Author Topic: Spherical Keycaps for CM Storm Quickfire Rapid  (Read 53679 times)

Offline Trystero

Spherical Keycaps for CM Storm Quickfire Rapid
« on: Sat, 04 June 2016, 03:06:09 »
Hey all,

I just ordered my first mechanical keyboard and am looking for spherical keycaps for the thing.

The Filco Double Shot keycaps look great, but it seems the stabilizers mean it's only compatible with Filco keyboards, is that true, or just marketing BS?

The Modern Selectric and DSA Dolch keycaps look fantastic, but a bit pricier I've noticed.

Any recommendations for basic coloured spherical keycaps would be fantastic :)

Thanks!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Spherical Keycaps for CM Storm Quickfire Rapid
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 04 June 2016, 23:41:47 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

I have a QFR and a QFS, and I've had all sorts of keycaps on there, including SA and DSA (both of which are spherical).

QFR has Costar stabilisers which includes little plastic clips inserted into the underneath of the larger modifier keys and then hooked over a short metal bar on the PCB.  This arrangement is very tolerant of slight irregularities in keycap manufactuer.

What switches have you got?

If they are lighter switches e.g. MX blue/red/brown, then I'd say SA profile keycaps would be too heavy.  There's a lot of plastic in those keycaps.

DSA, however, would be fine on any switch.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Trystero

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 05 June 2016, 06:31:14 »
Thanks!

I'm getting myself brown switches. The keyboard will mostly be used for a lot lot lot of typing and I'm really just a big fan of spherical keycaps.

So you reckon DSA would be the way to go?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 06 June 2016, 02:45:13 »
Some would say that SA keycaps would be too heavy on MX browns.

I've tried them on MX blues and they just feel way too heavy.

DSA is much lighter, as there's a lot less plastic.

Depends on whether you wanted sculpted keycaps or uniform profile.  DSA is only uniform profile, but you can get SA either uniform (usually R3) or sculpted.  Personally I prefer uniform SA, but of course that's subjective.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Trystero

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 06 June 2016, 03:32:59 »
I haven't heard the uniform vs sculpted term before, what does that refer to?

And from what you've said, DSA Dolch seems like a good way to go for what I'm looking for... Guess it's time to start saving haha

Thanks for your help!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 06 June 2016, 05:53:50 »
This post (sorry, just scroll past all the nested quotes to see the picture) shows DSA uniform profile (third row down) and SA sculpted (top row).

SA uniform profile is like DSA, but all the keycaps are the same as R3 (the middle row in the [picture).

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 07 June 2016, 00:23:01 »
From what I understand, Costar (a Taiwan company) makes Filco keyboards. I'm not 100% certain of this but one should, in theory, be able to use those Filco doubleshot keycaps with Costar stabilized keyboards. For whatever reason Diatec or Costar decided it would be best to glue the costar stabilizer inserts into the Filco doubleshot keycap stems. Filco has that nice standard bottom row just like your QFR so I can't see any reason why those sphericals wouldn't fit on your QFR.

Some sources
https://deskthority.net/wiki/Filco_Majestouch
https://deskthority.net/wiki/Costar