Author Topic: Car Thread  (Read 647998 times)

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
Re: Car Thread
« Reply #350 on: Wed, 08 April 2015, 01:13:30 »
I got my 07 335i about a week ago, and I'm in love with it. Haven't driven a 135i, but I can strongly recommend a 335i. It's a great balance of comfort, handling, and power, all while being a bit of a sleeper.

335i is OK, 335d is better, but all BMWs are overrated anyway.
Eh, the diesel life isn't really for me. I haven't really found anything about this car, or any other BMW I've driven or been in, to be overrated.

The N54 is really sweet, you'll love it. I don't recommending modding it, but if you really must, there are lots of ways to get easy power out of it on stock turbos and internals. Downpipes/intercooler/ECU tune is an easy extra 100hp, but I'm really not a fan of modding power without modding suspension/handling.

There really isn't anything else there that has the balance of power, handling, comfort, electronics/entertainment out there for the same price. It's a really well balance of performance and minimal luxury!

I've started thinking...

List what you guys think are wolves in sheep's clothing.
Example: 135i N54 and 335i. Also the new M235i with the N55 has a forged bottom end.

I really like the N54, since I daily drive one, but I don't think these cars are considered sleepers, unless you compare them to exotics.

That said, no one will expect a N54 335i to have 650hp, and handling/track suspension of a M3, if you decide to go that route and mod it with a full suspension overhaul of M3 parts, coilovers, and upgraded turbos. That's a lot of money.

You'll always have people who have minimal knowledge of cars look at cars solely based on what brand it is :P

Sleepers are probably more like... hmm, I'd say the new Tesla P85D... so sleeper that you won't even hear it coming  :D
« Last Edit: Wed, 08 April 2015, 01:30:35 by Karura »

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #351 on: Wed, 08 April 2015, 01:16:23 »
The weather's starting to warm up!

Just put on the summer tires, and gave it a nice wash. I prefer to do my own wrenching  :thumb:

« Last Edit: Wed, 08 April 2015, 01:23:53 by Karura »

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline AbyssPWNS

« Reply #352 on: Wed, 08 April 2015, 06:08:49 »
I'd probably get some new downpipes, etc. and do some suspension work, but my budget doesn't really allow for that at this point in time. The future may be another story though. I've got some plans for that car haha

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #353 on: Fri, 10 April 2015, 09:33:45 »
It's roof rack time :)

Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline Freebird

• SSRCG
« Reply #354 on: Fri, 10 April 2015, 17:18:44 »
I got my 07 335i about a week ago, and I'm in love with it. Haven't driven a 135i, but I can strongly recommend a 335i. It's a great balance of comfort, handling, and power, all while being a bit of a sleeper.

335i is OK, 335d is better, but all BMWs are overrated anyway.
Eh, the diesel life isn't really for me. I haven't really found anything about this car, or any other BMW I've driven or been in, to be overrated.

The N54 is really sweet, you'll love it. I don't recommending modding it, but if you really must, there are lots of ways to get easy power out of it on stock turbos and internals. Downpipes/intercooler/ECU tune is an easy extra 100hp, but I'm really not a fan of modding power without modding suspension/handling.

There really isn't anything else there that has the balance of power, handling, comfort, electronics/entertainment out there for the same price. It's a really well balance of performance and minimal luxury!

I've started thinking...

List what you guys think are wolves in sheep's clothing.
Example: 135i N54 and 335i. Also the new M235i with the N55 has a forged bottom end.

I really like the N54, since I daily drive one, but I don't think these cars are considered sleepers, unless you compare them to exotics.

That said, no one will expect a N54 335i to have 650hp, and handling/track suspension of a M3, if you decide to go that route and mod it with a full suspension overhaul of M3 parts, coilovers, and upgraded turbos. That's a lot of money.

You'll always have people who have minimal knowledge of cars look at cars solely based on what brand it is :P

Sleepers are probably more like... hmm, I'd say the new Tesla P85D... so sleeper that you won't even hear it coming  :D

I would be more inclined to do suspension and visual changes before upping power, I would want to get to a point where I feel like I would like more power. The beauty of going for a forced induction engine is that it really is much easier to get performance increases over a naturally aspirated lol.

I should be going to look at a few 135i's this weekend, just need to make some calls in the morning!

I think I would like to end up with a DCT one, or a manual. I will leave the auto alone, I imagine it is still good though.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #355 on: Fri, 10 April 2015, 17:23:38 »
For whatever reason, I just can't stand the 1 series. Or A3s. I just couldn't do it to myself.

Offline billnye

• ability man
« Reply #356 on: Fri, 10 April 2015, 17:24:58 »
High speed car chase streaming live: http://ktla.com/on-air/live-streaming/

Offline Freebird

• SSRCG
« Reply #357 on: Fri, 10 April 2015, 17:26:03 »
Each to their own, but I am only interested in the coupe, not the hatchback.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #358 on: Fri, 10 April 2015, 17:27:53 »

Tuned in just in time to see him get his tail whipped round.

"High speed car chase" in a Prius lmao.

The amount of guns trained on this man right now is insane

Offline billnye

• ability man
« Reply #359 on: Fri, 10 April 2015, 17:33:10 »

Tuned in just in time to see him get his tail whipped round.

"High speed car chase" in a Prius lmao.

The amount of guns trained on this man right now is insane
webm of him getting smashed

http://i.4cdn.org/pol/1428704930383.webm

#rippriuslad

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #360 on: Fri, 10 April 2015, 17:42:30 »

Show Image

Awesome MKII Man! :D

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #361 on: Fri, 10 April 2015, 17:44:19 »

My FJ the day I brought it home.  Also not a racecar, but I love it.  It really needs a roof rack though...

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #362 on: Fri, 10 April 2015, 17:45:22 »
Show Image

My FJ the day I brought it home.  Also not a racecar, but I love it.  It really needs a roof rack though...

FJs are badass dude! I like them alot though Ill probably go with a Wrangler or Cherokee because of the rear doors.

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #363 on: Fri, 10 April 2015, 17:49:23 »
Show Image

FJs are badass dude! I like them alot though Ill probably go with a Wrangler or Cherokee because of the rear doors.

Thanks bro.  It is pretty tough to get in and out of the rear of it, so I don't blame anyone for making that decision.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #364 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 06:46:52 »
Show Image

Thanks bro.  It is pretty tough to get in and out of the rear of it, so I don't blame anyone for making that decision.

I found the rear doors on these interesting too.  I had to watch a video on YouTube to find out how they work :))
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #365 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 08:01:15 »

Show Image

Awesome MKII Man! :D

Thanks man, I'm going to paint the rack and add some wood to it so it eventually looks something like this:

I was going to rat it up a bit, but I think I might just cut an inch off the springs and stick my steelies on then that's it :)

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #366 on: Tue, 14 April 2015, 16:08:34 »
Got some more little things for my car, it's gonna look pretty dope :)

just need a trip to the ironmongers on Thursday for longer bolts for the roof rack and some grub screws for the new gear shifter :)

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #367 on: Fri, 17 April 2015, 21:00:46 »
Changed up my wheels a bit (they were gold).  Picked up a new display case for my models and other stuff yesterday.  It will probably end up with some keyboards in there once I thin out the models  ;D

97651-0

Put it together this morning and started putting some stuff on the shelves that has been in boxes for several years.  Some didn't survive the storage so I let my daughter completely destroy them (the ones on the bottom shelf).  She was saying "zoom zoom" and driving them around while they were shedding parts  :thumb:

97653-1
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 April 2015, 21:20:58 by Badwrench »
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #368 on: Fri, 17 April 2015, 21:22:06 »
Got some more little things for my car, it's gonna look pretty dope :)

just need a trip to the ironmongers on Thursday for longer bolts for the roof rack and some grub screws for the new gear shifter :)

Well, I got the new bolts, but the grub screws are too long. Even like 5mm grub screws are too long for the threading on my shifter...

Changed up my wheels a bit (they were gold).  Picked up a new display case for my models and other stuff.  It will probably end up with some keyboards in there once I thin out the models  ;D

(Attachment Link)

Nice wheels! There is something about trailers on small cars I love. I was thinking of buying a towbar and making a trailer out of an old Mk2 someone is scrapping... Something like this

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #369 on: Sat, 18 April 2015, 16:31:46 »
Changed up my wheels a bit (they were gold).  Picked up a new display case for my models and other stuff yesterday.  It will probably end up with some keyboards in there once I thin out the models  ;D

(Attachment Link)

Whoa! Nice Honda man! The wheels are sick. You on coilovers? I just put some Progress coilovers on my EM2 Civic.  :thumb:

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #370 on: Sat, 18 April 2015, 17:02:10 »

(Attachment Link)

Whoa! Nice Honda man! The wheels are sick. You on coilovers? I just put some Progress coilovers on my EM2 Civic.  :thumb:
Thanks.  Yeah, I am on Tanabe Sustec Pros.  Front is all the way down, but the rear is up a couple cm so that i can load the car up and not worry about it.  Pics of the Civic?

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #371 on: Sat, 18 April 2015, 17:04:17 »

(Attachment Link)

Thanks.  Yeah, I am on Tanabe Sustec Pros.  Front is all the way down, but the rear is up a couple cm so that i can load the car up and not worry about it.  Pics of the Civic?

Is that a watch winder box at the bottom of that cabinet too?

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #372 on: Sat, 18 April 2015, 17:05:37 »

(Attachment Link)

Is that a watch winder box at the bottom of that cabinet too?
Yup.  Holds my collection of old Seikos and my Montress Allison. 

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #373 on: Sat, 18 April 2015, 17:16:28 »
Yup.  Holds my collection of old Seikos and my Montress Allison.

They look nice, have you got any more pictures of them?

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #374 on: Sat, 18 April 2015, 21:17:53 »

(Attachment Link)

Awesome man!  :thumb: Mine is only lowered 1.8" in rear and 1.4" in front. Ill upload a photo for you. Im on stock wheels right now.

Offline RickyJ

« Reply #375 on: Tue, 21 April 2015, 00:29:05 »
Holy crap, so close to getting my rear wheels finished!  It's taken way too long...

Before (previous owner), not even the worst section:

All rash/nicks/etc filed down to base metal, then filled with JB Weld putty (approved method by wheel repair guys; basic Bondo has held up just fine on my winter wheels for 4 years so far):

Re-formed the lips by hand! Wurth BMW Silver Metallic paint, wetsanded, then clear coated with a high quality two-part urethane.  Just needs a bit of wetsanding then quick polish!
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 April 2015, 00:31:17 by RickyJ »
Currently GMMK Pro: lubed 68g U4T, FR4 plate, extra gaskets, etc

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #376 on: Tue, 21 April 2015, 06:05:57 »
That's some great work! They look really really good, I can't believe how people let their wheels get like that.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #377 on: Tue, 21 April 2015, 11:22:30 »
That's some great work! They look really really good, I can't believe how people let their wheels get like that.

The best way to park near a curb is to hit it first.  :p

Seriously though, there are way to many people with poor car control that have a license.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #378 on: Wed, 22 April 2015, 22:37:35 »
got this on sunday.

ridiculously fun.

No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #379 on: Wed, 22 April 2015, 22:40:38 »
got this on sunday.

ridiculously fun.

Show Image

Welcome back Demik! :)
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #380 on: Wed, 22 April 2015, 22:42:45 »
got this on sunday.

ridiculously fun.

Show Image

I tot u iz ded.
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #381 on: Wed, 22 April 2015, 22:43:02 »
got this on sunday.

ridiculously fun.

Show Image

demik!!!!!!!!!

It better be stick.  :cool:
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #382 on: Wed, 22 April 2015, 22:48:51 »
got this on sunday.

ridiculously fun.

Show Image

Welcome back Demik! :)

thanks

got this on sunday.

ridiculously fun.

Show Image

I tot u iz ded.

nope, still alive.

got this on sunday.

ridiculously fun.

Show Image

demik!!!!!!!!!

It better be stick.  :cool:

of course. im actually re-learning how to drive stick since it's been awhile.

another ****ty pic, waiting to get insured

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #383 on: Wed, 22 April 2015, 22:52:39 »
Nice to see that you're back and got a new ride =)
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #384 on: Wed, 22 April 2015, 23:06:27 »
got this on sunday.

ridiculously fun.

Show Image

Excellent way back  :thumb:

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #385 on: Wed, 22 April 2015, 23:08:42 »
i figured you fellow small car lovers would approve :)

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #386 on: Wed, 22 April 2015, 23:10:09 »
i figured you fellow small car lovers would approve :)

I approve of any new car in the US that's stick.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #387 on: Wed, 22 April 2015, 23:10:46 »
well, you're in luck. ST is manual only.

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #388 on: Wed, 22 April 2015, 23:21:55 »
Next stop?

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #389 on: Wed, 22 April 2015, 23:24:45 »
Next stop?
Show Image

was thinking:

already signed up at FSTF too :P

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #390 on: Wed, 22 April 2015, 23:31:11 »
Next stop?
Show Image

was thinking:

Show Image

already signed up at FSTF too :P

Yup, that works too.  For some reason, the multi-spoke style wheels just look good on the Fiesta.  The stock 5 spokes look odd to me.  Also, the front needs the lip spoiler, even if you don't lower it, it really finishes the front and gets rid of the round nose look. 

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #391 on: Wed, 22 April 2015, 23:39:18 »
yeah, im not a huge fan of the stock wheels.

and im looking at getting a front lip and lowering the car a bit more. but the streets here are unforgiving.

only thing that sucks about the fiesta is the lugs, so many more options for 5 lugs than 4.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #392 on: Wed, 22 April 2015, 23:52:56 »

and im looking at getting a front lip and lowering the car a bit more. but the streets here are unforgiving.

only thing that sucks about the fiesta is the lugs, so many more options for 5 lugs than 4.

Please don't slam it.

I never realized it used 4 lug wheels.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #393 on: Wed, 22 April 2015, 23:55:08 »

Please don't slam it.

I never realized it used 4 lug wheels.

im a fan of stance, but i personally wouldn't do it myself. but a 1 inch drop is needed.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #394 on: Wed, 22 April 2015, 23:57:13 »
If you want stance save up for a good set of bags, there are some that'll allow you to get the stance while still being able to track it.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #395 on: Thu, 23 April 2015, 00:06:46 »
definitely

but im just looking for a slight drop. i want to go fast, not low and slow :P

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #396 on: Thu, 23 April 2015, 14:36:02 »
definitely

but im just looking for a slight drop. i want to go fast, not low and slow
I started with a slight drop, but after a while it wasnt enough.  Also, with the Fit, there is really no such thing as fast, so I went with low.  I did choose a coilover that is tuned for daily use over an overdampened/overly stiff setup that I could really slam since I drive about 100 milrs a day.  I can still get over speedbumps and into driveways and my Wige doesnt complain when we take my car.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #397 on: Thu, 23 April 2015, 17:26:32 »
Stole a couple of pallets from one of the places on my industrial estate. All I need is varnish for the wood and black paint for the aluminium rack and I'm sorted.

This month to buy:

Etch Primer. Good deal with black spray found on ebay  :thumb:

Tires for my summer wheels only 3 months after I bought the rims...

Edit: Welcome back demik. We missed you. :)  :-*

Offline Psybin

• of Rallos Zek
« Reply #398 on: Thu, 23 April 2015, 18:06:12 »
Those little Fords are supposed to be a blast. The guys on the /Drive channel on YouTube love them. Replacing the stock wheels and doing a slight drop is the best route to go at first. Just research the hell out of it so you get the best width/offset and what the best springs would be with stock struts. It took me a month to pick out my wheels, and I'm regretting the springs, doing Ohlins second week of May.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #399 on: Thu, 23 April 2015, 18:08:15 »

(Attachment Link)

Here you go bro!

Lowered 1.8" in rear and 1.4" in front. Camber kit in rear and front to fix alignment. Just did the front today, rides WAY better now.

Here is one I took a couple weeks ago before I removed the stock pinstripes. :P
This was about 2.1" rear and 1.5" front lowered at the time..

:cool:
« Last Edit: Mon, 31 August 2015, 13:15:46 by dustinhxc »