8-v1 | Alice | LZ GH v2 | No 1/65 | 910SE | Kyuu | LZ CLS ms | UNIKORN | PhysiX

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2237 on: Fri, 27 December 2019, 22:10:10 »
Ho, boi.  That black F62 looks AMAZING

Offline zacheadams

« Reply #2238 on: Sat, 28 December 2019, 10:13:11 »
232477-0

more to come

232501-1
« Last Edit: Sun, 29 December 2019, 06:55:41 by zacheadams »

Offline Kavik

« Reply #2239 on: Sun, 29 December 2019, 12:31:31 »
(Attachment Link)

more to come

(Attachment Link)

Hot damn, the anodizing on the compact case looks great. It almost looks like a powder coat. I'll have a similar setup for my F77, so it's nice to see that it looks so good. I wish I had ordered the HHKB split right shift though.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #2240 on: Sun, 29 December 2019, 16:10:45 »
Any previews/updates of how the dye sub is going?

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Offline zacheadams

« Reply #2241 on: Wed, 01 January 2020, 09:10:04 »
Typing sounds

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2242 on: Wed, 01 January 2020, 12:19:52 »
wonderfully musical.  It resonates just slightly above concert D!
« Last Edit: Wed, 01 January 2020, 12:30:08 by pixelpusher »

Offline Bookman3

« Reply #2243 on: Thu, 02 January 2020, 21:34:52 »
I saw 4-5k orders mentioned a bit back in the thread (mid December maybe), but got an order number well over 10k. Has this blown up that much in 2-3 weeks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline zacheadams

« Reply #2244 on: Fri, 03 January 2020, 06:52:18 »
I saw 4-5k orders mentioned a bit back in the thread (mid December maybe), but got an order number well over 10k. Has this blown up that much in 2-3 weeks?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This has been discussed, the Order Number does not correspond directly to the total number of orders.  The latter is somewhere around 2000.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #2245 on: Fri, 03 January 2020, 15:53:00 »
Yes correct.  Not every order number is populated in what the web site is running.

A brief discussion on the importance of testing the Model F after you get it but before you start using it on your main computer:
Even though there is strong protective packaging, Model F springs are often dislodged during shipping which can result in a bad click sound or no click at all, and keys (and sometimes springs) may need to be reseated. I have found that carefully removing and flipping the spring upside down can fix most spring issues, and replacing the spring with another spring is a last resort.

8 more keyboards went out today, bringing the total to 25 so far.

Based on the current variations shipped in the first shipment last year, black keys will no longer be able to ship early (most of them are in the second batch arriving in a couple months). There are many pearl/pebble unprinted sets for most variations in the first shipment (happy to switch you to the standard colors key set if needed).

232993-0
232995-1
232997-2
232999-3
233001-4

Offline h

« Reply #2246 on: Sat, 04 January 2020, 15:15:53 »
Honestly, I had very high hopes for this keyboard. Today it came in and I was very excited-- the build quality is phenomenal and the board is put together very well. Usage however is where the keyboard begins to fall apart. Straight off the bat trying to configure the keyboard using the ibm-capsense-usb-util application took longer than it should have, I had to run the application as sudo (which took some time as the layout was different than what I was used to) After getting the configuration application to run, I noticed that typing felt very off. Trying to do some tests I noticed more than a ton was off, here's an example of some messages I attempted to type

[3:22 PM]haze:ands ome kes dont work
[3:22 PM]haze:likes ome dont activate
[3:23 PM]haze:do ous eeh ow im ****ing up
[3:23 PM]haze:eaeh
[3:23 PM]haze:eaeyyeaeh

I'd like to point out that the last two messages should have been 'yeah' and 'yeahyeah' respectively. The spaces were pressed in the right order but are either delayed or sent before other keys, plus the y key is very finicky and didn't activate half the time.

This is the board stock out of the box with no changes other than remapping caps lock to escape. If anybody knows about this issue where some keys fail to activate (I've tried tinkering with the voltage setting, nothing seems to work) please let me know. Until then, I have to sit it on my shelf because it's unusable for my work.
« Last Edit: Sat, 04 January 2020, 15:17:32 by h »

Offline darkcruix

« Reply #2247 on: Sat, 04 January 2020, 16:34:10 »
Sorry to hear you have issues with the keyboard.
What I have had in the past was a warming-up phase, where it required the keyboard to literally "warm up". Honestly, only when it had the full ambient temperature it worked properly.
Next, it seems you have some weird "ghosting" going on. I'd re-seat some of the keys, like the space and Y etc.

I also think Ellipse is using the patched firmware with the better debounce filter. This did a lot for me! I guess you have not overwritten the existing firmware. The one that can be downloaded is un-patched.
Set the voltage as low as you can and then increase it slowly. A good starting point is 100. I also assume Ellipse is ignoring potential free spots in the columns.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #2248 on: Sat, 04 January 2020, 17:33:57 »
Sorry h to hear about the xwhatsit controller issues.  Fortunately these longstanding issues were addressed a few years back with a firmware update, but I did not set the correct settings for some of the first new boards that went out.

The extra typed characters is a result of the debounce filter as well as the voltage threshold. 

Agreed that the keyboard needs to reach room temperature and should be unplugged and plugged back in after warming up.

First I would flash the alternative debounce filter threshold 6 (uploaded in the below link).  In some of the keyboards I flashed threshold 11 which turned out to be not enough to prevent the extra characters.

Then I would set the voltage threshold to 126 for any F62 and 122 for any F77.  Click store to EEPROM (auto-voltage does not work for some reason).  Then set column skips 9 to 15 for F62 and 11 to 15 for the F77.  Click store to EEPROM. 

Link to layout files and updated firmware: https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/code/

Offline h

« Reply #2249 on: Sat, 04 January 2020, 20:15:02 »
Sorry h to hear about the xwhatsit controller issues.  Fortunately these longstanding issues were addressed a few years back with a firmware update, but I did not set the correct settings for some of the first new boards that went out.

The extra typed characters is a result of the debounce filter as well as the voltage threshold. 

Agreed that the keyboard needs to reach room temperature and should be unplugged and plugged back in after warming up.

First I would flash the alternative debounce filter threshold 6 (uploaded in the below link).  In some of the keyboards I flashed threshold 11 which turned out to be not enough to prevent the extra characters.

Then I would set the voltage threshold to 126 for any F62 and 122 for any F77.  Click store to EEPROM (auto-voltage does not work for some reason).  Then set column skips 9 to 15 for F62 and 11 to 15 for the F77.  Click store to EEPROM. 

Link to layout files and updated firmware: https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/code/

Thanks so much for this information, I've followed all the steps and it seems to have fixed my issue. To anyone reading this in the future: you may need to install the atmega usb driver for FLIP (which is found in the installation folder, then under usb). After that, load the hex into FLIP and hit run. I did have an issue with the board being stuck in DFU mode but I just had to switch which USB port it was plugged into and it worked fine. I typed this entire message on the model F with 0 issues, and with my custom layout! Applause from me!

Godspeed,
h