Author Topic: Ranks  (Read 2844 times)

Offline Pinder

Ranks
« on: Sun, 11 May 2014, 11:11:18 »
wouldnt it be cool if you reached a certain rank once you hit a certain amount of posts :D
65g zealios ergodox infinity

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
Re: Ranks
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 11 May 2014, 11:15:12 »
You do it's 1000

Offline Pinder

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 11 May 2014, 12:17:22 »
You do it's 1000

oh..But like 1000 posts seems a bit much.

How about something like at 25 posts, then 100, then 250, then 500, then 1000?
65g zealios ergodox infinity

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 11 May 2014, 12:26:10 »
then it gets super convoluted

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 11 May 2014, 12:43:15 »
We currently just have 1 auto-promotion rank at 60 posts (junior before 60, senior after 60)--for the purpose of posting in the Marketplace section.  All the other post-based promotions for stars are voluntary and are done upon request.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 11 May 2014, 14:06:49 »
It would be cool if at like oh 10,000 posts you could pick your own title whenever you wanted.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 11 May 2014, 14:44:00 »
It would be cool if at like oh 10,000 posts you could pick your own title whenever you wanted.

You already have a very nice title: SpAmRay.  :thumb:

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 11 May 2014, 15:12:32 »

:cool:
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 14:10:32 »

I think it would be more reasonable and better for the site if people who donated over a certain amount were awarded that ability more than people who post incessantly. Of course, they would have to be moderated (as is the geekhack way).

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 14:19:38 »

I think it would be more reasonable and better for the site if people who donated over a certain amount were awarded that ability more than people who post incessantly. Of course, they would have to be moderated (as is the geekhack way).

In-app purchases make everything better.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 14:24:01 »

But do you know where that donated money goes? :eek:

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 14:38:19 »

I think some people would rather not know. As the old saying goes...ignorance is bliss!
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 15:12:51 »

Yes. You donate it to me, and then I tell the mods to enable your custom title editing abilities. Also, the minimum amount is variable, and I reserve the right to adjust it based on the person.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 15:14:05 »

It doesn't matter how much someone donates, if people don't post then there is no community.

Is it still the case that those who donate much can get an @geekhack.org email address?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 15:14:08 »

Yes. You donate it to me, and then I tell the mods to enable your custom title editing abilities. Also, the minimum amount is variable, and I reserve the right to adjust it based on the person.

Do you take currency in legos?

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 15:28:32 »
It doesn't matter how much someone donates, if people don't post then there is no community.

Just because one or so people post more than the entirety of the rest of the people doesn't mean that if they stopped, the community would altogether.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 21:41:38 »

Just because one or so people post more than the entirety of the rest of the people doesn't mean that if they stopped, the community would altogether.

Not at all, but for community building it relies as much on people taking part in the community (i.e. posting) as it does on funding.

Funding can be obtained from online advertising (which GH has managed to avoid).

Community membership can only be obtained from posting.

And there will always be some who post a lot, and some who hardly post at all.