Author Topic: [IC] SP SA Mechanist (Restart!)  (Read 157063 times)

Offline sevenseacat

Re: [IC] SP SA Mechanist (Restart!)
« Reply #400 on: Tue, 26 June 2018, 22:49:26 »
Weighing up whether or not I want to trust a brand-new vendor with a fair bit of money... why couldn't an established vendor be used?

Offline euphxenos

« Reply #401 on: Tue, 26 June 2018, 23:37:04 »
While we wait for Techbuys to build a web site to sell this to us, do you at least have pricing information for the kits?

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #402 on: Wed, 27 June 2018, 00:03:03 »
Weighing up whether or not I want to trust a brand-new vendor with a fair bit of money... why couldn't an established vendor be used?

yeah... I have the same question...
Some information on the vendor will be appreciated

Offline cgrums

« Reply #403 on: Wed, 27 June 2018, 09:53:36 »
As a mechanical engineer I'm very tempted by this. Love the colors and novelties!

Offline Techbuys

• Techbuys | Social eCommerce
    • TechBuys.us
« Reply #404 on: Fri, 29 June 2018, 02:40:26 »

yeah... I have the same question...
Some information on the vendor will be appreciated

If you guys have any specific questions, please feel free to ask! We'd love to answer them. As far as why another company isn't handling it, I can't really speak fully on that since we weren't part of those negotiations. I can say that MD quickly books through the entire year so they likely don't have room. From the updates that Hoq posted here and on the poll, it seemed that MD was keeping him on the back-burner just in case they needed to fill a slot. We thought the design was good enough to be scheduled right away.

Additionally, something that only applies to our Chinese fans. zF will be handling Chinese orders to allow for easier payment and shipping.

While we wait for Techbuys to build a web site to sell this to us, do you at least have pricing information for the kits?

Yes! We're updating the pricing sheet right now. I'll post it tomorrow for you guys.

--

Two more renders will be posted in the next couple of days for you guys. They'll show off the Frost alphas since we haven't given you any renders for those!

--

Remember to register to be notified when we launch at https://techbuys.us and you're always free to email us at cs@techbuys.us.
« Last Edit: Sat, 30 June 2018, 06:21:13 by Techbuys »
Register to be notified of our launch (and the launch of SA Mechanist) at https://techbuys.us.

Current:

Want to have your keyset made by Techbuys? Reach out to us about licensing at cs@techbuys.us

Offline sevenseacat

« Reply #405 on: Fri, 29 June 2018, 06:02:29 »
My issues are:

a) I don't know you. You have no reputation here.
b) With so many kits, a lot of them are not likely to reach MOQ, especially given it's not on Massdrop.
c) Prices will be higher because sales are lower.

I'd much prefer to see this on a platform like Massdrop, even if it means waiting a while.

Offline euphxenos

« Reply #406 on: Fri, 29 June 2018, 12:31:21 »
There's also an issue with an unknown new vendor using an SP SA set as their first product.  With the long lead times on SA sets from SP, we're likely to lose Paypal protection before the group buy would nominally be fulfilled (and that's *if* this store takes Paypal, which we don't know, because the web site doesn't even exist yet).

Offline Kerasan

« Reply #407 on: Fri, 29 June 2018, 12:41:37 »
actually it is pretentious to start out as a new store with a GB of SP. all the new stores have been working with immediate distribution products before tackling similar projects. I do not approve of this choice. then obviously it is the last word to the creator of the set.

KMK Labs.

Offline Techbuys

• TechBuys.us
« Reply #408 on: Sat, 30 June 2018, 06:48:27 »
actually it is pretentious to start out as a new store with a GB of SP. all the new stores have been working with immediate distribution products before tackling similar projects. I do not approve of this choice. then obviously it is the last word to the creator of the set.

KMK Labs.

Hey KMK,

We're sorry that you feel that way. I'm not sure there's anything that we can say to you that we're capable of running this group buy. All 4 of us involved have experience working with a group buy company and have no doubt that we're up to the challenge.

Additionally, we will be running other, smaller group buys. Things like switches (Kailh box switches planned) and mimic-cable custom cables.

If you end up joining the group buy, we'll be excited for the opportunity to deliver excellent service.

There's also an issue with an unknown new vendor using an SP SA set as their first product.  With the long lead times on SA sets from SP, we're likely to lose Paypal protection before the group buy would nominally be fulfilled (and that's *if* this store takes Paypal, which we don't know, because the web site doesn't even exist yet).

Hey Euphxenos,

We won't be accepting PayPal in the beginning but if there's enough interest, we'd be happy to add that payment option in the future. We do understand the concerns though. We'll be allowing cancellations and full refunds while the group buy is live and if there's any delay with SP (which we don't expect), we'll allow cancellations for anyone who doesn't want to wait. We're enthusiasts ourselves and we want to be fully transparent with all of our members. Our goal is to deliver the best service available.

My issues are:

a) I don't know you. You have no reputation here.
b) With so many kits, a lot of them are not likely to reach MOQ, especially given it's not on Massdrop.
c) Prices will be higher because sales are lower.

I'd much prefer to see this on a platform like Massdrop, even if it means waiting a while.

Hey sevenseacat,

All three points are very valid. For point A, there's not really much we can say. We don't have a reputation on Geekhack but we do intend to build one. In addition to this group buy, we'll be running smaller ones to help establish us with the community. Unfortunately, those will run concurrently or after the SA Mechanist GB so it won't really help point A.  We're hopeful most will meet at least the first MOQ tier since Hoq wanted us to lower the price points down to the 50 MOQ mark. For C, prices may be slightly higher than on Massdrop depending on how many kits are sold. If there's enough interest then the prices could end up being very comparable with Massdrop SP group buys.

As far as preferring to wait for MD, the poll has been open for over a year and has 4,412 votes yet they haven't given any information other than "We plan to, at some point". If Hoq had waited for MD, it's likely that the wait would have been at least into 2019 before the group buy even started.

As a mechanical engineer I'm very tempted by this. Love the colors and novelties!

Hey Cgrums,

We're glad you like the set! I'm personally probably more excited for this set than many I've seen lately. I think it's absolutely gorgeous. You should absolutely consider joining the group buy!

Euphxenos,

Here's the pricing from a MOQ of 50 to 1,000.
198911-0

Register to be notified of our launch (and the launch of SA Mechanist) at https://techbuys.us.

Current:

Want to have your keyset made by Techbuys? Reach out to us about licensing at cs@techbuys.us

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
« Reply #409 on: Sat, 30 June 2018, 07:04:33 »

[wall of text]

If not PayPal, what other payment options are available?

And the pricing you are showing looks like pricing from SP to me. How much will kits end up actually costing buyers after factoring in handling, payment fees and profit margins?

Offline sevenseacat

« Reply #410 on: Sat, 30 June 2018, 07:35:30 »
No PayPal? Ouch.
And there's little to no chance of kits like Colevrak and many others getting to MOQ when you're off on your own platform. This makes me really sad :/

Offline Techbuys

• TechBuys.us
« Reply #411 on: Sat, 30 June 2018, 08:13:09 »

[wall of text]

And the pricing you are showing looks like pricing from SP to me. How much will kits end up actually costing buyers after factoring in handling, payment fees and profit margins?

For this group buy, we'll only be accepting credit/debit cards.

As far as the costs, those aren't the SP prices. Those are the final prices that account for payment fees and profit. Though, it should be noted that the price does not include shipping. Domestic shipping will likely be a flat $8.00

Current:

Offline beekey

« Reply #412 on: Sat, 30 June 2018, 08:51:01 »
(Attachment Link)

Any reason why the Frozen Alphas are so much more expensive? Should be the same as the normal Alphas, right?

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #413 on: Sat, 30 June 2018, 08:54:36 »
(Attachment Link)

Any reason why the Frozen Alphas are so much more expensive? Should be the same as the normal Alphas, right?

Includes numpad portion

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #414 on: Sat, 30 June 2018, 09:59:44 »

[wall of text]

For this group buy, we'll only be accepting credit/debit cards.

As far as the costs, those aren't the SP prices. Those are the final prices that account for payment fees and profit. Though, it should be noted that the price does not include shipping. Domestic shipping will likely be a flat $8.00

cool i'm out then

paypal only for GBs thank u
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline beekey

« Reply #415 on: Sat, 30 June 2018, 12:24:35 »
(Attachment Link)

Includes numpad portion

Ok, thats strange. Why combine it for one colour and not the other? Would prefer not to combine at all, but that's just me not having keyboards with a numpad.

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #416 on: Sat, 30 June 2018, 19:37:07 »
Two questions:
  • Do you have pictures of the Mods and Icon Mods kits?
  • Are you offering the Mech Tools and the Gears kits?

Euphxenos,

(Attachment Link)

Pricing in graph form:

« Last Edit: Sun, 01 July 2018, 16:21:17 by dvorcol »

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #417 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 14:03:32 »
When will this GB go live? I cannot wait

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #418 on: Mon, 02 July 2018, 13:52:59 »
Two questions:

Euphxenos,

(Attachment Link)

Pricing in graph form:
Show Image

Hey man, how r u?

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #419 on: Mon, 02 July 2018, 14:44:38 »
Two questions:

Euphxenos,

(Attachment Link)

Pricing in graph form:
Show Image

Hey man, how r u?

I'm doing well.  How about you?

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #420 on: Mon, 02 July 2018, 16:05:38 »
Two questions:

Euphxenos,

(Attachment Link)

Pricing in graph form:
Show Image

Hey man, how r u?

I'm doing well.  How about you?

:) :) :)

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #421 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 17:06:24 »
Looks like SA Green Screen in launching in 2 days. Any update on this?

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #422 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 13:44:00 »
Any updates pls?

Offline lzlzh035

« Reply #423 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 07:49:10 »
The fact that the "new website" is getting late before anything happens is worrying...

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #424 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 17:33:23 »
Let’s get this going pls.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #425 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 19:16:11 »

Here's a patience token.

It's been less than a week :))

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #426 on: Mon, 09 July 2018, 19:55:09 »

Here's a patience token.

It's been less than a week :))

Feels like forever

Offline otanishock

• One of the cool kids :>
  • ファーストラブ
« Reply #427 on: Tue, 10 July 2018, 02:55:05 »
Its getting almost 3 weeks late compared to the original planned date. What's going on?

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #428 on: Tue, 10 July 2018, 17:20:21 »

I just checked their website.  It now has a countdown which is currently saying "we are getting ready to launch in 5 hours 42 minutes" - midnight EDT.  Not sure if this means just the website or the keycap set too, but we should know soon.

Offline euphxenos

« Reply #429 on: Tue, 10 July 2018, 18:25:29 »

I just checked their website.  It now has a countdown which is currently saying "we are getting ready to launch in 5 hours 42 minutes" - midnight EDT.  Not sure if this means just the website or the keycap set too, but we should know soon.

I just looked, and now the countdown says 7 hours and 38 minutes.  There was a countdown before, but when it hit zero all that happened was that the countdown went away, and there was still no site there.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #430 on: Tue, 10 July 2018, 19:03:54 »

I just looked, and now the countdown says 7 hours and 38 minutes.  There was a countdown before, but when it hit zero all that happened was that the countdown went away, and there was still no site there.

Still counting down. Let me check with HOQ.

Offline hoq

• wolfmark.work
« Reply #431 on: Tue, 10 July 2018, 19:51:01 »

Still counting down. Let me check with HOQ.

I'm so sorry that make you all waiting so long.
I wrote to Techbuys.us to ask for the reason, but it seems their server is still not ready, and haven't reply me yet.

Offline yap68

« Reply #432 on: Wed, 11 July 2018, 01:11:23 »
Really have doubt putting money on this set after seeing things going like this

Offline otanishock

• ファーストラブ
« Reply #433 on: Wed, 11 July 2018, 01:53:35 »
I don't mean to offend anyone but please reconsider about your choice of vendor given how things are currently going. I mean the GB hasn't even started yet but now we are just looking at issues and delays. Can't even imagine what would happen in case things go south with an unresponsive vendor operating on a new and unstable server 🙈🙈🙈.

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #434 on: Wed, 11 July 2018, 08:11:20 »
Mr hoq, I don't feel so good

Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk

Offline breusch91

• * Maker
« Reply #435 on: Wed, 11 July 2018, 19:22:33 »
Yea I'm very disappointed at this time. I've been excited for this set for some time and it sucked when it got put on the backburner. Then it got brought back and seemed to be heading in the right direction. But then you chose a brand new vendor, that didnt even have an up and running website to run this. Alright, maybe I can get behind it if they seem to show good direction. Then "we arn't accepting paypal" , uhhhh what... Thats 99% of transactions in this community. Now they've become completely silent. For an established vendor thats one thing. For someone trying to set up shop and gain the trust of the community that doesn't seem to be a good decision on their part.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #436 on: Thu, 12 July 2018, 13:01:10 »
Yea I'm very disappointed at this time. I've been excited for this set for some time and it sucked when it got put on the backburner. Then it got brought back and seemed to be heading in the right direction. But then you chose a brand new vendor, that didnt even have an up and running website to run this. Alright, maybe I can get behind it if they seem to show good direction. Then "we arn't accepting paypal" , uhhhh what... Thats 99% of transactions in this community. Now they've become completely silent. For an established vendor thats one thing. For someone trying to set up shop and gain the trust of the community that doesn't seem to be a good decision on their part.

Hope Zfrontier will pick this up.

Offline otanishock

• ファーストラブ
« Reply #437 on: Thu, 12 July 2018, 20:11:58 »

Hope Zfrontier will pick this up.

zFrontier, NovelKeys, DixieMech, The Keycompany, Mykeyboard.eu, etc. There are million of other good and respectable vendors out there for each corresponding proxy. I just don't get why Hoq consistently decided to go with a newly established vendor with little to no reputation who was unresponsive and does not even accept Paypal for such a hyped up and highly anticipated set! 😥

Offline sevenseacat

« Reply #438 on: Thu, 12 July 2018, 20:21:18 »
Hell yeah, pitch it to one of those companies! I want to buy up big!

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #439 on: Fri, 13 July 2018, 23:21:20 »
Now TechBuys' site is showing a login/signup page.  I wonder if they are starting something similar to Massdrop?

Offline PotatoTM

« Reply #440 on: Sat, 14 July 2018, 00:41:35 »
It seems it is now live on techbuys.us:
https://techbuys.us/mechkeys/groupbuy/sa_mechanist.php

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #441 on: Sat, 14 July 2018, 00:56:18 »

Offline PotatoTM

« Reply #442 on: Sat, 14 July 2018, 00:56:53 »

Offline sevenseacat

« Reply #443 on: Sat, 14 July 2018, 02:18:16 »
You can't even see the buy without signing up? What????

Sorry, there are just *way* too many red flags here. Really disappointed :(

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #444 on: Sat, 14 July 2018, 03:25:01 »
This has to be some kind of elaborate joke right? Why do you cripple a group buy so much?

Offline DasGnome

« Reply #445 on: Sat, 14 July 2018, 04:42:36 »
Wow I was excited for this set almost two years ago, but you might as well say you're backed by a Nigerian prince for how scammy this looks now.

Offline gutsack

« Reply #446 on: Sat, 14 July 2018, 12:38:57 »
How many weeks of building this website and it looks like a domain-squatting spam site. Amazing. Thanks but no thanks. There's no chance of this company pulling this GB off.

Offline otanishock

• ファーストラブ
« Reply #447 on: Sat, 14 July 2018, 17:03:30 »
I wonder what Hoq has to say regarding all of this madness of a vendor. Clearly I love the set and would be eager to join the GB but certainly not like this.
« Last Edit: Sat, 14 July 2018, 18:49:20 by otanishock »

Offline Parva Ovis

« Reply #448 on: Sat, 14 July 2018, 18:18:37 »
Neither the Contact Us or About Us at the bottom of the site are actual links. :/ Also the GB description says these will be produced in Feb/March of 2018.

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #449 on: Mon, 16 July 2018, 04:45:26 »
Really a shame that this is how things have developed for a vendor choice.

Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk