Author Topic: [GB] SKB75, SKB65 & SKB60 / GB CONCLUDED  (Read 369000 times)

Offline TyrionLannister

Re: [GB] SKB75 & SKB60 (Standard, WKL, HHKB, YAS and ORTHOLINEAR)
« Reply #150 on: Thu, 26 April 2018, 02:40:19 »
Sorry if it’s already been asked, but what thread-size are the case screws? (The exposed/raised ones on the top of the case )

Want to try different types/colors of screws when mine arrives.

Also, since I’m getting a YAS62 version, are we sure silentreader will have enough PCB stock to send you at the end of the group but? Worries he might sell out of his PCNs ahead of time. Thank you!

Offline yasintahir

• Formerly silentreader
« Reply #151 on: Thu, 26 April 2018, 02:45:16 »
Sorry if it’s already been asked, but what thread-size are the case screws? (The exposed/raised ones on the top of the case )

Also, since I’m getting a YAS62 version, are we sure silentreader will have enough PCB stock to send you at the end of the group but? Worries he might sell out of his PCNs ahead of time. Thank you!

Don't worry i got 40 PCB left

Offline PlastikSchnittstelle

« Reply #152 on: Thu, 26 April 2018, 05:01:23 »
Any of the popular PCBs with the USB port on the left side will fit.

PCBs need to have USB port on left side, type irrelevant as long as it fits into the top left cutout window. Unsure if there's a limitation to if the port is top or bottom of PCB. I think back in the IC thread he says the cutout is fairly large to compensate for the different "popular" PCBs. The port cutout is directly under the top left corner screw, for reference if you want to math out the dimensions. These pics show it somewhat clearly.

I'm aware of that, I just need the dimensions of the USB cutout. USB C requires a wider cutout than miniUSB B. I can figure the rest out if I know how big the cutout is, since most USB port differences are on the Z axis rather than X or Y in my experience.

At first glance, it looks like it should work, though.

Also, I've filled a new form, please disregard my first one (I swapped from HHKB to WKL)

The cutout is now planned a bit larger than the one shown in the pictures. Now 14mm x 9.5mm. You are right, the z-height is the more critical point here, since there is one screw coming from above at that position.
You did read the section "Nit-picking" in the opening post? there I wrote:

• There are a few mini-USB cables that have a pretty bulky head. The top left screw is positioned right above the USB port and if you happen to have a bulky plug, then it might interfere slightly with the screw inside the case. Not a big deal, I just sliced a bit off the plug and then it did fit perfectly fine. I now this since the first prototype but I didn't want to change the screw position, since I think it's perfect and slicing isn't a big deal. Some cables fit right away, some need the slice.
  • The position of the USB port differs slightly on some PCBs. Depending on your PCB, the plug might not be perfectly centered in the cutout, but of course it will always fit.

I know it is difficult to know if a cable will fit or not before you have it in your hands and can measure it yourself. If not the little slice-job is not a big deal imo. But I get you want to be sure and have everything sorted out before. Which PCB with USB-C do you consider? I guess I'll just order one along with some different cables. Then I hope to be able to give some recommendations and amazon-links to cables that will fit guaranteed.

And yes, deleted your HHKB order entry.

« Reply #153 on: Thu, 26 April 2018, 05:04:58 »

I managed to get along with one screw type only for the whole case. All M3, length 12mm.

« Reply #154 on: Thu, 26 April 2018, 05:07:04 »
Don't worry i got 40 PCB left

so far 11 ordered the PCB along the case.

Offline TyrionLannister

« Reply #155 on: Thu, 26 April 2018, 12:37:46 »
cool thanks for the info. I wish we had other colors available, but there's always paint :P

Just don't want to cover the beautiful anodization texture. Guess it's time to learn to love black!

Offline RealLaugh

« Reply #156 on: Thu, 26 April 2018, 14:12:18 »
if I want to change my order what is the easiest way to do it?

« Reply #157 on: Thu, 26 April 2018, 15:07:54 »
if I want to change my order what is the easiest way to do it?

I'd say, from now on if anyone wants to change his order - just fill out the form again. I can see double entries and whenever there is one I will just delete the first/older order without asking. That's simple.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #158 on: Thu, 26 April 2018, 17:12:06 »
Any of the popular PCBs with the USB port on the left side will fit.

PCBs need to have USB port on left side, type irrelevant as long as it fits into the top left cutout window. Unsure if there's a limitation to if the port is top or bottom of PCB. I think back in the IC thread he says the cutout is fairly large to compensate for the different "popular" PCBs. The port cutout is directly under the top left corner screw, for reference if you want to math out the dimensions. These pics show it somewhat clearly.

I'm aware of that, I just need the dimensions of the USB cutout. USB C requires a wider cutout than miniUSB B. I can figure the rest out if I know how big the cutout is, since most USB port differences are on the Z axis rather than X or Y in my experience.

At first glance, it looks like it should work, though.

Also, I've filled a new form, please disregard my first one (I swapped from HHKB to WKL)

The cutout is now planned a bit larger than the one shown in the pictures. Now 14mm x 9.5mm. You are right, the z-height is the more critical point here, since there is one screw coming from above at that position.
You did read the section "Nit-picking" in the opening post? there I wrote:

• There are a few mini-USB cables that have a pretty bulky head. The top left screw is positioned right above the USB port and if you happen to have a bulky plug, then it might interfere slightly with the screw inside the case. Not a big deal, I just sliced a bit off the plug and then it did fit perfectly fine. I now this since the first prototype but I didn't want to change the screw position, since I think it's perfect and slicing isn't a big deal. Some cables fit right away, some need the slice.
  • The position of the USB port differs slightly on some PCBs. Depending on your PCB, the plug might not be perfectly centered in the cutout, but of course it will always fit.

I know it is difficult to know if a cable will fit or not before you have it in your hands and can measure it yourself. If not the little slice-job is not a big deal imo. But I get you want to be sure and have everything sorted out before. Which PCB with USB-C do you consider? I guess I'll just order one along with some different cables. Then I hope to be able to give some recommendations and amazon-links to cables that will fit guaranteed.

And yes, deleted your HHKB order entry.

slick, thanks

that cutout size is perfect for what i need, i think USB C requires 10mm cutouts

i might swap back to HHKB, but HHKB 60s tend to be easier to find than WKL ones, so odds are i'll stick with this and then have one of each WKL/HHKB/standard

even though i think WKL 60 looks weird af
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline FSund

« Reply #159 on: Fri, 27 April 2018, 07:57:34 »
Also I had some requests via PM for a 65% version. As many of you know this was ruled out during IC phase. 60% and 75% had just more votes, though 65% had much as well. For me the biggest reason against 65% was that at the time 65% PCBs alone were hard to get. This has changed a bit since. Now you can get them from Sentraq, Keyclack and KBDfans. So maybe I'm preparing to add this option as well (just adding the option is of course no guarantee it will happen since a minimum of 20 orders would be required).

Any ETA for when the 65% option will be added to the form (if you decide to add it)?
Join the Mechanical Keyboards Norway Discord server

« Reply #160 on: Fri, 27 April 2018, 09:37:10 »
Any ETA for when the 65% option will be added to the form (if you decide to add it)?

I'll need at least another week, more likely two.
But it will be for sure.

Offline Electrum

« Reply #161 on: Fri, 27 April 2018, 11:28:17 »

But it will be for sure.

Sweet :) I'll probably switch to it from a 75% excited to see it!

« Reply #162 on: Fri, 27 April 2018, 11:44:10 »
Sweet :) I'll probably switch to it from a 75% excited to see it!

I'm afraid some will switch. Hope it won't cannibalize 75% too much.
Be aware, SKB65 version will have its own MOQ of 20 units. If that isn't reached then it simply can't happen. Though the numbers so far indicate, that there is a very good chance it will succeed.
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 April 2018, 11:47:03 by PlastikSchnittstelle »

Offline Data

« Reply #163 on: Fri, 27 April 2018, 12:03:21 »
Nooooooooooooo!  We need more 75s!  All the 75s!  Come on, people!  :eek:

« Reply #164 on: Fri, 27 April 2018, 13:38:42 »

Don't worry, SKB75 is at 35 units now. Even if some switch from 75 to 65, it will still be OK, I guess.
EDIT: wait, haven't counted me in, that would make 36 for SKB75 for now :D

Offline menuhin

« Reply #165 on: Fri, 27 April 2018, 13:40:35 »

+1
75% rules.  :p
I hope everything will have > 100 units

Thanks PlastikSchnittstelle for monitoring the quality and running this GB careful.
If only every GB can be like how it is run by you.
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline ojrask

• juuh elikkäs
« Reply #166 on: Fri, 27 April 2018, 14:14:00 »
Just to make sure: has the 60% WKL case reached MOQ or not yet?

Ordered a DZ60 with USB-C this week for this case, it seemed like the least "bells and whistles" PCB that fits this case and supports QMK. :)
Current:
    Ducky DK9008P [MX Blues] | WASD V2 TKL [MX Blues] | r63 (Satan 60% DIY) [Gateron Browns] | BananaSplit 60% [Gateron Greens] | UK78 [67g Zealios] | Infinity ErgoDox [MX Clears] | Pearl 40% [78g Zealios] | G81-3000
Coming up:
    DZ60/SKB60-WKL [100g MX Silent Blacks] | G81-3000 [Box Navies] Handwire
IC/GB:
    GMK Strogg | G81/80-3000 MX metal plate

« Reply #167 on: Fri, 27 April 2018, 16:45:21 »
Just to make sure: has the 60% WKL case reached MOQ or not yet?

yes, WKL at 17, HHKB at 15

« Reply #168 on: Fri, 27 April 2018, 16:54:02 »
Ordered a DZ60 with USB-C this week for this case, it seemed like the least "bells and whistles" PCB that fits this case and supports QMK. :)

so you will go WKL with the DZ60 PCB? that means USB-C is super important to you, since you could just take a normal SATAN PCB for the WKL layout.

btw QMK is my favorite as well. once you know how to make your keymaps it works really good. no problem with two SATAN PCBs and one GH60 PCB so far. though I hope I will be able to use the linux subsystem in windows after the upcoming april-update instead of the msys2 terminal.

Offline Draic

« Reply #169 on: Sat, 28 April 2018, 07:17:22 »
though I hope I will be able to use the linux subsystem in windows after the upcoming april-update instead of the msys2 terminal.

oh the update makes it possible to flash via WSL? I have been using it to compile my QMK firmware already. Would be nice to do both from one terminal
« Last Edit: Sat, 28 April 2018, 07:24:07 by Draic »

Offline Captainbuttmonkey

« Reply #170 on: Sat, 28 April 2018, 07:28:27 »
Probably the most comprehensive and well organised group buy I have seen. Awesome idea too and something actually very unique, just signed up for a case for my yas  :thumb:

Offline tedk

« Reply #171 on: Sat, 28 April 2018, 08:25:32 »
How cool is that? Im in for 60 and 65 percent :)

But it will be for sure.

Offline BerserkZz

« Reply #172 on: Sat, 28 April 2018, 15:27:54 »
Have we past 70 for 60%?

Offline reconsiderit

• I'm actually not left handed www.switchplate.co
« Reply #173 on: Sat, 28 April 2018, 18:26:07 »
I'll be grabbing a 65 when those go live. Is it MOQ30 for each variant?
Southpaw 65 || Southpaw Full Size || Trinity XT TKL || TGR Jane V2 || TGR 910 RE || Duck Jetfire || Matrix Lab 1.2 OG || Jubi || Lunar || Lunar II || g80-1800 HEU

switchplate.co

Offline ojrask

• juuh elikkäs
« Reply #174 on: Sun, 29 April 2018, 14:50:08 »

so you will go WKL with the DZ60 PCB? that means USB-C is super important to you, since you could just take a normal SATAN PCB for the WKL layout.

btw QMK is my favorite as well. once you know how to make your keymaps it works really good. no problem with two SATAN PCBs and one GH60 PCB so far. though I hope I will be able to use the linux subsystem in windows after the upcoming april-update instead of the msys2 terminal.

Yeah I considered Satan and GH60, but I wanted a 60% with USB-C (got iErgoDox and Pearl40% as USB-C only right now) and DZ60 was the only choice I found at a reasonable price when I quickly searched. This case is closed format so underglow not needed and I don't like backlighting that much either so did not want to waste money on those features with this one. :)

My first DIY kit was a Satan, jumped straight into QMK without even checking for GUI tool thingies or anything. Was a hassle but managed to get it working after a few hours of cussing and googling. :D

EDIT:

HOOLLL UP

I did not notice the DZ60 had underglow LEDs. Oh well, I can try and see how it works with the SKB60. :D
« Last Edit: Sun, 29 April 2018, 15:01:15 by ojrask »
Current:
    Ducky DK9008P [MX Blues] | WASD V2 TKL [MX Blues] | r63 (Satan 60% DIY) [Gateron Browns] | BananaSplit 60% [Gateron Greens] | UK78 [67g Zealios] | Infinity ErgoDox [MX Clears] | Pearl 40% [78g Zealios] | G81-3000
Coming up:
    DZ60/SKB60-WKL [100g MX Silent Blacks] | G81-3000 [Box Navies] Handwire
IC/GB:
    GMK Strogg | G81/80-3000 MX metal plate

Offline monkt

« Reply #175 on: Sun, 29 April 2018, 15:34:25 »
This looks really nice, and I think I'd like to get in on it. However, I've never built a board before. Would someone here advise me on which options to order? Here's what I'd like to end up with:

1. HHKB layout. Looks to me like I should get either SKB60 HHKB / Plate A, or SKB60 YAS / Plate B. I'm not clear on the difference.

2. Is split space-bar possible?

3. Which pcb to go with the above? I don't have a windows machine, so if there's a firmware download/upgrade necessary, could I do it on mac/linux?

4. How likely am I to destroy the pcb if I've never soldered before? In which case maybe a second pcb would be useful?

5. Was there a price estimate on shipping the above items to the U.S.? I haven't chosen my items on the order form yet, so I can't see shipping and paypal charges.

Thanks for your help.

« Reply #176 on: Sun, 29 April 2018, 16:22:21 »
though I hope I will be able to use the linux subsystem in windows after the upcoming april-update instead of the msys2 terminal.
oh the update makes it possible to flash via WSL? I have been using it to compile my QMK firmware already. Would be nice to do both from one terminal

I don't know if. I just read that WSL will get further improvements with the update. So I'm just hoping - probably for nothing. We'll see tomorrow, then it will be available.

« Reply #177 on: Sun, 29 April 2018, 16:23:10 »

« Reply #178 on: Sun, 29 April 2018, 16:26:01 »
I'll be grabbing a 65 when those go live. Is it MOQ30 for each variant?
MOQ is lower for the 60s cause they share parts. In the beginning I said 10 but that was stupid, 15 should really be the minimum otherwise it would be problematic for me. I'm lucky we have more now, so all OK. 75% has a MOQ of 20 but it is well over 30 now. 65% will have MOQ 20 as well. Think I'll be ready to add it tomorrow or Tuesday.

The only variant/kit that performs really bad is the "SKB60-Standard with Plate-B". Only 6 want this kit so far. That kit makes sense for those who want to squeeze the arrow-cluster into the standard 60%. Can be done with the DZ60 PCB for example (shown in the plate layout illustrations).

« Reply #179 on: Sun, 29 April 2018, 16:37:49 »
Yeah I considered Satan and GH60, but I wanted a 60% with USB-C (got iErgoDox and Pearl40% as USB-C only right now) and DZ60 was the only choice I found at a reasonable price when I quickly searched. This case is closed format so underglow not needed and I don't like backlighting that much either so did not want to waste money on those features with this one. :)

My first DIY kit was a Satan, jumped straight into QMK without even checking for GUI tool thingies or anything. Was a hassle but managed to get it working after a few hours of cussing and googling. :D
yes, just quickly setting it up after you took hours building you keyboard is not how it works. I also needed to invest some time before I got it but once you are comfortable with it is really good. The official guide is very good and this youtube tutorial helped me as well. I like the satan PCB also because there are a lot of keymaps in the github repository that I could learn from. Glad I'm not a fan of LED lighting keyboards, all the extra lines of code for RGB stuff seem to be quite complicated.

« Reply #180 on: Sun, 29 April 2018, 17:07:33 »
This looks really nice, and I think I'd like to get in on it. However, I've never built a board before. Would someone here advise me on which options to order? Here's what I'd like to end up with:

1. HHKB layout. Looks to me like I should get either SKB60 HHKB / Plate A, or SKB60 YAS / Plate B. I'm not clear on the difference.
2. Is split space-bar possible?
3. Which pcb to go with the above? I don't have a windows machine, so if there's a firmware download/upgrade necessary, could I do it on mac/linux?
4. How likely am I to destroy the pcb if I've never soldered before? In which case maybe a second pcb would be useful?
5. Was there a price estimate on shipping the above items to the U.S.? I haven't chosen my items on the order form yet, so I can't see shipping and paypal charges.

Thanks for your help.
1. HHKB is not for everyone. It is beautiful but not all can/want adapt to the layout. The YAS looks a little bit like HHKB because it has the narrower bottom row as well, not as much though. Most noticeable about the YAS is that it incorporates the arrow-cluster which is not common for 60% keyboards. That's why most program their arrow keys to another layer and access it via Fn key. If you rely heavily on the arrow keys then I recommend you go for the YAS version. It is also the only version that I can provide you with the PCB. Take a look at the original GB here.

2. Yes, pretty much every plate/version supports some kind of split spacebar. of course you have to chose the right PCB to make it happen.

3. If you want HHKB, getting a SATAN PCB is probably the simplest solution for you. If you are on mac/linux then this is perfect. QMK firmware works better on these compared to windows. If you decide for YAS version, then you can just choose the PCB in the order form and you will get it as well. It does not run QMK, it runs L3 firmware, which has a GUI.

4. If you have never soldered before, you should really watch some youtube tutorials on that. Also practice before, don't let the PCB be the first thing you start soldering with. Stuff like how to install your stabilizers the right way is something you will have to look into as well. And switches of course.

5. Shipping, see opening post and the discussion. I mentioned other options in the discussion and I will explore further options. Paypal fees can't be much I think. Less than 2% in Germany I think, not sure.
« Last Edit: Sun, 29 April 2018, 17:14:30 by PlastikSchnittstelle »

Offline RealLaugh

« Reply #181 on: Mon, 30 April 2018, 00:33:49 »
This looks really nice, and I think I'd like to get in on it. However, I've never built a board before. Would someone here advise me on which options to...
1. HHKB is not for everyone. It is beautiful but not all can/want adapt to the layout. The YAS looks a little bit like HHKB because it has the narrower bottom row as well, not as much though. Most noticeable about the YAS is that it incorporates the arrow-cluster which is not common for 60% keyboards. That's why most program their arrow keys to another layer...

great advice. I would add to not just watch soldering videos, you must watch Wodan's build videos, since then you can see a great technique to solder the switches tightly to the plate/PCB. I think he talks about this technique in the KBD75 video. Link to channel is here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOfwAlVn0JxymLljlDnOODQ

Offline monkt

« Reply #182 on: Mon, 30 April 2018, 10:11:07 »
This looks really nice, and I think I'd like to get in on it. However, I've never built a board before. Would someone here advise me on which options to...
1. HHKB is not for everyone. It is beautiful but not all can/want adapt to the layout. The YAS looks a little bit like HHKB because it has the narrower bottom row as well, not as much though. Most noticeable about the YAS is that it incorporates the arrow-cluster which is not common for 60% keyboards. That's why most program their arrow keys to another layer...

great advice. I would add to not just watch soldering videos, you must watch Wodan's build videos, since then you can see a great technique to solder the switches tightly to the plate/PCB. I think he talks about this technique in the KBD75 video. Link to channel is here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOfwAlVn0JxymLljlDnOODQ

Thanks for the replies. I'll check out that video and start looking into soldering tools.

In the meantime, is there a 60%, programmable, hotswap board that would fit with this project? That would be the most fool-proof solution for me until I can figure the rest out.

Offline FSund

« Reply #183 on: Mon, 30 April 2018, 13:44:50 »

Probably somewhere around here I'm guessing?

In the meantime, is there a 60%, programmable, hotswap board that would fit with this project? That would be the most fool-proof solution for me until I can figure the rest out.

The GK64 is one alternative
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/KBDfans-new-arrival-GK64-pcb-RGB-60-64KEYS-HOT-SWAP-PCB-diy-mechanical-keyboard-hotswap-socket/32837229165.html
Join the Mechanical Keyboards Norway Discord server

« Reply #184 on: Mon, 30 April 2018, 14:24:34 »
Told you I'd buy some cables just to make sure there won't be any issues. Got them today. Two with USB-Mini-B plug and another two with USB-C plug. They all fit without interfering. Seems like my "make-sure-the-cable-fits" warning was a bit exaggerated. Let me explain again: It's not about making the cutout big enough - that's not a problem of course, it's about the screw coming down from the top, exactly where the cable is. But like I said, just enough clearance so the screw doesn't touch any of the four cables I bought. These are the ones:
- deleyCON mini USB
- AmazonBasics USB 2.0 A-Stecker auf Mini-B-Stecker
- AUKEY USB C Kabel auf USB A
- AmazonBasics - USB C Kabel auf USB Typ

194838-0 194840-1 194842-2
« Last Edit: Mon, 30 April 2018, 14:37:23 by PlastikSchnittstelle »

Offline Zuology

• Why does this rabbit-hole have so many side-quests
« Reply #185 on: Tue, 01 May 2018, 08:58:15 »
<retracted>
« Last Edit: Tue, 01 May 2018, 10:25:04 by Zuology »
More
75%: Scarlet Bandana (TBD) | Singa75 Polycarb (TBD) | SKB75 (TBD) | YMD75 (Box Navy) | XD84 (Outemu Ice) | Plum84 (BKE Redux Heavy)
TKL: ALF X1.1 SE (TBD) | LZ Iron White (TBD) | Fox Labs Orange (TBD) | Alu WASDv2 (Cherry Green) | MechkeyAlpha MA87 (Kailh Box Burnt Orange) | Archon RE:AL Superior EX (Nopre 65g)
Full+: Clueboard Double 1800 (Vint Clears) | IBM Model M | IBM Model F XT

« Reply #186 on: Tue, 01 May 2018, 10:11:42 »
Just wanted to offer that I created a very basic little signature banner if anyone wants to use to promote this project. It's in the imgur gallery I have for this project here at the end: https://imgur.com/a/D4rSz. If anyone else wants to take time to do their own that is better, please share!

Thank you very much, but please let me do the banner myself. I will have one by tomorrow, meanwhile there is no need for this one. I really appreciate the effort, but all the artwork has to be made by myself. Please understand that I can't approve the use of this banner. Wait until tomorrow - then I have on. Thanks.

Offline Zuology

« Reply #187 on: Tue, 01 May 2018, 10:26:19 »
Understood, and my apology. Not familiar with the etiquette of GH/banners, just eager :)
More
75%: Scarlet Bandana (TBD) | Singa75 Polycarb (TBD) | SKB75 (TBD) | YMD75 (Box Navy) | XD84 (Outemu Ice) | Plum84 (BKE Redux Heavy)
TKL: ALF X1.1 SE (TBD) | LZ Iron White (TBD) | Fox Labs Orange (TBD) | Alu WASDv2 (Cherry Green) | MechkeyAlpha MA87 (Kailh Box Burnt Orange) | Archon RE:AL Superior EX (Nopre 65g)

Offline Data

« Reply #188 on: Tue, 01 May 2018, 12:10:31 »
Told you I'd buy some cables just to make sure there won't be any issues. Got them today. Two with USB-Mini-B plug and another two with USB-C plug. They all fit without interfering. Seems like my "make-sure-the-cable-fits" warning was a bit exaggerated. Let me explain again: It's not about making the cutout big enough - that's not a problem of course, it's about the screw coming down from the top, exactly where the cable is. But like I said, just enough clearance so the screw doesn't touch any of the four cables I bought. These are the ones:
- deleyCON mini USB

(Attachment Link) (Attachment Link) (Attachment Link)

Perchance have you made any photos of this "screw touching" phenomenon?

That sentence sounds oddly inappropriate...  :-[

Offline Zuology

« Reply #189 on: Tue, 01 May 2018, 12:13:58 »
- deleyCON mini USB

(Attachment Link) (Attachment Link) (Attachment Link)

This pic shows the screw coming in above the USB port cutout:
More

« Reply #190 on: Tue, 01 May 2018, 18:12:01 »

:))
NO SCREW TOUCHING PLEASE!!!

Show Image

yep, thanks, that shows it quite well. but like I described, after I checked different cables: NO SCREW TOUCHING!!! so everything is fine :D

« Reply #191 on: Tue, 01 May 2018, 18:14:14 »
Understood, and my apology. Not familiar with the etiquette of GH/banners, just eager :)

no problem ;)

here you go, signature banner ready.

It already shows the 65% as well, I'll add it to the order-form tomorrow.

Offline Data

« Reply #192 on: Tue, 01 May 2018, 19:31:42 »

:))
NO SCREW TOUCHING PLEASE!!!

Show Image

yep, thanks, that shows it quite well. but like I described, after I checked different cables: NO SCREW TOUCHING!!! so everything is fine :D

Yeah, thank you both.

It looks like if someone was especially paranoid about the screw they could just replace it with a shorter screw. Easy.

Offline Zuology

« Reply #193 on: Tue, 01 May 2018, 20:13:58 »
It looks like if someone was especially paranoid about the screw they could just replace it with a shorter screw. Easy.

I don't believe you could easily just use a shorter screw in that one place. The picture shows it with the standoff/spacer in place that sets the distance/depth of the entire plate/pcb assembly. After you stack on the plate, there is a nut that then threads on to secure it in place, and that nut sits flush with the end of the screw from other pics (in one of the 3 sample build galleries it is shown clearly). If you wanted shorter screw, you might compromise the security of that nut being properly threaded, so you would potentially have to adjust spacers (all of them, to keep it level) as well as all the screws, and then the plate/pcb would sit "higher" in the case, making it more of a mid/low profile look with switches being exposed and giving some keycap upskirts.

Also, the official GB banner looks great, very clean! Much better than the quick and dirty hackjob I initially offered.
More

Offline TyrionLannister

« Reply #194 on: Tue, 01 May 2018, 22:25:11 »
In the initial IC, you had the 65% as a mid-profile. Is it going to be 'upgraded' to hi-profile like the rest of the cases?

Also, question for anyone reading: does anyone have any good suggestions for PCBs that have south-facing LEDs? The Tada68 board has north-facing LEDs, which causes cherry profile R3 caps to hit the top of the switch, creating an unpleasant sound. The M65 PCB has south facing, but it's sold out, and the other options seem to be sold out as well.

If not, I can use xda/dsa or something else I guess :rolleyes:

« Reply #195 on: Wed, 02 May 2018, 04:12:46 »
I don't believe you could easily just use a shorter screw in that one place. The picture shows it with the standoff/spacer in place that sets the distance/depth of the entire plate/pcb assembly. After you stack on the plate, there is a nut that then threads on to secure it in place, and that nut sits flush with the end of the screw from other pics (in one of the 3 sample build galleries it is shown clearly). If you wanted shorter screw, you might compromise the security of that nut being properly threaded, so you would potentially have to adjust spacers (all of them, to keep it level) as well as all the screws, and then the plate/pcb would sit "higher" in the case, making it more of a mid/low profile look with switches being exposed and giving some keycap upskirts.

yes, you explained it very well. if you can take shorter or longer screws - but you would have to use shorter or longer standoffs then as well. you can basically adjust how deep the plate (together with switches and PCB) sinks into the frame.

« Reply #196 on: Wed, 02 May 2018, 04:21:44 »
In the initial IC, you had the 65% as a mid-profile. Is it going to be 'upgraded' to hi-profile like the rest of the cases?

not like the old prototype. will be high profile, just like the other SKBs.
back then I liked the idea of lower profiles or floating keys. but since then a lot has changed, don't like it anymore myself, high profile all the way now :)

« Reply #197 on: Wed, 02 May 2018, 04:29:04 »
Also, question for anyone reading: does anyone have any good suggestions for PCBs that have south-facing LEDs? The Tada68 board has north-facing LEDs, which causes cherry profile R3 caps to hit the top of the switch, creating an unpleasant sound. The M65 PCB has south facing, but it's sold out, and the other options seem to be sold out as well.

switches in the wrong orientation? oh yes, this is something that extremely annoys me as well. the satan pcb which is in two of my builds is done in this fashion as well. but as far as I can tell cherry profile abs doubleshot keycaps (GMK) don't hit the switch housing. this only happens with very thick pbt keycas and only some of a set. enjoy pbt for example, only on some modifier keys.
« Last Edit: Wed, 02 May 2018, 04:35:20 by PlastikSchnittstelle »

Offline Waven

« Reply #198 on: Wed, 02 May 2018, 05:30:03 »

It looks like Keyclack has M65-A pcbs in stock:
https://www.keyclack.com/product/m65apcb

Offline mkarlsson

« Reply #199 on: Wed, 02 May 2018, 06:35:41 »

Maybe the winkeyless.kr 22mini b?

https://winkeyless.kr/product/22mini-b-x2-pcb/