Author Topic: Which ADB keyboards?  (Read 4034 times)

Offline Babbylar

Which ADB keyboards?
« on: Thu, 26 August 2010, 02:12:15 »
Just one week after I ranted about expensive iMate ADB to USB converters in another thread, I seemed to have gotten lucky and I was able to purchase one today for 2.13 USD. Now that I have said device, it looks like I'm going down the ADB keyboard route.

I'm curious about the differences between the Apple Extended Keyboard and the Apple Extended Keyboard II and more specifically if there are any differences within the same model. I've seen some AEKII's with a 1995 copyright date on the back and others that don't. I've read about how some have orange alps while others have mitsumis and I am wondering what that is all about.  

The third option seems to be the Macally MK-96 and I would like some input to see if that is worth a shot.

Cheers,

Babbylar
Daily Driver: Leopold FC500R (Cherry Red)
Other Keyboards: Apple Extended Keyboard II (ALPS), Kinesis Contoured Essential (MX Brown), Keytronic LT Designer (Dome)
Previously Owned Keyboards: IBM Model M Spacesaver (BS), Compaq MX 11800 (MX Brown), TECHcessories Dinokidz (ALPS), Apple Aluminium Keyboard (Scissor)
Wishlist: Ducky (MX Black), IBM M13 (BS), Cherry G80-8200 (MX Clear), KBT Pure (MX Blue), Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Stealth Edition (MX Brown)

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Which ADB keyboards?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 26 August 2010, 05:20:25 »
AEK had orange Alps. AEK II mainly had cream Alps, although some had Mitsumis, and some very early ones had the orange Alps too. The AEK is considered to be better built and better to type on than the AEK II.

Offline chimera15

Which ADB keyboards?
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 26 August 2010, 06:23:32 »
m1242's are nice too.  Low profile alps have a relatively nice feel.
Alps boards:
white real complicated: 1x modified siiig minitouch kb1903,  hhkb light2 english steampunk hack, wireless siig minitouch hack
white with rubber damper(cream)+clicky springs: 2x modified siig minitouch kb1903 1x modified siig minitouch kb1948
white fake simplified:   1x white smk-85, 1x Steampunk compact board hack
white real simplified: 1x unitek k-258
low profile: 1x mint m1242 in box
black: ultra mini wrist keyboard hack
blue: Japanese hhk2 lite hack, 1x siig minitouch pcb/doubleshot dc-2014 caps. kb1903, 1x modified kb1948 Siig minitouch
rainbow test boards:  mck-84sx

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Which ADB keyboards?
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 26 August 2010, 06:31:06 »
The split ones? Just about everyone else thinks that they are terrible...

Offline Findecanor

Which ADB keyboards?
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 26 August 2010, 11:45:06 »
The cream ALPS in my AEKII from '89 feel very similar to rubber domes. An AEK or clone would be more interesting, IMHO.

Offline Babbylar

Which ADB keyboards?
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 26 August 2010, 18:16:40 »
So most likely the AEKII will have White Dampened ALPS. The Macally MK-96 will be simplified ALPS and the AEK will be orange ALPS. Good to know.

Now I just have to decide on which one! The iMate I got may have been cheap, but I feel it's the gateway drug to a world of hurt.

Macally MK-96 is around 20 USD after shipping and it's brand new. (though I'm not sold on the layout)
AEKII is around 25 USD online after shipping and is usually well used. (any success stories using Retr0brite on them?)
AEK costs a little more than the AEKII and I don't see them very often.
As for the Apple Adjustable Keyboard (M1242), I remember that being the first keyboard I ever used and it was just strange to me. I don't see them very often either.

decisions... decisions...
Other Keyboards: Apple Extended Keyboard II (ALPS), Kinesis Contoured Essential (MX Brown), Keytronic LT Designer (Dome)
Previously Owned Keyboards: IBM Model M Spacesaver (BS), Compaq MX 11800 (MX Brown), TECHcessories Dinokidz (ALPS), Apple Aluminium Keyboard (Scissor)
Wishlist: Ducky (MX Black), IBM M13 (BS), Cherry G80-8200 (MX Clear), KBT Pure (MX Blue), Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Stealth Edition (MX Brown)

Offline EverythingIBM

Which ADB keyboards?
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 26 August 2010, 18:21:14 »
Most people like the orange ALPs, I'd shoot for one of those.
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

Offline t13

Aek ii
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 26 August 2010, 18:46:51 »
I'm on my second AEKII — the first one lasted 10 years, and then a couple keys quit responding last winter (it may just need a thorough cleaning). The second is one I kept on reserve, and works wonderfully. It has no rubber-dome feel at all, and has that pleasant click to it. While I like the Model M I have in my office at work (I think it's a '91; I also have a '95 that's mushy as can be), I definitely prefer the AEKII.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Which ADB keyboards?
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 26 August 2010, 19:32:57 »
First time I typed on an AEK II, I thought it was a rubber dome keyboard too...

The Cream Alps aren't clicky in the proper sense of clicky. They're sort of like Black Alps, except they're quieter and don't bottom out as hard. For most people, they wouldn't compare well with a Model M. YMMV...

Offline D-EJ915

Which ADB keyboards?
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 26 August 2010, 20:09:13 »
The AEK is nice but be aware you can't that adjust the height of it at all.

Offline Babbylar

Got some keyboards today!
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 27 August 2010, 03:32:10 »
I got lucky again and was able to get 2 Apple Extended Keyboard II's for 2 USD.

Here is the first one:

1995 copyright, it is fairly clean, all the keys work, and most importantly it's not yellow.

Here is the second one:

1990 copyright, this one is quite dirty, quite yellow and is missing the screw on the back.
Despite this, I think it feels slightly better than the clean beige one I have. I think its the same switch, but the yellow one sounds more clicky while the beige one sounds more springy.

Offline spolia optima

Which ADB keyboards?
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 27 August 2010, 04:15:49 »
I know of the M0115 in Orange, White, and Pink ALPS flavors. The M3501 I've seen with mostly Cream and some White ALPS.  I love the M3501 and consider it one of the best ALPS 'boards, up there with Leading Edge and Northgate. And because of the ADB connectivity, you can get them at a hell of a steal, too.
keyboards!

Offline Babbylar

Which ADB keyboards?
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 27 August 2010, 06:09:13 »
The yellowed keyboard I got definitely sounds clicky. I opened it up and it was just covered in dust. After cleaning it further, it sounds even more clicky. the switches themselves look like an off white. (maybe because of sun exposure?) Another difference I noticed is that the yellowed one is slightly heavier.  The beige one was actually very clean on the inside as well. It doesn't sound clicky, and the switches are very white. I can hear the springs doing their work much better. It is slightly lighter as well.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Which ADB keyboards?
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 27 August 2010, 06:16:42 »
look like an off white.

Thus why they are called Cream. Some people insist on calling them White, but it just causes no end of confusion...

Offline nraymond

Which ADB keyboards?
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 27 August 2010, 17:33:00 »
Quote from: Babbylar;217046
decisions... decisions...

How about this:

http://www.datadesktech.com/desktop_mac101e.html

I don't have one now, but I have very fond memories of it...

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
Which ADB keyboards?
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 11 October 2010, 02:44:24 »
Quote from: ripster;217273
IWhite Dampened Complicated ALPS

So by aquiring an AEKII, I've brought white dampened complicated ALPS back into my home? Aaargh. I was sooooo pleased to be ALPS-less after finally ridding myself of my Northgate.
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.