Author Topic: [GB] Cherry MX Silent Black Switches - Shipping Update  (Read 109589 times)

Offline wholypantalones

• text and icon mods plz.
Re: [GB] Cherry MX Silent Black Switches - Shipping Update
« Reply #400 on: Wed, 13 December 2017, 20:06:56 »
Can confirm. Springs are **** and they are loud. Vintage black springs and some thick lube make quite a difference.  :thumb:

Offline xantiema

« Reply #401 on: Wed, 13 December 2017, 20:29:49 »
The metallic sound is pretty annoying alright

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #402 on: Wed, 13 December 2017, 22:21:16 »
Got mine today.  I don't really hear anything metallic.  They do, however, sound and feel exactly like the silent reds that I just removed from a filco TKL b/c they were the worst MX switch I had ever used.  So... I'll be selling mine. 

I don't think lube would help. I lubed every goddamn inch of my reds and it did nothing.  The springs are just too tight on the stems and they rub (even with lube) causing some serious scritchy scratch.

It's unfortunate, but "c'est la vie." 

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #403 on: Wed, 13 December 2017, 22:44:48 »
the well has been poisoned. now i can't unhear the scratchy sounds. i just bought these for the stems, though. has anyone done a complete transplant into zeal housings with gold springs yet?

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #404 on: Wed, 13 December 2017, 23:01:40 »
the well has been poisoned. now i can't unhear the scratchy sounds. i just bought these for the stems, though. has anyone done a complete transplant into zeal housings with gold springs yet?

I just did after you suggested it.  Pretty nice.  Wobble like a gateron, but much less scratchy.  I'd still rather wait and try some silent Gateron blacks before I shell out the cash to harvest Zeal housings.

Also, I got a much improved switch by just lubing and putting in some Sprit springs.  I used 72g, which are pretty light in reality and very close to reds.  I might try to salvage them by converting the rest to sprit springs.  I'm not sure that I even like the silenced switch.  It takes all of the fun out of it.  Ha!

I should add that these are certainly usable switches.  I used switches exactly like this (silent reds) for over a year at work.  We're are very picky around here is all.
« Last Edit: Thu, 14 December 2017, 00:00:35 by reececonrad »

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #405 on: Thu, 14 December 2017, 02:46:35 »
Got mine today.  I don't really hear anything metallic.  They do, however, sound and feel exactly like the silent reds that I just removed from a filco TKL b/c they were the worst MX switch I had ever used.  So... I'll be selling mine. 

I don't think lube would help. I lubed every goddamn inch of my reds and it did nothing.  The springs are just too tight on the stems and they rub (even with lube) causing some serious scritchy scratch.

It's unfortunate, but "c'est la vie."

Not sure how you don't hear the metallic sound, anyway if you change the spring (a shorter one suggested) and lube the switches properly, it will be much better.   
Just the stock is extremely bad.

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #406 on: Thu, 14 December 2017, 02:48:13 »

Many did zilents, i tested one only so no full board of them but is probably the best housing you can use.

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #407 on: Thu, 14 December 2017, 08:42:48 »
Now that the haze has worn off I can concur; the springs are ****. I don't notice too much difference from attached vs detached, but one with a gat yellow spring in it next to one with the detached stock spring makes the latter feel like a linear rubberdome. Looks like I might be making Black Banana switches after all, should have enough gat yellows left over to fill an entire board.

(what was once yellow, and is now black and mushy? a black banana.)

Mmm, I got some 60-ish Gat Yellows that aren't used yet and I'd like to use those springs instead of MX "camo reds". Is Gat Yellows heavier or not really? BTW, "Black banana" switches is a dope nickname.  :thumb:

P.S. Haven't received MX Silent Blacks so that's why I'm asking as I can't check myself yet.
Keyboard design by Skepur

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline zacheadams

• Friendly Neighborhood Keyboard Enthusiast
« Reply #408 on: Thu, 14 December 2017, 09:16:08 »

I just did after you suggested it.  Pretty nice.  Wobble like a gateron, but much less scratchy.  I'd still rather wait and try some silent Gateron blacks before I shell out the cash to harvest Zeal housings.

Also, I got a much improved switch by just lubing and putting in some Sprit springs.  I used 72g, which are pretty light in reality and very close to reds.  I might try to salvage them by converting the rest to sprit springs.  I'm not sure that I even like the silenced switch.  It takes all of the fun out of it.  Ha!

I should add that these are certainly usable switches.  I used switches exactly like this (silent reds) for over a year at work.  We're are very picky around here is all.

68g & 72g sprits are my ideal springs - I plan on using the 72's in these as well.

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #409 on: Thu, 14 December 2017, 09:34:22 »
Can someone send these switches to haata for testing?

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #410 on: Thu, 14 December 2017, 10:12:04 »

AFAIK switches sent to haata are tested after a lot of time (understandable). So i guess if we send now, the test will be out after months

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #411 on: Thu, 14 December 2017, 10:46:10 »

AFAIK switches sent to haata are tested after a lot of time (understandable). So i guess if we send now, the test will be out after months

Better than nothing! His tests are really precious.

Offline Chromatrope

• Tortures arrows, murders Lshift, doesn't press X
« Reply #412 on: Thu, 14 December 2017, 11:32:30 »
Now that the haze has worn off I can concur; the springs are ****. I don't notice too much difference from attached vs detached, but one with a gat yellow spring in it next to one with the detached stock spring makes the latter feel like a linear rubberdome. Looks like I might be making Black Banana switches after all, should have enough gat yellows left over to fill an entire board.

(what was once yellow, and is now black and mushy? a black banana.)

Mmm, I got some 60-ish Gat Yellows that aren't used yet and I'd like to use those springs instead of MX "camo reds". Is Gat Yellows heavier or not really? BTW, "Black banana" switches is a dope nickname.  :thumb:

P.S. Haven't received MX Silent Blacks so that's why I'm asking as I can't check myself yet.

They're a bit heavier, just enough to notice clearly. I'd say about a third to half of the step from (camo) red to a regular black.
I dance significantly better through bullet patterns than the alphanumerics. Known to cause heart failure in touch typists on sight.

Offline Cotay

« Reply #413 on: Thu, 14 December 2017, 12:06:11 »

68g & 72g sprits are my ideal springs - I plan on using the 72's in these as well.

72g springs are going in mine as well.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #414 on: Thu, 14 December 2017, 13:35:27 »
I was going to replace the springs before this GB was even a thing. I have 72g right now in my tactile grays and so 68g will be going in these.

Offline VicareyG

• Vendor - Optic Boards
    • Optic Boards
« Reply #415 on: Thu, 14 December 2017, 14:01:39 »
Todays update from the distributor

Morning George,

The product manager has chased Cherry again this morning.

He said he will continue to put the pressure on.

Will update again as I have info.

Offline dothedog

« Reply #416 on: Thu, 14 December 2017, 23:58:51 »
I find these switches to be INCREDIBLY scratchy. Maybe I'm spoiled. I did open up the switch and apply lube (I use this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RGZHFA), making sure to detach the spring as someone else suggested, but found little to no improvement. Have you guys had any success making the switch smoother? I don't want to buy a whole 'nother set of springs if the sliders are scratchy beyond repair.

Offline Atredl

« Reply #417 on: Fri, 15 December 2017, 00:33:22 »
All these reports about scratchiness have me worried since that is definitely not the experience I have with the plate mount silent blacks from the Sennin GB. I guess I'll have to wait until I actually have them in hand to tell the difference but I had planned to put these in a LSv3 and now I'm not so sure.

Offline Khers

• Schrödinger's box
« Reply #418 on: Fri, 15 December 2017, 02:17:37 »
FWIW I find these about as smooth as the silent reds I got from sennin; in isolation they feel ok, but they are no match for any of my vintage blacks or nixies. I haven't tried lubing or spring swapping them yet, but as is they're not going into a keyboard. Otoh, I wasn't really expecting them to be as good as vintage blacks either and neither was I expecting to use them stock. In fact, most of mine will find use as non-corroded switch bottoms for vintage blacks ;)

Offline Chromatrope

« Reply #419 on: Fri, 15 December 2017, 02:56:31 »
I think they feel as smooth as the gat yellows I have here, minus the spring of course
I dance significantly better through bullet patterns than the alphanumerics. Known to cause heart failure in touch typists on sight.

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #420 on: Fri, 15 December 2017, 06:06:51 »
Package has arrived in my mailbox but I won't be home until Sunday. Really hoping mine aren't that bad as almost everyone here is writing. If they are I'll be really sad... Well, at least I'll HAVE to lube and change springs so I can use them. There's always a first.
« Last Edit: Fri, 15 December 2017, 06:16:21 by funderburker »

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline Kafka

• i like clean things
« Reply #421 on: Fri, 15 December 2017, 09:07:45 »

Yea I got mine in and would not use them stock. Spring ping/crunch is crazy and they're not nearly as smooth as I expected.

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #422 on: Fri, 15 December 2017, 14:10:55 »
Mmm, so PCB Mount MX Silent Blacks are crap but Plate Mount ones (at least those from Sennin GB) are the smooth ones, right?

I must say though that George is a great GB organizer and the bad taste from this GB is ALL FROM CHERRY. They suck ass and I'll definitely not get any more switches from them.

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #423 on: Fri, 15 December 2017, 14:55:52 »
Mmm, so PCB Mount MX Silent Blacks are crap but Plate Mount ones (at least those from Sennin GB) are the smooth ones, right?

I must say though that George is a great GB organizer and the bad taste from this GB is ALL FROM CHERRY. They suck ass and I'll definitely not get any more switches from them.

No, the STOCK switch isn't that good on both, but our is ****tier cuz of this this spring (talking about non-rgb vs non-rgb), but apart the spring they are the same. 

Offline Fausuto

« Reply #424 on: Fri, 15 December 2017, 15:58:58 »
Just got my switches in too! I can agree that the switches I received are as light as reds. I also have crunchy springs like an old, cheap, well worn spring mattress kind of sound. As far as smoothness goes, I feel like they're the same as sennins. Idc much for the springs since I was planning on spring swapping since the beginning. Plus pcb mount is nice compared to plate.

Offline wholypantalones

• text and icon mods plz.
« Reply #425 on: Fri, 15 December 2017, 19:46:45 »
I find these switches to be INCREDIBLY scratchy. Maybe I'm spoiled. I did open up the switch and apply lube (I use this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RGZHFA), making sure to detach the spring as someone else suggested, but found little to no improvement. Have you guys had any success making the switch smoother? I don't want to buy a whole 'nother set of springs if the sliders are scratchy beyond repair.

Yes, I used thick lube from teckkeys and they're fine. That silicone **** is, well.. ****.

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #426 on: Tue, 26 December 2017, 08:59:25 »
Any updates?

Offline VicareyG

• Vendor - Optic Boards
    • Optic Boards
« Reply #427 on: Tue, 26 December 2017, 15:05:28 »
Any updates?

None yet.

I have sent follow up emails but I think they are away over Christmas. I am hoping they'll be back to work tomorrow.

---

I have just sent another update request and received an automatic reply stating that they will be back in office January 2nd.
« Last Edit: Tue, 26 December 2017, 15:10:23 by VicareyG »

Offline VicareyG

• Vendor - Optic Boards
    • Optic Boards
« Reply #428 on: Tue, 02 January 2018, 12:45:39 »
I have had two replies from the distributor today.

The first assured me that she had pushed the Product Manager to put more pressure on Cherry.

The second has asked if I am able to return some of the switches. In order for them to start the formal returns process with Cherry.

I have agreed to return what switches I have left which is about 5000 switches. I am hoping that by sending these back Cherry will be forced to test them and see that the weight is not correct.

IF you guys have any advice let me know!

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #429 on: Tue, 02 January 2018, 12:51:08 »
If that 5000 isn't enough for some reason, I have 480 untouched that I'd be happy to return for testing.

Offline VicareyG

• Vendor - Optic Boards
    • Optic Boards
« Reply #430 on: Tue, 02 January 2018, 12:59:36 »
If that 5000 isn't enough for some reason, I have 480 untouched that I'd be happy to return for testing.

I'll update when I have a reply in the morning, but I reckon the 5% I have left should be enough for them to return to Cherry and then for Cherry to test and confirm the incorrect spring weighting.  That *should* allow partial refund(compensation) to trickle down the supplier chain. That's what I'm pushing for at least.

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #431 on: Tue, 02 January 2018, 13:02:53 »

I'll update when I have a reply in the morning, but I reckon the 5% I have left should be enough for them to return to Cherry and then for Cherry to test and confirm the incorrect spring weighting.  That *should* allow partial refund(compensation) to trickle down the supplier chain. That's what I'm pushing for at least.

Hopefully they do that at least.

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #432 on: Tue, 02 January 2018, 13:33:12 »

I am hoping that by sending these back Cherry will be forced to test them and see that the weight is not correct.

Hopefully yeah, that's probably the hard part of this whole thing, curious what Cherry will do since we clearly can't send switches back to them.   

My advice is to keep a part of your batch, let's say 1000, you never know... 

Also you should send a photo of our faces when we found out we got reds, basically this: 

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #433 on: Tue, 02 January 2018, 14:09:16 »

The first assured me that she had pushed the Product Manager to put more pressure on Cherry.

The second has asked if I am able to return some of the switches. In order for them to start the formal returns process with Cherry.

I have agreed to return what switches I have left which is about 5000 switches. I am hoping that by sending these back Cherry will be forced to test them and see that the weight is not correct.

What would happen for switches that I have on hold from an order through Novelkeys, the US proxy?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Offline VicareyG

• Vendor - Optic Boards
    • Optic Boards
« Reply #434 on: Tue, 02 January 2018, 14:31:23 »

What would happen for switches that I have on hold from an order through Novelkeys, the US proxy?

That would need to be answered by Mike. I'll drop him a message so he can see the thread and give an answer.

Offline mgsickler

« Reply #435 on: Tue, 02 January 2018, 14:45:23 »

I really can’t do anything at this time as there hasn’t been an actual proposed solution from Cherry or the distributor.

Once we have a solution offered from Cherry or the distributor we can go from there.

I won’t be able to return my switches, as the shipping cost would be way too high for me to do that.
« Last Edit: Tue, 02 January 2018, 14:47:58 by mgsickler »

Offline ojrask

• juuh elikkäs
« Reply #436 on: Tue, 02 January 2018, 15:09:39 »
Thanks for the updates VicareyG and mgsickler, really hoping we all get some positive resolution for this.
Current:
    Ducky DK9008P [MX Blues] | WASD V2 TKL [MX Blues] | r63 (Satan 60% DIY) [Gateron Browns] | BananaSplit 60% [Gateron Greens] | UK78 [67g Zealios] | Infinity ErgoDox [MX Clears] | Pearl 40% [78g Zealios] | G81-3000
Coming up:
    DZ60/SKB60-WKL [100g MX Silent Blacks] | G81-3000 [Box Navies] Handwire
IC/GB:
    GMK Strogg | G81/80-3000 MX metal plate

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #437 on: Tue, 02 January 2018, 18:02:07 »
Thank you for the updates. Given the holiday season, I forgot about the issue but it's nice to see it's still actively investigated. I've already ordered springs for the switches I have but any kind of compensation is always welcome. Hopefully testing happens and they'll do the right thing and offer to resolve this matter in a way that all group buyers benefit.

P.S. Happy New Year everyone and good luck with keyboard-related and life-related happenings!

P.P.S. Anyone got a build to show using these (either stock or modded) switches? Always enjoy a good buildlog or just nice keyboard photos.

Offline Chromatrope

« Reply #438 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 05:10:11 »
P.P.S. Anyone got a build to show using these (either stock or modded) switches? Always enjoy a good buildlog or just nice keyboard photos.

185706-0

XD60 with these, gateron yellow springs swapped in, black spring on spacebar. By far the best feeling board I've touched so far.

Offline VicareyG

• Vendor - Optic Boards
    • Optic Boards
« Reply #439 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 13:00:32 »
Had a response today, the supplier will arrange collection from myself and delivery to Cherry for the switches that I have left. This will allow Cherry to fully test the switches and hopefully prove what we are all saying.

I'll update again as/when collection is booked.

Thanks for staying patient!

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #440 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 13:41:57 »
Thanks for staying patient!
Thanks to you for everything you're doing.
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline joey

« Reply #441 on: Wed, 17 January 2018, 09:54:13 »
Any updates?

Offline VicareyG

• Vendor - Optic Boards
    • Optic Boards
« Reply #442 on: Wed, 17 January 2018, 09:55:21 »
Any updates?

Waiting on the supplier to generate a label so that I can return a sample of switches for testing. Nothing exciting unfortunately.

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #443 on: Sun, 28 January 2018, 15:15:04 »
i put them in my VA68M and i can indeed say they don't feel smooth as gateron switches imo and the ping sound just destroyed it for me i am just going to desolder them and put Kailh heavy switches in :l. Sorry the next person sitting next to me at work :p.
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline ojrask

• juuh elikkäs
« Reply #444 on: Sun, 28 January 2018, 16:40:04 »
Ordered some springs to swap into these while waiting for news from Cherry. What are the de-facto lubes folks use when lubing switches? Krytox?
Current:
    Ducky DK9008P [MX Blues] | WASD V2 TKL [MX Blues] | r63 (Satan 60% DIY) [Gateron Browns] | BananaSplit 60% [Gateron Greens] | UK78 [67g Zealios] | Infinity ErgoDox [MX Clears] | Pearl 40% [78g Zealios] | G81-3000
Coming up:
    DZ60/SKB60-WKL [100g MX Silent Blacks] | G81-3000 [Box Navies] Handwire
IC/GB:
    GMK Strogg | G81/80-3000 MX metal plate

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #445 on: Sun, 28 January 2018, 16:45:33 »
i put them in my VA68M and i can indeed say they don't feel smooth as gateron switches imo and the ping sound just destroyed it for me i am just going to desolder them and put Kailh heavy switches in :l. Sorry the next person sitting next to me at work :p.

They even pingggg?!?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #446 on: Sun, 28 January 2018, 17:15:14 »
Ordered some springs to swap into these while waiting for news from Cherry. What are the de-facto lubes folks use when lubing switches? Krytox?

krytox mixes are popular, but if you wait a bit, 204 grade 0 will be come available and it's the best option

They even pingggg?!?

it's a varmilo kit, the plates aren't mounted well
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Kavik

« Reply #447 on: Sat, 03 February 2018, 20:03:24 »
Anything new to report?
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline keyboardMaster

« Reply #448 on: Sun, 04 February 2018, 10:24:35 »
Nobody has filed a paypal claim, so nobody will receive anything.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #449 on: Sun, 04 February 2018, 13:21:55 »
Nobody has filed a paypal claim, so nobody will receive anything.

Oh shush. George will sort this out as best as possible.