Author Topic: [IC] Holtite (hotswap) sockets  (Read 32338 times)

Offline Liam

Re: [IC] Holtite (hotswap) sockets
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 15 February 2017, 09:58:13 »
I am totally buying these. id go with the cheaper of the two imo.

The cheaper one's for LED mate.
IBM Model M - Leopold 750r - Custom Numpad

Offline jal

• I can't believe it's not gravy!
« Reply #51 on: Wed, 15 February 2017, 10:24:21 »

To be clear, the IC discusses both lead and gold sockets. We are going with gold sockets, because The People Have Spoken. But matt2dlg might have been signaling a preference for the lead ones.

Offline rabbitfire

« Reply #52 on: Wed, 15 February 2017, 11:03:54 »

To be clear, the IC discusses both lead and gold sockets. We are going with gold sockets, because The People Have Spoken. But matt2dlg might have been signaling a preference for the lead ones.

yes, gold sockets pls... :)

Offline krisst

« Reply #53 on: Wed, 15 February 2017, 12:33:43 »
I could be wrong but I was under the impression that the gold sockets are more resilient to tarnish and rust than the regular lead version. For a slight price increase, gold ones would be the preferred socket. I would imagine most buyers for these sockets are going to use it on boards that are not cheap, why not make it last longer if possible.

Offline jal

« Reply #54 on: Wed, 15 February 2017, 13:11:15 »
I could be wrong but I was under the impression that the gold sockets are more resilient to tarnish and rust than the regular lead version. For a slight price increase, gold ones would be the preferred socket. I would imagine most buyers for these sockets are going to use it on boards that are not cheap, why not make it last longer if possible.

I have no data on longevity of the lead/tin vs. gold, and didn't see any in Digikey's documents, but could have missed something. I see it primarily as a aesthetic choice, as I'm assuming there are few of us using, e.g., Vipers or VE.As on ocean-going vessels on the bumpers of snowmobiles, but then I'm usually wrong, so who knows.

Offline cynviloq

« Reply #55 on: Wed, 15 February 2017, 14:36:52 »

Offline jal

« Reply #56 on: Thu, 16 February 2017, 10:48:57 »
I'm interested in joining on the gold sockets - however have you reached out to TTI? Their watermark for 10,000 units is .1938 which is cheaper than Digikey.

https://www.ttiinc.com/content/ttiinc/en/apps/part-detail.html?partsNumber=7-1437514-0&mfgShortname=TYC&utm=te-hearst&channel=link&source=hearst&campaigns=mfg-te-connectivity&csp=WT.z_cid%3Dsp_TTI,Inc.-NorthAmerica_20120425_buyNow%26TE_cid%3DTTI,Inc.-NorthAmerica-1487190288812

Oh, awesome, thanks - I missed that somehow. I must be getting senile. I was about to push the button on the GB, but first let me contact them and sort a few details.

Offline cynviloq

« Reply #57 on: Thu, 16 February 2017, 10:57:17 »
I'm interested in joining on the gold sockets - however have you reached out to TTI? Their watermark for 10,000 units is .1938 which is cheaper than Digikey.

https://www.ttiinc.com/content/ttiinc/en/apps/part-detail.html?partsNumber=7-1437514-0&mfgShortname=TYC&utm=te-hearst&channel=link&source=hearst&campaigns=mfg-te-connectivity&csp=WT.z_cid%3Dsp_TTI,Inc.-NorthAmerica_20120425_buyNow%26TE_cid%3DTTI,Inc.-NorthAmerica-1487190288812

Oh, awesome, thanks - I missed that somehow. I must be getting senile. I was about to push the button on the GB, but first let me contact them and sort a few details.

Sorry did not mean to delay the process... just figured if we can save ~1.5 cents across thousands of units, may be worth it.

Offline jal

« Reply #58 on: Thu, 16 February 2017, 11:03:29 »

Sorry did not mean to delay the process... just figured if we can save ~1.5 cents across thousands of units, may be worth it.

No need to apologize - I appreciate the notice, and think others will, too. It makes a significant-enough difference to be worth it. I just need to check with them on quantities, because if their inventory is accurate, we'll be on backorder.

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #59 on: Thu, 16 February 2017, 21:32:42 »
penny saved is a penny earned and all those cliches!
Thanks for lookin out!
-Dana

Offline luumii

• A day in life without Keyboard SA
« Reply #60 on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 11:27:05 »
Anyone know if these work with Duck orion pcbs? It seems to be pretty hit and miss since it works on some but not other duck boards :(

Offline E3E

« Reply #61 on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 11:52:10 »
Anyone know if these work with Duck orion pcbs? It seems to be pretty hit and miss since it works on some but not other duck boards :(

I'm pretty sure it will work in the Orion v2 PCB. I can't say for certain, but it looked fine to me.

Offline rabbitfire

« Reply #62 on: Sat, 18 February 2017, 13:26:28 »
Do we have any specific date for GB yet?

Offline jal

« Reply #63 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 09:51:47 »
Do we have any specific date for GB yet?

Nope. Soon. The holiday may get in the way a bit.

Offline jal

« Reply #64 on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 21:12:41 »
Sorry for the continuing holdup. Communication with TTI has been a bit frustrating, and is continuing. Hopefully will get final numbers from them this week.

I really want to get this started - it is taking longer than I'd like. If I don't hear from TTI by Wednesday, I think we'll go with the Digikey pricing, and adjust down if TTI indeed can work. That would happen before billing, so the price would only go down, and we wouldn't hassle with refunds.

Thoughts?

Offline P1kas

• AKA Crono
« Reply #65 on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 21:32:00 »
-Interested?
Yes.
-It would be best to pick either tin/lead or gold, what are your preferences?
Gold.
-Assuming you’re in for a packet of switch sockets, would you also go for the LED sockets?
Yes! SIP Sockets would make switch holtites pointless(They would halve the amount of desoldering when changing switch bottoms.) LED Holtites would make both components easily removable.
-Mr. T vs. Mothra: who wins?
I don't know either of these two characters/people.

As for your question about charging more/refunding, I'd rather wait a bit more and pay the final price.
There is no such thing as "too much orange."

Offline Hako

« Reply #66 on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 21:35:39 »
I would personally prefer to start this sooner given that I will buy some regardless of what the final price ends up being and that we'll know the final pricing before invoicing anyways. I just want my sockets soon!

Offline P1kas

• AKA Crono
« Reply #67 on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 21:40:32 »
I may have misunderstood your question.

The invoices would be made with the final price, whichever it ends up being?

In that case, then I'd like this to start soon.
There is no such thing as "too much orange."

Offline jal

« Reply #68 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 08:48:53 »
OK, thanks for the feedback. We won't need to worry about complicating pricing;  I got a quote from TTI this morning.

$0.19 each @ 20,000 pieces, they can package in lots of 100. 10K pieces available immediately, the balance in "10 weeks", except verbally they said it would be much faster than that. (But to be clear, please don't count on that, and I have no ability to influence it.)

Will finish up the GB text and start however getting that approved works this evening.

Offline bthezebra

« Reply #69 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 08:49:43 »
Sounds good and I am in when its up!

Sent from the love gun.

Offline Skuloth

« Reply #70 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 09:02:05 »
Sounds good to me.
Planck w/ Zealios

Offline rabbitfire

« Reply #71 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 12:03:12 »
OK, thanks for the feedback. We won't need to worry about complicating pricing;  I got a quote from TTI this morning.

$0.19 each @ 20,000 pieces, they can package in lots of 100. 10K pieces available immediately, the balance in "10 weeks", except verbally they said it would be much faster than that. (But to be clear, please don't count on that, and I have no ability to influence it.)

Will finish up the GB text and start however getting that approved works this evening.

Finally!  :D :D :D

Offline CampAsAChamp

• Absolutely Nasty
« Reply #72 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 12:16:45 »
In for 150/200 depending on which I would be able to order.

Happy this is finally gathering steam.

Good luck on the GB!

Offline poolside

« Reply #73 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 15:23:11 »
Interested in some switch sockets as well. Will the LED Holtites be gold?

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #74 on: Wed, 01 March 2017, 20:54:09 »
"In my very limited experience, sometimes pulling a switch will also pull the socket. "

To those who've already used these sockets in a PCB and tried removing a switch: do the switch legs get gripped quite tightly?  I'm a bit concerned about pulling a switch out which can then pull the socket out with it a bit.  Once there's a plate over the PCB, fixing those sockets would require taking out all of the switches.  If I pull carefully, is there still a pretty good chance of pulling out the socket?

Of course if the sockets don't budge easily once installed, then it's not a problem (hopefully).
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline cynviloq

« Reply #75 on: Thu, 02 March 2017, 05:50:13 »
"In my very limited experience, sometimes pulling a switch will also pull the socket. "

To those who've already used these sockets in a PCB and tried removing a switch: do the switch legs get gripped quite tightly?  I'm a bit concerned about pulling a switch out which can then pull the socket out with it a bit.  Once there's a plate over the PCB, fixing those sockets would require taking out all of the switches.  If I pull carefully, is there still a pretty good chance of pulling out the socket?

Of course if the sockets don't budge easily once installed, then it's not a problem (hopefully).

If you use the method of pressing down with the iron (or enough force honestly) - then the groove should catch the PCB and you should not be able to pull the socket out with the switch. I have removed switches from sockets 15-20 times without the socket pulling off (so far).

The fit of the switch into the socket varies depending on switch manufacturer -- I've noticed that Cherry switches can be a tight fit given the width of the legs, where as most other clones fit just fine for me.

Offline krisst

« Reply #76 on: Thu, 02 March 2017, 07:58:28 »

If you use the method of pressing down with the iron (or enough force honestly) - then the groove should catch the PCB and you should not be able to pull the socket out with the switch. I have removed switches from sockets 15-20 times without the socket pulling off (so far).

The fit of the switch into the socket varies depending on switch manufacturer -- I've noticed that Cherry switches can be a tight fit given the width of the legs, where as most other clones fit just fine for me.

From your experience, is it necessary to clip off the 2 plastic legs on switches if we are using holtites? Or if it is better to leave them on instead. Thanks.

Edit: Fixed Quote
« Last Edit: Fri, 03 March 2017, 01:05:53 by krisst »

Offline Dvoraknolegends

« Reply #77 on: Fri, 03 March 2017, 00:03:36 »
Is it too late to join? I need these for my upcoming Planck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Dvoraknolegends

« Reply #78 on: Fri, 03 March 2017, 00:18:44 »
I'm in for 150 if possible (200 if not) in gold.

Offline rabbitfire

« Reply #79 on: Sun, 05 March 2017, 01:07:45 »
Still waiting for this GB.... :)

Offline DuFF

« Reply #80 on: Sun, 05 March 2017, 03:31:15 »
I'm in for 400, possibly 500 switch sockets and 400-500 led, prefere gold.

Offline Captainbuttmonkey

« Reply #81 on: Sun, 05 March 2017, 16:53:32 »

I just finished a build using these about a week ago. I was using a leeku pcb and the fit of the socket within the pcb was pretty tight, I can't comment on any other pcbs but if yours has similar measurements to this one I would be amazed if you managed to pull out a socket. They are fixed to the pcb extremely well and it is not something I had even considered until I read your post.

From your experience, is it necessary to clip off the 2 plastic legs on switches if we are using holtites? Or if it is better to leave them on instead. Thanks.

Edit: Fixed Quote

I don't think it makes any difference as long as your plate is doing its job. I have had pcb and plate mounted switches in this board and both of them have worked fine.

Offline ChitownM2

« Reply #82 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 16:53:53 »
definitely interested in these as well.

Offline ns90

« Reply #83 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 17:48:29 »
Sign me up.

Offline krisst

« Reply #84 on: Thu, 09 March 2017, 08:42:25 »
@jal, any updates on when the GB will start? Thanks.

Offline rabbitfire

« Reply #85 on: Fri, 10 March 2017, 11:47:11 »

Offline Dvoraknolegends

« Reply #86 on: Fri, 10 March 2017, 12:07:41 »
I'm in for 150 if possible (200 if not) in gold.

Offline cynviloq

« Reply #87 on: Fri, 10 March 2017, 13:28:26 »
I sent a message to jal a few days ago -- I would be willing to help run this GB if he has interest in receiving help or even take over if he's too busy.

Offline rabbitfire

« Reply #88 on: Mon, 13 March 2017, 03:53:11 »
I sent a message to jal a few days ago -- I would be willing to help run this GB if he has interest in receiving help or even take over if he's too busy.

It is good idea if someone can take over this GB. I think we have enough people who are interested in buying holtite here. Still waiting for this GB.

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #89 on: Mon, 13 March 2017, 07:22:22 »
Agreed. Ordering these form a local supplier would be prohibitably expensive under 200 pieces.

Offline King Icewind

• Keys of Kings
« Reply #90 on: Mon, 13 March 2017, 09:01:20 »
I hosted the previous GB for the holtites on keysofkings. If you'd like me to host it again, I'd be happy to.

Thanks,
Kevin

Offline jal

« Reply #91 on: Mon, 13 March 2017, 09:20:39 »
Apologies for the delays.

I just posted the GB, it is waiting for mod approval.

Offline ChitownM2

« Reply #92 on: Mon, 13 March 2017, 17:34:28 »
Great news.

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #93 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 01:08:58 »
... holding pattern. This'll be nice to cross off the list. thanks for doing it  :thumb:
-Dana

Offline krisst

« Reply #94 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 05:49:50 »

It has been a while, have not seen the GB post. Where did you post it anyways. GH or reddit?

Offline jal

« Reply #95 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 08:12:20 »

It has been a while, have not seen the GB post. Where did you post it anyways. GH or reddit?

Yes, it has been a day and is still in limbo. (Posted here.)

I'll see if I can draw a mod's attention to it.

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #96 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 09:53:40 »

Yes, it has been a day and is still in limbo. (Posted here.)

I'll see if I can draw a mod's attention to it.

Approved! https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=88193

For future reference, for anyone waiting on approval, you can either PM any online mod to have it looked at, or report your own post, which will notify all the mods when they next sign in.

I've locked this thread now that the GB has been approved.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)