Poll

Which realization of Cyrillics do you prefer?

Double shot single letters
Standard QWERTY with front printed Cyrillics

Author Topic: [IC] YURI R1 GMK (Cherry profile)  (Read 354466 times)

Offline n__dles

Re: [IC] YURI Cherry or SA Profile
« Reply #150 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 19:40:38 »
There are 26 letters to made. Thats 26 x 50$ 1300$ total cost
If I understand correctly, that means new dyesub legends are $50 each and if the author agrees they can be used in other sets?
I'd probably go with the dual legend approach - I think a lot of MD customers might be a bit intimated by cyrillic legends only even though they look super badass
Seconded. I prefer the full cap Cyrillic, but I think there'll be more buyers with dual legends.

Offline simonyunhe

Re: [IC] YURI SA Profile
« Reply #151 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 19:45:55 »
What I'm concerned is how will the legends double shot if they have two different colors or we will have one instead. The Cyrillic key cap in the picture is double shot then dye-sub and I'm not sure if SP do dye-sub SA.
KeyBs:|RS96-Brown|GS-87-White|DIYer60-Red|VA68M-Brown|GS-ALT71-Blue|IKBC-108-Black|
KeyCs:|SA Carbon R1+2|SA Camping|SA Amazing Chocolatier|SA Commando 88 Ghost|SA Hyperfuse|SA Penumbra|SA Doom|SA Creamy Orange|SA Ocean Dolch|SA Lotus*72|SA Trouble Minds R2|DSA Granite|GMK TA|GMK Soware|XDA Mailstone|GM Ember|

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #152 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 20:07:00 »
What I'm concerned is how will the legends double shot if they have two different colors or we will have one instead. The Cyrillic key cap in the picture is double shot then dye-sub and I'm not sure if SP do dye-sub SA.

It would have to be one colour unless you wanted to pad print the cyrillic on which makes it sort of unremarkable

The GMK set in the photo is doubleshot on the english legends and pad print on the cyrillic fyi

You can't dyesub ABS as the temps are too hot - only works with PBT (which SP don't offer SA in)

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #153 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 20:07:40 »

Both legends would need to be the same color unless going triple shot.  I don't recall if SP has done that or offers such, though.

Offline building_an_ergo

« Reply #154 on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 04:58:28 »
First of all Yuri is a slavic Name for a men. Isis is a common arabic Name for a female. You see my point? You cant blame the name you can only blame the person who lacks knowledge to the given context.
In german the word Sir is "Herr" means acusticaly in russian ****. Its not funny.

Anyway we can consider another name if this name "Yuri" gives some people trouble. Actually i considered first time to call it "The sky was red".

'Yuri' is also a girls name in Japanese :3

I didn't mean to imply it was bad, I actually like it.  I also doubt it would give anyone trouble beyond 3 seconds after the first click. Just wanted to point it out.

Oh and just for the record, I think "The Sky Was Red" would be a pretty damn cool name.

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #155 on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 04:59:15 »
this still happening right?

Offline ileben

« Reply #156 on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 05:40:30 »
Right now i am thinking of making complete new legends. Say latin letters in the top left corner and cyrillics in bottom right corner.
It will cost more but i think its more versatile... Discuss!

I would prefer single cyrillic legends, because it's infinitely more badass, and I totally really want this. After all, this is supposed to be a tribute to someone and I see it as a piece of art, so if someone wants to have this on their keyboard, they should just learn to touch-type. I feel quite strongly about this.
RF 87 55g (silenced) | FC660C (silenced) | Unicomp Ultra Classic | Filco MJ2 Brown | Matias Mini Quiet Pro

Offline T0mb3ry

• https://www.instagram.com/t0mb3ry_gh/
    • Flickr
« Reply #157 on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 05:56:34 »
this still happening right?
Yes it will happen but not soon. SP is quite overloaded and i start to work out cyrillics after i received my carbon kits, so i can axamine Gorton Modified Font. Need more examples i think there are some difference between DSA and SA fonts.

I would prefer single cyrillic legends, because it's infinitely more badass, and I totally really want this. After all, this is supposed to be a tribute to someone and I see it as a piece of art, so if someone wants to have this on their keyboard, they should just learn to touch-type. I feel quite strongly about this.
Double legends would require complette new Alphas. Costly but it could combine both worlds perfectly. I prefer full size cyrillics too, but double legends are in fact more flexible. Anyway we should keep this discussion.

For Full Size Letters i have also to offer Ansi. It means there will be 2 Alpha kits.

Offline Lepidus

« Reply #158 on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 06:15:30 »
I also vote for the dual-legend option.

Btw, will these caps lock/scroll lock caps be doubleshot with translucent plastic?

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #159 on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 06:26:00 »
Btw, will these caps lock/scroll lock caps be doubleshot with translucent plastic?

You cant doubleshot led windowed keys. Those Led windowed keys will be front side printed like in Carbon.

Offline cheddarbek

« Reply #160 on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 06:50:32 »
I like single legend, personally. Dual legend just looks cluttered to me.
The Alps cover 65% of Switzerland's surface area (41,285 kmē), making it one of the most alpine countries. Despite the fact that Switzerland covers only 14% of the Alps total area (192,753 kmē),[2][3] many alpine four-thousanders (48 of 82) are located in the Swiss Alps and practically all of the remaining few are within 20 km of the country's border.

Offline R4WBIT

« Reply #161 on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 08:22:22 »
Is an international kit in thought or are you aiming towards doing an cyrillic only set?

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #162 on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 13:40:51 »
Is an international kit in thought or are you aiming towards doing an cyrillic only set?
The main goal is to introduce cyrillics. Depending on which approach we choose i plan atleast to include an UK ISO kit.

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #163 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 13:06:42 »
Obligatory request for a set of Ergodox blanks (1u, 1.5u, and 2u)

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #164 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 13:58:29 »
The main goal is to introduce cyrillics. Depending on which approach we choose i plan atleast to include an UK ISO kit.

I don't care about the legends as a touch typer, but I would like to put in a vote for at least iso physical layout support.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline cheddarbek

« Reply #165 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 14:13:34 »
+1 for Ergodox, Comrade! 
The Alps cover 65% of Switzerland's surface area (41,285 kmē), making it one of the most alpine countries. Despite the fact that Switzerland covers only 14% of the Alps total area (192,753 kmē),[2][3] many alpine four-thousanders (48 of 82) are located in the Swiss Alps and practically all of the remaining few are within 20 km of the country's border.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #166 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 14:36:06 »
Obligatory request for a set of Ergodox blanks (1u, 1.5u, and 2u)
Ergodox, Planck etc. is a must ofcourse and will be supported. Ergodox is easy but planck might be hard as it cant fit all the cyrillics. Thinking about special pseudo blanks. I do plan for the next possible Carbon drop doubleshot graphene blanks. Dont know what to make in Yuri's case. But i will get an idea, thats for sure.

I don't care about the legends as a touch typer, but I would like to put in a vote for at least iso physical layout support.
It will get at least full UK ISO support. Thats for sure. Its almost the same as ansi and needs just a few keys. Other ISO layout would be just an overkill because of cyrillics.
Also thinking about to let out support for Dvorak and Colemak. Those would need complete new legends too. But its not set in the stone, so perhaps.. maybe...

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #167 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 14:50:16 »
Imo dvorak and colemak kits are a complete waste of time. As a dvorak user I never buy them. If you type with either of these styles you should be touch typing, so many do not feel inclined to pay extra, and therefore these sets often (in my experience) don't make moq. Just my 2 cents though.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline alexjd99

• oozing through the cells of one's own construction
« Reply #168 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 14:57:19 »
I'm assuming with the additional letters, this will be a while, but is there a general time that you had in mind for the GB to start? Just curious so I can remember to have my money saved for this  :p

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #169 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 15:07:43 »
I'm assuming with the additional letters, this will be a while, but is there a general time that you had in mind for the GB to start? Just curious so I can remember to have my money saved for this  :p
I think somewhere in summer. You know SP is overflown with orders and the whole thing with current SA GBs has to calm down a little bit. Sure i also have to work out the cyrillics. I think i can get Cyrillics in one month i am quite used to work with GIMP after Carbon. I did some tries. Scaned some DeepSpace letters and made some Cyrillics. They still need some fine tuning but its not that hard. Only 26 legends. If i make one legend per day you can call me lazy :).

Offline alexjd99

• oozing through the cells of one's own construction
« Reply #170 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 15:15:01 »
I think somewhere in summer. You know SP is overflown with orders and the whole thing with current SA GBs has to calm down a little bit. Sure i also have to work out the cyrillics. I think i can get Cyrillics in one month i am quite used to work with GIMP after Carbon. I did some tries. Scaned some DeepSpace letters and made some Cyrillics. They still need some fine tuning but its not that hard. Only 26 legends. If i make one legend per day you can call me lazy :).
Awesome, thanks!
Between this, the Electric set, and other group buys to come, my wallet will be so malnourished  :))

Offline Jedi

« Reply #171 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 21:31:02 »
If i make one legend per day you can call me lazy :).

Dude, after your first successful GB and the time you actually put in on the IC stage, I for one, would NEVER call you lazy.  Any set you do that includes Cyrillics has my money on it.  I'm already a fan of the colorway and love the novelties.  Just keep doing your thang man, this set is already popular and its months before we can even buy it. :p

#HYPE :thumb:

Offline spectre

« Reply #172 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 11:21:50 »
please do a 1x1 Vostok spacecraft and Cosmonaut too, for Plank

Offline animal

« Reply #173 on: Sun, 20 December 2015, 10:32:52 »
Are there going to be extra keys that fit on non-standard keyboards like the Corsair K70?
Real men do it with a keyboard.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #174 on: Sun, 20 December 2015, 11:10:00 »
Are there going to be extra keys that fit on non-standard keyboards like the Corsair K70?

Yes there will be some, but K70 does use an unusual Spacebar Size (6.5u) which is not available in SA Profile.

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
« Reply #175 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 09:19:45 »
ISO support is mandatory for these type of sets. Looks really good though.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #176 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 09:48:03 »

Yes this will be the case. As i wrote previously i plan to support at least UK ISO.

By the way i received today my Carbon keysets and i will start to work on Cyrillics. If i am done with Cyrillics i will post an update with new cyrillic alphas  :)

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #177 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 23:35:26 »

Yes this will be the case. As i wrote previously i plan to support at least UK ISO.

By the way i received today my Carbon keysets and i will start to work on Cyrillics. If i am done with Cyrillics i will post an update with new cyrillic alphas  :)

So cyrillic is back as an option? That is definitely a set I would not miss out on.  :thumb:
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #178 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 03:23:16 »
So cyrillic is back as an option? That is definitely a set I would not miss out on.  :thumb:

Hey!

Actually Cyrillics will be not an option... It will be the Base set. I plan doing dual legends (latin/cyrillics) as its the jack of all trades. Also this approach can push the costs down and help hitting MOQ better.

Ofcourse i'd like to hear your opinion to this kind of approach :)

Offline Hanni

« Reply #179 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 13:08:11 »
Actually Cyrillics will be not an option... It will be the Base set.
I'm afraid it is going to be unproductive.
Basically, this base kit will be more expensive for latin geekhacker, only to get an unused cyrillics alphas ; really not interresting from my point of view.  :(

Offline cheddarbek

« Reply #180 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 13:16:28 »

I plan doing dual legends (latin/cyrillics) as its the jack of all trades. Also this approach can push the costs down and help hitting MOQ better.

Ofcourse i'd like to hear your opinion to this kind of approach :)

I'd like to see a single legend option/or base set (whether that be Latin or Cyrillic). Dual legends just looks cluttered to me.

Also, would you realistically be able to double shot each dual legend key? If the way to achieve dual legends is pad printing...that's...well...

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #181 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 13:28:23 »
Hmpf... just continue discussion as long as i work on cyrillics guys. My decision for double legends is not set in stone.

Offline cheddarbek

« Reply #182 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 13:46:32 »
At this point I'm 100% for Cyrillic legends. I'd just like to see single legends - for the motherland.

Offline n__dles

« Reply #183 on: Wed, 23 December 2015, 21:30:10 »
Hmpf... just continue discussion as long as i work on cyrillics guys.
How many characters are left?

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #184 on: Wed, 23 December 2015, 21:40:54 »
I have no keyboards to put it on, but this is a great design. Would probably have to grab a set  :thumb:
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #185 on: Thu, 24 December 2015, 03:21:41 »
How many characters are left?

So far i have done 22 Characters during two days. Missing Ф, А, Л, Р, Д, Ж, Ч, С and Ю. I do full Alphabet for renders. Today is holiday and i got stuff to do. You know its Christmas.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #186 on: Fri, 25 December 2015, 18:23:36 »
First Page has been updated with first version of Gorton Modified Cyrillics. I would appreciate every help or suggestion if you got skills in typography. Thanks.

Offline Jedi

« Reply #187 on: Fri, 25 December 2015, 20:43:37 »
Would you still be up for side printed Cyrillic font printing on alphas?  The story goes that printing two separate key legends (one in ANSI and one in Cyrillic) means that I buy two sets of everything as well as a keyboard.  My wife is Russian so I could only look at it.  So I guess I'm in one way or the other.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #188 on: Sat, 26 December 2015, 04:20:29 »
Would you still be up for side printed Cyrillic font printing on alphas?  The story goes that printing two separate key legends (one in ANSI and one in Cyrillic) means that I buy two sets of everything as well as a keyboard.  My wife is Russian so I could only look at it.  So I guess I'm in one way or the other.

Yeah i am still thinking about it. I mean yes why not to front print them on Latin Base version.

However i need to know how much interesst is there for the Cyrillic Base kit. I mean is it worth?

Offline Jedi

« Reply #189 on: Sat, 26 December 2015, 07:16:10 »
The Cyrillic base kit is a nice to have and I am an absolutely lousy judge of what will sell like crazy and what won't make MOQ. For example, the vader keycap went like crazy even when I looked at it and said the finish looked crushed on the picture. Then it sells out. Then a Topre keycap set that went through months as an IC fails due to a technicality among other things.

TLDR; it would be awesome to know you have this in your back pocket as a possible available option, but considering the audience and utmost compatibility I'd agree if you said "I'm sticking with what's gonna sell MOQ kits for now."

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #190 on: Sat, 26 December 2015, 07:46:18 »
The Cyrillic base kit is a nice to have and I am an absolutely lousy judge of what will sell like crazy and what won't make MOQ. For example, the vader keycap went like crazy even when I looked at it and said the finish looked crushed on the picture. Then it sells out. Then a Topre keycap set that went through months as an IC fails due to a technicality among other things.

TLDR; it would be awesome to know you have this in your back pocket as a possible available option, but considering the audience and utmost compatibility I'd agree if you said "I'm sticking with what's gonna sell MOQ kits for now."

I dont want to force my opinion or something. I will do that the majority prefers the most.

I thought just we are missing doubleshot cyrillics. I saw many times people using Cyrillics on their boards and i was curious about doing cyrillic keyset. I for myself dont need cyrillics, though Russian is my native language. They have meaning for me. Other people put them because of aesthetics. I would put them on my board only with Latin (say double legends) letters. I for myself write most of the time in English and German. For Cyrillic i use special layout for QWERTY. Basically cyrillics are not for me, its for you (whose who appreciate the look of cyrillics). This is just the opportunity to get double shot cyrillics.
« Last Edit: Sat, 26 December 2015, 07:58:46 by T0mb3ry »

Offline harlw

« Reply #191 on: Sun, 27 December 2015, 11:05:40 »

I hear you on misjudging what will sell - boy have I been wrong! I predicted GMK SNES would break records (although the presentation was lackluster despite thisiscampers fine work on it), lol.
Ergodox (x2), V.EA Clone, Tada68, Atreus XL, Planck, Model M 70% Mod

Offline harlw

« Reply #192 on: Sun, 27 December 2015, 11:06:58 »
I just wanted to be a pest and say "is it here yet?" - I need these colors...life and death we are talking here...
Ergodox (x2), V.EA Clone, Tada68, Atreus XL, Planck, Model M 70% Mod

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #193 on: Sun, 27 December 2015, 11:48:10 »
I just wanted to be a pest and say "is it here yet?" - I need these colors...life and death we are talking here...

Actuallly if we throw Cyrillics away i need maybe max one month to make YURI GB ready. Most of Child Deals will be the same as Carbon. I need to rework ISO kit and refine Novelties. Again the question is that about Cyrillics. I think since no one cares for them we can run this just as standard.

Anyway my color chips are on the way i'd like to check the colors first with my own eyes. It's possible i could adjust the colors slightly to achieve the desired color combination.
« Last Edit: Sun, 27 December 2015, 11:58:38 by T0mb3ry »

Offline derezzed

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #194 on: Sun, 27 December 2015, 12:36:57 »
I think one of the advantages of a Cyrillic-only set is that, unless you're a purist or can read Cyrillic, the Cyrillic set obviates the extra alpha keys for Colemak and Dvorak sets, making Colemak/Dvorak kits that much cheaper.  I understand ditching Cyrillics to broaden the marketability of this set, but I'm sad to see them go.   An all-Cyrillic set would have looked fantastic.  I hope there is an opportunity to incorporate them into a future set.  They were what originally sold me on this set.  The colorway is nice, but the Cyrillics really promoted the theme of this set.  Now, I'm undecided.  Will you have renders of Yuri by the time it hits Massdrop?

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #195 on: Sun, 27 December 2015, 12:42:17 »
I think one of the advantages of a Cyrillic-only set is that, unless you're a purist or can read Cyrillic, the Cyrillic set obviates the extra alpha keys for Colemak and Dvorak sets, making Colemak/Dvorak kits that much cheaper.  I understand ditching Cyrillics to broaden the marketability of this set, but I'm sad to see them go.   An all-Cyrillic set would have looked fantastic.  I hope there is an opportunity to incorporate them into a future set.  They were what originally sold me on this set.  The colorway is nice, but the Cyrillics really promoted the theme of this set.  Now, I'm undecided.  Will you have renders of Yuri by the time it hits Massdrop?

Cyrillics are not gone. It was just a question. To Cyrillics or not to Cyrillics? Check the rmk thread. I just cant predict the demand on Cyrillics. I wish we can do it, so the upcoming keysets can offer cyrillics.
« Last Edit: Sun, 27 December 2015, 12:50:12 by T0mb3ry »

Offline Jedi

« Reply #196 on: Sun, 27 December 2015, 15:14:56 »
The prediction is the hardest.  (off topic) Here's the trend that I see (this applies to MD only).  (1) Massdrop is extremely transparent when it comes to a real time purchase machine.  This has (+)'s and (-)'s.  The plus is that we can count up purchases and count down to hitting MOQ.  The minus is the reason it is a plus.  People tend to be fence sitters when the initial demand doesn't come on full steam.  The fence sitting typically carries all the way till the end of the drop and then... nothing. 

(Back on topic) Cryillics would do it for some but then some of those some say oh well the font is definitely my thing but the color isn't my fave, good luck though.  Or, oh its ABS? PBT is so much more superior, well maybe the next drop when you do this in PBT.  Or, oh its SA, yeah I'd much prefer DCS as I don't have a need for the SA.  Or oh your 1-1-2-3-4, I really need this set in 1-2-2-3-3, but good luck on the drop. :eek:

TLDR, run a google poll on RD, MD, and GH and lets see how they respond.  That should tell us whether T0mb3ry needs to run this with two sets of alphas. :thumb:

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #197 on: Sun, 27 December 2015, 15:57:20 »
My own preferences:

+ SA profile, sculpted (not all row 3).
+ Red instead of orange.
+ White or cream rather than cyan background on alphanumerics.
+ Single legends on alphas; Cyrillic could be a separate alpha set option.
+ Double-shot legends.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #198 on: Sun, 27 December 2015, 16:01:33 »
I sent a request to Melissa to get approximate costs for the Cyrillic Base kit (at MOQ of 100 base kits). I think we have to smell the price first... Ofcourse i will post the pricing if i get one.

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #199 on: Sun, 27 December 2015, 22:20:43 »
If you do end up doing a poll (which I would recommend), I can also add one to the thread for you, if you like. Google poll might be easier to integrate data from all the various sources though.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)