Poll

Which realization of Cyrillics do you prefer?

Double shot single letters
Standard QWERTY with front printed Cyrillics

Author Topic: [IC] YURI R1 GMK (Cherry profile)  (Read 354439 times)

Offline T0mb3ry

• https://www.instagram.com/t0mb3ry_gh/
    • Flickr
Re: [IC] YURI Cherry or SA Profile
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 16 October 2015, 14:36:41 »
Sry guys i think we have to close this. Saw this on Deskthority
The IC is older than this.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #51 on: Fri, 16 October 2015, 17:08:21 »
Show Image

Oh crap! That looks IDENTICAL to yours right down to the red cyrillic font, even has the same inspiration... oh wait... no. What are you talking about?
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #52 on: Fri, 16 October 2015, 17:40:19 »
Show Image

Oh crap! That looks IDENTICAL to yours right down to the red cyrillic font, even has the same inspiration... oh wait... no. What are you talking about?

You are right. I get slowly colorblind from the new sets popping up :p

Offline rrrsss

« Reply #53 on: Sat, 17 October 2015, 07:31:40 »
i like this set. interested what you have for planck users! :thumb:

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #54 on: Sat, 17 October 2015, 07:49:30 »
i like this set. interested what you have for planck users! :thumb:
There is nothing special about my plans for planck. Either it will get its own set of alphas for 1-2-3-4 rows or the rows will be 2-3-4-1. The second row combo will get row 1 reverted.

Offline derezzed

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #55 on: Thu, 22 October 2015, 20:45:43 »
The English version is great.  The Cyrillic version is fantastic.  It's too bad they never met in real life, because a Yuri novelty keycap and Laika novelty keycap styled after the image in the OP might complement this set nicely.  I'd like to see the Cyrillic version of this set on DrHubblePhd's Mira keyboard.

Offline Kad

• Δ E S T H E T I C S
« Reply #56 on: Fri, 23 October 2015, 00:27:27 »
Bummer about the Cyrillic not working out. Very cool set overall with great colors.

[WASD v2 w/ MX Blues]

Offline HTN47

• Mr. SoCal
« Reply #57 on: Fri, 23 October 2015, 00:31:27 »
Any news on whether or not this set will be in made with GMK, JTK, or signiture plastic?
What is love.... Baby don't hurt me... No more!!

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #58 on: Fri, 23 October 2015, 11:17:22 »
I guess bunny has a lot of stuff todo and they got already many keysets in their pipeline.

Looking at GMK, they got some quality issues last time. Look at Hyperfuse and TA. Anyway i hardly believe their colorpalette could match YURIs colorway. I still would love to run it in cherry profile. Quite sad for me.

So it looks like this keyset will run through SP. Ofcourse SA Profile and with cyrillic legends. For Cyrillics i have to talk to Melissa. Either SP makes the cyrillics or i have to make some svgs for it. But its doable. It will just take some time.
« Last Edit: Fri, 23 October 2015, 11:19:07 by T0mb3ry »

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #59 on: Fri, 23 October 2015, 11:54:45 »
It will look cool in SA; still, it is not my preferred profile. Even then, I may get one, just for the sake of its novelty.

:thumb:

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #60 on: Fri, 23 October 2015, 17:37:01 »
It will look cool in SA; still, it is not my preferred profile. Even then, I may get one, just for the sake of its novelty.

I did small update on the first page. If you want to see some possible novelties, there are some examples.

Offline MikeTheTiger

« Reply #61 on: Fri, 23 October 2015, 18:35:31 »

I did small update on the first page. If you want to see some possible novelties, there are some examples.

The Planck looks great!  Can't wait for this set!!

Offline harlw

« Reply #62 on: Fri, 23 October 2015, 19:23:48 »
Just wanted to show my enthusiasm for this set. I'd love to create some custom legends for the mods if would like.
edit: I generally wait until the set is near the GB stage to do the legends as I couldn't afford to create legends for a bunch of sets that never go to market.

« Last Edit: Fri, 23 October 2015, 19:26:59 by harlw »
Ergodox (x2), V.EA Clone, Tada68, Atreus XL, Planck, Model M 70% Mod

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #63 on: Fri, 23 October 2015, 19:28:08 »
A modifiers set with legends in Russian offered separately would make an awesome alternative to regular English legends.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #64 on: Fri, 23 October 2015, 19:29:04 »
Just wanted to show my enthusiasm for this set. I'd love to create some custom legends for the mods if would like.
edit: I generally wait until the set is near the GB stage to do the legends as I couldn't afford to create legends for a bunch of sets that never go to market.

Show Image

Could you make this render with regular alphas and modifiers with Russian legends?

Offline harlw

« Reply #65 on: Fri, 23 October 2015, 20:15:15 »

Show Image

Could you make this render with regular alphas and modifiers with Russian legends?

Sure - if someone wants to drop me the legends in vector or high-res PNG, I'm strapped for time or I would do it myself.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #66 on: Fri, 23 October 2015, 20:23:46 »

Show Image

Sure - if someone wants to drop me the legends in vector or high-res PNG, I'm strapped for time or I would do it myself.

Maybe the OP could send them, the combination of regular alphas with Russian mods would be awesome.

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #67 on: Sat, 24 October 2015, 07:33:35 »
I spoke to Bunny about the possibility of running a group buy for JTK a while ago - just so you know, they have taped out their releases for something like the next 6 months and won't be doing any user submitted ones until those are completed

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #68 on: Sat, 24 October 2015, 08:36:24 »
I spoke to Bunny about the possibility of running a group buy for JTK a while ago - just so you know, they have taped out their releases for something like the next 6 months and won't be doing any user submitted ones until those are completed
Yeah i can understand that the pipeline is filled. Anyway even if YURI runs through SP then this will happen only next summer, as their scedule plan has been overflown too. I actually got time else i would work out and represent all the child deals already. Its not a big deal for me as i got most of my templates from Carbon.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #69 on: Sat, 24 October 2015, 08:39:20 »
A modifiers set with legends in Russian offered separately would make an awesome alternative to regular English legends.
Those are my thoughts too. Personally i would love to place legends in corners so you can have latin and cyrillic at the same time but i love to much those centered big legends.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #70 on: Sat, 24 October 2015, 08:51:23 »

Show Image

Maybe the OP could send them, the combination of regular alphas with Russian mods would be awesome.

I have to find out if SP can make cyrillic legends by their own or i have to make it for them. If i do it by myself, then i can provide the legends (svgs) to harlw. Last time i was confused by Modern Selectric as it uses bold Gorton Modified font. But jukebox has the light version which i also used on DSA DeepSpace. Due to the shape of DSA Profile its the perfect one to make the scans. Cyrillic Gorton Modified is doable. However as i said, i have to find out if SP can make it.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #71 on: Sat, 24 October 2015, 08:57:53 »

Show Image

If you like i can provide you SVGs for novelties so you can play around with it. For the cyrillics: there is no free rounded font with support for cyrillics. Gotham Rounded does not support them. The only one is VAG Rounded Cyrillic and its license costs some money. I could by it but you need this license too for renders.

Offline harlw

« Reply #72 on: Sat, 24 October 2015, 10:49:03 »

Show Image

If you like i can provide you SVGs for novelties so you can play around with it. For the cyrillics: there is no free rounded font with support for cyrillics. Gotham Rounded does not support them. The only one is VAG Rounded Cyrillic and its license costs some money. I could by it but you need this license too for renders.

I have a legit copy of the Gotham library so it's a shame it doesn't support it...it should for $800 but watevs :/
I have a copy of VAG rounded - I don't mind using it for mock-ups as long as *someone* owns the license if it actually goes into production.

Offline whmeltonjr

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #73 on: Sat, 24 October 2015, 11:55:52 »
I passed on your Carbon set, but I think this one may be a buy for me. I'm still looking for my first SA set and quite like the look of these. Will follow along for updates for sure.

Offline malaik0

« Reply #74 on: Sat, 24 October 2015, 12:11:30 »
im looking for a GMK keyset but this SA set, this colors  :eek: OMG great colors

Offline thatsmrdoctortoyou

• Dingo babies
    • IG
« Reply #75 on: Sat, 24 October 2015, 12:21:02 »
Love the design! Just curious, why are DSA and DCS not options if you go through Signature Plastics? Is it just a preference or is there a production rationale?

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #76 on: Sat, 24 October 2015, 13:15:32 »
Love the design! Just curious, why are DSA and DCS not options if you go through Signature Plastics? Is it just a preference or is there a production rationale?

If we're talking cylindrical profile keycaps like DCS the reason is because everyone found out about GMK and they are preferable to DCS for most people. I think everyone just got a bit sick of DSA

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #77 on: Sat, 24 October 2015, 13:17:09 »

Own myself DSA and SA keysets. For my personal preference i wish they could double the thickness for DSA and DCS profiles. Its all about the resonance the keycaps provide (for me). It affects the sound and feel. I want deep sound and less vibration. Now the SA profile has same thickness for second shot but only on its edge. The main body (core) has double thickness, as it combines the first and the second shot. Also due to its form it has an specific sound which sounds very good.

In short SA feels, sounds and looks the best compared to DCS and DSA profile. There are also the downsides of SA Profile. You will not be able to feel the switch (say bumpy switches like Clears) as you will do it with DSA profile. Also its tall profile intensifies the wobbliness of switches (depending on housing and the slider).

You might say you don't like how SA looks, but almost everyone who owns SA Profile keyset knows how they feel and why they are so good. Most people who complain about SA profile have neither tested it nor do they own it. Ofcourse there are paople who own SA keyset and dont like it but its a minority. Now dont judge me i tell you only about my experience and people i talked to about SA. Just want to say do not judge about something that you haven't tested by yourself.

Anyway as alternative i can only imagine Cherry profile. Thick cherry profile.
« Last Edit: Sat, 24 October 2015, 13:18:42 by T0mb3ry »

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #78 on: Sat, 24 October 2015, 13:25:45 »
Oh wow, these colors a great :D

Could see it in Cherry or SA but would prefer Cherry since I recently got some GMK caps which I like over SP SA.

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline Kerpadge

« Reply #79 on: Sat, 24 October 2015, 13:52:59 »
I'm a big fan of this set. The novelties you've added are looking great too! Keep up the amazing work.

Offline Stev

« Reply #80 on: Sat, 24 October 2015, 18:32:25 »
This set looks amazing, would definitely be interested

Offline MikeTheTiger

« Reply #81 on: Sat, 24 October 2015, 18:55:44 »

I agree. The color palette and overall theme of this set are very exciting. Can't wait to see them go to production.

Offline MikeTheTiger

« Reply #82 on: Sat, 24 October 2015, 19:05:23 »
The novelties are killer too!!

Offline b32147

« Reply #83 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 16:03:12 »

Same here. The color selected for the legends is perfect. Great design!

Offline alexjd99

• oozing through the cells of one's own construction
« Reply #84 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 17:52:47 »
Interested for sure!

Offline Kola93

« Reply #85 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 03:13:42 »
This is a very neat looking set, but I have to say that GMK colours will not work for this. :(

Perhaps SA would be best. I really look forward to it. DSA is not as recommended. Go for SA! ^-^

Offline eksuen

• Ambassador of explosions.
« Reply #86 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 02:13:47 »
Interested. Also, +1 for English alphas and Cyrillic mods. I think that would look awesome.

I always wanted to learn Russian. I suppose now's a good time to start.  :))

Offline TheSoundofTyping

« Reply #87 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 02:33:40 »
Interested!
"To my loyal butler, You There, for his decades of service, I leave a pittance, to be paid in twenty equal installments of one-twentieth of a pittance each."

Offline harlw

« Reply #88 on: Mon, 09 November 2015, 09:04:56 »
Let's do this, where u at OP? *slap*

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #89 on: Mon, 09 November 2015, 10:28:04 »
Let's do this, where u at OP? *slap*

I have to work out cyrillics. Anyway dont know if we should run it through MD or PMK. Making child deals is not a big problem as i got a quite ready to go mockups.

Offline Rev.

« Reply #90 on: Mon, 09 November 2015, 14:05:38 »
I'd definitely be interested in the Cyrillic series, and possibly even the Latin one if the number keys didn't have symbols on them.

Will you be releasing this as a set that can fit a 60% keyboard like the Pok3r?

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #91 on: Mon, 09 November 2015, 15:43:39 »
Wow, I really like the colors and the novelties plus I have been looking to pickup an SA set sometime, this would seriously be it!
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline gabba-gool

« Reply #92 on: Mon, 09 November 2015, 18:31:39 »
Cherry  :thumb:

But really, this is a gorgeous set. Would look great with a white case. It would be cool to see what novelties could pop up with this set.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #93 on: Mon, 09 November 2015, 20:36:27 »
...but almost everyone who owns SA Profile keyset knows how they feel and why they are so good. Most people who complain about SA profile have neither tested it nor do they own it. Ofcourse there are paople who own SA keyset and dont like it but its a minority. Now dont judge me i tell you only about my experience and people i talked to about SA. Just want to say do not judge about something that you haven't tested by yourself.

There are plenty of us who tried out SA years ago ago when it first started getting popular and left it.  Now, when many of us see SA in an IC or GB subject line, we just move along.  No sense in looking if it's a profile I've tried and rejected.  No reason to go in and moan at the people who are interested, that's their thing and they'll make their own decision.  But don't think that everyone who tries SA loves it.  Simply not true.  I've talked to more long-time geekhackers who tried SA and didn't like it than who tried it and did.

Regardless of what profile you use, the colors look amazing!  I love the Yuri theme, and you've captured that vintage space vibe well.  Love the large legends; they remind me of R3 which I still have and use.  I wish JTK were available to produce, but that's how it goes sometime.  If you do this through GMK, count me in!  Would being in Germany allow you to monitor quality any better than the other recent GMK GB's?  Karura, who's running Skidata, seems to think that the quality issues can easily be overcome.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #94 on: Mon, 09 November 2015, 20:41:44 »
Are the colors, or something similar, available with GMK? I think the OP has pointed that the Germans do not have matching colors for the design.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #95 on: Mon, 09 November 2015, 20:53:24 »
Are the colors, or something similar, available with GMK? I think the OP has pointed that the Germans do not have matching colors for the design.

I know GMK's color pallette is sparse compared to SP.  Like orange for example.  GMK has...1 orange.  SP has 5 shades of orange.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline thatsmrdoctortoyou

• Dingo babies
    • IG
« Reply #96 on: Mon, 09 November 2015, 22:15:13 »
OP, would there be a child deal for Dvorak? Would also love to have GMK but will join regardless as this set theme is amazing! Great set OP!

Offline scoobs0311

« Reply #97 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 10:27:19 »
Wow, I really like these colors. Would love to get these in Cherry from GMK.

Offline turboloser

« Reply #98 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 19:39:18 »

I know GMK's color pallette is sparse compared to SP.  Like orange for example.  GMK has...1 orange.  SP has 5 shades of orange.

It's really sad too, and when they do a custom color you get issues like TA did.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #99 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 19:43:11 »

It's really sad too, and when they do a custom color you get issues like TA did.

Don't say it like it's a guarantee.  :P  That was the first and only time.  One data point hardly indicates a trend.  ;)