Author Topic: Which is more tactile: Unmodded Cherry Clears, or 55g Topre  (Read 3532 times)

Offline macguy80

Which is more tactile: Unmodded Cherry Clears, or 55g Topre
« on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 13:14:12 »
After spending an hour with cherry mx blacks, I realized they are definitely not for me. Worst accuracy ever. Never knew just how much I depended on tactility.

So... I am looking at either Cherry Clears (which I don't think I would have an opportunity to try locally)

or

55g Topre (I know what to expect with 45g Topre, but...EK does have a warning:

"55gram weighted switches are very stiff and snappy. We do not recommend this keyboard to people with arthritis, RSI, or any state of health or physical inability that would prevent them from using, or building the strength to use, these heavy switches!"

Note that I do not have any RSI or other condition named above, to the best of my knowledge.

The reason I ask is this: Cherry blues (whose high-pitched click I can't stand), supposedly have 50g weighting, yet my Topre 45g feels heavier.

So I would think clears (65g) are heavier than blacks (60g), but where does a 55g Topre fit in?

Incidentally, my Matias Quiet Pro is also 60g, and I almost always bottom out, but cherry blacks felt MUCH heavier (and tiring) despite a similar rating.

Clears, unlike blacks, are tactile, but would I be asking for trouble (moreso than blacks) in terms of getting tired, compared to 55g Topre?

Thanks!

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
Re: Which is more tactile: Unmodded Cherry Clears, or 55g Topre
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 13:17:58 »
Just a question: Why do you not like about your Mathias or 45g Topre so much that you want a 55g Topre or Clear?

As for Clear, I never tried them myself but most people compare them to black, probably a little more tiring even but probably not by much. Most people using clear modify them with less strong spring.

If it was not for the sound, I would recommend you the model F since it's a SUPER tactile switch while being quite light and smooth, but it has a wonderful click sound!
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 13:18:06 »
I would say the stock mx clears would be more tactile.

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 13:19:43 »
Doesn't exactly answer your question but..

62g clears is more tactile than 45g topre

lol.

62g ergo clears are amazing!

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 13:22:17 »
I have trouble comparing MX to Topre because they feel so vastly different. In terms of pure tactility, I'd probably consider clears to be greater. It's been a while since I've gotten to type on clears though.

I found stock clears to be a bit tiring, but I don't have any problem typing on 55g Topre all day. 62g ergo clears were really nice, but sluggish on the upstroke. I think that lubed 62g or 65g ergo clears would probably be the ultimate tactile switch.

Offline macguy80

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 13:31:28 »
Just a question: Why do you not like about your Mathias or 45g Topre so much that you want a 55g Topre or Clear?

As for Clear, I never tried them myself but most people compare them to black, probably a little more tiring even but probably not by much. Most people using clear modify them with less strong spring.

If it was not for the sound, I would recommend you the model F since it's a SUPER tactile switch while being quite light and smooth, but it has a wonderful click sound!

I love my Matias board, but I want a TKL, and I don't believe in having two boards with the exact same switch!

My 45g Topre is too light, and my accuracy suffers, though not as badly, as I recently discovered, as on Cherry blacks. Therefore, I am betting the best compromise will be a heavier, tactile switch, though I am not masochistic enough to consider greens, and I'm not sure their click is different enough from blues that they greens wouldn't drive me crazy.

Note that I am not against all clicks, and I must agree with you completely on Model F's, but they're a little difficult to use on a modern Mac ;) I do love that click. It's just the blues and possibly greens that drive me nuts.

I definitely don't want to get tired, so it sounds like 55g Topre is the way to go for now, and save clears for later? I'm physically not in a position to lube my board OR replace its springs.

Thanks

Offline Justintoxicated

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 13:37:06 »
I have never used clears but I don't consider topre tactical.

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 13:39:41 »

I love my Matias board, but I want a TKL, and I don't believe in having two boards with the exact same switch!

My 45g Topre is too light, and my accuracy suffers, though not as badly, as I recently discovered, as on Cherry blacks. Therefore, I am betting the best compromise will be a heavier, tactile switch, though I am not masochistic enough to consider greens, and I'm not sure their click is different enough from blues that they greens wouldn't drive me crazy.

Note that I am not against all clicks, and I must agree with you completely on Model F's, but they're a little difficult to use on a modern Mac ;) I do love that click. It's just the blues and possibly greens that drive me nuts.

I definitely don't want to get tired, so it sounds like 55g Topre is the way to go for now, and save clears for later? I'm physically not in a position to lube my board OR replace its springs.

Thanks

I am pretty sure that the model F works super well on a Mac as long as you have a Soarer converter! But I could be wrong.
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline macguy80

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 14:04:28 »
I am pretty sure that the model F works super well on a Mac as long as you have a Soarer converter! But I could be wrong.

That would be a dream, but I lack the dexterity to do that kind of DIY project :)

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 16:46:06 »
I have only a nonuniformly weighted Topre and I'm not sure which ones are 55g. Harder Topre keys are more tactile than lighter keys. MX Clears are definitely more tactile than any Topre due to the bump being shorter.

Offline macguy80

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 16:52:23 »
On the variable Topres, I'm pretty sure that only the Esc key is 55g. The others are 30 or 45.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 17:42:10 »
I think it's more important that Topre would be smoother out of the box, but with harder landing.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 17:57:31 »
On the variable Topres, I'm pretty sure that only the Esc key is 55g. The others are 30 or 45.
I've heard that there might be different versions of the variable ones. Anyway, MX Clear is more tactile than the Esc.

Offline Beca

• what am i doing with my life
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 18:04:40 »
i feel more tactility from my 45g topres compared to when i had stock clears and 62g lubed clears.

Offline macguy80

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 22:25:46 »
Thank you all for the feedback on tactility. Much appreciated!

If we look solely at fatigue from extended typing sessions, does 55g Topre beat stock clears? Is there a consensus? Which of those two is less likely to cause me pain at the end of the day?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 22:59:06 »
Thank you all for the feedback on tactility. Much appreciated!

If we look solely at fatigue from extended typing sessions, does 55g Topre beat stock clears? Is there a consensus? Which of those two is less likely to cause me pain at the end of the day?

The trick with stock clears is you learn to type without bottoming out so their isn't any fatigue, I also think keycaps can play a role in this also. I have been using stock clears 5-6 days a week (8+hrs a day) for a little over a year now with no fatigue issues.

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 23:40:36 »
I have no proof of this beyond my own subjectivity but one of the things that I notice about Cherry MX and Topre is that MX switches get less tactile the greater the force and typing speed whereas in my experience the faster and more forceful I am on my Realforce the more tactility I feel. That's actually about the only aspect of the Topre experience (beyond the serene sound) that I really enjoy. MX Switches may as well be linear for me at 90+ wpm for all the tactility I feel but with the Topre I can fly and every key has the same little pop feel to it. Sadly, the bottom out experience on Topre leaves me with sore fingers and wrists after just a short time so I stick with other switch styles.

Offline Magna224

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 11:20:22 »
MX Clears feel more sharp but overall I'd say the Topre are more tactile.
If you live in AZ you can try my keyboards. I usually keep plenty of different ALPS and MX and buckling springs.