Author Topic: EnduraPro question  (Read 5649 times)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
EnduraPro question
« on: Sun, 18 May 2008, 03:29:20 »
Would someone post a pic of the side view of a Model M and an EnduraPro so I can get a height comparison?

Does the EnduraPro feel like a Model M (Not the switches, the keyboard itself) or does it feel smaller? I want to know if the EnduraPro has the authoritative feeling of the M.

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
EnduraPro question
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 18 May 2008, 06:29:53 »
[Click on photos for larger view]

Offline bigpook

EnduraPro question
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 18 May 2008, 06:53:53 »
They look the same to me. At least with respect to the angle of the keys.
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
EnduraPro question
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 18 May 2008, 11:38:13 »
Thanks iMav, you gave me the exact shot wanted.

I pulled out the M the other night and I've been enjoying it because of the size and the way it fits in my keyboard tray. So the EnduraPro is a bigger keyboard afterall ...

Offline iMav

EnduraPro question
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 18 May 2008, 14:25:35 »
Quote from: xsphat;4732
Thanks iMav, you gave me the exact shot wanted.

I pulled out the M the other night and I've been enjoying it because of the size and the way it fits in my keyboard tray. So the EnduraPro is a bigger keyboard afterall ...

It is still Unicomp's "spacesaver'.  But that is, primarily, due to the width of the 'board.  Here are some comparisons with the 84-key spacesaver:

As you can image, the full, original Model M is quite a bit wider.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
EnduraPro question
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 18 May 2008, 15:08:22 »
Thanks iMav, you answered my questions again! I'm gonna give my M another chance because I like it where it is and it does feel good, though I know that a brand new keyboard would feel better.

I kind of wish they still made new old school Model Ms with the track point.

Offline iMav

EnduraPro question
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 18 May 2008, 17:22:39 »
Quote from: xsphat
I kind of wish they still made new old school Model Ms with the track point.
Just get an Endurapro.  It's a Model M through and through.  I recently bought two spacesavers (trackpoint-less Endurapro's) for a couple of friends of mine and they are deliriously happy with them.

Offline Waves77

EnduraPro question
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 18 May 2008, 19:06:36 »
Quote from: iMav;4738
Just get an Endurapro.  It's a Model M through and through..

Are you comparing this to a 1391401 model M? Somehow I read different opinions regarding how the Endurapro's compare, and I wonder what model M people are comparing it to exactly...

For example even my industrial 1394946 feels different to my 1391401 (not by much, but enough to be noticeable).
Current collection:
\'91 Model M (1391401), \'93 1391401, \'91 Model M (industrial 1394946), Dell AT101W, Apple Extended II (M3501), Cherry G84-4100, Filco FKB 104M/EB, Macally 96, Das III Pro, HHKB Pro 2.

Offline iMav

EnduraPro question
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 18 May 2008, 19:38:04 »
Quote from: Waves77;4739
Are you comparing this to a 1391401 model M?

No.  I am saying the Endurapro IS a Model M.  :) (see upper right "Model M" identification)

Seriously.  Same metal backplate, same buckling springs, same company (at least the company that made the last several models for IBM).

What Unicomp produces are the modern-day Model M keyboards. I think they feel great and are worthy of the Model M designation.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
EnduraPro question
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 19 May 2008, 12:25:24 »
The only buckling springs I've ever typed on are in the 1391401 I was given, so I guess I really don't know what to expect from the Unicomp keyboard since mine was most likely manufactured by Leximark.

I have no doubt that the EnduraPro is the modern Model M, so I am really interested in trying a brand new one out.

Hey iMav, how do I get to be such a good pal of yours that you buy me keyboards?

Offline iMav

EnduraPro question
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 19 May 2008, 12:31:39 »
Quote from: xsphat
Hey iMav, how do I get to be such a good pal of yours that you buy me keyboards?

Considering you are one of only two people that have ever received keyboards on behalf of geekhack, I find that question rather funny.  :)

Offline ashort

• Hoosier Daddy
    • http://andrew.wingedwheel.net
EnduraPro question
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 19 May 2008, 12:32:02 »
Quote from: xsphat;4763

What a great way to boost geekhack membership.  "Fill out this form and iMav will buy you a very noisy keyboard!"

:-D
Andrew
{ KBC Poker - brown | Filco Majestouch - brown | Dell AT101W | Cherry G84-4100 }

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
EnduraPro question
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 19 May 2008, 12:38:43 »
Funny, da bof a yus.

Offline bigpook

EnduraPro question
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 19 May 2008, 13:10:57 »
xsphat

I have a 1987 1391401 and a unicomp linux board and they feel the same to me. My model m spacesaver however has a different feel. Its hard to describe but I would say my unicomp board is tighter versus the spacesaver. The spacesaver is dated at 1987, and I don't know what kind of life it had before I got it. It has a hollower click to it compared to the unicomp board. But the action is the same.
Not that it is undesireable, after a few minutes of typing I settle right in.

I would certainly reccommend a unicomp board, If its a modern/new model m that you are looking for then I do not think you will be disappointed.

Offline Eclairz

EnduraPro question
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 19 May 2008, 13:30:20 »
no wonder xsphat has more posts than imav
Lenovo ThinkPad TrackPoint Keyboard
RealForce 45g UK 88UB
FILCO Majestouch TenKeyPad

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
EnduraPro question
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 19 May 2008, 13:37:35 »
Thanks, Pook. I am buying a new keyboard with my stimulus check, so I'm looking hard into them. Plus I have a novel I'm writing this summer and something about writing on the M feels right, even though the Alps whites are louder and more crisp than my 1988 1391401.

Offline bigpook

EnduraPro question
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 20 May 2008, 14:15:58 »
Cool, let us know how it goes when you get it.

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
EnduraPro question
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 04 June 2008, 16:51:37 »
I know the thread's a bit old, but I'll go ahead and say my comments.

I find that the EnduraPro has a different sound to it, and the keys are MUCH lighter. Quality is, IMO, a bit lower... but after getting acclimated to it, I now prefer typing on the Unicomp board, to my 1993 genuine IBM Model M, and that's the best quality keyboard I own.

Offline bigpook

EnduraPro question
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 04 June 2008, 17:24:25 »
I am thinking that the model m's have a different feel that is dependent on age and use. I have  a model m space saver that has a light feel on the keys compared to my unicomp model m clone. Regrettably, I prefer the unicomp, its newer but more importantly for me, has a better feel. Its a pleasure for me to type on it.

I just ordered another unicomp keyboard, this time around it will be the spacesaver with black keys and a linux layout. I will let you all know how that turns out. I am also waiting on another model m spacesaver that I got off of e-bay. I am hoping that it has a better feel than the one I have now.