Author Topic: Why do kids think that they need the best graphics card just to play one game?  (Read 6434 times)

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
Why do kids think they need the best graphics card to play just one game like fortnite? I'e seen stories before about kids needing one of those but whats the point if you're just going to play one game on it? Most people who have these graphics cards play multiple games with it.
Why?I don't understand...

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
Why do you need anything?

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
I've just noticed you discuss CM Storm Spawn's firmware issues above. Have you taken the latest update into account? Speaking of that (the spawn has been discontinued in Europe due to bad reputation probably caused by the firmware), do you plan to mention availability of each mouse?

Well, technically speaking the only things you need in life are food, water shelter and clothing.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......

kids don't always understand, sometimes they just do things that don't make sense

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
Show Image

sometimes they just do things that don't make sense

Your gif is unrelated, though.

Offline 1swt2gs

• DOGE
Why do kids think they need the best graphics card to play just one game like fortnite? I'e seen stories before about kids needing one of those but whats the point if you're just going to play one game on it? Most people who have these graphics cards play multiple games with it.

It's just a matter of wanting the newest and best thing, or being clueless.

a gtx 1060 6gb or a rx580 can run fortnite at  90+ fps easily.

https://www.userbenchmark.com/PCGame/FPS-Estimates-Fortnite/3954/153864.0.0.0.0

https://www.userbenchmark.com/PCGame/FPS-Estimates-Fortnite/3954/268793.0.0.0.0

-

Also, sometimes you are currently just on 1 game. I hop around a bunch of different games but mainly have 1 I stick with no matter what!
Such artisan, many caps, very keyboard.

Always searching for Bro caps! 

1swt2gs classifieds!

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
I mean, it may be the age difference, but I really find it hard to give a crap about what people I've never met or will ever meet do with their money.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
Some is wanting the best, but mostly I blame Youtube for this.
You see guys like Linux Tech Tips, Gamers Nexus and Jayz2cents throwing around Titans and 1080's and such like they are a dime a dozen. They get handed a LOT of free (high end) parts, the average person is NOT running this stuff.

One look at the Steam hardware survey proves this (more on this below).

Also, sometimes you are currently just on 1 game. I hop around a bunch of different games but mainly have 1 I stick with no matter what!

Depends A LOT on the person/customer.
People without a clue balk at gaming system prices, "I can buy a gaming system at Walmart for $500, why is this $1400?". They don't understand that you can't toss a $100 card into an office computer and play games (well). Then you have those who only know enough to be dangerous, these people balk at a GTX 1060.

I do agree though, the people with "some" knowledge tend to knock these when in reality they work perfectly fine (I use a 580 and my system is a beast). For well over a decade a $300 gaming card (or thereabout) has been the best bang for the buck and you get quickly diminishing returns on anything above that with very little in the way of future proofing. The last few gaming systems I've built for myself and others all used GTX 1060 and RX580's. Would they like a GTX 1080? Of course, but even if they had it their experience wouldn't change. They don't have the screen resolution to push the GTX 1080, would bottleneck at the CPU/ram, or their frame rates are already high enough to not make a real improvement in 99% of games. Mostly though, people in general just don't have a system capable of pushing a 1080. 

Oh, and I won't even offer a quote on a low spec gaming system just for one game, especially Fortnite. Had a customer want that exact thing and I refused to do it. They had been playing it on a laptop and kind of freaked when I quoted $1400. If it's just built for one thing, it's a dedicated system, not a gaming system, and I don't want them changing games and finding it's sub-par.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Young people don't yet understand cost, so they're more loose about Wanting something.

But overall, I would say 1080Ti is, a better buy than most things, even though it's sold at a high premium. 

Would you rather have a leather jacket, or a 1080Ti.. Just the other day, My aunt had me proxy her a $5000 jacket from hermes. I mean, you could buy 7x 1080Ti's with that, and yet, mm.. some people, Jacket.

At $60 an hour, after tax $42, that's 119 hours,  15 working days (2 weeks of labor) to earn $5000

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
Just the other day, My aunt had me proxy her a $5000 jacket from hermes.
Wat?

Offline appaboy

I have a 1070 in my machine but all I ever play is rpgmaker games and tf2  :(
PC Singa, MIR80, TX84se, g80-3314, g80-0427, g80-5000 + 5700, G80-3700, g81-3000 HBU (og wob)

HASRO keycaps
OG POM keycaps
SAI OG Italian dyesubs
Scarface Fn blank

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
I have a 1070 in my machine but all I ever play is rpgmaker games and tf2  :(

But u can enable SSAA w/ dat 1070 while other people play TF2 in pleb-mode.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
Wat?

Apologies blue, I'm not sure how to clarify your read-query. That sentence is oatmeal plain english.

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
Wat?

Apologies blue, I'm not sure how to clarify your read-query. That sentence is oatmeal plain english.
Is this the TP equivalent of does not compute? :D
$5000 dollar jacket holy smokes dude.
I'm surprised she didn't fly you there personally on a private jet.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter

?? Women buy stuff like this all the time..

I never even opened the box, I just got it from hermes and then took it to the water-trade shipping place.

Offline Timbersawdust

• aka snorlax
If there is anything on the internet that doesn't make sense, the reason is always kids

-H3H3

Offline HotRoderX

I blame targeted marketing, its been proven it works its why Tobacco adds are so restricted now days. Instead of advertising the latest product in a magazine they advertise for next to nothing thought streaming. Give a popular streamer your latest card it cost what the company maybe 700-800 bucks.. then watch sales come in cause they say how amazing the game looks with said card. I bet old fashion adverting cost far far more and didn't reach close to as many.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
I blame targeted marketing, its been proven it works its why Tobacco adds are so restricted now days. Instead of advertising the latest product in a magazine they advertise for next to nothing thought streaming. Give a popular streamer your latest card it cost what the company maybe 700-800 bucks.. then watch sales come in cause they say how amazing the game looks with said card. I bet old fashion adverting cost far far more and didn't reach close to as many.

Does it really make a difference that the young person thinks he needs THE BEST graphics card to play one game ?

Because THE BEST graphics card will play all games, including that one game..   Seems the logic works even if the intention is narrow.

In the end, the parent will buy whatever they can afford regardless of -who thunk what-..

The result is probably almost always 1060 or 1050ti, I just feel bad for the peeps playing on laptops.. what a horrible way to live. haahha, i'm joking, no i'm not, it's awful, no it's ok, but not great..

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
Only a few, a very small few.
Women's stuff can be more expensive, but that's way beyond normal.

I blame targeted marketing, its been proven it works its why Tobacco adds are so restricted now days.
I'm not sure if it's because tobacco has fallen so far out of relevance or if I've been spending faaar too much time shopping online, but I I started to read it as taobao-co.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
I just feel bad for the peeps playing on laptops.. what a horrible way to live. haahha, i'm joking, no i'm not, it's awful, no it's ok, but not great..
You have no idea how often I see this, with computer illiterate who recently switched to Mac being the worst about it.
What is worse is when they hear that their computer is not meant for gaming (or high, sustained loads in general) they immediately start trying to figure out how to upgrade to the newest Macbook, as if that will fix the gaming and heat issue.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline 1swt2gs

• DOGE
Some is wanting the best, but mostly I blame Youtube for this.
You see guys like Linux Tech Tips, Gamers Nexus and Jayz2cents throwing around Titans and 1080's and such like they are a dime a dozen. They get handed a LOT of free (high end) parts, the average person is NOT running this stuff.

One look at the Steam hardware survey proves this (more on this below).

Depends A LOT on the person/customer.
People without a clue balk at gaming system prices, "I can buy a gaming system at Walmart for $500, why is this $1400?". They don't understand that you can't toss a $100 card into an office computer and play games (well). Then you have those who only know enough to be dangerous, these people balk at a GTX 1060.

I do agree though, the people with "some" knowledge tend to knock these when in reality they work perfectly fine (I use a 580 and my system is a beast). For well over a decade a $300 gaming card (or thereabout) has been the best bang for the buck and you get quickly diminishing returns on anything above that with very little in the way of future proofing. The last few gaming systems I've built for myself and others all used GTX 1060 and RX580's. Would they like a GTX 1080? Of course, but even if they had it their experience wouldn't change. They don't have the screen resolution to push the GTX 1080, would bottleneck at the CPU/ram, or their frame rates are already high enough to not make a real improvement in 99% of games. Mostly though, people in general just don't have a system capable of pushing a 1080. 

Oh, and I won't even offer a quote on a low spec gaming system just for one game, especially Fortnite. Had a customer want that exact thing and I refused to do it. They had been playing it on a laptop and kind of freaked when I quoted $1400. If it's just built for one thing, it's a dedicated system, not a gaming system, and I don't want them changing games and finding it's sub-par.

Where do you work at that you build computers?
Such artisan, many caps, very keyboard.

Always searching for Bro caps! 

1swt2gs classifieds!

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
Where do you work at that you build computers?
I'm an independent tech.
I service everything short of corporate computer and networks, though I have been called in under emergency situations to service those as well.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline vegs

I don't play Fortnite myself, but for competitive reasons I completely understand the appeal of a good GPU :)

And "playing only one game" isn't a good argument if you ask me. If they play a single game on a competitive level and spend 30+ hrs a week on it, it would make perfectly good sense to spend the money on a good GPU. Especially in comparison to someone who (casually) plays multiple games.

Though for the kids that think they need a RTX 2080 to play Fortnite, I believe the case is that they just want to copy the setup of their favorite streamer/pro-player :))
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 February 2019, 03:38:08 by vegs »
hhkb | hhkb bt | cherry g80-5000 | haus | unikorn se

buy less

Offline naasfu

• The Curator
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • CURSE YOU HE-MAN
for a second i thought this was a tp4 thread.

oh and i have a decent graphics card and am reading threads like this instead of playing games.  just why
a cute stray cat combination that comes out happily when you look at your face is cute

WANTED: gib clacks        post your mspaints!        post your rubber domes!

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
And "playing only one game" isn't a good argument if you ask me. If they play a single game on a competitive level and spend 30+ hrs a week on it, it would make perfectly good sense to spend the money on a good GPU. Especially in comparison to someone who (casually) plays multiple games.

I was working the other direction.
I'm saying don't build to the lowest common denominator.*

I mentioned Fortnite for a good reason, the minimum requirements are a core I3, 4gb ram and Intel Intel integrated graphics. I won't even sell you an office computer with those specs, much less a computer labeled as a gaming system.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline vegs

I was working the other direction.
I'm saying don't build to the lowest common denominator.*

I mentioned Fortnite for a good reason, the minimum requirements are a core I3, 4gb ram and Intel Intel integrated graphics. I won't even sell you an office computer with those specs, much less a computer labeled as a gaming system.
Minimum requirements won't do for someone playing on 144hz or higher :p My comment wasn't directed at you by the way
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 February 2019, 06:13:50 by vegs »
hhkb | hhkb bt | cherry g80-5000 | haus | unikorn se

buy less

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter

oh and i have a decent graphics card and am reading threads like this instead of playing games.  just why

What's happening is, you've become motivationally detuned.

It requires X-amount of effort to feel X-amount of pleasure.

Playing computer game, 3 effort, 5 pleasure

Watching movies, 2 effort, 5 pleasure

Eating chikam nugats,  1 effort, 5 pleasure

Top-Ramen, 1 effort, 6 pleasure

Coffee, 1 effort, 8 pleasure

Alcohol, 1 effort, 8 pleasure

Hard Drugs, 1 effort, 10+ pleasure

If you Do the things on the bottom of the list for long enough in your lifestyle,  Your body will apply a divider to the perceived pleasure of those things.  Making the things further up the list nearly impossible to _Feel Motivated towards accomplishing_

Giving an extreme example, we see meth/heroin/hard drug addicts loaf around and do nothing all day waiting for a hit.

It's not that they don't find video games pleasurable, it's that their drive system perceives REWARD in such a detuned state,  that the RELATIVE motivation to complete any menial daily tasks has become Zero.

Meth mouth is the most obvious, there's NO REASON why a meth addict can't have OK teeth, if he continued to Brush his teeth., However,  that neglect of the day to day comes with the territory, because of that lopsided motivation drain/consumption of the addiction.

That is to say naasfu, (you are currently meth-addict LITE).. Same situation, lighter load.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
Everything can be a need if you have extra money. Everything can be a project if you have spare time. Just look at this MK hobby, anything can be sold, everything can be a valid project. GH is full of people with extra money and spare time.

Offline naasfu

• The Curator
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • CURSE YOU HE-MAN

If you Do the things on the bottom of the list for long enough in your lifestyle,  Your body will apply a divider to the perceived pleasure of those things.  Making the things further up the list nearly impossible to _Feel Motivated towards accomplishing_

Giving an extreme example, we see meth/heroin/hard drug addicts loaf around and do nothing all day waiting for a hit.

It's not that they don't find video games pleasurable, it's that their drive system perceives REWARD in such a detuned state,  that the RELATIVE motivation to complete any menial daily tasks has become Zero.

Meth mouth is the most obvious, there's NO REASON why a meth addict can't have OK teeth, if he continued to Brush his teeth., However,  that neglect of the day to day comes with the territory, because of that lopsided motivation drain/consumption of the addiction.

That is to say naasfu, (you are currently meth-addict LITE).. Same situation, lighter load.

thanks tp.  the moral of this story is to drink and do drugs, but remember to brush your teeth.
a cute stray cat combination that comes out happily when you look at your face is cute

WANTED: gib clacks        post your mspaints!        post your rubber domes!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter

thanks tp.  the moral of this story is to drink and do drugs, but remember to brush your teeth.

There's always hope at the bottom of pandora's jar,  As long as you're aware of the evil within which binds you.

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
Sintpinty the new generation of tp4 :eek:

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN

There is Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs.

And then there is this.

Publish a book already, tp.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline fanpeople

Kids generally have not experienced the opportunity cost between buying the best of something as opposed to being evicted from their residence and living on the street.

Kids brains are also filled with sugar and a form of financial absorption material that leads to them costing a substantial amount of money.

Kids are also grotty, ungrateful and smell funny.

Kids also **** themselves.

Dogs can be toilet trained in a few weeks, kids continue to smear fecal matter throughout your house for years.

Kids also scream when they don't get what they want.

Kids are easily manipulated by advertising, yet cannot be manipulated into not being turds.

In the olden days, you would give a kid a loin cloth, bowl haircut and a stick and send them off into the big bad world. They would return in 18 years and help you swap the engine out in your car.

These days you dress your kid in a Ralph collared shirt, give them a tablet and they code Skynet. But they cant even move your car out of the driveway. Because they don't have the attention span to learn or the coordination to manipulate a clutch with an accelerator.

Kids+money= biological bitconnect.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter

And then there is this.

Maslow's hierarchy of needs is similar to galen's humors.

It's the right idea, but incomplete.

We've already got lots of good info on hedonic systems, most are quite recent since it's only been 15yrs since we've developed operational high res brain scanning devices.

Eat veggies and buy 1080Ti  is the only thing most people need to live a very complete life..

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.

And then there is this.

Maslow's hierarchy of needs is similar to galen's humors.

It's the right idea, but incomplete.

We've already got lots of good info on hedonic systems, most are quite recent since it's only been 15yrs since we've developed operational high res brain scanning devices.

Eat veggies and buy 1080Ti  is the only thing most people need to live a very complete life..

Offline Coreda

Show Image

These RTX raytracing demos are so life-like

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter

Show Image

Oh man, exactly what Tp4 were bout to say.. RTX is the FUTURE.

Offline Maxyol

• “A small rock holds back a great wave”. Homer
one Word: fortnite

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls

Show Image

Oh man, exactly what Tp4 were bout to say.. RTX is the FUTURE.
It's just a phase that nvidia is going through, like a teenager getting becoming obnoxious. :p

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Ray tracing has certainly come a long way from when I used to play around with PovRAY back in the day.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Nerd

• Nerd (Aka Alex) Aka Garbage. Sister: @sintpinty
    • My Youtube channel!

Kids think funny things, but they think it will improve their performance. Because, it does!
"The world's nerdiest nerd that loves Youtube."

Consider subscribing to my channel, TanookiAlex. That would be greatly appreciated, thank you! Link is: Youtube.com/c/tanookialex.

*  Subscriber Goal - 735/1000 *

Offline Nerd

• Nerd (Aka Alex) Aka Garbage. Sister: @sintpinty
    • My Youtube channel!

I never even opened the box, I just got it from hermes and then took it to the water-trade shipping place.

That's a really expensive jacket. It really depends on the girl. Personally, i wouldn't pay that much for a jacket, but she can do what works for her.  :)
"The world's nerdiest nerd that loves Youtube."

Consider subscribing to my channel, TanookiAlex. That would be greatly appreciated, thank you! Link is: Youtube.com/c/tanookialex.

*  Subscriber Goal - 735/1000 *

Offline Stanger

I don't see the parallel between the number of games one plays and what graphics card they need. The question is how demanding the game or games are, no?