Author Topic: [IC] Holtite (hotswap) sockets  (Read 32257 times)

Offline jal

• I can't believe it's not gravy!
[IC] Holtite (hotswap) sockets
« on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 21:00:17 »
Update 2017.02.14: I haven't found a better price anywhere. I'll be writing up the GB text, watch for it as soon as I figure out whatever has to happen to be posted in the GB section.

Update 2017.02.12: So, I talked to Digikey. No further price breaks, even at 25k pieces. I'll be doing some further poking around tonight, but I think the assumption at this point is that this is final pricing.

If you know of another source we should look in to, please let me know ASAP. Otherwise, we'll become a group buy and go with this.

Update 2017.02.12: Numbers from Digikey are in. They didn't offer any further per-piece discount on on order of 20,000: $.21220 and $.09408 on 8134-HC-8P2 and 9-1437514-0, respectively, is what they're offering. I will call them on Monday to see if there's a price break around there somewhere, and also to push forward the questions about packaging, which they ignored. Either way, once that's done I'll convert this to a GB and we will be off.

160202-0

Update 2017.02.09: There is no update. There will be one very soon.

Update 2017.02.03: Asking DK for a quote, and also exploring a possible alternative. The count is now at least 15,000 of each; I'm also going to ask for a figure on 20k, but doubt that will move the needle much on price. Nothing is settled. If you're interested, please fill out the form. We'll likely become a GB next week.

Also, looking at people's responses, the switch sockets will be gold. If you want lead, cinviloq is selling batches on MM: https://www.reddit.com/r/mechmarket/comments/5ricz8/usny_h_holtite_sockets_for_hot_swap_switches_w/ . Naturally, I don't want to drain off demand here, but  not everyone wants gold.

Update 2017.02.02: I'm waiting on one response I think will be coming, and then I'm going to take the numbers to Digikey. If you haven't yet, please fill out the form.

Current numbers, not counting my own or the other largish one I'm expecting:

Switch sockets: 2850, gold is folks' clear preference.
LED sockets: 2550, lead/tin is currently more popular by one vote.

Update 2017.01.29: Interest check form for your form-filling pleasure:

⤋⤋⤋⤋⤋⤋⤋⤋⤋ 
⟾     Express yourself.     ⟽ 
⇭⇭⇭⇭⇭⇭⇭⇭⇭⇭⇭⇭⇭⇭ 

Holtite IC
Howdy, folks. I’m curious to find out if we can make it worthwhile to order a big pile of Holtite sockets.         
First up, if you have no idea what I’m talking about, but want to, please read the next section. If you have no idea what I’m talking about and want to keep it that way, I’m unclear on why you’re still reading. Otherwise, you can skip the next section.

What the...?

158141-1

You stick them in the holes of your PCB, and then can seat switches without soldering. This makes the switches removable, so you can change them without desoldering. A different model exists that is the correct size for LEDs.

158142-2

I see some people misspelling them as ‘hotlites’, too. There is a video over at /r/mk on seating them:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/5a399o/guide_how_to_make_your_pcb_hotswappable/         

Also, some folks over there have created a spreadsheet to keep track of PCBs for which these work and for which they don’t:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1K1qt70E2mcuaHBXYrpPHXlpl7FNaXLo0u_TOe67cVdY/pubhtml?gid=986897710&single=true         

Application spec for sockets: http://www.te.com/commerce/DocumentDelivery/DDEController?Action=srchrtrv&DocNm=114-13033&DocType=SS&DocLang=EN                  

Ways in which these don't work

Generally, it seems they work better on Korean-designed PCBs. The important part is that they are not guaranteed to work on just any old board. Your milage is likely to vary.         
Another point is that, especially on the bottom row, alternate layout accomodations frequently end up resulting in cramped PCBs, with some through-holes being odd shapes or really tiny. You can’t use these there, and will have to solder those, depending on your exact layout/PCB combo. Also, also, sometimes through-holes overlap, so there isn't enough surrounding material in which to seat these. Sometimes that can be overcome by soldering them.

In my very limited experience, sometimes pulling a switch will also pull the socket. I’ve experienced no PCB damage from this, but I have lost a couple that went flying. This could be that I didn’t seat them well enough, but I suspect it is just the nature of the beast - through-hole sizes vary.         

There is an associated tool sold for seating these. It costs over $300, and I have not used it or even seen it in person. The soldering-iron method described in the video above works for me.

The takeaway here is that they aren't magic, designed for this particular application, or suitable for every PCB.

Motivation         

My first experiment with Holtites to facilitate hotswappable switches went fairly well, and I imagine I’m going to be using quite a bit more over the next year. In fact, I ordered more last week. The price points are annoying; they’re spendy in quantities suitable for a single board, and the volume price breaks make a serious difference, but at quantities that are absurd for anyone who isn’t mass-producing boards for a living.         

That naturally suggests a group buy. Below are details on what I’ve worked out, and some questions for those who would be interested in going in on this. But before that, a word about me.         

This would be my first group buy. I’m relatively new in these parts, but I like to think have been a decent citizen in our conversations, and I’ve been a fairly active participant in others’ buys. On the plus side, I am a very good imitation of a responsible adult, have run a company in the past and worked for myself for over a decade, so I'm pretty confident in my ability to handle the logistics, accounting, communications and whatnot. While I’m new here, I’ve been actively online since the early 90s under my real name, and have many, many reasons not to poison that. If something with the group buy somehow went massively pear-shaped, I am sufficiently financially stable to spend my way out of any mistakes I make, and will make sure that everyone who takes part ends up whole. All of that said, I  wouldn’t fault anyone here for not extending trust.         

My goals are to stockpile a fair pile for myself at a decent price, and will not mark anything up. Depending on demand, I’m considering investing in an additional little pile of these and selling those at a markup at my own store, but that may or may not happen. Either way, I intend to keep this entirely transparent, with the costs public and early-and-often communication as it proceeds, if it proceeds.       

Now that that's out of the way         

People are calling two different pin sockets ‘Holtites’ (after the series name): receptacles for switches, and for LEDs.   

For the switch sockets, there are two choices: gold or tin/lead. Gold is of course more expensive, and for our purposes, entirely cosmetic.

For the LED sockets, Digikey requires a large (50K) minimum order, and their pricing is significantly worse than Mouser. Unfortunately, Mouser is backordered, estimating nine weeks lead-time. But for a group buy, that perhaps works out OK. I have some on backorder there, mainly to see if that 9-week figure is real - sometimes it isn't. I’ve only found them in lead - as far as I know, there is no gold option made.

Pricing:

Starting at 2500 pieces, the lead switch sockets cost $0.1559 each, the gold, $0.2122. I have not yet asked for quotes on larger orders, pending getting an idea from you all about what sort of volume we’re actually talking about. 

Lead (http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/8134-HC-8P3/A114359-ND/1151726):
158143-3

Gold (http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/te-connectivity-amp-connectors/8134-HC-8P2/A114358-ND/2188091):
158148-4

For the LED sockets, Mouser sells them for $.084 each in lots of 5000. at 50K, the cost is $.079/ea.   

The second-worst thing I can imagine happening here is getting a some huge number of these in one big bag, and subsequently spending the next three years of my life counting them out. I’m going to ask Digikey and Mouser about possible options there, but the recent order I made of 1000 came in 10 100-count bags, so if that holds for larger orders (and if custom-count bagging is too expensive) I think these will be purchased and delivered in 100-count increments.

158144-5

As a bit of anecdata, my first order of these was for 250, and I ran out socketing a TKL with a numpad. I think I lost four and ruined another two installing them.

So, questions:         

• Interested?
  • Unless we end up looking at insane volume, it would be best to pick either tin/lead or gold, so we can maximize the volume discount. I’m thinking gold, because it seems to me that people like that sort of thing, but I’m frequently wrong. What are your preferences?
  • I have the impression that the LED sockets will be less popular. SIP sockets are a reasonable substitute in many situations, and anyway, lots of people don’t care about LEDs. OTOH, if you’re already committed to this insanity, my thought is if the board might ever end up in the hands of someone who likes the blinkenlights, they aren’t comparatively a huge additional expense; may as well socket it all up. So the question is, assuming you’re in for a packet of switch sockets, would you also go for the LED sockets?
  • Mr. T vs. Mothra: who wins?

158146-6
« Last Edit: Tue, 14 February 2017, 20:20:48 by jal »

Offline jal

Re: [IC] Holtite (hotswap) sockets
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 21:00:47 »
Reserved

Offline BlackInk

• "Manners maketh man"
    • TeamGSB
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 22:17:25 »
Im really interested in switch sockets but not led sockets, i would def join the GB if we had one, just a noob question....... do we need to solder the sockets into the pcb for it to stay in pcb better and wont come off if we pull the switch? Or there will be no soldering at all?

Offline jal

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 22:37:02 »
Im really interested in switch sockets but not led sockets, i would def join the GB if we had one, just a noob question....... do we need to solder the sockets into the pcb for it to stay in pcb better and wont come off if we pull the switch? Or there will be no soldering at all?

Awesome.

I'm no expert. I've done two items: a TKL board and a number pad. I didn't solder them, and as mentioned, a few came out when I pulled switches. (Not many - I think it was three, on three different switches.) Hoping to have time this weekend to stare at the PCBs, because I am considering soldering them in. I'll report back on anything of interest.

In any case, the strength of the press-fit is going to depend on the PCB - the sockets are a standard size, while the through-holes vary. I'd suggest following the link in the original post to the spreadsheet of people's experience with various boards and see if anyone has reported back about whatever you're thinking about socketing.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 22:38:28 »
I forgot about that "They see me rollin'" pic.

Offline jal

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 22:55:18 »
I forgot about that "They see me rollin'" pic.

Really the cup that makes it for me.

Offline logomachy

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 23:13:28 »
Would pick some up :thumb:

Offline Parva Ovis

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 23:14:47 »
I'm definitely interested in the switch holtites, preferably in tin because I don't want to pay more for pure cosmetics. As for the LED sockets, if I'm not mistaken, these are the correct type on Digikey for significantly cheaper.
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/te-connectivity-amp-connectors/8134-HC-5P2/A107431-ND/2135765

The Let's Split PCB calls for "48 Holtites for 1.1mm mounting holes to have removable Pro Micros". I don't suppose you know if these are the correct type of holtite for that?

Offline Hako

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 21 January 2017, 02:33:52 »
I'm in for a few hundred gold ones

Offline BlackInk

• "Manners maketh man"
    • TeamGSB
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 21 January 2017, 03:59:03 »

Awesome.

I'm no expert. I've done two items: a TKL board and a number pad. I didn't solder them, and as mentioned, a few came out when I pulled switches. (Not many - I think it was three, on three different switches.) Hoping to have time this weekend to stare at the PCBs, because I am considering soldering them in. I'll report back on anything of interest.

In any case, the strength of the press-fit is going to depend on the PCB - the sockets are a standard size, while the through-holes vary. I'd suggest following the link in the original post to the spreadsheet of people's experience with various boards and see if anyone has reported back about whatever you're thinking about socketing.
Thanks for the heads up, I just checked the spread sheet any didnt se any info for the duck viper/eagle pcb, do you think its compatible? But i guess that most people here will go for the gold switch sockets

Offline jal

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 21 January 2017, 06:11:30 »
Thanks for the heads up, I just checked the spread sheet any didnt se any info for the duck viper/eagle pcb, do you think its compatible? But i guess that most people here will go for the gold switch sockets

I don't know for sure, but I'd guess the Viper/Eagle has a good chance of working, because they work with the Blackbird.

Offline jal

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 21 January 2017, 11:00:47 »
I'm definitely interested in the switch holtites, preferably in tin because I don't want to pay more for pure cosmetics. As for the LED sockets, if I'm not mistaken, these are the correct type on Digikey for significantly cheaper.
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/te-connectivity-amp-connectors/8134-HC-5P2/A107431-ND/2135765

The Let's Split PCB calls for "48 Holtites for 1.1mm mounting holes to have removable Pro Micros". I don't suppose you know if these are the correct type of holtite for that?

Digikey drives me nuts sometimes, not sure how I missed those. Let me doublecheck some things for sanity and I'll update the post later (today is a bit busy).

No first-hand experience with Let's Split. The specs for those say 0.016" ~ 0.021". I can absolutely imagine them working, but would have to try it to see.

Edit: I'm running around doing too many things at once, which is making me a moron. Just realized you said 1.1mm, and I skipped over the dimensions. Specs say 0.41mm ~ 0.53mm. The Let's Split board doesn't say what their tolerances are. Again, I can see them working - a half-mm variance in hole sizes is very easy to imagine.
« Last Edit: Sat, 21 January 2017, 11:09:44 by jal »

Offline nastrovje

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 21 January 2017, 19:56:16 »
Just ordered some  :)) But would be in for more
Gold preferred

Offline fatpolomanjr

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 21 January 2017, 22:56:54 »
I would be down for 100 if I knew whether or not they are compatible with an Atreus62 pcb.
Some guys keep on saying they believe in Jesus, and keep doing a lot of shameful things.
Current GH Classified Post (LF Arcade Floor, Garbield and CYM Otter and Keyng)

Offline rabbitfire

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 22 January 2017, 12:41:01 »
Gold for switch socket and also want the holtite for led  :thumb:

Offline CMYK

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 22 January 2017, 13:08:29 »
With no solder holding the switches are holtite modded switches solid? Do they wobble at all?

Offline AgilePJ

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 22 January 2017, 13:32:48 »
Assuming I plan to install SIP sockets, would I be right to assume I'd probably want Holtites for both the switches and the SIP sockets, otherwise the switch would be stuck anyway?

Offline Parva Ovis

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 22 January 2017, 16:16:27 »
Assuming I plan to install SIP sockets, would I be right to assume I'd probably want Holtites for both the switches and the SIP sockets, otherwise the switch would be stuck anyway?
the SIP sockets would be superfluous in that situation, but yes, soldered SIP sockets would prevent a holtite'ed switch from coming out.

Offline TerryMathews

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 22 January 2017, 19:28:38 »
I'm interested in getting some if we can be in fulfillment by EOM February. I've got a keyboard that will need these.

Offline KINGPIN

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 23 January 2017, 07:57:29 »
I am intrested, hit me up
Levia Makes

Offline jal

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 23 January 2017, 09:53:20 »
With no solder holding the switches are holtite modded switches solid? Do they wobble at all?

Keep in mind that I've done this to two boards; one TKL (Tx84) and one numpad (TxPad), both from the same PCB designer. With the Tx design, the PCB floats - the switches hold it to the plate, which is bolted to the case.  But they're solid - no wobble. I've also not heard from anyone else that they had any wobble, but I have no first-hand experience with PCB mounting the switches yet.

I have a 60% PCB mount build to do, just need to find the time. Maybe this week.

I'm interested in getting some if we can be in fulfillment by EOM February. I've got a keyboard that will need these.

That is probably doable for the switch sockets. I would caution you about trying to make any firm plans you're going to depend on around a group buy, mine or otherwise.

Anyway. It sounds like there's enough interest. I'll move on to the part with the Google form so we can start congealing in the direction of some decisions.

Offline rabbitfire

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 23 January 2017, 23:17:34 »

Keep in mind that I've done this to two boards; one TKL (Tx84) and one numpad (TxPad), both from the same PCB designer. With the Tx design, the PCB floats - the switches hold it to the plate, which is bolted to the case.  But they're solid - no wobble. I've also not heard from anyone else that they had any wobble, but I have no first-hand experience with PCB mounting the switches yet.

I have a 60% PCB mount build to do, just need to find the time. Maybe this week.

That is probably doable for the switch sockets. I would caution you about trying to make any firm plans you're going to depend on around a group buy, mine or otherwise.

Anyway. It sounds like there's enough interest. I'll move on to the part with the Google form so we can start congealing in the direction of some decisions.

I'm in. Will order about 200-300 each (switch and led). Need them for my Mira  :thumb:

Offline bmmcwhirt

• KB9YEN
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 24 January 2017, 10:55:24 »
This would be a good video to add to you OP so people have a better idea how they work and how to install them.

Unfortunately the board I'm getting ready to work on is a ps2avrgb clone which is confirmed to not work the holes are to bit. I'm going to confirm with the seller but I imagine it has the same drill sizes.

If I learn that I can use them I will post again confirming interest.

Offline jal

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 24 January 2017, 19:58:32 »
This would be a good video to add to you OP so people have a better idea how they work and how to install them.

Unfortunately the board I'm getting ready to work on is a ps2avrgb clone which is confirmed to not work the holes are to bit. I'm going to confirm with the seller but I imagine it has the same drill sizes.

Thanks for the video! I'll add it.

In general, I need to update the post and put up a form. Life is eating a ton of my time at the moment; will update soon.

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 24 January 2017, 21:03:06 »
Interested

Offline rabbitfire

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 24 January 2017, 23:06:57 »

Thanks for the video! I'll add it.

In general, I need to update the post and put up a form. Life is eating a ton of my time at the moment; will update soon.

Bring this GB to live pls!  ;D  ;D  ;D

Offline iFreilicht

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 26 January 2017, 10:23:24 »
Damnit, I just got mine last week, payed like 40 bucks total for them :/

It's worth noting that these are well-suited for either MX or Alps footprints, but don't work that well with universal ones that have one elongated hole. They can still work, but mine frequently stick to the switches when pulling them out.

Also watch out for PCBs where stabiliser mount holes overlap with soldering points for the switches. The bigger the overlap, the less likely it's going to work. I haven't experimented with fixing them in place with solder yet.
Sentraq S60-X, dyed blank PBT keycaps, Gateron Browns

Offline Liam

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 26 January 2017, 11:58:49 »

It's worth noting that these are well-suited for either MX or Alps footprints, but don't work that well with universal ones that have one elongated hole. They can still work, but mine frequently stick to the switches when pulling them out.

Also watch out for PCBs where stabiliser mount holes overlap with soldering points for the switches. The bigger the overlap, the less likely it's going to work. I haven't experimented with fixing them in place with solder yet.
Have you tried solder the sockets into your keyboard? I think that'll fix any kind of loosing problems with those sockets, and if one's broken you can just desolder and solder a new one back in.
IBM Model M - Leopold 750r - Custom Numpad

Offline gt1989

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 27 January 2017, 09:06:20 »
I'm interested, there are a few GBs I have my eye on that I would most likely use these on.

Offline doooostin

« Reply #29 on: Sat, 28 January 2017, 13:43:45 »
I'm in for a few hundred led and switch gold ones.

Offline gabeplaysdrums

« Reply #30 on: Sat, 28 January 2017, 19:38:23 »
I would be interested in at least 200 tin/lead switch sockets

Offline limitz

• "the old gods stir and will not let me sleep..."
« Reply #31 on: Sat, 28 January 2017, 21:36:07 »
I'm in
Mmm... machined aluminum

Offline Hako

« Reply #32 on: Mon, 30 January 2017, 01:14:20 »
Filled out the IC form. When do you expect to start the actual group buy?

Offline E3E

« Reply #33 on: Mon, 30 January 2017, 01:26:59 »

If you managed to use the same sockets you use with MX with Alps, then that's news to me. They're smaller than the 1.2 mm pins that Alps needs. I had to use the largest holtites available and widen the PCB vias with a drill to get them to fit.

For combination PCBs, they still fit pretty snug (keep in mind, I still drilled the pads), but I used epoxy putty to ensure they'd stay put.

I'm sure the smaller sockets will fit into the vias of Alps PCBs without modification, but I'm also sure that that will make the clearance too small for the Alps pins.

Offline jal

« Reply #34 on: Mon, 30 January 2017, 09:52:53 »
Filled out the IC form. When do you expect to start the actual group buy?

A good question. Soonish; I'd like to see how many responses the form gets over the next few days, and towards the end of the week I'll reach out to Digikey and Mouser about quantities and packing options. Once we have answers there, there's no good reason to sit on it much longer, so probably some time next week.

I didn't get that more comprehensive update done; apologies. The meat of it is that I received the LED sockets I ordered from Mouser. Amusingly, they now claim an 11 week lead (when I ordered it was nine), and I received mine about two weeks after ordering. So I really don't know what that means. In any case, I think we'll be ordering a different SKU from Digikey (mentioned above by Parva Ovis), so that's probably moot.

The other thing to mention is that I finished up the Leeku board (Tx84) on which I ran out of sockets. About 2/3rds of the board are done with lead sockets, and I finished with gold. What was interesting is that although identical in size, I think the smoother gold surface finish makes a difference; the gold ones seemed both more likely to snap in (as I think they're supposed to), but also to pull out. So I do think there's a functional difference that may matter, depending on the board. My guess is that, if you have a PCB with very regular, correctly-sized holes, gold is superior, but for PCBs with more variation, the lead may be better. But *please* keep in mind that I'm extrapolating from a sample size of two boards (Tx84 and TxPad, both by the same designer). There is a very high degree of risk that I'm talking out of my ass.

I didn't have time to go at soldering the less-solid holes (or even finishing up the board), so no update from me on that, yet. And if anyone has any extra weekend lying around, I could really use some.

My experience with the lead LED sockets was unsurprising; they went in. They are of course a tiny bit tinier than the tiny switch sockets, and that made a difference to my shaky hands - I lost quite a few more than I did with the switch sockets. Those things skitter like mad; I'm now wishing it had occurred to me to put some cloth over the table first.

Offline ReverbSlush

• 16/52 RNG score
« Reply #35 on: Mon, 30 January 2017, 11:38:31 »
I'm interested for 100 or 200 depending on price..

Offline Skuloth

« Reply #36 on: Mon, 30 January 2017, 14:40:26 »
This is a pretty neat idea.
Planck w/ Zealios

Offline iFreilicht

« Reply #37 on: Thu, 02 February 2017, 03:10:12 »

Have you tried solder the sockets into your keyboard? I think that'll fix any kind of loosing problems with those sockets, and if one's broken you can just desolder and solder a new one back in.

As I said, not yet. I will do so in the future, but I'm a little concerned that soldering them might make it harder to insert switches as the only place you can really solder are the leaves that will move during an insertion. It could also be that after a certain number of insertion cycles, the solder joints break. I'll probably try to solder them while switches are already in.

Offline Liam

« Reply #38 on: Fri, 03 February 2017, 10:07:03 »

As I said, not yet. I will do so in the future, but I'm a little concerned that soldering them might make it harder to insert switches as the only place you can really solder are the leaves that will move during an insertion. It could also be that after a certain number of insertion cycles, the solder joints break. I'll probably try to solder them while switches are already in.
I think you shouldn't since there're lines run along the sockets, you'd solder the whole socket, plus the switch's leg into the board. Also, the solder joint wouldn't be that weak to break during insertion, but now I see the problem that if you solder the socket in, its leg won't be able to broaden for insertions. Anyway it's just a theory, gotta practice to see how it's going.

Offline E3E

« Reply #39 on: Fri, 03 February 2017, 10:09:59 »
You can solder holtites in if need be, but you have to be very careful and make sure that you only solder the rim of the socket to the pad and that's it. It has to be very precise. With my Alps holtite modding, I had to drill the PCB and fix some traces/connections, sometimes that required soldering a small jumper wire (like one strand of copper)  to the bottom of the socket, and that solder has to be dead on or else it'll fill the socket and ruin it.

For more peace of mind, you could use the mill max solderable sockets. The only issue there is that they do not sit flush with the PCB and so would elevate the switches to a slight degree.

Offline krisst

« Reply #40 on: Fri, 03 February 2017, 10:19:32 »
Interested in getting some for my VE.A. It's still sitting in the box...

Offline jal

« Reply #41 on: Fri, 03 February 2017, 10:33:54 »
[deleted; hit the wrong button.]
« Last Edit: Fri, 03 February 2017, 11:14:41 by jal »

Offline iFreilicht

« Reply #42 on: Fri, 03 February 2017, 11:56:26 »

I think you shouldn't since there're lines run along the sockets, you'd solder the whole socket, plus the switch's leg into the board. Also, the solder joint wouldn't be that weak to break during insertion, but now I see the problem that if you solder the socket in, its leg won't be able to broaden for insertions. Anyway it's just a theory, gotta practice to see how it's going.

As E3E said (and he really is an authority on this), soldering can be done, but it has to be done carefully. Of course you have to avoid soldering the switch to the socket, but that's probably the easiest. I'm not sure whether I could actually solder just the rim. E3E, how thick was the PCB you were using for this? Mine is 1.6mm thick and I'm fairly certain that the whole rim is inside the plated through hole. Maybe that small gap could be filled with a little solder, who knows.

I'll have to try once I have a bit of time, but that'll have to wait.

Offline E3E

« Reply #43 on: Fri, 03 February 2017, 13:47:06 »
As E3E said (and he really is an authority on this), soldering can be done, but it has to be done carefully. Of course you have to avoid soldering the switch to the socket, but that's probably the easiest. I'm not sure whether I could actually solder just the rim. E3E, how thick was the PCB you were using for this? Mine is 1.6mm thick and I'm fairly certain that the whole rim is inside the plated through hole. Maybe that small gap could be filled with a little solder, who knows.

I'll have to try once I have a bit of time, but that'll have to wait.

I just so happen to have one of my PCBs without any switches on it at the moment as I haven't liked using it with the case I had it in. It measures out to be 1.6mm as well. Yeah, holtites function by essentially wedging into the plating of the through hole to get the electrical contact it needs. You can definitely solder just the rim of the socket and the pad together with a tiny amount of solder and it'd work. I don't know about trying to fill the via with solder so you can get contact IN the via. That would probably just fill the socket up.

I'd put the socket in, and if it seems loose, then reset it again and then solder the rim onto the pad. Doing this for 60+ pairs of sockets would be pretty tedious and stressful, but I actually used epoxy putty to fill in the gaps left in the PCB's I had that were MX + Alps compatible (much larger than there would be if it was Alps or MX only). That worked well, but even then, the extra support wasn't very needed. I did not add any extra support to my Duck Lightpad's PCB when I hotswap modded it.

Solder should do the trick if you need the support though.

Offline rabbitfire

« Reply #44 on: Wed, 08 February 2017, 21:35:24 »
any update?  :rolleyes:

Offline jal

« Reply #45 on: Mon, 13 February 2017, 16:30:17 »
Update up above, we will become a group by very soon.

Offline jal

« Reply #46 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 20:21:23 »
Another update above. Group buy conversion process underway.

Offline rabbitfire

« Reply #47 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 21:26:59 »
Update up above, we will become a group by very soon.

Glad to hear this! Definitely join this GB. I need holtite for switch and led for 3 TKL boards :-*

Offline captsis

• Formerly matt2dlg
« Reply #48 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 21:51:10 »
I am totally buying these. id go with the cheaper of the two imo.

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #49 on: Wed, 15 February 2017, 02:25:58 »
I'd be in for probably 500-600 gold ones at the cheapest price point.
-Dana

Offline Liam

« Reply #50 on: Wed, 15 February 2017, 09:58:13 »

The cheaper one's for LED mate.

Offline jal

« Reply #51 on: Wed, 15 February 2017, 10:24:21 »

To be clear, the IC discusses both lead and gold sockets. We are going with gold sockets, because The People Have Spoken. But matt2dlg might have been signaling a preference for the lead ones.

Offline rabbitfire

« Reply #52 on: Wed, 15 February 2017, 11:03:54 »

To be clear, the IC discusses both lead and gold sockets. We are going with gold sockets, because The People Have Spoken. But matt2dlg might have been signaling a preference for the lead ones.

yes, gold sockets pls... :)

Offline krisst

« Reply #53 on: Wed, 15 February 2017, 12:33:43 »
I could be wrong but I was under the impression that the gold sockets are more resilient to tarnish and rust than the regular lead version. For a slight price increase, gold ones would be the preferred socket. I would imagine most buyers for these sockets are going to use it on boards that are not cheap, why not make it last longer if possible.

Offline jal

« Reply #54 on: Wed, 15 February 2017, 13:11:15 »
I could be wrong but I was under the impression that the gold sockets are more resilient to tarnish and rust than the regular lead version. For a slight price increase, gold ones would be the preferred socket. I would imagine most buyers for these sockets are going to use it on boards that are not cheap, why not make it last longer if possible.

I have no data on longevity of the lead/tin vs. gold, and didn't see any in Digikey's documents, but could have missed something. I see it primarily as a aesthetic choice, as I'm assuming there are few of us using, e.g., Vipers or VE.As on ocean-going vessels on the bumpers of snowmobiles, but then I'm usually wrong, so who knows.

Offline cynviloq

« Reply #55 on: Wed, 15 February 2017, 14:36:52 »

Offline jal

« Reply #56 on: Thu, 16 February 2017, 10:48:57 »
I'm interested in joining on the gold sockets - however have you reached out to TTI? Their watermark for 10,000 units is .1938 which is cheaper than Digikey.

https://www.ttiinc.com/content/ttiinc/en/apps/part-detail.html?partsNumber=7-1437514-0&mfgShortname=TYC&utm=te-hearst&channel=link&source=hearst&campaigns=mfg-te-connectivity&csp=WT.z_cid%3Dsp_TTI,Inc.-NorthAmerica_20120425_buyNow%26TE_cid%3DTTI,Inc.-NorthAmerica-1487190288812

Oh, awesome, thanks - I missed that somehow. I must be getting senile. I was about to push the button on the GB, but first let me contact them and sort a few details.

Offline cynviloq

« Reply #57 on: Thu, 16 February 2017, 10:57:17 »
I'm interested in joining on the gold sockets - however have you reached out to TTI? Their watermark for 10,000 units is .1938 which is cheaper than Digikey.

https://www.ttiinc.com/content/ttiinc/en/apps/part-detail.html?partsNumber=7-1437514-0&mfgShortname=TYC&utm=te-hearst&channel=link&source=hearst&campaigns=mfg-te-connectivity&csp=WT.z_cid%3Dsp_TTI,Inc.-NorthAmerica_20120425_buyNow%26TE_cid%3DTTI,Inc.-NorthAmerica-1487190288812

Oh, awesome, thanks - I missed that somehow. I must be getting senile. I was about to push the button on the GB, but first let me contact them and sort a few details.

Sorry did not mean to delay the process... just figured if we can save ~1.5 cents across thousands of units, may be worth it.

Offline jal

« Reply #58 on: Thu, 16 February 2017, 11:03:29 »

Sorry did not mean to delay the process... just figured if we can save ~1.5 cents across thousands of units, may be worth it.

No need to apologize - I appreciate the notice, and think others will, too. It makes a significant-enough difference to be worth it. I just need to check with them on quantities, because if their inventory is accurate, we'll be on backorder.

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #59 on: Thu, 16 February 2017, 21:32:42 »
penny saved is a penny earned and all those cliches!
Thanks for lookin out!
-Dana

Offline luumii

• A day in life without Keyboard SA
« Reply #60 on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 11:27:05 »
Anyone know if these work with Duck orion pcbs? It seems to be pretty hit and miss since it works on some but not other duck boards :(

Offline E3E

« Reply #61 on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 11:52:10 »
Anyone know if these work with Duck orion pcbs? It seems to be pretty hit and miss since it works on some but not other duck boards :(

I'm pretty sure it will work in the Orion v2 PCB. I can't say for certain, but it looked fine to me.

Offline rabbitfire

« Reply #62 on: Sat, 18 February 2017, 13:26:28 »
Do we have any specific date for GB yet?

Offline jal

« Reply #63 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 09:51:47 »
Do we have any specific date for GB yet?

Nope. Soon. The holiday may get in the way a bit.

Offline jal

« Reply #64 on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 21:12:41 »
Sorry for the continuing holdup. Communication with TTI has been a bit frustrating, and is continuing. Hopefully will get final numbers from them this week.

I really want to get this started - it is taking longer than I'd like. If I don't hear from TTI by Wednesday, I think we'll go with the Digikey pricing, and adjust down if TTI indeed can work. That would happen before billing, so the price would only go down, and we wouldn't hassle with refunds.

Thoughts?

Offline P1kas

• AKA Crono
« Reply #65 on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 21:32:00 »
-Interested?
Yes.
-It would be best to pick either tin/lead or gold, what are your preferences?
Gold.
-Assuming you’re in for a packet of switch sockets, would you also go for the LED sockets?
Yes! SIP Sockets would make switch holtites pointless(They would halve the amount of desoldering when changing switch bottoms.) LED Holtites would make both components easily removable.
-Mr. T vs. Mothra: who wins?
I don't know either of these two characters/people.

As for your question about charging more/refunding, I'd rather wait a bit more and pay the final price.
There is no such thing as "too much orange."

Offline Hako

« Reply #66 on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 21:35:39 »
I would personally prefer to start this sooner given that I will buy some regardless of what the final price ends up being and that we'll know the final pricing before invoicing anyways. I just want my sockets soon!

Offline P1kas

• AKA Crono
« Reply #67 on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 21:40:32 »
I may have misunderstood your question.

The invoices would be made with the final price, whichever it ends up being?

In that case, then I'd like this to start soon.
There is no such thing as "too much orange."

Offline jal

« Reply #68 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 08:48:53 »
OK, thanks for the feedback. We won't need to worry about complicating pricing;  I got a quote from TTI this morning.

$0.19 each @ 20,000 pieces, they can package in lots of 100. 10K pieces available immediately, the balance in "10 weeks", except verbally they said it would be much faster than that. (But to be clear, please don't count on that, and I have no ability to influence it.)

Will finish up the GB text and start however getting that approved works this evening.

Offline bthezebra

« Reply #69 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 08:49:43 »
Sounds good and I am in when its up!

Sent from the love gun.

Offline Skuloth

« Reply #70 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 09:02:05 »
Sounds good to me.
Planck w/ Zealios

Offline rabbitfire

« Reply #71 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 12:03:12 »
OK, thanks for the feedback. We won't need to worry about complicating pricing;  I got a quote from TTI this morning.

$0.19 each @ 20,000 pieces, they can package in lots of 100. 10K pieces available immediately, the balance in "10 weeks", except verbally they said it would be much faster than that. (But to be clear, please don't count on that, and I have no ability to influence it.)

Will finish up the GB text and start however getting that approved works this evening.

Finally!  :D :D :D

Offline CampAsAChamp

• Absolutely Nasty
« Reply #72 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 12:16:45 »
In for 150/200 depending on which I would be able to order.

Happy this is finally gathering steam.

Good luck on the GB!

Offline poolside

« Reply #73 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 15:23:11 »
Interested in some switch sockets as well. Will the LED Holtites be gold?

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #74 on: Wed, 01 March 2017, 20:54:09 »
"In my very limited experience, sometimes pulling a switch will also pull the socket. "

To those who've already used these sockets in a PCB and tried removing a switch: do the switch legs get gripped quite tightly?  I'm a bit concerned about pulling a switch out which can then pull the socket out with it a bit.  Once there's a plate over the PCB, fixing those sockets would require taking out all of the switches.  If I pull carefully, is there still a pretty good chance of pulling out the socket?

Of course if the sockets don't budge easily once installed, then it's not a problem (hopefully).
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline cynviloq

« Reply #75 on: Thu, 02 March 2017, 05:50:13 »
"In my very limited experience, sometimes pulling a switch will also pull the socket. "

To those who've already used these sockets in a PCB and tried removing a switch: do the switch legs get gripped quite tightly?  I'm a bit concerned about pulling a switch out which can then pull the socket out with it a bit.  Once there's a plate over the PCB, fixing those sockets would require taking out all of the switches.  If I pull carefully, is there still a pretty good chance of pulling out the socket?

Of course if the sockets don't budge easily once installed, then it's not a problem (hopefully).

If you use the method of pressing down with the iron (or enough force honestly) - then the groove should catch the PCB and you should not be able to pull the socket out with the switch. I have removed switches from sockets 15-20 times without the socket pulling off (so far).

The fit of the switch into the socket varies depending on switch manufacturer -- I've noticed that Cherry switches can be a tight fit given the width of the legs, where as most other clones fit just fine for me.

Offline krisst

« Reply #76 on: Thu, 02 March 2017, 07:58:28 »

If you use the method of pressing down with the iron (or enough force honestly) - then the groove should catch the PCB and you should not be able to pull the socket out with the switch. I have removed switches from sockets 15-20 times without the socket pulling off (so far).

The fit of the switch into the socket varies depending on switch manufacturer -- I've noticed that Cherry switches can be a tight fit given the width of the legs, where as most other clones fit just fine for me.

From your experience, is it necessary to clip off the 2 plastic legs on switches if we are using holtites? Or if it is better to leave them on instead. Thanks.

Edit: Fixed Quote
« Last Edit: Fri, 03 March 2017, 01:05:53 by krisst »

Offline Dvoraknolegends

« Reply #77 on: Fri, 03 March 2017, 00:03:36 »
Is it too late to join? I need these for my upcoming Planck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Dvoraknolegends

« Reply #78 on: Fri, 03 March 2017, 00:18:44 »
I'm in for 150 if possible (200 if not) in gold.

Offline rabbitfire

« Reply #79 on: Sun, 05 March 2017, 01:07:45 »
Still waiting for this GB.... :)

Offline DuFF

« Reply #80 on: Sun, 05 March 2017, 03:31:15 »
I'm in for 400, possibly 500 switch sockets and 400-500 led, prefere gold.

Offline Captainbuttmonkey

« Reply #81 on: Sun, 05 March 2017, 16:53:32 »

I just finished a build using these about a week ago. I was using a leeku pcb and the fit of the socket within the pcb was pretty tight, I can't comment on any other pcbs but if yours has similar measurements to this one I would be amazed if you managed to pull out a socket. They are fixed to the pcb extremely well and it is not something I had even considered until I read your post.

From your experience, is it necessary to clip off the 2 plastic legs on switches if we are using holtites? Or if it is better to leave them on instead. Thanks.

Edit: Fixed Quote

I don't think it makes any difference as long as your plate is doing its job. I have had pcb and plate mounted switches in this board and both of them have worked fine.

Offline ChitownM2

« Reply #82 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 16:53:53 »
definitely interested in these as well.

Offline ns90

« Reply #83 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 17:48:29 »
Sign me up.

Offline krisst

« Reply #84 on: Thu, 09 March 2017, 08:42:25 »
@jal, any updates on when the GB will start? Thanks.

Offline rabbitfire

« Reply #85 on: Fri, 10 March 2017, 11:47:11 »

Offline Dvoraknolegends

« Reply #86 on: Fri, 10 March 2017, 12:07:41 »
I'm in for 150 if possible (200 if not) in gold.

Offline cynviloq

« Reply #87 on: Fri, 10 March 2017, 13:28:26 »
I sent a message to jal a few days ago -- I would be willing to help run this GB if he has interest in receiving help or even take over if he's too busy.

Offline rabbitfire

« Reply #88 on: Mon, 13 March 2017, 03:53:11 »
I sent a message to jal a few days ago -- I would be willing to help run this GB if he has interest in receiving help or even take over if he's too busy.

It is good idea if someone can take over this GB. I think we have enough people who are interested in buying holtite here. Still waiting for this GB.

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #89 on: Mon, 13 March 2017, 07:22:22 »
Agreed. Ordering these form a local supplier would be prohibitably expensive under 200 pieces.

Offline King Icewind

• Keys of Kings
« Reply #90 on: Mon, 13 March 2017, 09:01:20 »
I hosted the previous GB for the holtites on keysofkings. If you'd like me to host it again, I'd be happy to.

Thanks,
Kevin

Offline jal

« Reply #91 on: Mon, 13 March 2017, 09:20:39 »
Apologies for the delays.

I just posted the GB, it is waiting for mod approval.

Offline ChitownM2

« Reply #92 on: Mon, 13 March 2017, 17:34:28 »
Great news.

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #93 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 01:08:58 »
... holding pattern. This'll be nice to cross off the list. thanks for doing it  :thumb:
-Dana

Offline krisst

« Reply #94 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 05:49:50 »

It has been a while, have not seen the GB post. Where did you post it anyways. GH or reddit?

Offline jal

« Reply #95 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 08:12:20 »

It has been a while, have not seen the GB post. Where did you post it anyways. GH or reddit?

Yes, it has been a day and is still in limbo. (Posted here.)

I'll see if I can draw a mod's attention to it.

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #96 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 09:53:40 »

Yes, it has been a day and is still in limbo. (Posted here.)

I'll see if I can draw a mod's attention to it.

Approved! https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=88193

For future reference, for anyone waiting on approval, you can either PM any online mod to have it looked at, or report your own post, which will notify all the mods when they next sign in.

I've locked this thread now that the GB has been approved.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)