Author Topic: [IC] XDA Oblique (GB live!)  (Read 169357 times)

Offline nguyenhimself

Re: [IC] XDA Oblique (awaiting samples)
« Reply #300 on: Tue, 01 May 2018, 09:56:16 »
It's coming and so am I!  :-[
Just realized that this will be the first XDA set with Japanese sublegends. That alone could maybe draw in some extra folks.

Offline saucybulgogi

« Reply #301 on: Tue, 01 May 2018, 10:07:02 »
Looking good to me so far! Ready to drop some cash on this for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline DasGnome

« Reply #302 on: Tue, 01 May 2018, 10:34:08 »
Just realized that this will be the first XDA set with Japanese sublegends. That alone could maybe draw in some extra folks.

Nope. XDA Milestone w/ Sakura happened a while ago.

Offline captaincalamari

« Reply #303 on: Tue, 01 May 2018, 14:27:56 »

sorry this is unrelated but are you saucybulgogi from reddit? you still working on that m0110 pcb? thinking this set might look good on one.

Offline nguyenhimself

« Reply #304 on: Tue, 01 May 2018, 21:02:25 »

Oh right, XDA Milestone, I keep forgetting that set exists. Thanks.

Offline dr_derivative

• Not a real doctor
« Reply #305 on: Wed, 02 May 2018, 11:29:15 »

Sorry these are a day later than promised.

Here are some more pictures

Comparison with an AEK

Some tweaks need to me made to the font placement and line width, but overall I'm very happy with how these turned out. The colour is not matched to the AEK, these are just printed on some spare caps in XDA's stock light grey colour.

The groupbuy is expected to run in June through zFrontier, MyKeyboard.eu, Dixie Mech, and MechKeys.ca. Pricing has not been finalised yet but based on the manufacturer's quotes we are looking at some great prices, even compared to other XDA groupbuys.
GH/Reddit/DT: dr_derivative | Discord: dr_derivative#3618 | IG: dr_derivative_mk
MK Ireland Discord: https://discord.gg/2KdxJzR

Offline _ODIN_

« Reply #306 on: Wed, 02 May 2018, 12:06:59 »
Show Image

Comparison with an AEK

Some tweaks need to me made to the font placement and line width, but overall I'm very happy with how these turned out. The colour is not matched to the AEK, these are just printed on some spare caps in XDA's stock light grey colour.

The groupbuy is expected to run in June through zFrontier, MyKeyboard.eu, Dixie Mech, and MechKeys.ca. Pricing has not been finalised yet but based on the manufacturer's quotes we are looking at some great prices, even compared to other XDA groupbuys.
Count me in

Offline dr-slump

Re: [IC] XDA Oblique (samples arrived)
« Reply #307 on: Wed, 02 May 2018, 12:21:57 »
The set looks awesome!!! The quality seems to be  :thumb:

I do need at least 2!  ;)

Thanks for organizing a European proxy !!!!
Waiting for GMK Miami Dolch ISO . . .

Looking for: Titainium Spacebar 6.25

Offline saucybulgogi

« Reply #308 on: Wed, 02 May 2018, 12:47:38 »

sorry this is unrelated but are you saucybulgogi from reddit? you still working on that m0110 pcb? thinking this set might look good on one.

Yeah that’s me. I haven’t sat down to work on it in a long time. :( I want to get back to working on it but don’t wanna make any promises.

Offline Krastoff

« Reply #309 on: Wed, 02 May 2018, 13:06:15 »
The samples are looking good! Any chance we'll be seeing samples of the accents?

Offline The_judge_168

« Reply #310 on: Wed, 02 May 2018, 13:18:25 »
Samples look good, not really a fan of XDA but might have to become one for this set

Offline Thats to big

« Reply #311 on: Wed, 02 May 2018, 13:51:02 »
That's look great.

Do you have time to take some pictures of a keeb with katakana alphas?

Offline Zuology

• Why does this rabbit-hole have so many side-quests
« Reply #312 on: Wed, 02 May 2018, 16:28:11 »
Show Image

Comparison with an AEK

The samples look AWESOME. I don't mind the weight/thickness of the legends as shown, but I'm not an Apple purist (or even an Apple fan at all TBH), but I like the aesthetic of this look on XDA. Glad you are working with Dixie Mech for the USA, who has a good rep for how he has run past GBs/proxies.
More
75%: Scarlet Bandana (TBD) | Singa75 Polycarb (TBD) | SKB75 (TBD) | YMD75 (Box Navy) | XD84 (Outemu Ice) | Plum84 (BKE Redux Heavy)
TKL: ALF X1.1 SE (TBD) | LZ Iron White (TBD) | Fox Labs Orange (TBD) | Alu WASDv2 (Cherry Green) | MechkeyAlpha MA87 (Kailh Box Burnt Orange) | Archon RE:AL Superior EX (Nopre 65g)
Full+: Clueboard Double 1800 (Vint Clears) | IBM Model M | IBM Model F XT

Offline captaincalamari

« Reply #313 on: Wed, 02 May 2018, 16:32:41 »

Yeah that’s me. I haven’t sat down to work on it in a long time. :( I want to get back to working on it but don’t wanna make any promises.

no worries, just wanted to make sure. will definitely keep an eye out for if it ever comes, thanks!

Offline dr_derivative

• Not a real doctor
« Reply #314 on: Wed, 02 May 2018, 16:43:59 »

Oh right, XDA Milestone, I keep forgetting that set exists. Thanks.

Not the first Japanese XDA set, but it is the first XDA set with katakana. Most Japanese sublegends are hiragana since that's what's commonly used on Japanese keyboards these days. Older keyboards like AEKs used katakana though. AFAIK the only other keyset with katakana is DSA Otaku which had both available.

The samples are looking good! Any chance we'll be seeing samples of the accents?

Not before the GB.

That's look great.

Do you have time to take some pictures of a keeb with katakana alphas?

I might take some tomorrow ;D
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 May 2018, 05:56:36 by dr_derivative »
GH/Reddit/DT: dr_derivative | Discord: dr_derivative#3618 | IG: dr_derivative_mk

Offline thelaughingman

• Simultaneously the most starry-eyed idealist and t
« Reply #315 on: Wed, 02 May 2018, 19:13:01 »
Some tweaks need to me made to the font placement and line width, but overall I'm very happy with how these turned out.

Exactly how I feel about the sample when I saw the comparison shots with original AEK keycaps

WOO, nice  :thumb:

Offline ihalatch

« Reply #316 on: Wed, 02 May 2018, 21:01:57 »
Please, reduce the line thickness. The original legends are a slightly bigger size too. Looks great anyway.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #317 on: Wed, 02 May 2018, 21:02:54 »
Please, reduce the line thickness. Looks great anyway.

Pretty much my only desire.

Offline hahihuhei

« Reply #318 on: Wed, 02 May 2018, 22:07:55 »
Please, reduce the line thickness. Looks great anyway.

Pretty much my only desire.
Same here.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline RinSama269

« Reply #319 on: Wed, 02 May 2018, 22:35:02 »
Hope it not to late to add keys  to a minila air layout specially the 3u space bar and the 5.5u spacebar for noppo/ niz 84 keyboards. I have seen that only the xda profile from several groupbuys got these sizes..

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #320 on: Wed, 02 May 2018, 22:50:10 »
Line thickness is just perfect, don't mess with it.

Thinner line is prone to sublimating quality defects and would look like gray and not black.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #321 on: Wed, 02 May 2018, 23:06:40 »

Thinner line is prone to sublimating quality defects and would look like gray and not black.

agree
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline ihalatch

« Reply #322 on: Wed, 02 May 2018, 23:13:56 »
I'm just concerned with the looks of 4, 6, 8 and 9 with thicker lines.

Offline gutsack

« Reply #323 on: Wed, 02 May 2018, 23:14:07 »

I like the thickness of the alphas but the sublegends (like print screen and alt) look bolder and wrong to me.

Offline M

« Reply #324 on: Wed, 02 May 2018, 23:30:27 »

Just makes me that much more excited for this set, samples look amazing btw

Offline Krastoff

« Reply #325 on: Thu, 03 May 2018, 02:25:00 »
To me it looks like the issue with the thickness of the mods legends like "alt", "pause" etc is not that they're thicker/bolder, it's that they're in a smaller font size printed using the same line thickness (or similar) as the larger font sizes. The "alt" does look a little cramped, but not a problem to me. Overall, it makes the set looks uniform.

Offline kamisamamizu

« Reply #326 on: Thu, 03 May 2018, 02:52:48 »

I agree, comparing it to the AEK2 legends, it looks better this way.

Offline nguyenhimself

« Reply #327 on: Thu, 03 May 2018, 12:03:17 »
I think the font widthness is fine EXCEPT for the various sub legends like "print screen" and "pause". Those look too thick and slightly blurry, as you can see in the first pic below.

If we are to keep the thickness, maybe some extra kerning could help with readability?

Also, June is the earliest start date? 🙁 Anyone knows how long an XDA set usually takes to manufacture?

« Last Edit: Thu, 03 May 2018, 20:30:30 by nguyenhimself »

Offline arsenic

« Reply #328 on: Thu, 03 May 2018, 13:31:36 »
While I'm obviously gonna buy this no matter what- I am also in the camp of adding a little extra tracking to the modifiers/other keys with text. The samples  actually have really similar kerning to the aek font, but since the font you're using is a heavier weight, it might give it a little more space and feel less heavy and condensed.

Offline kennardsmith

« Reply #329 on: Thu, 03 May 2018, 17:43:43 »
I am not a fan of typing on DSA/XDA but i'll need to buy a set just to decorate a keyboard. These look so good!
[Control] is just left side of [A]. It comes from Sun Type3 key layout.

Offline meniscus-

« Reply #330 on: Thu, 03 May 2018, 23:22:55 »
Is there a list of the keywidths for each key anywhere?
Anything larger than a 65% is extraneous!

Offline .

« Reply #331 on: Fri, 04 May 2018, 05:42:40 »
Very excited for this set because of the convex spacebars and great compatibility! Great job :thumb:

Even did a small 'render' of it on my Vortex Core:
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 May 2018, 05:44:17 by . »

Offline kamisamamizu

« Reply #332 on: Fri, 04 May 2018, 05:47:20 »

Show Image

Looking at this picture, I see how the line thickness might be a little too much for the small lettered legends.
Maybe adding a little space between the keys or making only the small lettering a little narrower might fix it.

Offline Thats to big

« Reply #333 on: Fri, 04 May 2018, 06:36:57 »
Is there a list of the keywidths for each key anywhere?

For the modifiers it should be like that:

https://goo.gl/kVrP7X

And the rest (accents, compatibility…) it's written next to the keys, like that:

And do you plan on having a 1.5u esc key in the compatibility for 3ace users? (so not me), since there are already two in the ergodox kit.
« Last Edit: Sun, 06 May 2018, 08:15:20 by Thats to big »

Offline Allo

« Reply #334 on: Fri, 04 May 2018, 14:34:25 »
Could we see the samples on a 60%/TKL?

Offline E_rik

« Reply #335 on: Sat, 05 May 2018, 05:10:23 »
Does anyone know if a beige plastic 60% case exists?

Offline E_rik

« Reply #336 on: Sat, 05 May 2018, 07:29:18 »

Offline Origami_Rabbit

« Reply #337 on: Sat, 05 May 2018, 16:17:20 »
This would be great:

Show Image

Source: https://makerware.thingiverse.com/thing:2740927

That was AWESOME! wondering if the marker plans to put this case into production, probly not due to the trademark, design licence and etc..., I guess. :(
HHKB Pro JP Type-S with hasu alt controller
Leopold FC980c

Offline nguyenhimself

« Reply #338 on: Sun, 06 May 2018, 12:37:08 »
This would be great:

Show Image

That was AWESOME! wondering if the marker plans to put this case into production, probly not due to the trademark, design licence and etc..., I guess. :(

It's a 3D-printed case, so you can just take his CAD file to a nearby shop to make one for yourself.
Or, if you're hardcore enough, you can always mod the original M0110 case.
And of course, the upcoming™ Modern M0110 will have a beige cerakote version, though that's not plastic.

Offline ucyo

« Reply #339 on: Mon, 07 May 2018, 05:42:08 »
Show Image

Comparison with an AEK

Seems like this is a contra? how do you like it?

Offline dr_derivative

• Not a real doctor
« Reply #340 on: Mon, 07 May 2018, 08:22:32 »
This would be great:

Show Image

Not sure how well that would look with XDA caps, it's designed to fit the weird curved bottom edge of AEK caps. The top row of XDA would sits lot lower than AEK caps. You could always edit the design to make it more flat or change the PCB mounting angle to make it look better of course.

More
Show Image

Comparison with an AEK

Seems like this is a contra? how do you like it?

I bought it to try out an ortho layout and to try out BOX Jades. It's made out of PCB material so it's pretty light and flexible, but considering how much it costs it's great value for money ;D. I'd definitely recommend this for someone's first build, trying out ortho, or something similar without needing to spend a ton of money.

Offline koduh

« Reply #341 on: Mon, 07 May 2018, 12:42:46 »
This looks fantastic! I cant wait for this set to be made.

Offline Viss

« Reply #342 on: Mon, 07 May 2018, 16:38:42 »
I'd love to see an approach like Pulse R3 went with, with the Hobbyist kits. As-is, I'd literally have to buy compatibilities solely for a 1.5u backspace only. I was very pleased with the Hobbyist kits, in that it covered all mods for many boards, including the basics that all boards require. Instead of an additional set, it was a replacement modifier kit for many layouts.

Just wanted my opinion out there, as I don't think I can stomach a lot for a single key, and feel there could very well be a different approach.

Offline Zuology

• Why does this rabbit-hole have so many side-quests
« Reply #343 on: Mon, 07 May 2018, 17:23:31 »
I'd love to see an approach like Pulse R3 went with, with the Hobbyist kits. As-is, I'd literally have to buy compatibilities solely for a 1.5u backspace only. I was very pleased with the Hobbyist kits, in that it covered all mods for many boards, including the basics that all boards require. Instead of an additional set, it was a replacement modifier kit for many layouts.

Just wanted my opinion out there, as I don't think I can stomach a lot for a single key, and feel there could very well be a different approach.

Being that this set is full-flat profile XDA, the amount of compatibility keys is greatly reduced and they can usually be included in a single set without much to-do and added cost (only extra work is a different legend on a standard key that is row-indifferent). If you look at a lot of the existing blank XDA sets you see 130-140+ keys per set which have vast compatibility options. What specific key(s) are you worried about adding extra unnecessary cost(s)?
More
75%: Scarlet Bandana (TBD) | Singa75 Polycarb (TBD) | SKB75 (TBD) | YMD75 (Box Navy) | XD84 (Outemu Ice) | Plum84 (BKE Redux Heavy)
TKL: ALF X1.1 SE (TBD) | LZ Iron White (TBD) | Fox Labs Orange (TBD) | Alu WASDv2 (Cherry Green) | MechkeyAlpha MA87 (Kailh Box Burnt Orange) | Archon RE:AL Superior EX (Nopre 65g)
Full+: Clueboard Double 1800 (Vint Clears) | IBM Model M | IBM Model F XT

Offline Viss

« Reply #344 on: Mon, 07 May 2018, 17:29:33 »

Being that this set is full-flat profile XDA, the amount of compatibility keys is greatly reduced and they can usually be included in a single set without much to-do and added cost (only extra work is a different legend on a standard key that is row-indifferent). If you look at a lot of the existing blank XDA sets you see 130-140+ keys per set which have vast compatibility options. What specific key(s) are you worried about adding extra unnecessary cost(s)?

As mentioned, 1.5u backspace is the only extra key is need from compatibilities. I just figure there may be a "better way", and used Pulse as an example. That's a sculpted set, and still only required 3 kits to cover hhkb. I wouldn't think it's need as many, or more, to cover the same board with a flat profile set. It's not a deal breaker by any means, but I would likely just have to find someone who doesn't need the 1.5u backspace icon key. Added difficulty, that's all.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #345 on: Mon, 07 May 2018, 17:34:36 »

Pulse doing that isn't anything new; most modern SA sets have always had compatibility sets.

Anyway, it doesn't matter since this is a flat profile, so the keys needed is reduced dramatically.

Offline Viss

« Reply #346 on: Mon, 07 May 2018, 17:53:30 »

Pulse doing that isn't anything new; most modern SA sets have always had compatibility sets.

Anyway, it doesn't matter since this is a flat profile, so the keys needed is reduced dramatically.

Actually, it was extremely different in the case of pulse.

The Hobbyist kits allowed you to NOT buy the base mod kit. They included the basic keys like enter, tab, etc... That's different that any other SA set I've seen

Offline pomk

« Reply #347 on: Tue, 08 May 2018, 04:06:35 »

Actually, it was extremely different in the case of pulse.

The Hobbyist kits allowed you to NOT buy the base mod kit. They included the basic keys like enter, tab, etc... That's different that any other SA set I've seen
I think that it was not a good way of splitting the kits. If you wanted to have a tkl with control as capslock, you would end up with a bunch of duplicate keys like ansi enter, backspace, shifts, tab etc. It was only good for wkl/hhkb60% boards and less than ideal for everyone else.

I’d rather pay more and get more keys, than pay more and get the same keys twice.
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 May 2018, 04:08:23 by pomk »

Offline Viss

« Reply #348 on: Tue, 08 May 2018, 11:23:53 »
To each their own. I just found that in my case it worked out amazingly well, and thus wanted to provide feedback. I won't buy the compatibility kit, so I'll be forced to find someone to take $5 for 1 key.

Always better to voice concerns than be mad about it, I figure.

Offline RominRonin

• * Maker
« Reply #349 on: Thu, 10 May 2018, 11:14:16 »
Just checking in to say I'm looking forward to this. There's a good chance i'll get more than one set.

P.S. Mwoarr pics pls.