Author Topic: [IC] Compact board with standard keys, arrow cluster, 6 leds, lots of flexibilty  (Read 2968 times)

Offline badcircle

I'm interested in making this board a reality -- it' garnered a bit of interest over at Reddit so I wanted to check in here and get some feedback. Also looking to recruit any help I can in creating the PCB, etc... Opinions?

« Last Edit: Fri, 03 February 2017, 08:42:01 by badcircle »

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
Not usually a big fan of 65% because proportions end up looking too stretched, but the blockers really help to even things out. =)

Imo 2.75u shift looks strange shifted sideways like this tho, so split shift might be nice.

Personally, I would go split shift and ditch the entire right column, symmetry is way overrated anyway xD

Offline Korseir

i actually don't mind the large right shift key and where it is positioned because the overall layout is quite symmetrical and it wont be difficult to find keycaps for it (i think, coming from a fc660c with 2 same sized shift keys). i am quite interested in how this pans out. i also like the utility using the blank areas in the lower corners for LED indications but am not sure what all of them represent.

Offline badcircle

I just updated the graphic to better show my thinking.

The three LED on the left are Num Lock, Caps Lock, Scroll Lock and the three on the right are Arrow Disable Lock, Function Lock, and Function Active.

So Function + ? disables the arrows and you get Super Friggin Shift mode which puts its right back where your pinky expects it. And then you get extra modifiers.
« Last Edit: Thu, 02 February 2017, 21:55:32 by badcircle »

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
Giving the board a split shift and deleting the right-most column entirely would allow this board to fit on regular 60% aftermarket cases.
i think it would be the best option and I personally have no use for the extra column.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
There is another project that is close to this that it is currently in the works and close to be a GB. It does not have leds though, but the layout is similar but it fits a sixty case. I do prefer sixty for case compatibility.

Offline badcircle

slight variation on idea since so many people highlighted the 60% case issue:

« Last Edit: Fri, 03 February 2017, 12:59:41 by badcircle »

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
It looks nice, but I couldn't use it because I use the right shift, and I don't wand to try to learn to reach over the arrow key to press it :(

Offline badcircle

Right on -- but what if you could easily turn the arrows off, which turned the up arrow back in to Shift? (via Fn+?) @reececonrad
« Last Edit: Fri, 03 February 2017, 12:53:02 by badcircle »

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
That is a great idea, and I actually have a board with this functionality that I built.  It's standard 60% with split right shift opposite of your split, so shift on left 1.75u and fn on right 1u.  Clicking function toggles the arrow cluster (shift=Up, window=left, menu=down, ctrl=right).  I use it every now and then but what you REALLY need if you have this is a led indicator to let you know if it's on or off.  I can't stress this enough.  I'm almost to the point of abandoning the toggle and just reassigning the Fn key because I get frustrated when I forget it's is turned on. 

So, your original image with led indicators is a good solution in that case.  The other option would be to put an on board led behind the toggle key and but a 1u windowed key there.  Or, like the V60 does with this same idea, just make it bright and let it shine under the keys.
« Last Edit: Fri, 03 February 2017, 13:43:39 by reececonrad »

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious

Show Image

Love it!
This end up happening definitely count me in for two.

Offline iFreilicht

Show Image

Hm, this already exists with many more options. https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=85959.0

Personally, I'd say go for the 65% option because that is much more unique and gives the huge advantage of not requiring any special-size keycaps. I also like the idea of having six indicator LEDs where you positioned them. With those in mind, this whole board would probably end up needing a special case anyway, so not having support for 60% cases doesn't really matter too much.

Any ideas what you want to do in terms of firmware/customisability? What alternative layouts do you (want) to support, would the keyboard include the keycaps with all the legends for secondary functions?

Sentraq S60-X, dyed blank PBT keycaps, Gateron Browns