Poll

Which realization of Cyrillics do you prefer?

Double shot single letters
Standard QWERTY with front printed Cyrillics

Author Topic: [IC] YURI R1 GMK (Cherry profile)  (Read 356477 times)

Offline Vigrith

Re: [IC] YURI R1 GMK (Cherry profile)
« Reply #750 on: Thu, 15 December 2016, 17:11:32 »
Just to show you the pure cyrillic alphas as mockup.
Show Image

I need an adult.

Offline rioc

• Very Text - 键盘上瘾 ____rioc industries ink.
« Reply #751 on: Fri, 16 December 2016, 01:37:50 »
Show Image

holy mother of god... I so hope cyrillics meets MoQ... need this so much :)

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #752 on: Fri, 16 December 2016, 02:50:52 »
Show Image

I need an adult.

Show Image

I've always hated modifiers with text; but now.... they really are out of place. It's undeniable.

Offline rioc

• Very Text - 键盘上瘾 ____rioc industries ink.
« Reply #753 on: Fri, 16 December 2016, 03:04:03 »
Show Image

I need an adult.

Show Image

I've always hated modifiers with text; but now.... they really are out of place. It's undeniable.

damn it, you're right... does GMK have symbols only mods?

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #754 on: Fri, 16 December 2016, 03:17:59 »
Show Image

I need an adult.

Show Image

damn it, you're right... does GMK have symbols only mods?

we need these legends... Can anyone contact GMK? This would be very intersting... maybe they already have the legends.

155524-0

155526-1

this is my favourite symbol (operating system key)

It seems that gmk already has the legends for these!!
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78973.0

pdf with long list of ISO symbols, the standard has been updated in 2009, but I can't find that version
* simboli ISO_9995-7.pdf
« Last Edit: Fri, 16 December 2016, 11:10:49 by Giorgio »

Offline giammin

« Reply #755 on: Fri, 16 December 2016, 03:27:46 »
Show Image

I need an adult.

Show Image

modifiers with cyrillic legends!!

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #756 on: Fri, 16 December 2016, 08:06:44 »

I also prefer icon modifiers by far for the better part, though they look good in certain sets - if icons were to be possible I agree that'd look much better with the Cyrillic alphas, though seeing as it is already so hard to make those a reality (both logistically as well as when it comes to the price they'll cost) I imagine it may be practically impossible to also add an icon modifier addon kit on top of that with GMK as the manufacturer. My comment was just expressing how well made T0mb3ry's Cyrillic letters turned out, they're amazing.

If icons could somehow happen I'm sure it'd look even better though, 100%.

Offline T0mb3ry

• https://www.instagram.com/t0mb3ry_gh/
    • Flickr
« Reply #757 on: Fri, 16 December 2016, 12:31:33 »
Honestly i am heavily against only icon modifiers. They desolate the set and make it dry. In short this is a no go for me. Keep in mind base set is latin and cyrillics are optional. I dont even know if cyrillics will drop because it depends on sales dynamic.

I've not planned to make cyrillics for this run. However i can make it happen but not on cost of the base set.

Offline loud_asian

« Reply #758 on: Fri, 16 December 2016, 12:40:15 »
Honestly i am heavily against only icon modifiers. They desolate the set and make it dry. In short this is a no go for me. Keep in mind base set is latin and cyrillics are optional. I dont even know if cyrillics will drop because it depends on sales dynamic.

I've not planned to make cyrillics for this run. However i can make it happen but not on cost of the base set.

ty t0mb3ry, only icon modifiers would have ruined this set for me
EM7 | Nunu | Virgo | Salamander | SS AEK64

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #759 on: Fri, 16 December 2016, 12:49:22 »

Interesting point of view. I really like the icon only Cherry modifiers. I like also the text and icon modifiers, as well. I really cannot understand how the icon only ones make the set to look desolated; but well, who am I to question a successful key set designer.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #760 on: Fri, 16 December 2016, 13:00:07 »

Fair enough of course, I think icon only is a love/hate sort of thing - I really like them and I agree with Ideus that the Cherry ones are great but it's not that big of a deal to me personally, I don't think the Latin legends ruin the "immersion" with the Cyrillic alphas and I'm still perfectly content with it if you do somehow make the optional kit available.

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #761 on: Fri, 16 December 2016, 13:06:00 »
i think a separate group buy for icon only modifiers to match this colorway would be successful. there was a recent group buy in WoB that easily met MOQ.
I would also like to see an icons-only mods for the cryllic alphas. just seems cleaner

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #762 on: Fri, 16 December 2016, 15:47:51 »
i think a separate group buy for icon only modifiers to match this colorway would be successful. there was a recent group buy in WoB that easily met MOQ.
I would also like to see an icons-only mods for the cryllic alphas. just seems cleaner

The set you mentioned included only the modifiers for the main alpha area of the layout; but here, the discussion is about a set that replace the legends of the nine block as well. Just for the record. I am interested in such a set personally, but I am not sure if that may get enough attention.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #763 on: Fri, 16 December 2016, 16:38:37 »

The set you mentioned included only the modifiers for the main alpha area of the layout; but here, the discussion is about a set that replace the legends of the nine block as well. Just for the record. I am interested in such a set personally, but I am not sure if that may get enough attention.

I am considering to make such child deal. It will be pretty small: four enters (iso too and different colors), shifts (2.75u, 2 x 2.25u, 1.75u and 1.25u), two caps locks (with lock too), tab and two backspaces ( one for hhkb row 2 1.5u).
If there was kind of GB i would appretiate if someone could give me a link for it.

Anyway i'll show you the child deals for Yuri probably tommorow or after.

So far i like this discussion. This is how it should be.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #764 on: Fri, 16 December 2016, 16:53:16 »

I am considering to make such child deal. It will be pretty small: four enters (iso too and different colors), shifts (2.75u, 2 x 2.25u, 1.75u and 1.25u), two caps locks (with lock too), tab and two backspaces ( one for hhkb row 2 1.5u).
If there was kind of GB i would appretiate if someone could give me a link for it.

The one I was referring to was this.

Offline poolside

« Reply #765 on: Sat, 17 December 2016, 04:15:29 »

Looks like Yuri will get a lot of nice additions  :)

Thanks for considering the extra 2.25 Shift for the Icon add-on :thumb:
Which kind of 1.5u Backspace legend will be used? Simple left-arrow-like or fat with the little cross inside?

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #766 on: Sat, 17 December 2016, 13:42:41 »
Ok here is the next update.

Base kit

International kit

Cyrillic kit

Icon mods kit

Ergodox/Planck kit

Novelties

Community kit

Spacebar kit

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #767 on: Sat, 17 December 2016, 13:57:00 »
Sorry for the marginal question, does the 5 in the numpad have a dot or a bar? Hope for a bar :thumb:

Nice set, great work behind it!
« Last Edit: Sat, 17 December 2016, 16:14:28 by Giorgio »

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #768 on: Sat, 17 December 2016, 13:58:17 »
Disregarding the kits I won't be purchasing as I don't know enough about them (ergodox and international ISO), all others look flawless. I love the look of the icon mods.

Aside the novelties, the plan for these is still to potentially unlock the remainder of them as the drop progresses based off of how well the base sells right?

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #769 on: Sat, 17 December 2016, 14:17:43 »
Sorry for the marginal question, does the 5 in the numpad have a dot or a bar? Hope for a dot  :thumb:

Probably dot per default like in Carbon.

Aside the novelties, the plan for these is still to potentially unlock the remainder of them as the drop progresses based off of how well the base sells right?

Dont know how its going to be. My plan is to relaease base set only first and then release all other child kits, if base kit salls well.

In the end i need to talk about this with MD. Its possible also that everything will be available from the start.

« Last Edit: Sat, 17 December 2016, 14:21:57 by T0mb3ry »

Offline dsaf

« Reply #770 on: Sat, 17 December 2016, 14:25:02 »
Is star and stripes a soviet airspace symbol?

How about lunokhod and sputnik novelties as well?

Also is arrow pointing down a standard GMK caps lock symbol?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: Sat, 17 December 2016, 14:37:31 by dsaf »

Offline giammin

« Reply #771 on: Sat, 17 December 2016, 14:42:29 »
Please add hammer and sickle in the novelty!

IMHO base kit should be just the caps to cover a tkl to take price low and increase buyers and then add a specific kit for non standard layout. Just like the dasher and dancer kit now on massdrop

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #772 on: Sat, 17 December 2016, 14:50:08 »
IMHO base kit should be just the caps to cover a tkl to take price low and increase buyers and then add a specific kit for non standard layout. Just like the dasher and dancer kit now on massdrop

That's SA though, SP buys are completely different from GMK's in terms of logistics, you can't really compare the 2.

Offline dsaf

« Reply #773 on: Sat, 17 December 2016, 14:56:01 »

The topic is space though, e.g. SA Godspeed did not have eagles or stars-n-stripes. (Though I wouldn't say no to hammer and sickle personally)
« Last Edit: Sat, 17 December 2016, 15:00:09 by dsaf »

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #774 on: Sat, 17 December 2016, 15:15:20 »

Do not mix GMK and SP drops/group buys. Also this is not a proven design. The base set stays as it is and it has everything you need. Everything else is optional.

There will be also hammer and sicle pack, which will probably contain also keys for dolch, classic beige and carbon.

Is star and stripes a soviet airspace symbol?

How about lunokhod and sputnik novelties as well?

Also is arrow pointing down a standard GMK caps lock symbol?

Show Image
Show Image

Thanks.

This is only Yuri related set. He was military member and UDSSR citizen. Star on stripes and "hammer and sickle" are on point.

By the way that lunohod has way to many details for doubleshot.

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #775 on: Sat, 17 December 2016, 16:16:09 »
Sorry for the marginal question, does the 5 in the numpad have a dot or a bar? Hope for a dot  :thumb:

Probably dot per default like in Carbon.

Dont know how its going to be. My plan is to relaease base set only first and then release all other child kits, if base kit salls well.

In the end i need to talk about this with MD. Its possible also that everything will be available from the start.

...bar... I wanted to say bar. Who wants a dot :-DDDD

Offline renzpwns

• I didn't like money in my wallet anyways.
« Reply #776 on: Sat, 17 December 2016, 16:19:09 »
WOOOO ICON MODS!

Offline soilheart

« Reply #777 on: Sat, 17 December 2016, 16:26:31 »
WOOOO ICON MODS!

Yeah, that kinda sums up my feelings.

And here I was thinking I was going to sit this one out =P
(K70 -  Brown) --- Pok3r - Clear --- Ducky Shine4 - Clear --- WKL B.face X2 - 67g Zealios --- CP-SQ - 78g Zealios --- RS68 - 62g Zealios
(Sold/retired - To be built)

Offline pomk

« Reply #778 on: Sat, 17 December 2016, 17:08:46 »
If at all possible, have the international kit end at the same time as the base set, or preferably before it. That way you won't lose people who really need the international to tip, as the base is useless without it for some people, me included. For this drop the cyrillic only set is a nice fallback though.

As for the cyrillic set, could you add the ISO/cyrillic keys to it? (R3 "/\" and R4 "\|" or also "/\", depending on source. I'm not Russian so I would not know for sure). As we all know, soviets used the ISO layout (or at least it was used by many systems), so it would be nice to include the keys to allow that option.

Edit: on a closer inspection I get more and more confused about the layouts in various cyrillic keyboards. Still an ISO option would need just 2 more keys to the kit. One ISO layout to cover could be the Ukrainian ISO cyrillic, which would need maybe just one additional key on top.
« Last Edit: Sat, 17 December 2016, 18:23:18 by pomk »

Offline thad

« Reply #779 on: Sat, 17 December 2016, 17:09:49 »
Looks better with every update. Do you have a better idea of the time frame for the drop? My wallet needs to prepare for this one

Offline giammin

« Reply #780 on: Sun, 18 December 2016, 03:36:08 »

The topic is space though, e.g. SA Godspeed did not have eagles or stars-n-stripes. (Though I wouldn't say no to hammer and sickle personally)

Then a CCCP enter like yury's helmet

Offline oatmicro

« Reply #781 on: Sun, 18 December 2016, 06:34:18 »

Then a CCCP enter like yury's helmet

I thought it was a noodle bowl on the first time.  :'(
« Last Edit: Sun, 18 December 2016, 09:34:40 by oatmicro »

Offline Jedi

« Reply #782 on: Sun, 18 December 2016, 10:13:15 »
International and other "add on" packs with the exception of a novelty pack would be wise to separate. The reason for this is that not Everyone can pay the selling price in one drop.  Thus giving the kit a break will keep people focused on committing to the base. If OP is right and the other kits struggle, it would be better to have them struggle after the base is sold. My $0.02.

Offline pomk

« Reply #783 on: Sun, 18 December 2016, 14:26:02 »
International and other "add on" packs with the exception of a novelty pack would be wise to separate. The reason for this is that not Everyone can pay the selling price in one drop.  Thus giving the kit a break will keep people focused on committing to the base. If OP is right and the other kits struggle, it would be better to have them struggle after the base is sold. My $0.02.
No! Me and many international folk will not buy the base set if the internationl kit does not tip.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #784 on: Sun, 18 December 2016, 14:41:28 »
No! Me and many international folk will not buy the base set if the internationl kit does not tip.

And because of this i want first base set to tip without any addons or whatever and unlock the addons first if the sale number over specific time show some promissing results....

Offline pomk

« Reply #785 on: Sun, 18 December 2016, 15:01:56 »
All is fine just as long as I don't have to commit to the base set before there is a definitive answer on the international (or cyrillic ;)) tipping or not.

Offline MandrewDavis

• Chasin' That Neon Rainbow
« Reply #786 on: Sun, 18 December 2016, 20:16:57 »
So T0mb3ry, when you are creating new keysets do you come up with something you really like and want for your own keyboard, but need everyone else to hit MOQ? Or is this just a hobby of yours, putting the time into designing all these awesome sets for the community?
« Last Edit: Sun, 18 December 2016, 21:07:52 by MandrewDavis »
I've come to view humanity as predominantly monkey business.

My Classifieds Thread

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #787 on: Sun, 18 December 2016, 20:48:13 »
Beware: The icon mod kit is missing the Tab key.

« Last Edit: Sun, 18 December 2016, 20:51:02 by ideus »

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #788 on: Mon, 19 December 2016, 00:16:15 »
Beware: The icon mod kit is missing the Tab key.

Show Image

Good catch, thank you ;)

So T0mb3ry, when you are creating new keysets do you come up with something you really like and want for your own keyboard, but need everyone else to hit MOQ? Or is this just a hobby of yours, putting the time into designing all these awesome sets for the community?

I create keysets which i personaly do really need for my self. Pretty selfish huh? Nope its not. If i would not do it, then nobody would. Also i listen to other people, who also have an interest to aquire one of my sets, and try as much as i can to fullfill their needs. If you are creating a product not for your own needs then you are doing it wrong.

Is this a hobby? Yes. I have creational fun. Seeing people receiving their sets and most of them being happy with those - is priceless.

Offline Data

« Reply #789 on: Mon, 19 December 2016, 07:04:00 »
All is fine just as long as I don't have to commit to the base set before there is a definitive answer on the international (or cyrillic ;)) tipping or not.

You should have a plan B.  Just because the base kit tips and unlocks the add-ons doesn't mean the Intl kit will meet MOQ.
« Last Edit: Mon, 19 December 2016, 07:06:00 by Data »

Offline pomk

« Reply #790 on: Mon, 19 December 2016, 07:52:59 »

You should have a plan B.  Just because the base kit tips and unlocks the add-ons doesn't mean the Intl kit will meet MOQ.
Yes, and this is why the international kit will fail if it is not closed at the same time or just before the main kit. I cannot just flip the base kit easily, as the zero profit re-sale price will be something in the area of 200 USD, thanks to taxes and relatively high shipping costs. Also, if the kits are dropped separately from each other won't the shipping costs be for each kit separately as well, further raising the cost?

My plan B is not to commit at all, as I don't need an expensive GMK set that I'm not going to use and cannot sell off at a reasonable price.  :(
« Last Edit: Mon, 19 December 2016, 07:56:44 by pomk »

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #791 on: Mon, 19 December 2016, 16:09:13 »
Ok here is the next update and i hope the last one. I will not introduce any new child deals/kits. I think this is way too much already but we'll see.

Base set
Added "00" key.
Numpad "5" is bar instead of nipple.

Icon Mods
Added missing Tab key

Cyrillics
Added "/\" key for iso. However there is no proper russian iso available and there is no proper key next to the iso short key, thus the key "><|" available in base kit makes more sense. Basically the russian iso is not defined and it does not exist officially.

Glorious keys
Sure we can discuss the chosen colors.

I think its more then enough for the first run. I will not add any new keys, atleast only if these are really necessary. Check the kits and if you find some errors, i would appreciate if you point these out in this IC.

Offline poolside

« Reply #792 on: Mon, 19 December 2016, 16:20:12 »
This update is just a "diff" to show what has changed and the International, ErgoDox, Novelties and spacebar kits are still there, right?

Exciting nonetheless  :thumb:

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #793 on: Mon, 19 December 2016, 16:23:19 »
This update is just a "diff" to show what has changed and the International, ErgoDox, Novelties and spacebar kits are still there, right?

Exciting nonetheless  :thumb:

Yes its just the "diff" :)

Check the first page to see all kits.

Offline pomk

« Reply #794 on: Mon, 19 December 2016, 16:25:01 »
The ANSI cyrillic your set uses is actually the 'windows' cyrillic layout. The mac one uses the ISO enter and has many of the keys in different positions. AFAIK, there is no official standard cyrillic layout defined by any governing body, only a de-facto standard defined by Microsoft.

Apple cyrillic layout example, just to amuse you: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:KB_Russian_Apple_Macintosh.svg

p.s. the set looks amazing and thank you for adding the one key to the cyrillic layout.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #795 on: Mon, 19 December 2016, 16:26:14 »
Hoping for the icon mod kit to be available stand alone, I'd join it, if it is. My wallet has been banned from keyboard stuff in 2017, but I cannot let this to pass, besides, wife would not notice a small pack in the mail.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #796 on: Mon, 19 December 2016, 16:29:47 »
Hoping for the icon mod kit to be available stand alone, I'd join it, if it is. My wallet has been banned from keyboard stuff in 2017, but I cannot let this to pass, besides, wife would not notice a small pack in the mail.

Gosh i am not alone who needs to fight with wife because of addiction  :))

Yeah once the icon mods are available you can buy those as stand alone, as long they tip their MOQ...

Offline giammin

« Reply #797 on: Mon, 19 December 2016, 16:31:36 »
Ok here is the next update and i hope the last one. I will not introduce any new child deals/kits. I think this is way too much already but we'll see.

Base set
Added "00" key.
Show Image

Icon Mods
Added missing Tab key
Show Image

Cyrillics
Added "/\" key for iso. However there is no proper russian iso available and there is no proper key next to the iso short key, thus the key "><|" available in base kit makes more sense. Basically the russian iso is not defined and it does not exist officially.
Show Image

Glorious keys
Show Image

I think its more then enough for the first run. I will not add any new keys, atleast only if these are really necessary. Check the kits and if you find some errors, i would appreciate if you point these out in this IC.

I can only say: WOW AWESOME

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #798 on: Mon, 19 December 2016, 16:36:04 »

Gosh i am not alone who needs to fight with wife because of addiction  :))

We could start a club or something LOL. I love the Glorious keys btw, such a nice addition man.

Offline e_l_tang

« Reply #799 on: Mon, 19 December 2016, 18:39:07 »

Base set
Added "00" key.
Show Image

Icon Mods
Added missing Tab key
Show Image

Cyrillics
Show Image

Glorious keys
Show Image

Is there any reason why numeric keypad "5" keycap with a scoop is not provided?