Poll

Which realization of Cyrillics do you prefer?

Double shot single letters
Standard QWERTY with front printed Cyrillics

Author Topic: [IC] YURI R1 GMK (Cherry profile)  (Read 356480 times)

Offline thelaughingman

• Simultaneously the most starry-eyed idealist and t
Re: [IC] YURI R1 GMK (Cherry profile)
« Reply #650 on: Wed, 16 November 2016, 07:52:35 »
Will an ergodox set be made for this?

If it gets the same success like Carbon, it will get similar addons. Right now its safe to make just the base set, since i dont know how it will sell.
I don't quite understand this approach. How does looking at the sales of the base set help? If anything, you will sell less because not all the ErgoDox users on Massdrop know about your plans, and even if they do, they might not want to risk getting stuck with the base set only.

Sticker shock.

GMK sets are expensive.  Base + ErgoDox is a lot to ask in a single drop.  There are MOQs to consider...  Best to get people to invest in the base kit first and run some supporting kits later.  If you don't like the base kit and are worried about being "stuck with" it, then why are we even talking about Dox support?  This set isn't for you.
If it gets the same success like Carbon, it will get similar addons. Right now its safe to make just the base set, since i dont know how it will sell.
I don't quite understand this approach. How does looking at the sales of the base set help? If anything, you will sell less because not all the ErgoDox users on Massdrop know about your plans, and even if they do, they might not want to risk getting stuck with the base set only.
The approach is very basic actually and quite classical.  OP knows that if you at least buy the base kit first and then later (a week, a month, two months, whatever) the customer gets asked to buy a add-on pack, he or she may rationalize well heck I guess I can buy this $xx add-on pack since I placed an order for this set.  I, for one, can speak to that I OFTEN say no, I can't buy that add-on, I already am into this set for $yyy money.  Then later I say well but the add-on was only $xx, I regret not getting it at the time. 
Its a buy in strategy that would work but would only truly be known based on how well the initial set gets sold.
Say that an obligate ErgoDox user likes this colorway. How will they decide whether or not to buy the base set when they don't yet know whether the ErgoDox kit will be sold?

Ask and/or research.

Consider that GMK Carbon ran only as a base kit.  It was a massive hit.  People invested in the base kit for what it was.  The Dox add-on ran later by itself but it was never guaranteed (MOQ still applies!) and running it concurrently with the base kit wouldn't change that.  That should be true for Yuri as well.  If you're ONLY looking to fill an ErgoDox then you've got to decide if Yuri is worth the gamble -- will it sell well enough to warrant a Dox kit, and will the Dox kit tip?

If you're coming into the drop not knowing about the possibility of Dox support then you may not even consider Yuri until/unless you poke around a little.  But that's true of any key set.
Well there was no guarantee either that the MOQ for the ErgoDox kit would be hit when SA Carbon dropped, and it was included anyway.

SP is different.  You can run an SP set with a MOQ of 1.

truth  :thumb:

Offline animal

« Reply #651 on: Wed, 16 November 2016, 16:45:11 »
I still like the number row with gray legends.

Yeah! I knew something was different. I would prefer the number row to be in grey as well, but I understand if it's not possible.

I think you mix up gray with deep blue color. In the first mockups there was logical separation of letters (literals) from signs and numbers (non literals).

Something like this:
Show Image

Yes that is what I meant. I think this is what makes it stand out of all other sets, this and the color combination.
Real men do it with a keyboard.

Offline polentA

• Formerly withoutrulers
  • GMK plz
« Reply #652 on: Wed, 16 November 2016, 16:53:27 »

Yeah! I knew something was different. I would prefer the number row to be in grey as well, but I understand if it's not possible.

I think you mix up gray with deep blue color. In the first mockups there was logical separation of letters (literals) from signs and numbers (non literals).

Something like this:
Show Image

Yes that is what I meant. I think this is what makes it stand out of all other sets, this and the color combination.

For some reason (imo) it looks so much better with the different colored legends. Not sure if this is possible, but I agree it definitely makes the set stand out more. 

Offline T0mb3ry

• https://www.instagram.com/t0mb3ry_gh/
    • Flickr
« Reply #653 on: Wed, 16 November 2016, 17:11:33 »

Something like this:
Show Image

For some reason (imo) it looks so much better with the different colored legends. Not sure if this is possible, but I agree it definitely makes the set stand out more. 

Sure, i am open for this approach. I like it too, however i'd like to hear more voices. Considering making numpad also blue so only literals are orange.

Keep in mind this approach might make the set cost slightly more, but not by large ammount.

Thoughts?

Offline duynguyenle

• Personal text? What personal text???
« Reply #654 on: Wed, 16 November 2016, 17:18:51 »

Something like this:
Show Image

Sure, i am open for this approach. I like it too, however i'd like to hear more voices. Considering making numpad also blue so only literals are orange.

Keep in mind this approach might make the set cost slightly more, but not by large ammount.

Thoughts?

I am favour of keeping all legends in orange, because I like orange, for me there's a dissonance inherent in having two distinct zones of colours in the alphas area, making the keyset somehow off-centred, almost lobsided, especially with respect to the alternating colours of the function row and the uniform orange of the modifiers, it just seems off-balance and awkward.

In short, not a fan of this alternate alpha colour arrangements
| QFR            | Leeku 1800    | Raptor K1      | Dolch Pac

Offline polentA

• Formerly withoutrulers
  • GMK plz
« Reply #655 on: Wed, 16 November 2016, 17:35:57 »

Something like this:
Show Image

Thoughts?

I would like to support this set no matter what the cost :thumb:

The all-orange alphas remind me too much of GMK Monkey, even though the base color of the keys is obviously different.

But one of the selling points for me, when I first saw your pitch, was the fact that there were two different colors for the alphas - definitely unique.  I would also like to hear some more discussion around this if possible.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #656 on: Wed, 16 November 2016, 17:38:31 »
Personally prefer the full orange myself, not opposed to orange lettering and blue/grey/thingie for other keys though really, still looks very cool.

As long as the set sees plenty of success so those pure Cyrillic alphas can happen some time down the line I'm happy haha.

Offline Data

« Reply #657 on: Wed, 16 November 2016, 18:23:13 »
Guess I'm in the "full orange" camp.

I'm kinda sad the Cyrillic legends appear to have taken a back seat, especially considering how much work went into correcting them. But I think I understand why they're not part of the set just yet and I'm glad we're at least moving forward with the colorway. Looking forward to January.

Offline Fetty AWP

« Reply #658 on: Wed, 16 November 2016, 21:51:38 »
Awesome set! Though it's a shame that GMK doesn't have the color that closely matches the blueish alphas, since that was the color that first drew me into the set.

Offline Lost2Frostbite

« Reply #659 on: Wed, 16 November 2016, 23:51:14 »
Keep it all even and orange please :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline luckyryan333

• #There'sNoToolForTyping
« Reply #660 on: Thu, 17 November 2016, 03:21:56 »
I also stand for the full orange team.
No PaiN, No GaiN
More
How to order from Taobao from outside of China and WITHOUT an Agent
daily driver: C70 w/ Oblivion
on the way: d65_12/gmkblk_3

Offline giammin

« Reply #661 on: Thu, 17 November 2016, 03:36:52 »
My vote is for the different colored legends.

Offline pomk

« Reply #662 on: Thu, 17 November 2016, 04:32:28 »
Different colours please  :)

Offline Loligagger

« Reply #663 on: Thu, 17 November 2016, 07:22:39 »
I'd say all orange works better.

Offline thelaughingman

« Reply #664 on: Thu, 17 November 2016, 10:49:38 »
for some weird reasons I just think non-uniform alpha colours is cooler  :p

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #665 on: Thu, 17 November 2016, 11:10:01 »
Trying to figure the best compromise, i think making only the number row with blue legends should keep the balance. I'll make a mockup for it. Or with enough sold sets it could be done as addon....

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #666 on: Thu, 17 November 2016, 11:28:03 »
Trying to figure the best compromise, i think making only the number row with blue legends should keep the balance. I'll make a mockup for it. Or with enough sold sets it could be done as addon....

I like the addon idea, I guess we'd have to see what the popularity of it is before that happens though - I'd be down for number row with blues though, better than the half/half blue/orange split in my opinion.

Offline thad

« Reply #667 on: Thu, 17 November 2016, 18:54:46 »
I'm in for the different colored legends.

Offline thelaughingman

« Reply #668 on: Thu, 17 November 2016, 19:01:04 »

I like the addon idea, I guess we'd have to see what the popularity of it is before that happens though - I'd be down for number row with blues though, better than the half/half blue/orange split in my opinion.

a poll, maybe? and options for how the colour layout done like num row only, wasd only or home row only etc...

Offline dsaf

« Reply #669 on: Fri, 18 November 2016, 16:44:32 »

Will there be UK keycaps like in other GMK sets, e.g. below? Thanks.

https://www.keyclack.com/product/gb-gmk-hydro

Offline MAR82

• Keyboard Addict
« Reply #670 on: Sun, 20 November 2016, 10:00:58 »
I just remembered about this set when I saw the Pyro set.
I really hope this set gets made otherwise I guess I'll have to deal with Pyro

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #671 on: Sun, 20 November 2016, 15:01:31 »
Ok here is a mockup with blue number row. I think it looks good and is balanced.

I just remembered about this set when I saw the Pyro set.
I really hope this set gets made otherwise I guess I'll have to deal with Pyro

Get both  ;)

Will there be UK keycaps like in other GMK sets, e.g. below? Thanks.

https://www.keyclack.com/product/gb-gmk-hydro

Since we have less keys than Carbon i'll look into it. However this is not a promise.

a poll, maybe? and options for how the colour layout done like num row only, wasd only or home row only etc...

Let me try first to work out something what suits both parties  ;)

Offline polentA

• Formerly withoutrulers
  • GMK plz
« Reply #672 on: Sun, 20 November 2016, 15:11:56 »
Ok here is a mockup with blue number row. I think it looks good and is balanced.
Show Image

Ooh yeah, I really like that! This is a great compromise in my opinion. :thumb:

Offline thelaughingman

« Reply #673 on: Sun, 20 November 2016, 18:41:50 »
Show Image

how about blue "5" in the numpad cluster? and maybe "| \" in blue as well?

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #674 on: Sun, 20 November 2016, 19:18:26 »

Let me try first to work out something what suits both parties  ;)

I like that mockup a lot!

Offline krisst

« Reply #675 on: Sun, 20 November 2016, 21:06:41 »
Personal preference, still prefer full orange. Just seems a little odd to have different colour, maybe it's OCD.

Hopefully the blue number row is an add-on.

Offline gnmar2723

« Reply #676 on: Sun, 20 November 2016, 21:45:34 »
Personal preference, still prefer full orange. Just seems a little odd to have different colour, maybe it's OCD.

Hopefully the blue number row is an add-on.

Agreed. I just think having two different legend colors makes the set too busy. An add-on would be a good compromise but it wouldn't be free.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #677 on: Mon, 21 November 2016, 15:33:00 »
Ok here is the thing. I'll keep all legends orange for the base kit. The blue number row is planned for an novelties addon which will be first unlocked after selling 500 sets. The reason behind that unlocking thing, is that such novelties addons are niche. Anyway after 500 set there is also a chance for Planck/Ergodox kit and maybe also an international kit. That are the same kits like for Carbon. Though instead of graphene (honeycumb structure) enter and 2u keys there will be a star on stripes. A glorious hammer and sickle would give the whole a nice touch.

I'll make some mockups ready and will present them here. However keep in mind i'll consider these only after 500 sold sets. How popular Yuri gets we will learn to know first. I hope first to break the MOQ for the base set which would make me happy. The addons are nice to have but not as necessary.

Offline dsaf

« Reply #678 on: Mon, 21 November 2016, 16:05:41 »
Since we have less keys than Carbon i'll look into it. However this is not a promise.

Thanks, I am still angry about how Carbon was sold via three separate drops. If only I knew international kit was going to happen!

Also, any plans for an SA Carbon re-run in 2017 (ideally very-very soon)?

Offline giammin

« Reply #679 on: Mon, 21 November 2016, 16:15:05 »
Though instead of graphene (honeycumb structure) enter and 2u keys there will be a star on stripes. A glorious hammer and sickle would give the whole a nice touch.

I'll make some mockups ready and will present them here. However keep in mind i'll consider these only after 500 sold sets. How popular Yuri gets we will learn to know first. I hope first to break the MOQ for the base set which would make me happy. The addons are nice to have but not as necessary.

A CCCP spacebar? If not possibile a capslock o shift key

Offline renzpwns

• I didn't like money in my wallet anyways.
« Reply #680 on: Mon, 21 November 2016, 16:18:05 »
Hammer and Sickle is the only thing you need to say bb. I'm in.

Offline MAR82

• Keyboard Addict
« Reply #681 on: Mon, 21 November 2016, 16:20:09 »
I have to say that I'm a bigger fan of the orange legends for the number row. I would also love to see a normal Windows key or have blanks for it

Offline e_l_tang

« Reply #682 on: Mon, 21 November 2016, 20:18:45 »
Ok here is the thing. I'll keep all legends orange for the base kit. The blue number row is planned for an novelties addon which will be first unlocked after selling 500 sets. The reason behind that unlocking thing, is that such novelties addons are niche. Anyway after 500 set there is also a chance for Planck/Ergodox kit and maybe also an international kit. That are the same kits like for Carbon. Though instead of graphene (honeycumb structure) enter and 2u keys there will be a star on stripes. A glorious hammer and sickle would give the whole a nice touch.

I think this is a much better approach than the one you took when selling Carbon.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #683 on: Mon, 21 November 2016, 20:28:40 »

I like that approach a lot, if that is doable it's definitely a very reasonable way to handle all the kits - I apologise in advance if I sound like a broken record (as I've been quite vocal about it in the past in this thread already) but is there any chance you may do something similar with the Cyrillic alphas kit? Eg. after x amount of base sets are sold to ensure the set's overall success you'd release the alternative alphabet as an addon?

Offline rioc

• Very Text - 键盘上瘾 ____rioc industries ink.
« Reply #684 on: Tue, 29 November 2016, 07:21:50 »
any updates on when about to expect the GB?

Offline need

« Reply #685 on: Tue, 29 November 2016, 08:00:14 »
Early 2017 I think

Offline rioc

« Reply #686 on: Tue, 29 November 2016, 08:19:26 »
Early 2017 I think

already? damn, my wallet will never have time to restock properly :D

Offline giammin

« Reply #687 on: Tue, 29 November 2016, 08:55:19 »
hope this drop will be organized like mito's godspeed
one drop with multiple set.

one shipping
one wait
one duty fees
less hassle

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #688 on: Tue, 29 November 2016, 10:40:28 »
Early 2017 I think

Most probably, i'll offer international kit from the beginning. With 100 moq its pretty inviting. Other kits will be unlocked probably with higher MOQs. Maybe after 250 or 500 sets. Biggest thing is, i got no idea how well it will sell. And nobody knows it or is able to predict it.

Offline gnmar2723

« Reply #689 on: Tue, 29 November 2016, 11:50:03 »
Early 2017 I think

Most probably, i'll offer international kit from the beginning. With 100 moq its pretty inviting. Other kits will be unlocked probably with higher MOQs. Maybe after 250 or 500 sets. Biggest thing is, i got no idea how well it will sell. And nobody knows it or is able to predict it.
Is it going to be run through MD or another website like zeal, or just here on Geekhack?

Offline pomk

« Reply #690 on: Tue, 29 November 2016, 13:26:10 »
Early 2017 I think

Great!  :thumb:
It is nice to see whether international is tipping before committing to buy an expensive set that you cannot use.

Offline need

« Reply #691 on: Tue, 29 November 2016, 17:29:49 »
Early 2017 I think

Is it going to be run through MD or another website like zeal, or just here on Geekhack?
100% Massdrop

Offline gnmar2723

« Reply #692 on: Tue, 29 November 2016, 18:56:57 »
Early 2017 I think

100% Massdrop
Hopefully that will help get the numbers up

Offline rioc

« Reply #693 on: Wed, 30 November 2016, 01:39:26 »
Early 2017 I think

true, nobody can predict it, but I think it'll run quite well... also, great to hear about the international kit. Can't wait until a DSA Variant of this hits the GB Phase sometime..! :)

Offline need

« Reply #694 on: Wed, 30 November 2016, 02:41:47 »

Offline need

« Reply #695 on: Wed, 30 November 2016, 02:42:32 »
Early 2017 I think

true, nobody can predict it, but I think it'll run quite well... also, great to hear about the international kit. Can't wait until a DSA Variant of this hits the GB Phase sometime..! :)
DSA variant probably will never happen...

Offline rioc

« Reply #696 on: Wed, 30 November 2016, 03:10:37 »
Early 2017 I think

DSA variant probably will never happen...

I can dream... it would be perfect

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #697 on: Tue, 13 December 2016, 15:31:24 »
So i guess everybody is ok with the current Base Set? Keep in mind Yuri will drop pretty soonish.... And with a new Year i'll start to work on a new Project.

Note there are no 1.5u row 4 Control keys. Instead there are Kosmonauts.

Offline thad

« Reply #698 on: Tue, 13 December 2016, 15:32:16 »
I love it. Let's get this show on the road.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #699 on: Tue, 13 December 2016, 15:36:37 »
Aye aya, comrade!