Author Topic: Which is better (for carpal tunnel)?  (Read 9295 times)

Offline DreymaR

• Colemak forum guy
    • DreymaR's Big Bag of Kbd Tricks
Which is better (for carpal tunnel)?
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 15 January 2010, 01:46:54 »
From what I've heard, chiropractism isn't truly research-based the way proper medicine should be. Same goes for most of the 'eat/drink this' advice you'll get. Which means that it may work, it may not. Only fairly certain thing is that it'll cost you.  :)

All medicine should be properly researched. You wouldn't want to drive around in traffic in a car that hasn't been properly researched but just slapped together by some enthusiast who never learnt to distinguish truth from hearsay, would you? (Not talking about modding a chopper now, obviously.) Well, maybe you would. But I wouldn't!
Better burden you cannot carry than man-wisdom much ~ Hávamál

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #51 on: Fri, 15 January 2010, 02:18:31 »
Quote from: DreymaR;151043
From what I've heard, chiropractism isn't truly research-based the way proper medicine should be.

I'm no expert on chiropractics, but I'd be stunned if that was true. Just about all common medical practices in the Western world are backed by modern models of research... now whether one agrees with the conclusions of that research is a whole other story of its own.

Research, even in well accepted medical practices isn't lacking in controversy. You might be surprised to learn that in much of the history of physical therapy and exercise science research that people have had sharp disagreements in how to do stretching exercises effectively.

If for nothing else, chiropractors have a lot in common with physical therapists who favor manual therapies. The stereotype is that physical therapists will always give you exercises and the chiropractor will always crack your joints. That's not necessarily true. Some of the more recent graduates from chiropractor schools are much more enlightened to the benefits of using exercise as part of their treatment regimens and there has long been an arm of physical therapy practice that believes in joint manupulation.

Under the care of your average physio, if you hurt your back in the 70's, you were likely to get one set of exercises, and if you hurt it in the 80's, you may have gotten a completely contradictory set of exercises and then a combination of them in the 90's and 00's. Even more perplexing, in some more recent research, there are suggestions that every form of back therapy from stretching to spinal surgery has questionable results.
« Last Edit: Fri, 15 January 2010, 02:21:59 by hyperlinked »
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #52 on: Fri, 15 January 2010, 05:04:17 »
If you compare people who:
  • Stretch before exercise;
  • Stretch after exercise;
  • Stretch before and after exercise;
  • Don't stretch at all;

the people who stretch before exercise get the most injuries.

Of course I'm perfectly safe, as I don't exercise.

Offline HaaTa

• Master Kiibohd Hunter
  • Kiibohds!
    • http://kiibohd.com
« Reply #53 on: Fri, 15 January 2010, 06:56:48 »
Quote from: Rajagra;151059
If you compare people who:
  • Stretch before exercise;
  • Stretch after exercise;
  • Stretch before and after exercise;
  • Don't stretch at all;

Of course I'm perfectly safe, as I don't exercise.

Depends how you are exercising, and what activities you are doing. Karate is something I really want to stretch before getting really tired (but after you are slightly warmed up).
I've put myself out of commission a couple of times for not stretching my legs (nothing serious, but still a couple of weeks to recover to where I was).

Mind you I never stretch before long mountain bicycle trips.
Kiibohd

ALWAYS looking for cool and interesting switches
I take requests for making keyboard converters (i.e. *old keyboard* to USB).

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #54 on: Fri, 15 January 2010, 07:48:35 »
Quote from: Rajagra;151059

There have been findings that people do indeed sustain injuries from stretching alone before exercise, but that hardly tells the full story. Most people are not qualified to be their own trainers and may be stretching too aggressively, especially for cold muscles. A good warmup makes the stretching easier and more beneficial to you.

I really doubt you'll find many martial artists who think it's a good idea to be executing high kicks and aerials without stretching.
« Last Edit: Fri, 15 January 2010, 07:54:31 by hyperlinked »
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline DreymaR

• Colemak forum guy
    • DreymaR's Big Bag of Kbd Tricks
« Reply #55 on: Fri, 15 January 2010, 07:51:40 »
Hyperlinked: You're wrong; I wouldn't be the least bit surprised.

On the other hand, from what I hear the fundamentals of chiropractism still are way more shoddily researched than they ought to be.

It doesn't help if many or most chiropractors use training physiotherapy to help people. I'd go to a proper one then, instead of mixing it up. Kinda like how homoeopathic practitioners mix up their game with all sorts of herbal medicine and whatnot (even including some 'classical' medicine at times!); still doesn't mean that old Hahnemann was right!!!
Better burden you cannot carry than man-wisdom much ~ Hávamál

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #56 on: Fri, 15 January 2010, 08:14:47 »
Quote from: DreymaR;151073
On the other hand, from what I hear the fundamentals of chiropractism still are way more shoddily researched than they ought to be.
I haven't studied any chiropractic research, but I have no trouble believing some of the research isn't exactly golden. I say this because just about anything dealing with orthopedic ailments of the spine is controversial in just about every field of practice.

Quote from: DreymaR;151073
It doesn't help if many or most chiropractors use training physiotherapy to help people. I'd go to a proper one then, instead of mixing it up.

That's not a bad policy to have. I don't know what the chiros are like where you're at and you may indeed be wise to avoid them for most general purposes. I happen to live near one of the best chiropractic colleges in the US and a lot of the ones around here tend to be class above your average chiro. I met a bunch of chiropractic students who were going there once and got a chance to look at their curriculum and pick through some of their course materials. These ones got a fair amount of training in rehab and exercise... not as much as any physio would, but enough to complement their treatments with some stretching and strengthening exercises.

That said, if I tore some knee ligaments, I sure as hell would not take a chiropractor's advice no matter where they got their credentials, but if my back was stiff, I'd be fine with taking some stretches and strengthening exercises from one.
-