Author Topic: Opinions on linear switches  (Read 13683 times)

Offline ANightOnCloudNine

Opinions on linear switches
« on: Mon, 29 February 2016, 22:29:04 »
Got my first mech a few days ago and I decided on a linear in the store cause I got to try a bunch of different switches and I don't like blues or Browns as much as blacks or reds, I settled on reds cause the only keyboard with blacks was not on sale and was on for show, otherwise I would have chose blacks, what are your guys' opinions on linears? Also if anyone could hook me up of some names of keyboards that offer black switches that'd be cool.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
Re: Opinions on linear switches
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 29 February 2016, 23:15:11 »
I like them a lot for gaming, I always felt the tactile bump of MX Blues or Browns sort of felt "slow" when I was gaming.

For typing, I don't like them as much, there's no feedback at all and it makes me feel like I'm typing slower. Heavy linear switches especially, lighter ones are better but I find myself making mistakes more often.

This is why I have my FK-2001 with clicky ALPS on my keyboard tray, for typing for extended periods (like this post) and have my Keycool 87 with Kailh Reds above it for gaming or typing out quick messages.

As for recommendations, Keycool makes some pretty solid boards in a variety of switch types. Their quirk is that many of them come with a set of decent PBT keycaps instead of the usual ABS, all while not breaking the bank.

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 29 February 2016, 23:25:35 »
I like them a lot for gaming, I always felt the tactile bump of MX Blues or Browns sort of felt "slow" when I was gaming.

For typing, I don't like them as much, there's no feedback at all and it makes me feel like I'm typing slower. Heavy linear switches especially, lighter ones are better but I find myself making mistakes more often.

This is why I have my FK-2001 with clicky ALPS on my keyboard tray, for typing for extended periods (like this post) and have my Keycool 87 with Kailh Reds above it for gaming or typing out quick messages.

As for recommendations, Keycool makes some pretty solid boards in a variety of switch types. Their quirk is that many of them come with a set of decent PBT keycaps instead of the usual ABS, all while not breaking the bank.
I'll take a peek at them, thanks

Offline spanyam

• Enjoy the gift of life!
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 29 February 2016, 23:35:21 »
I use a KBP V60 with Matias Linear ALPS, and it's by far the smoothest and quietest switch I have ever typed on. I also love the feel of the dampened switches when you bottom out.
SKCM Orange ALPS on Infinity 60% bent-metal case w/ hasu ALPS64 PCB and PBT blank DSA caps | KBP V60 w/ Matias Quiet Linears | IBM Model M | QFR w/ MX Blues

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 29 February 2016, 23:38:04 »
My daily driver is a KMAC with 62g black switches. Slightly heavier than stock reds, still lighter than stock blacks. The feel is so good.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 01:49:28 »
My opinion: They're not tactile or clicky.  :?)

Actually, there's no way anyone can recommend what kind of switches are best for you. Everyone has different typing styles and preferences. You have to try them—and I don't mean in one of those inane one-finger "testers", but in a real board connected to a real computer.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 01:55:56 »
My opinion: They're not tactile or clicky.  :?)

Actually, there's no way anyone can recommend what kind of switches are best for you. Everyone has different typing styles and preferences. You have to try them—and I don't mean in one of those inane one-finger "testers", but in a real board connected to a real computer.
I don't need switches recommend tho, just keyboards with mx blacks being offered

Offline raymogi

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 01:56:26 »
MX blacks is also known as the ButterySmooth switch. Can't go wrong with that.

It's the only MX switch I enjoy typing on beside my Topre now.
Please feed my addiction.

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 02:06:53 »

It's the only MX switch I enjoy typing on beside my Topre now.
I only felt real mx switches in these past few days and I have to say blacks are my favourite mx switch, I settled for reds cause I couldn't get the blacks, blacks will be mine though, same with topre in realforce form

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 02:23:24 »
My first board was my Ducky with reds, I hated them with a passion and eventually got round to replacing the alphas with clears - a big improvement, but still not ideal.  My most recent build is linear and currently has 120g springs in the middle section, 100g in ring finger switches, and black springs in pinky ones and I'm loving it for forum use, just hoping I won't get finger ache when I type something big.

The floaty lack of bottom out is the feeling I've been looking for, but I'm yet to try it with tactiles to see if that's even better.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 02:25:43 »
My first board was my Ducky with reds, I hated them with a passion and eventually got round to replacing the alphas with clears - a big improvement, but still not ideal.  My most recent build is linear and currently has 120g springs in the middle section, 100g in ring finger switches, and black springs in pinky ones and I'm loving it for forum use, just hoping I won't get finger ache when I type something big.

The floaty lack of bottom out is the feeling I've been looking for, but I'm yet to try it with tactiles to see if that's even better.
That sounds awesome

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 02:26:10 »
You've got to be ****ing kidding me xD . They're one of the worst and scratchiest linear switches out there xD .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 02:28:48 »
You've got to be ****ing kidding me xD . They're one of the worst and scratchiest linear switches out there xD .
Didnt feel scratchy to me but mx browns and blues def are scratchy to me

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 02:32:30 »
Have you tried any switches that aren't made by Cherry? ;)

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 02:36:53 »
no because they're more expensive and rarer than cherry, I don't wanna spend time looking for a good deal on alps yet, I'm getting the glorified rubber dome switch though

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 03:07:50 »
no because they're more expensive and rarer than cherry, I don't wanna spend time looking for a good deal on alps yet, I'm getting the glorified rubber dome switch though
Well that explains it :P . If you don't know the alternatives, how can you put a quality stamp on something? XD

See many people nowadays seem to think Cherry is the only one making mechanical keyboards or that they were first or that they invented it somehow. Yet the truth is everything Cherry ever did had been done already by someone else before, and most of them did it better :P .

Also, don't delude yourself, older keyboards with other switches aren't rare nor are they inherently expensive. In fact older keyboards are WAY cheaper than modern Cherry boards.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 03:11:54 »
New ones maybe...
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 03:14:15 »

gateron ;)
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 03:38:40 »
If you want Gateron Blacks (which are intermediate between Cherry Reds and Blacks) PM me, I know a chinese store with good prices.
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 04:21:31 »
Isn't gateron a knockoff cherry brand or am I misled?

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 04:22:06 »
A clone, and they're doing a good job.
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 04:23:41 »
A clone, and they're doing a good job.
well then hmu with that link

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 04:23:58 »
a really good cherry knockoff I hear  :cool:

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 06:05:12 »
I love the bump of MX browns, the bump on a zealio switch. When I tried a 67g linear zealio a couple of months ago, I really liked it. Gateron blacks in the mail so I'm waiting to see how these feel.

Offline jaffers

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 06:26:59 »
G A T  B L A C K S
A
T    L
        U
B        B
L          E
A           D
C
K
S

:thumb:

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 09:25:07 »
Honestly, even Greetech is better than new Cherry
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 09:30:19 »
Definitely agree with what chyros and hwood34 is saying. MX Blacks are at like the bottom of the heap in my opinion. To me the king of all linear switches is Hall Effect. Followed by SKCL Green Alps.

And before someone says it, I think Gateron Blacks are as good as Nixdorf Blacks at a better price and more accessible.

Edit: Corrected the Green Alps thing because Alps so hard to keep track :(
« Last Edit: Tue, 01 March 2016, 09:36:06 by CPTBadAss »

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 09:33:59 »
Definitely agree with what chyros and hwood34 is saying. MX Blacks are at like the bottom of the heap in my opinion. To me the king of all linear switches is Hall Effect. Followed by SKCM Green Alps.

And before someone says it, I think Gateron Blacks are as good as Nixdorf Blacks at a better price and more accessible.
Its SKCL green alps sir  :thumb:

Offline Dernubenfrieken

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 09:35:00 »
Definitely agree with what chyros and hwood34 is saying. MX Blacks are at like the bottom of the heap in my opinion. To me the king of all linear switches is Hall Effect. Followed by SKCM Green Alps.

SKCC Green alps> SKCL  :p

Offline Vittra

• Airflow Optimizer
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 10:54:23 »
My daily driver is a KMAC with 62g black switches. Slightly heavier than stock reds, still lighter than stock blacks. The feel is so good.

I've been contemplating de-soldering my reds on my Filco to put in 62G or 65G springs to see how it is by comparison. They've now seen 4 1/2 years of use, I'd hate to see them go to waste at this point by getting Gaterons.

I'd love to get my hands on a green alps or hall effect board as some of you are touting, but I don't see that happening ever :p
Filco MJ Linear R LE TKL

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 11:22:02 »

This is why we need to rename SKCM Green to SKCM Neon Green :P .

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 21:07:02 »
New ones maybe...
I have to agree, I have a set of MX Blues from a BlackWidow I used for nearly three years every day, I don't think it's possible for there to be a smoother switch.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 21:34:43 »
My opinion: [Linear switches are] not tactile or clicky.  :?)

Actually, there's no way anyone can recommend what kind of switches are best for you...

I don't need switches recommend tho, just keyboards with mx blacks being offered

My first line's a joke based on your thread's Subject. It's like the guy whose doctor tells him he has a certain medical condition, and the guy says, "Well, I want a second opinion," and the doctor replies, "Okay, you're ugly, too."

Re the rest, "Opinions on linear switches" doesn't seem like a topic someone would start who'd already decided what kind of linear switches they wanted. You did eventually ask about boards with MX Blacks at the end of your OP—but you did it in such roundabout way, I couldn't assume that was the only thing you were interested in:

Got my first mech a few days ago and I decided on a linear in the store cause I got to try a bunch of different switches and I don't like blues or Browns as much as blacks or reds, I settled on reds cause the only keyboard with blacks was not on sale and was on for show, otherwise I would have chose blacks, what are your guys' opinions on linears? Also if anyone could hook me up of some names of keyboards that offer black switches that'd be cool.

[My emphasis]

This may all seem immensely trivial, and it probably is, but I'd like to thank you for giving me something to do here in the suburbs for a couple more minutes.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline grav3serker

• graves + berserker = grav3serker
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 21:56:35 »
I just got my first board with Gateron Yellows. All of my previous boards have had tactile switches, and I'm really digging them. I wasn't sure if I would like them, but I'm pleasantly surprised!

Look for a board with Gateron Blacks or Gateron Yellows :thumb:

Do you want a 60%, TKL, or Full Size?

« Reply #34 on: Wed, 02 March 2016, 00:01:55 »
I just got my first board with Gateron Yellows. All of my previous boards have had tactile switches, and I'm really digging them. I wasn't sure if I would like them, but I'm pleasantly surprised!

Look for a board with Gateron Blacks or Gateron Yellows :thumb:

Do you want a 60%, TKL, or Full Size?
tkl

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 15 March 2016, 04:36:27 »
Kind of dead post but my gateron blacks I mentioned before feel bloody amazing - can't imagine what lubing would do.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #36 on: Tue, 15 March 2016, 04:45:12 »
I gotta agree with what Chryos said. older vintage boards are wonderful deals. A functional but dusty Model M can sell at Ebay for $60 on a good day, and you get a board that's probably built better and more reliable than many high end modern keyboards (sans the damned rivets!)

Also ALPS are really fun and easier to tinker with than Cherries, and they sound way nicer, although I have a soft spot for my MX Blues  :-[

Offline Lurch

• The only good system is a sound system.
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 15 March 2016, 04:46:51 »
65g linear is ok
Quote from: Flyersfan1
im so glad you've stopped flipping the spacebar

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #38 on: Tue, 15 March 2016, 04:48:05 »
I gotta agree with what Chryos said. older vintage boards are wonderful deals. A functional but dusty Model M can sell at Ebay for $60 on a good day, and you get a board that's probably built better and more reliable than many high end modern keyboards (sans the damned rivets!)

Also ALPS are really fun and easier to tinker with than Cherries, and they sound way nicer, although I have a soft spot for my MX Blues  :-[

Buckling springs are hardly linear :p
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #39 on: Tue, 15 March 2016, 05:08:35 »

Buckling springs are hardly linear :p
just meant vintage boards in general

buckling springs are only surpassed by mx blacks in terms of linear switches, just saying.

Offline Crossfire

« Reply #40 on: Tue, 15 March 2016, 08:06:34 »
I have some vintage mx blacks...any recommendations for the springs? Some say 62g gold are the real deal, some even put the 55g's in...maybe 65g? Heck, I might even leave them be with the stock springs :)
Any experiences?

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #41 on: Tue, 15 March 2016, 09:06:31 »
I have some vintage mx blacks...any recommendations for the springs? Some say 62g gold are the real deal, some even put the 55g's in...maybe 65g? Heck, I might even leave them be with the stock springs :)
Any experiences?
55g or gtfo

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #42 on: Tue, 15 March 2016, 10:27:26 »
Any experiences?
In my experience, 50-55 gf is the perfect weighting for linear switches.

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #43 on: Tue, 15 March 2016, 10:33:32 »
I like extremely light keys, whether they be linear or tactile.

I like browns, but I dislike blues.

I like reds, but I dislike blacks.

I like beam spring, but I dislike buckling spring.

My daily driver uses lubed Cherry MX browns with lighter than stock springs arranged in a variable fashion like the Topre variable weight keyboards. I'm quite into speed typing and without a doubt I type faster on these with the lesser force required. They have just a little bit of tactility.
Layout: Colemak
Fastest typing speed: 131 WPM on typeracer, 136 WPM on 10fastfingers.
Daily driver: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown with ergonomically weighted, lubed springs.
Ergo keyboards: Truly Ergonomic, Kinesis Advantage, Ergodox

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

• LiquidEvilGaming Youtube
« Reply #44 on: Tue, 15 March 2016, 10:34:28 »
Reds are just too soft and easy to accidentally press for myself for typing gaming or otherwise.  I could see MX Blacks for a pure gaming usage but for long periods of typing would be uncomfortable IMO.  Plus for typing i really need some sort of tactile feedback.   So all in all i'm not a huge fan of linear personally speaking.
Current Daily Driver/s
White Leopold 750R MX Reds
Head of LiquidEvilGaming on Youtube
i7 4790k/16GB DDR3/GTX 1060 6GB SSC/256GB Samsung SSD/2TB SSHD/W10

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #45 on: Tue, 15 March 2016, 10:36:54 »
Reds are just too soft and easy to accidentally press for myself for typing gaming or otherwise.  I could see MX Blacks for a pure gaming usage but for long periods of typing would be uncomfortable IMO.  Plus for typing i really need some sort of tactile feedback.   So all in all i'm not a huge fan of linear personally speaking.

The first keyboard I got was a K70 with Reds. The linear switches felt horrible for me. When I first heard of mechanical keyboards I associated them with "clicky" switches, so this may have affected my opinion.

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

« Reply #46 on: Tue, 15 March 2016, 10:38:21 »

The first keyboard I got was a K70 with Reds. The linear switches felt horrible for me. When I first heard of mechanical keyboards I associated them with "clicky" switches, so this may have affected my opinion.

While not necessarily needing clicky i also have definitely always associated mechanical keyboards to have some sort of tactility and it may have also early on affected my opinion.
Current Daily Driver/s

Offline Vittra

• Airflow Optimizer
« Reply #47 on: Tue, 15 March 2016, 10:45:28 »
Any experiences?
55g or gtfo

Any experiences?
In my experience, 50-55 gf is the perfect weighting for linear switches.

Would this not be lighter than MX Red, which bottoms out at 60G?
Filco MJ Linear R LE TKL

Offline Crossfire

« Reply #48 on: Tue, 15 March 2016, 10:55:01 »
Wow, 55g...that's a soft touch :) even the vintage blacks with stock spring feel quite light to me...i'll try 65g which I have at hand and report...

Offline G-Dubs

« Reply #49 on: Tue, 15 March 2016, 11:00:22 »
I thought reds were amazing, but later got Gateron blacks and prefer the stronger actuation force. Matias linears are definitely on the lighter side, but I like their feeling vs. a lighter Cherry.

I'm hoping to get try out Gateron yellows in the next few months. I'm really curious what the difference between yellow and black are, since the specs appear to be identical.
KUL ES-87 MX Red || KBP V60 Matias Linear || KBP V60 Matias Quiet Click || Varmilo VA87MR Gateron Black || Leopold FC210P MX Black

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 15 March 2016, 11:37:56 »
You should try Fujitsu magnetic reed, 35 gf XD .

« Reply #51 on: Tue, 15 March 2016, 15:14:54 »

I like browns, but I dislike blues.

I like reds, but I dislike blacks.

I like beam spring, but I dislike buckling spring.

My daily driver uses lubed Cherry MX browns with lighter than stock springs arranged in a variable fashion like the Topre variable weight keyboards. I'm quite into speed typing and without a doubt I type faster on these with the lesser force required. They have just a little bit of tactility.
I like blacks the most out of the common cherry switches I tried, when I tried blues I wanted a more definitive bump feel but neither blue or brown felt bumpy enough and browns kinda felt sandy when the bump happened IMO so I wanted blacks the most

Offline Crossfire

« Reply #52 on: Tue, 15 March 2016, 17:17:23 »
After trying 65g gold spring in my lubed vintage black against stock lubed vintage black I came to the next conclusion - I need 62g and maybe even 55g to try them feels. I mean stock springs are quite harder than the korean 65g and the softer feel is really pleasing. Little do I know where to get those nasty 55g's...

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #53 on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 05:00:40 »
Reading through this thread made me realize I really want to try Gateron Blacks. Well, I know what'll I be using for my next build. 
Keyboard design by Skepur

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

« Reply #54 on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 11:22:59 »
Reading through this thread made me realize I really want to try Gateron Blacks. Well, I know what'll I be using for my next build.
Same

Offline axtran

« Reply #55 on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 11:39:25 »
I bought a ton of 55g SPRiT springs from mechanicalkeyboards.com -- they seem to be my absolute favorite for linear switches. That being said... anything Gateron Linear is epic, including the beautiful Linear Zealio switches (which I convert to 55g!).

If you're a Cherry fan, hunt for Vintage Black switches, else modern switches are horridly scratchy.
MX Silent > MX Vintage Black > Everything Else

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #56 on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 12:33:22 »
I bought a ton of 55g SPRiT springs from mechanicalkeyboards.com -- they seem to be my absolute favorite for linear switches. That being said... anything Gateron Linear is epic, including the beautiful Linear Zealio switches (which I convert to 55g!).

If you're a Cherry fan, hunt for Vintage Black switches, else modern switches are horridly scratchy.
I only have one board and it's with Gateron Browns. Haven't even had a change to try Cherry MX. But again, Gateron for the win!
Keyboard design by Skepur

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

« Reply #57 on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 14:47:49 »
I thought reds were amazing, but later got Gateron blacks and prefer the stronger actuation force. Matias linears are definitely on the lighter side, but I like their feeling vs. a lighter Cherry.

I'm hoping to get try out Gateron yellows in the next few months. I'm really curious what the difference between yellow and black are, since the specs appear to be identical.

As someone who has been a long time Cherry fan until converting to Topre it's hard to deny how much smoother Gaterons really are in every color i have thus tried.  Really makes you realize how over Rated Cherry switches can be sometimes.
Current Daily Driver/s

Offline Rad

« Reply #58 on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 15:24:57 »
They're pretty cool.

Offline axtran

« Reply #59 on: Sun, 20 March 2016, 09:22:56 »
I've been using Krytox 105 during my spring swapping, with DuPont Teflon Silicone Lubricant as the spring oil. It is a feeling just blissful on the fingers :)
MX Silent > MX Vintage Black > Everything Else